11-Dec-2012 - Player-Owned Ports

chenw

I'm saying even if you knew all the values the actual problem you are trying to solve (mathematically speaking) is difficult. You have 20 some odd crew, up to 5 captains, several upgrades. I don't think the effort involved is really worth it...

This early in the game, it might seem pointless. Later when you have a higher tier ship with a crew that levels slowly, it might be worth it. I'll assume when you're up to Tier 6, the crew from that region will have a 1000 base stat and level pretty slow. By that time, you probably could start entering each crew in a calculator database that'll spit out your best set-up that minimizes necessary crew.

Hopefully by then Jagex will modify the crew interface so it's easy to arrange their positions. Right now it's annoying as their position changes every time you switch the crew around. I prefer mine to be in rows of combat, seafaring and moral from largest to smallest. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would prefer the ability to do this.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Love Pop so much.

xcsx7c.png | 3gliP.jpg | 51y5tv.png  |  8mO5K.jpg

A Blog to Bathtubs for Beginners
Quest Cape | 99 Defence Achieved 11-Jul-2011 17:41 | 99 Prayer 11-Jul-2012 | 99 Constitution 02-Aug-2012

99 Attack 31/10/2012 | 99 Dungeoneering 31/10/2012 | 99 Strength 31/10/2012 | 99 Magic 2/12/2012

99 Range 16/12/2012 | 99 Herblore 25/12/2012 | 99 Summoning 4/1/2013 | 99 Firemaking 6/3/2013

99 Farming 10/4/2013 | 99 Slayer 11/7/2013 | 99 Fletching 21/8/2013  |  99 Smithing 22/8/2013 

99 Crafting 19/12/2013  |  99 Cooking 15/1/2014  |  99 Agility 25/1/2014  |  99 Thieving 01/02/2014

99 Construction 21/04/2014  |  99 Woodcutting 04/03/2014  |  99 Fishing 17/04/2014  |  99 Mining 23/07/2015

99 Divination 27/07/2015  |  99 Runecrafting 20/08/2015  |  99 Hunter 20/08/2015  | Maxed 20/08/2015

Just an FYI, best bang for you buck upgrades is deck items, you get in both deck slots on all your ships buying it once.

• Like 1

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Normal voyages

Morale: 1.6k

combat: 3k

Morale/Combat/Seafaring: 2k

Special voyages

Seafaring 3k

Morale/Combat: 2k

Morale/Seafaring 2.4k

Combat 4k

Am I doing something wrong if I can't get my numbers near that high?

Imo the requirements are going up a bit too steep.

howlin1eeveesig.png

Normal voyages

Special voyages

Seafaring 3k

Morale/Seafaring 2.4k

Combat 4k

If you are hiring a crew over upgrading ship like deck items 1 & 2 (always upgrade these first) on ships i would say that you are doing it wrong. Crew always comes after. At this stage you should easily be able to do all standard voyages 3-5k total voyages is most likely left with a bit of chance right now but you should be able to get all 2k voyages with 100% by now.

Do you completly understand the system of what stats fit for each voyage?

the requirements are going up faster than we can seemingly get our ship improved, that's my experience anyway.

on a plus side, I have been completing voyages with % ratings as low as 48% (did my scroll voyage with 58% rating), so that kind of makes up for it.

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

Normal voyages

Special voyages

Seafaring 3k

Morale/Seafaring 2.4k

Combat 4k

Pretty sure it's not going to get any harder until you unlock the next region. In other words, once you lvl up your ship/crew enough to handle these tasks, it'll be pretty easy till you're done with The Skull

77yLQy8.png

Normal voyages

Special voyages

Seafaring 3k

Morale/Seafaring 2.4k

Combat 4k

Pretty sure it's not going to get any harder until you unlock the next region. In other words, once you lvl up your ship/crew enough to handle these tasks, it'll be pretty easy till you're done with The Skull

We will have same issue when we reach third area though, like we did going from arc to skull, we won't really be able to train at skull anymore because we'll need slate from the third area for ship/crew and the reqs. will only get even higher when we move to third area. it's going to be a viscous circle.

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

If you are hiring a crew over upgrading ship like deck items 1 & 2 (always upgrade these first) on ships i would say that you are doing it wrong. Crew always comes after. At this stage you should easily be able to do all standard voyages 3-5k total voyages is most likely left with a bit of chance right now but you should be able to get all 2k voyages with 100% by now.

Do you completly understand the system of what stats fit for each voyage?

I did hire a few crew alright, but I have done a few upgrades for the ship as well.

I'm not sure what you mean about the stats part. I know different crew and ship parts give different amount of rating and the success % is based on your lowest number rating for that voyage.

howlin1eeveesig.png

Honestly it is too complex because crew stats and helpfulness are pretty much this:

Crew profession: 90, 150, 350, etc. base morale, combat, speed, seafaring.

crew personality: misc. bonuses to certain stats (i.e. "once punched a porpoise" giving extra combat points on purchase)

Crew traits: further bonuses to stats or special abilities (i.e. eager, plucky, eagle eyed, etc.)

Level: increases base stats by +10 per level.

Honestly thinking about this I wouldn't be surprised to see someone create a program that lets you give in-put for all your crew (pretty easy, but transferring over some trait effects might be harder) and ship layout to calculate the best combination.

I would imagine it looking like any other calculator. Drop down boxes for highest useable ship gear. Next in-put all complete crew stats (50 potential crew members was assumed earlier in the thread). Maybe a check box for solidarity?

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I'm not saying the app would be difficult, but solving the problem would basically need to bruteforce all possible crew/captain/ship combos

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I'm not saying the app would be difficult, but solving the problem would basically need to bruteforce all possible crew/captain/ship combos

You could create three arrays, one for each type, sort them based on value, then subtract them from the necessary value until it is less than zero. You would have to run one simulation per combination of ship upgrades, but that shouldn't be too many loops. Hopefully someone can think of a better algorithm for the ship.

I get a little more annoyed every time someone sounds surprised when they succeed with a mediocre success rate or when they fail with a high one.

Do you get annoyed every time people are surprised to get rare PvM drops too? :P

No because the odds are significantly lower in most cases.

my issue with attempting to upgrade the ship over the crew is that the second tier upgrades cost much more than the crew in gunpowder, which quickly outweighs whatever benefit you would have gotten at that point

as opposed to each new second tier crew member having a clear up to 200 point advantage over their arc counterparts, each one essential to succeeding at the horribly stacked missions that you have to go on to get gunpowder

the third tier is probably going to get a bit crazy

8f14270694.jpg

I had sirens that cost 300 and the next rigging that costs 300. I get +500 seafaring for the rigging and + 160 over the guy I would replace.

Archermanme.png

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Except its not that they give +350. They only give +150 over the guy you need to replace. If your not going to believe me that 300 gun powder to unlock the rigging on all slots on all boats is better that's fine. Your loss enjoy the 3k + requirements.

Archermanme.png

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

guys i need to replace start at 150 stat, which means i'm getting around 200 in improvements per man, minus whatever the old guys had in minimal boosts from leveling, which the longer i put off getting the new guys, the less experience i have for them when i get them. this means that instead of waiting to save up for one big bonus and then buying it all at once (while going on missions that have 50% or less chance because i'm stuck with the old guys), i get three guys in increments so they can help get more gunpowder, they gain levels and stats while doing so, and by the time you've saved up for the rigging, i've exceeded the 500 flat bonus that you waited to get even before i've gained any experience to begin with.

AND i have 30 gunpowder left over.

having the bonus to all ships is nice but i usually wait for the optimal loadouts anyway because there's more than enough time at the moment to do so, which means improvements to one type of stat on all boats are useless to me when i need the full load of the best crew to succeed on the numerous high difficulty missions that keep coming in. the only time i use that kind of thing is when i'm launching multitype missions and at that point i still need the best crew in all types plus an overseer to pull his full weight on the crew to get sufficient mass.

all of the other boat upgrades for their respective stats are still not worth as much as the increasing returns from monocolor crew of the same tier.

8f14270694.jpg

That shouldn't be a problem though. You have 5 slots, each which can have one of 25 possible people, plus a captain slot with one of 5, plus 2 decks with 3 options, plus 1 ram with 2 options, plus 1 hull with 2 options. This gives 1.75 billion possibilities. Most will be duplicates because order of the two decks and 5 crew slots is unimportant, so if we have an algorithm which doesn't multiple count them 7.3 million. We could also make this much more efficient by not calculating combinations that are clearly worse (such as using a morale ram for a mission that doesn't use morale). Or by optimizing each of the non-crew slots individually. The actual calculation for each combination is just adding and multiplying and some if statements for special abilities, so the computation time is really fast. I can't see a calculation like this taking more than a minute, even with a really naive algorithm. The time-consuming part would be inputting the data from the game.

Helical.png

Yeah at most you are just adjusting a few fields every hour or 2 depending on if that crew leveled on its last journey. The data input isn't really that intensive especially after it's initially input.

~ Arcane Rift ~

:: 99 Smithing - 2007-03-04 ::

::
:: 99 Crafting - 2007-06-18 :: 99 Fletching - 2007-08-27 ::

:: 99 Strength - 2009-05-28 ::

:: 99 Prayer - 2011-11-27 ::
:: 99 Slayer - 2012-01-15 ::

:: 99 Summoning - 2012-12-07 :: 99 Firemaking - 2012-12-09 :: 99 Woodcutting - 2013-01-17 :: 99 Mining - 2013-01-31 ::