11-Dec-2012 - Player-Owned Ports

chenw

Question regarding special voyages...

Right now I've got 4 special voyages available...

Missionary: Story reward

Missionary: Chimes/gunpowder reward

Biologist: Story reward

Biologist: Chimes/gunpowder reward

If I do the biologist's story voyage, does that remove the biologist's chimes/gunpowder one afterwards? If I do her chimes/gunpowder one first, will that remove the story voyage? Do the biologist's voyages have any effect on the missionary's?

In other words... what order should I do those special voyages in?

You can only do one special voyage for the same adventurer per day. So if you do one you can't do the other, the order doesn't matter. The adventurers have no effect on the other adventurer with the exception of adventurers that can partner together for a special voyage (missionary and biologist can't anyway).

So if I do the Biologist: Chimes/gunpowder reward voyage, can I still do the Biologist: Story reward voyage today (I know doing the biologist voyage will remove the assassin voyage for today)?

howlin1eeveesig.png

also, doing the biologist mission will not remove the assassin mission

the rule is one mission for a person per day

that means joint missions count as the mission for that day for both characters

subsequently, the rewards are much higher for those, but also, the challenge too

8f14270694.jpg

Now that I'm well into the skull region voyages, I'm beginning to doubt the advice to upgrade the ship before the crew. The 350 skill crew have been allowing me to meet the standard voyage requirements at 100%. Yes, if you can upgrade the ship go for it. But a set of crewman (perhaps 5 or 6 of each type) gives you similar variety at similar cost. Moreso early on as you only have 2 ships. I'm sure with three or four ships later on, the upgrades will really shine.

For now, I'm saving the gossip event till next week as I'll have a stronger crew. I also have a scroll piece mission lined up. It's 3k seafaring but I'll have two to three guides with 420 seafaring each so I'm not worried.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Didn't noticed anyone said that, but be sure when you confirm voyage there is no way to cancel it. Also just wandering now we are lack of resources but in far far away future will be there option in market to exchange products or something like that or even between players ? I know this mini-game looks fun, but its another nail into Runescape singleplayer-community.

"Mieć milion i nie mieć miliona to razem dwa miliony" A. Sapkowski

make special note of where the next navigator's upgrade materials are. you won't be getting a third ship for a while, and by then, the captains are so kickass at that point that having older captains will not really help you that much.

as for staying at the arc region...a losing strategy. crew bought with gunpowder are so much better than bamboo that any trips for bamboo are just an utter waste once you've bought a full crew and upgrades with bamboo. leveled tier 1 crew can't even compare to a tier 2 crew member, much less a tier 2 crew with just one additional level.

which can be accomplished within two days.

tier 2 will likely be slower as it takes time to get all the upgrades that gunpowder can buy, but you will probably be well prepared for tier 3 at that point.

or at least, prepared to find out that the requirements are even more staggering than tier 2, lol.

edit: okay look at this

how can you tell me this isn't worth 90 gunpowder

stats_zpsb5633338.png

I'm stocking up resources for the 800 (!) speed crewmember I can hire...

Vmser.png

I'd advise against that actually, I bought him and actually saw no appreciable decrease in voyage time compared to having my dwarf engineer. There's probably a speed cutoff that determines how much time you can cut from a voyage.

Also when dealing with all the insane requirements at the moment, there's usually not much space to slot him in :P

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Tbh I think voyage time only matters when you can fit them in on end game voyages. Otherwise do your best to meet voyage specs.

On another note two on my voyages failed tonight. Ship repairs, but that's it really.

At the end of the day make sure you use all your rerolls to get those most out of your daily limit. Especially if you aren't confident in your set voyages or crew you want to hire.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

As for calcing optimum solutions with scripts - it's not all that easy.

Assume the following:

5 boat part slots, consider the best option for seafaring/morale/combat on them only (= 3 options per slot) as speed is not a req => 3^5 combinations possible = 243 combinations.

4 captains to choose 1 from: 4 combinations

20 crew to select 5 from = 20! / 5! / (20-5)! = 15504 options

So without adding bonus effects, just ship + crew selection gives you 15.069.888 options (=243 x 4 x 15504).

For each of those calculations you need to

- add up 3x12 values (for each of combat/morale and seafaring, and for 5 ship items + 6 crew + ship base stats)

- calculate total bonus from crew special boosts (3 x 6 times to determine total multiplier)

- apply multiplier (3x1 times)

That's 57 calculations per option tested.

For each of those combinations you need to check if it beats the best solution you had before - based on the requirements.

To do so, you divide the total in each of the 3 stats by their requirements (check if not zero, divide, find the minimum % obtained on the requirements, compare to stored best solution. That's 4 more, totalling 61 calculations per option.

61 calcs/option x 15.069.888 options = 919.263.168 calculations to find the best setup.

That seems an awful lot - but if coded efficiently it's doable.

However, this only allows you to find the very highest option you can do for the requirements asked. Ideally, you'd use all 4 fields (including speed), so that if there's a combination that gives you 100% (and if so most likely there's multiple), the ideal solution is the one that has 100% succes but has the highest speed value and thus the shortest trip.

Doing so would give 15504 x (4 x11 + 4x12 + 4x6 + 4 + 4) = 1.868.666.112 options.

To make matters worse: The above doesn't even include using booster effects (from random events). If no solution reaches 100% it should output that available boosters could be appropriate to increase odds.

The above math is still rather rought - Just wanted to show that it's easy to get huge amounts of calculations needed for a simple task.

EDIT: Disregard the above numbers - its even worse. There's 5 captains (not 4) and mostly theres 25 crew rather then 20.

The 15504 should be 53130 and the 5 for captains should be 4, so the number of calculations needed is roughly 4.28 times higher.

If I feel like it I'll correct the above - but theres little point basically.

For the last case it comes to around 8 billion calculations to find an optimum.

• Like 1
Vmser.png

I'd advise against that actually, I bought him and actually saw no appreciable decrease in voyage time compared to having my dwarf engineer. There's probably a speed cutoff that determines how much time you can cut from a voyage.

Also when dealing with all the insane requirements at the moment, there's usually not much space to slot him in :P

I get the feeling speed stat will have greater effect once you are travelling further.

After all the rudder slot is there purely for speed with +1800 on the top level and jagex wiki talks about purple-hatted speed crew that we don't seem to of seen yet.

Wouldn't surprise me if speed stat is kind of dumbed down until 3rd or 4th region when speed crew get 'unlocked'

NB: When saying speed crew I specifically mean the purple hatted crew in the same way red are cmb blue are sea and green are morale I am not refering to unique/special units that may or may not have speed stats attached.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Didn't noticed anyone said that, but be sure when you confirm voyage there is no way to cancel it. Also just wandering now we are lack of resources but in far far away future will be there option in market to exchange products or something like that or even between players ? I know this mini-game looks fun, but its another nail into Runescape singleplayer-community.

I was being stalkerish and tracking Moltares posts on the forums, apparantly they intended to allow you to have guests in your port but they simply ran out of time. Hopefully theyll add that and if they add cool group functions or trading or something that'd be nice too!

Though to be honest, with the XP WASTE!!! community we have, most minigames are botted, the social ones have tumbleweeds and the dung groups I find arent great.

Runescape player since 6th November, 2003

pen_chef.png

pen_chef.png

flubbersig.jpg

I was being stalkerish and tracking Moltares posts on the forums, apparantly they intended to allow you to have guests in your port but they simply ran out of time. Hopefully theyll add that and if they add cool group functions or trading or something that'd be nice too!

Though to be honest, with the XP WASTE!!! community we have, most minigames are botted, the social ones have tumbleweeds and the dung groups I find arent great.

I'm really glad we'll have guests eventually.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I get the feeling speed stat will have greater effect once you are travelling further.

After all the rudder slot is there purely for speed with +1800 on the top level and jagex wiki talks about purple-hatted speed crew that we don't seem to of seen yet.

Yea that's what I'm worried about aswell. The longer voyage duration is an issue for me on work days - shorter trips might mean the extra voyage a day.

• Like 1
Vmser.png

Wall of calcs...

Isn't it an option to disregard lower crews?

For example I have a crew with 500 Seafaring and one with 250 Seafaring. Then it should ignore the lower one till its needed? Like a priority system?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Yea that's what I'm worried about aswell. The longer voyage duration is an issue for me on work days - shorter trips might mean the extra voyage a day.

This has been on my mind for the past few days. I mean I'll be lucky to get 2 voyages in when I get home from work, two maybe before sleeping, two when I wake up and bam they reset. I might be able to set another two on my break at work, but eh.... I don't know.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

What does "survivor of five keelhaulings" do?

Prove that the crew of the Black Pearl really is cursed. :P

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

In case nobody mentioned it (being lazy and cba to read the other pages)

But if you have 2 special voyages for 1 character, you can only perform one of these voyages. The other special voyage will be turned into a normal voyage; at least it did for me.

Note that I didn't have any normal voyages left as the 2 special voyages were my last ones; performed one and the other special turned to a normal voyage.

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

But if you have 2 special voyages for 1 character, you can only perform one of these voyages. The other special voyage will be turned into a normal voyage; at least it did for me.

Note that I didn't have any normal voyages left as the 2 special voyages were my last ones; performed one and the other special turned to a normal voyage.

Hmmm... I just chose my whaler scroll special voyage out of 3 possible voyages for his character, but they didn't give me normal voyages extra instead. Maybe after its return? I still have two assassin special voyages in the list though, maybe that's a factor too.

I am absolutely adoring this update by the way. It's been a long time since I was this keen on logging in.

In my experience this is not quite true.

Within special voyages doing a story progress voyage (successfully) seems to remove that adventurer and any related quests, but special voyages that are just for larger bounties or scrolls won't do this.

Eg of your special voyages you should leave story progress to last on any given day.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Just for some additional information, I just had a special voyage that I had both the whaler and the biologist in and a separate special voyage with just the whaler in it. Since the special voyage with just the whaler in it had a scroll, I chose it first and it changed my other special voyage from whaler + biologist with: (4k seafarer requirement and 700 chimes + 350 gunpowder as reward) to biologist with: (2.4k morale & seafarer requirement and 500 chimes + 250 gunpowder).

Just noting this information, since I was a bit confused before and thought that if I had done any voyage with the same adventurers that it would remove all others, but it just removes the adventurer from joined voyages, changes requirements and lowers the reward.

I sent my whaler on a scroll voyage and he left port after voyage removing his higher bounty voyage and his story progression voyage completely. On a similar note I did my occultist's story progression and she left port after to, removing her higher bounty voyage.

Basically if you see a scroll voyage, do it first as you may risk losing your chance at a scroll if you a story or bounty voyage first.

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.