HTML5 beta discussion

Urza285

It's rs3 because they rewrote the entire backend, even ignoring html5 there's a new back end engine.

Just like rs > rs2 was an entire back end rework.

It doesn't really need to have anything big and flashy to show as such, the fact the back end is changed entirely is reason enough imo.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Runetek is part of the backend but not the ENTIRE backend.

Runetek is like the array of code options available to make content.

The engine as a whole is the very back end that makes runetek work and the very fundamentals of how the game is being rendered from the ground up.

Runetek is like the 0.x upgrades, an entire rewrite is the x.0 upgrades.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Since the update on Tuesday night I haven't been able to play the NIS version itself, all I see is

26ROwZ2.png

I can move if I click on the minimap but then the screen flashes black and white really fast until I stop moving (I tried clearing the cache and changing browsers). I can kinda play if I use the HTML5 + NIS but that crashes/lags a good bit. This happening to many others?

howlin1eeveesig.png

The engine as a whole is the very back end that makes runetek work and the very fundamentals of how the game is being rendered from the ground up.

Runetek is the engine

Runetek is the engine

Not to my understanding.

Runetek is basically the translation engine that converts Runescript to stuff other systems can understand to produce results.

The engine itself, which is being recoded from the ground up for RS3, is the graphical, audio etc. etc components behind runetek that render what it is telling them too.

Plus runetek iterations have added big new features yes but they have never been an entire re-write, just bolt-ons of new things on a larger scale than the day-to-day minor additions.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I really hope that they are just neglecting the live client because of RuneScape 3's release, the number of bugs is getting [bleep]ing ridiculous. My client has a constantly flipping FPS which remains constant with everything enabled and everything disabled, when it worked fine just about a month ago. I'm seeing constant graphical bugs with the home teleports, teleporting somewhere and, oh look, there's a marker placed on your world map now. Load a new section? The map tears and my pathfinding is all screwed up, thanks Jagex I love doing the [bleep]ing choc-ice delivery part twenty frickin times because although my computer can play any other game on max settings, somehow RuneScape manages 5 fps on the lowest settings and transitioning between areas manages to cause the client to nearly crash. Oh and the sound just randomly stops working for short periods of time.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

It's rs3 because they rewrote the entire backend, even ignoring html5 there's a new back end engine.

Just like rs > rs2 was an entire back end rework.

It doesn't really need to have anything big and flashy to show as such, the fact the back end is changed entirely is reason enough imo.

Runetek is the engine

Not to my understanding.

Runetek is basically the translation engine that converts Runescript to stuff other systems can understand to produce results.

The engine itself, which is being recoded from the ground up for RS3, is the graphical, audio etc. etc components behind runetek that render what it is telling them too.

Plus runetek iterations have added big new features yes but they have never been an entire re-write, just bolt-ons of new things on a larger scale than the day-to-day minor additions.

RuneTek is the game engine upon which RuneScape runs. This includes the client-side and the server-side, I believe. The client portion, the bit you as a player use, has been rewritten in JavaScript and makes use of WebGL technology. The client handles rendering the game, sending your inputs to the server and responding to server messages.

The server-side portion is what is actually running the game simulation. It takes player inputs, determines the consequences of the actions, and updates the game and clients appropriately. It also handles things like NPCs, Quests, Combat, minigames and basically everything in the game. This makes use of the compiled RuneScript code as well as other gameplay systems built into the engine. RuneScript is compiled (into Java, I think) by a tool separate from the engine itself; the engine doesn't compile or "translate" any RuneScript itself. The server-side game engine, as far as I know, isn't changing beyond how it is usually updated. I highly doubt it's being rewritten. Do you have a source to back up your claims?

There's also backend infrastructure, hosted on servers, that includes things like lobby server software, login servers, database management, and all sorts of services made available through the game and website. They had to extend this infrastructure to allow for audio (and possibly other assets, but I'm not sure about that) streaming in the new client, but that's the only thing I have read that's being changed for "RuneScape 3".

This is all based on stuff I've read about the RuneScape technology and academic guesses based on my background as a games programmer.

Since the update on Tuesday night I haven't been able to play the NIS version itself, all I see is

26ROwZ2.png

I can move if I click on the minimap but then the screen flashes black and white really fast until I stop moving (I tried clearing the cache and changing browsers). I can kinda play if I use the HTML5 + NIS but that crashes/lags a good bit. This happening to many others?

This is happening to me and a lot of friends too, in the main game even!

Mostly it works again after refreshing the game and logging back in. It also seems to affect certain game worlds more than others.

Cat_4.png

Scheduled Maintenance 19th – 22nd July

16 hours ago

As part of our program of network infrastructure upgrades, scheduled maintenance will be taking place over the next few days. This programme is to resolve the server connectivity issues some players may have experienced over the past few weeks.

While the game worlds will remain open, there will be breaks in connectivity and potentially server disconnects during the following periods:

• Friday 19th July: 8am-9am BST
  • Friday 19th July: TBC (there will be a second round later in the day)
  • Saturday 20th July: 8am-9am BST
  • Sunday 21st July: 8am-9am BST
  • Monday 22nd July: 8am-9am BST

To help convert these times into your local time zone, please check out this useful website.

As there is a risk of disconnection, we urge players to not take part in any risky activity which could result in the loss of items or wealth during these periods.

Thank you for your continued patience.

The RuneScape Team

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

26ROwZ2.png

This is happening to me and a lot of friends too, in the main game even!

Mostly it works again after refreshing the game and logging back in. It also seems to affect certain game worlds more than others.

Nah mine hasn't come back yet, I reinstalled java and reset the laptop but no difference and there is only the one p2p beta world :/ The rs bestiary doesn't load for me either it keeps saying that there is a timeout.

howlin1eeveesig.png

Anyone else having sound issues in the current game? I'm getting no sounds at all ...

I can't mute some channels and others are always off. I can't even change the volume on any channel.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Yea. I think it's because the sound will be coming from a new server so they arent' implementing fixes to the old system right now.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I'm having the opposite problem where the sound and music will suddenly just cut and nothing else will come through no matter how you adjust your settings (until you restart the client). Probably something to do with the caching system they have for RS3 audio, as the music lasts longer if I turn off the sound effects but leave the music on (still eventually dies).

• Like 2

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I would like to formally kick all the people who told me that "hurr in the html5 you can scroll in to make the chat box text bigger lol!!"

Because zooming in the web page is not the same as making the chat text bigger. it makes the whole game bigger

Ahem

I also managed to get 30fps fullscreen with all the doohickies on high.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I am having no luck keeping the sound running at the moment. At times it works when I log in, then goes out. If I restart the client, it comes back on but only for a limited time.

I never realized just how much i listen for sound clues to tell me what's going on in-game. Suddenly -- not having sound is really off-putting! <_<

Whoa - your tech-speak is going way over my head ... :lol:

nyuseg.png

I am having no luck keeping the sound running at the moment. At times it works when I log in, then goes out. If I restart the client, it comes back on but only for a limited time.

I never realized just how much i listen for sound clues to tell me what's going on in-game. Suddenly -- not having sound is really off-putting! dry.gif

Whoa - your tech-speak is going way over my head ... :lol:

Same issue for me, 1 second it's there & then gone :(

I'm chopping Ivy at moment, using Tree Shaking Scrimshaw & the sound is vital for hearing all the nests drop & implings appear.

So frustrating............

the_lad_1.png

I would like to formally kick all the people who told me that "hurr in the html5 you can scroll in to make the chat box text bigger lol!!"

Because zooming in the web page is not the same as making the chat text bigger. it makes the whole game bigger

Ahem

When I tried it, only the interfaces were larger, not the actual game area...

Though zooming in/out too much spiked my RAM usage to 100%, which didn't make for a nice Nex kill.

Your kick missed.

Why do I have to code the returns into every post? -.-

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

There isn't any way to get rid of the little box with the 8 buttons on it, is there?

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum