11-Dec-2012 - Player-Owned Ports

chenw

I'd much rather have challenging missions and have to gamble on an 80% success rate sometimes than have "Go slaughter some mudcrabs on pony island, beware their fearsome claws!: 200 combat/morale requirement"

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

I'd much rather have challenging missions and have to gamble on an 80% success rate sometimes than have "Go slaughter some mudcrabs on pony island, beware their fearsome claws!: 200 combat/morale requirement"

Completely agree. What's the fun in always having 100% success rates.

• Like 1

I would be one of those guys who, unless it is actually 100%, will fail any voyages, without fail...

RS RNG hates me to the bone

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

i'm getting at least 80% with all the crews upgraded....i think the skull region will be very relaxing

btw, the backstory underneath the traits adds personal stats depending on which one it is. some of them are useless. others are pretty awesome.

8f14270694.jpg

Now that I have finally gotten to sending my ships (day 2) I am very much enjoying this, mostly fishing while I wait for my ships to return. Good to know that you still want some seafaring and moral when you don't need it. So far so good though. Right now I have ships out to get me money because I am going to need cannons to get a ship up to 2000 combat. If they really haul it in, I can go back for a battle hull as well for another 50 points, but I think the cannons should do it. Glad I picked up a second golem, and my cyclops is going up nicely.

I am also going to assume that a third ship, when I can get it, will increase my missions per day, so I brought on a third captain and 6 additional crew (I wanted that second golem). I do seem to have an elite set who go on most of the best missions, but training up a third crew in preperation is affording me nice flexibility. So far I've been able to get my ships over 90% pretty much every time, and in cases where I can't, I've been able to do other missions so that I can, either by training my crews or getting new toys for my ship.

And I'm going to be different and say that I like the place being instanced and a bit empty. I mean, I wouldn't mind it bustling with NPC's, but if I am going to be the port master, I really want to be the only one. I want it to me my port where I can go to get away from the players.

I also massively dislike the combinations for combination special missions. There are two other skills I would consider pushing towards 90 for this, and the three I would have are all in different categories. I'd prefer if they had done it so that have any 2 or any 3 of the skills would give you this option, rather than only any 4 guaranteeing you combo runs.

vAn4o.png

Eating my words right now.

• Like 2

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

I definitely herped when I should've derped. Had a scroll mission from The Missionary -- but I neglected to realize ALL of my day's special voyages were from the missionary. So, like a herp I chose to continue his storyline, despite others here on the topic cautioning against it. I just completely forgot.

I cannot contain my rage right now.

• Like 1

hzvjpwS.gif

my issue with attempting to upgrade the ship over the crew is that the second tier upgrades cost much more than the crew in gunpowder, which quickly outweighs whatever benefit you would have gotten at that point

as opposed to each new second tier crew member having a clear up to 200 point advantage over their arc counterparts, each one essential to succeeding at the horribly stacked missions that you have to go on to get gunpowder

the third tier is probably going to get a bit crazy

Perhaps, just perhaps, the idea is to not concentrate on an area until you can 80+ that area consistently. So, at the port master set concentration to the arc region. You'll still get the occasional skull region but you're building up bamboo and chimes with the occasional gunpowder. The occasional skull voyage (for gunpowder) will be a lower percentage chance of success, but you'll have more resources for repairs and crew replacement.

Then again, we're only three or four days in so the strategy is new.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

make special note of where the next navigator's upgrade materials are. you won't be getting a third ship for a while, and by then, the captains are so kickass at that point that having older captains will not really help you that much.

as for staying at the arc region...a losing strategy. crew bought with gunpowder are so much better than bamboo that any trips for bamboo are just an utter waste once you've bought a full crew and upgrades with bamboo. leveled tier 1 crew can't even compare to a tier 2 crew member, much less a tier 2 crew with just one additional level.

which can be accomplished within two days.

tier 2 will likely be slower as it takes time to get all the upgrades that gunpowder can buy, but you will probably be well prepared for tier 3 at that point.

or at least, prepared to find out that the requirements are even more staggering than tier 2, lol.

edit: okay look at this

how can you tell me this isn't worth 90 gunpowder

stats_zpsb5633338.png

8f14270694.jpg

I definitely herped when I should've derped. Had a scroll mission from The Missionary -- but I neglected to realize ALL of my day's special voyages were from the missionary. So, like a herp I chose to continue his storyline, despite others here on the topic cautioning against it. I just completely forgot.

I cannot contain my rage right now.

I just did this losing like 3 of my special voyages. FML FML FML FMLLLLLLLL!

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Hey people, just dropping by to share you my amazement with this awesome update, did not expect it to be this good.

have a few questions though

Is there a way to remove traits? because i got a trait mission, and i sent my best captain on it, and she got misery guts, now she both increases and decreases the morale of the crew.

(pic related)

jillthorn3.png

Also anyone found a way to recruit Seasinger Umi? When i first talked to her and heard that she was a siren wanting to learn the art of signing, but is spending her days sweeping the port i realised that probably later she will be recruitable (as a captain possibly). And today my new guest captain gave me an advice when i talked to her, saying that getting a siren into a crew is really valuable, and she even said that i should try talking to the one in the docks about it. Hm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Question regarding special voyages...

Right now I've got 4 special voyages available...

Missionary: Story reward

Missionary: Chimes/gunpowder reward

Biologist: Story reward

Biologist: Chimes/gunpowder reward

If I do the biologist's story voyage, does that remove the biologist's chimes/gunpowder one afterwards? If I do her chimes/gunpowder one first, will that remove the story voyage? Do the biologist's voyages have any effect on the missionary's?

In other words... what order should I do those special voyages in?

77yLQy8.png

Question regarding special voyages...

Right now I've got 4 special voyages available...

Missionary: Story reward

Missionary: Chimes/gunpowder reward

Biologist: Story reward

Biologist: Chimes/gunpowder reward

If I do the biologist's story voyage, does that remove the biologist's chimes/gunpowder one afterwards? If I do her chimes/gunpowder one first, will that remove the story voyage? Do the biologist's voyages have any effect on the missionary's?

In other words... what order should I do those special voyages in?

You can only do one special voyage for the same adventurer per day. So if you do one you can't do the other, the order doesn't matter. The adventurers have no effect on the other adventurer with the exception of adventurers that can partner together for a special voyage (missionary and biologist can't anyway).

If my cyclops died...I'd eat my ship. At least he has rallying cry instead of suicidal hero like my golems (note to self: always put a golem on dangerous missions with cyclops).

I am nervous about the skull region. On the one hand, staying the arc for another day means I'm pretty much twiddling my thumbs. All my crew are levels 2 and 3, I have a cyclops, and pretty much every upgrade I can buy for my ship, and I'll probably have everything bamboo can handle by the last voyage (I am missing a hull).

I could however level up my crew some more, as I am not entirely on top of the Arc. As I type, I have a ship sitting in port doing jack, because if I send out both ships during the last 3 missions I have a bigger chance of killing someone than I like, especially since I'm not exactly on the clock. While my crew can handle anything in the Arc if the whole pool is available, it is a challenge to equip a second ship when the first keeps stealing the better people. In particular, I could really go for another first mate. His solidarity and his own skills have made him my best crew bar none. There is not a single mission that he can't make (substantially) more doable.

Honestly I think as long as you are being progressive with ports it shouldn't be an issue. You should be able to do all of each regions missions, but yeah you'll fail. Just make sure you buy upgrades to your ship and crew accordingly for missions that mean most to your progression. You shouldn't be fearful and loafing in the easier islands because you are losing out on potentially better crew, resources and ultimately upgrades. So in the end its better to bruteforce it so long as your odds are favorable to you. In my eyes favorable odds are anything over 50%. You just need to make sure that you are putting your best forward for that voyage and expecting the worst. Last tidbit... Save your random event rewards for those special occasions.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Hey,

I made a player owned ports configurator. I have no error checking however, so you have to enter sane input. Basically, this is an alpha release. The whole thing is just some JavaScript. Here is a lookie:

Aixy5.png

I'm going to finish it tomorrow (it's 3:00 AM here!), but it's still usable. Be wary of entering *too much* data, it could be slow on older computers. Also I've only tested it on the latest Firefox stable...

Also, abilities don't work...

ozXHe7P.png

Nice, I was actually toying with the idea of writing a program myself in Java to figure out the best crew combinations. Cept I can't really do a GUI yet, or save information to a file. Kind of need the second one.

A particular feature I would like, though I have only begun to toy around with how I would set up the math, is two ship optimization. Essentially to see what crew I would use to send two ships on two missions, and to check to see if it's viable. I can build a single crew pretty fast, but depending on how I do it for some missions, I can make sending out the other ship a very bad idea