11-Dec-2012 - Player-Owned Ports

chenw

Anyone know of a formula I could use in excel or google docs that could pull the best stats based on the totals needed for a mission? Let's say in this example I need 1000 Morale and 1000 Seafaring. It would search each combo of crew, ship upgrades, building bonuses, etc. and provide me with which set of those could yield the highest percentage for that mission.

That's actually not a trivial problem. I'm fairly sure it would take a really complex excel formula to figure it out.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Now that I've properly gotten the hang of this, I think I can safely say that this is the best update they've done in years (Or perhaps since DG, rather).

IT'S SO AWESOME.

• Like 7

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

Now that I've properly gotten the hang of this, I think I can safely say that this is the best update they've done in years (Or perhaps since DG, rather).

IT'S SO AWESOME.

I'll take this as a rough translation as:

kMNKg.png

But I agree, it is pretty fun. I just wish it wasn't restricted ;_;

• Like 5

hzvjpwS.gif

Anyone know of a formula I could use in excel or google docs that could pull the best stats based on the totals needed for a mission? Let's say in this example I need 1000 Morale and 1000 Seafaring. It would search each combo of crew, ship upgrades, building bonuses, etc. and provide me with which set of those could yield the highest percentage for that mission.

That's actually not a trivial problem. I'm fairly sure it would take a really complex excel formula to figure it out.

The easiest(and it's really still probably not too easy) way would probably make the user input their own crew member's stats individually because of level and trait boosts. And then you have to take into account how other crew member's traits effect them. It really seems like it's more trouble than it's worth IMO.

The easiest(and it's really still probably not too easy) way would probably make the user input their own crew member's stats individually because of level and trait boosts. And then you have to take into account how other crew member's traits effect them. It really seems like it's more trouble than it's worth IMO.

Well yeah that's what I'd be doing. I'd enter all the stats as I upgrade them and it would search out the best percentage. Maybe one of the fan sites will create a calculator that could do this after the D&D has been out for some time.

~ Arcane Rift ~

:: 99 Smithing - 2007-03-04 ::

::
:: 99 Crafting - 2007-06-18 :: 99 Fletching - 2007-08-27 ::

:: 99 Strength - 2009-05-28 ::

:: 99 Prayer - 2011-11-27 ::
:: 99 Slayer - 2012-01-15 ::

:: 99 Summoning - 2012-12-07 :: 99 Firemaking - 2012-12-09 :: 99 Woodcutting - 2013-01-17 :: 99 Mining - 2013-01-31 ::

Well yeah that's what I'd be doing. I'd enter all the stats as I upgrade them and it would search out the best percentage. Maybe one of the fan sites will create a calculator that could do this after the D&D has been out for some time.

Not only that you'd want it to max it out with the least number of crew possible, so that you could send out whoever for the extra slots.

EDIT: Started diddling with a spread sheet, one major problem that I see is that you need to be able to label each person, which you cant as they usually share the same names. Along with this, you'd have to update every time a voyage came back and people leveled up.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

I'm saying even if you knew all the values the actual problem you are trying to solve (mathematically speaking) is difficult. You have 20 some odd crew, up to 5 captains, several upgrades. I don't think the effort involved is really worth it...

Serena_Sedai.png

I'm saying even if you knew all the values the actual problem you are trying to solve (mathematically speaking) is difficult. You have 20 some odd crew, up to 5 captains, several upgrades. I don't think the effort involved is really worth it...

This^

It's such a complex problem that I doubt excel could even do it you'd need a fully fledged php coded database thing.

And even if someone DID code a calculator it wouldn't be worth sharing due to the sheer time required to personally enter your crew details, which upgrades you own and the voyage requirements.

Kind of problem it's much easier for a human mind to deal with in live time by being able to see which is a bit low and trying to shuffle numbers to work.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

The human approach will often find acceptable solutions though difficult to prove they're the optimal one. However it is much much simpler than editing a database/spreadsheet with each crew and maintaining that value for upgrades and crew level ups.

I think finding good but maybe not perfect solutions is good, and it is a great way to stretch your skills.

Serena_Sedai.png

Damn nice scroll piece. I think one tactic people might want to start doing is holding off on upgrades and crew hires for the day until the next voyage release. The logic behind this is if you find a scroll voyage then you can select the most useful ship upgrades and crew thereafter.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Damn nice scroll piece. I think one tactic people might want to start doing is holding off on upgrades and crew hires for the day until the next voyage release. The logic behind this is if you find a scroll voyage then you can select the most useful ship upgrades and crew thereafter.

I'd say Hull upgrades are pretty much exempt from this though as they give you boosts to everything even if one stat gets more than the other.

I just bought the Golden Hull upgrade for this reason. Probably going to go for upgrading the warehouse next unless I find I need some deck upgrades which I probably will.

Sylpheed.png

I need more voyages per day, it's just not enough@

• Like 2

Requiescat in pace, Shiva "Anarith" Kumar.
dea6a17b9c.png
351 Quest Points|99 Strength|99 Attack|99 Constitution|99 Defence|99 Magic|138 Combat|99 Summoning|99 Slayer|99 Ranged|99 Firemaking|99 Dungeoneering|99 Cooking|99 Prayer|99 Runecrafting|99 Smithing|99 Fletching|99 Construction|99 Farming|99 Fishing|99 Herblore|99 Crafting|99 Agility
True friends are never separated by distance, for they are forever linked by their hearts.

Join the HYT CLAN![qfc]90-91-310-65710712[/qfc]

About those random events, is there any set time on when they appear or is just completely random? Because I've only had one, which was after the reset on Wednesday.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

About those random events, is there any set time on when they appear or is just completely random? Because I've only had one, which was after the reset on Wednesday.

Random, there are traits that increase it tho.

Random events happen after your ships return and are completely random although certain traits can increase the chances of them happening. The barmaid gossip thing might be set time.

Barmaid gossip I believe is every week on thursday GMT And I believe it's best to get it after the voyages are done so you gain a voyage instead of it replacing one. (or do it first before the voyage page has been refreshed.. not sure)

Serena_Sedai.png

If you take the barmaid gossip when you have a voyage in the third slot, it replaces it but grants you a re-roll in its place. Quite nice if you have a voyage in that slot thats a pain

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

This^

It's such a complex problem that I doubt excel could even do it you'd need a fully fledged php coded database thing.

And even if someone DID code a calculator it wouldn't be worth sharing due to the sheer time required to personally enter your crew details, which upgrades you own and the voyage requirements.

Kind of problem it's much easier for a human mind to deal with in live time by being able to see which is a bit low and trying to shuffle numbers to work.

Just because both of us think it's complex doesn't mean the next person that reads it does. I'm sure it can be done in excel but probably would require a VB script but I'm not sure hence the reason I'm asking.

~ Arcane Rift ~

:: 99 Smithing - 2007-03-04 ::

:: 99 Crafting - 2007-06-18 :: 99 Fletching - 2007-08-27 ::

:: 99 Strength - 2009-05-28 ::

:: 99 Prayer - 2011-11-27 ::
:: 99 Slayer - 2012-01-15 ::

:: 99 Summoning - 2012-12-07 :: 99 Firemaking - 2012-12-09 :: 99 Woodcutting - 2013-01-17 :: 99 Mining - 2013-01-31 ::

random has a chance to appear after any completed voyage, don't forget to check after your ships are debriefed

you can increase chances of randoms by building certain totems

8f14270694.jpg

random has a chance to appear after any completed voyage, don't forget to check after your ships are debriefed

you can increase chances of randoms by building certain totems

Or crew with the 'Good Fortune' trait.

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

I need more voyages per day, it's just not enough@

This ^

xcsx7c.png | 3gliP.jpg | 51y5tv.png  |  8mO5K.jpg

A Blog to Bathtubs for Beginners
Quest Cape | 99 Defence Achieved 11-Jul-2011 17:41 | 99 Prayer 11-Jul-2012 | 99 Constitution 02-Aug-2012

99 Attack 31/10/2012 | 99 Dungeoneering 31/10/2012 | 99 Strength 31/10/2012 | 99 Magic 2/12/2012

99 Range 16/12/2012 | 99 Herblore 25/12/2012 | 99 Summoning 4/1/2013 | 99 Firemaking 6/3/2013

99 Farming 10/4/2013 | 99 Slayer 11/7/2013 | 99 Fletching 21/8/2013  |  99 Smithing 22/8/2013 

99 Crafting 19/12/2013  |  99 Cooking 15/1/2014  |  99 Agility 25/1/2014  |  99 Thieving 01/02/2014

99 Construction 21/04/2014  |  99 Woodcutting 04/03/2014  |  99 Fishing 17/04/2014  |  99 Mining 23/07/2015

99 Divination 27/07/2015  |  99 Runecrafting 20/08/2015  |  99 Hunter 20/08/2015  | Maxed 20/08/2015