7-Jan-2014 - Player-Owned Ports - The Next Journey

Saradomin_Mage

They could at least have added some personal rooms for the player (with a PoH portal and wardrobe/dresser/bed, just copy some PoH hotspots), above the office or something, put an armour stand and workbench above the workshop (again, PoH hotspots) and put the trader on the second floor of the lodgings (cause that's where guests stay, right?). Also the warehouse upgrades require minimal effort, considering it's just adding a stack of terracotta, a stack of azure and a couple of miscellaneous items. That the fletching bench in the workshop isn't used to make death lotus darts is stupid as well. And why haven't we gotten spicy overloads yet?

• Like 2

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

So I got the seasinger umi random.

yvhh5Kx.gif

I MUST GO, MY PEOPLE NEED ME.

Luckily this random event doesn't have a timer, so I an take as long as I like.

Stretching glitches are my favorites. Have you recently done any old quests with Osman in them? 10/10

5QeQw.png

• Like 2

That the fletching bench in the workshop isn't used to make death lotus darts is stupid as well.

I thought the fletching bench in the workshop was a "Scrimshaw crafter" precisely, and we make the darts on the crafting bench outside anyway.

There is arrow fletching on the workbench though, which I think might be what Quy is referring to. The scrimshaw crafter seems to be designed SPECIFICALLY for scrimshaws and engraving, where the workbench has the graphics that indicate it would be used for arrows, darts, and anything that has fletching.

hzvjpwS.gif

They could at least have added some personal rooms for the player (with a PoH portal and wardrobe/dresser/bed, just copy some PoH hotspots), above the office or something, put an armour stand and workbench above the workshop (again, PoH hotspots) and put the trader on the second floor of the lodgings (cause that's where guests stay, right?). Also the warehouse upgrades require minimal effort, considering it's just adding a stack of terracotta, a stack of azure and a couple of miscellaneous items. That the fletching bench in the workshop isn't used to make death lotus darts is stupid as well. And why haven't we gotten spicy overloads yet?

Yeah, I don't buy the budget issues explanation. It really can't be that hard to throw us something in there, can it?

It seems more related to the time; this is like Divination (as another poster said) -- something they hyped long in advance but only really started working on very close to the due date, and it was inevitable rushed and poorly designed. I mean there were a lot of small things they could have done to polish this update up, and they just didn't do them.

If Dev budgets really are tight, then they should prioritize away from things like voice acting (which are nice but hardly necessary), and focus on crucial quality aspects of it. Some of my most favorite Runescape updates/quests didn't have voice acting and they weren't diminished at all by that. So yeah if you're tight on cash, prioritize. 

• Like 1

Yes they hit issues and yes they expected it to be an easy win. But that does not change the fact it is a big ticket item and if they hit these issues they should have re-evaluated and expanded the budget to deal with it.

It might be a big ticket item to us, because of the previous importance the original Ports offered through tetsu/seasingers/death lotus, but in the grand scheme of things it's expansion really isn't a big ticket thing. It's a small area, no lore that impacts the main game's current storyline, no new songs, and just a few new characters introduced with some upgrades that were supposed to use existing code to build off of. It's not an entirely new piece of content, the bulk of the project is already in-game.

It's important to us as players and we wanted it to match the grandeur of the first Ports update. Even if they didn't run into problems, it wasn't going to match that same impact. The only reason it was mentioned at runefest was to build hype during the con.

Besides claiming ports only has a small impact on the game is a bit silly - the rewards account for a good portion of the high end market for skillers. Many of the scrimshaws offer BIS and highly useful things to combat and skilling. The armour sets are the BIS tank items in-game and though niche do have a use. Even more so now with new t85 weapons that plug a whole between t80 and t90 for the poorer if they wanna invest. Ports is much more than a little minigame with little impact; it's probably one of the most used pieces of content we've seen in recent years and makes a big part of many peoples daily routine, income and combat potential.

The REWARDS have a big impact. The MINIGAME ITSELF does not.

As the MINIGAME is the ONLY way to get the REWARDS that have a big impact it does meant the MINIGAME has an impact by proxy.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Does anyone know yet if there will be new captains? Or should I have spent these many months trying to improve mine?

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

As the MINIGAME is the ONLY way to get the REWARDS that have a big impact it does meant the MINIGAME has an impact by proxy.

Except we're talking about content/scenery compared to the entire game, accessible to those with a stat 90+ or higher. With rewards that only affect those 85+ and up. Aka it affects about half a person's playtime assuming they get that high. Do you get the point yet?

Ports are smaller than edgeville in space, with less unique NPCs than a grandmaster quest, less soundtracks than your typical city which is 2x as large as the PoP area usually, and and a tier of armor available from it that really is just meant to stem the gap until the smithing rework.

It has a massive affect on the people from Tipit or reddit sure, we're relatively high level and all that matters in the end is the rewards and how it can be used outside of the minigame. But for actually making the content, for a frame of reference, it's not a big ticket update.

It affects how they allot their budget whether we like it or not. Highly anticipated != big ticket, to use your phrase

This isn't a good thing, but it is a cold reality.

hzvjpwS.gif

Does anyone know yet if there will be new captains? Or should I have spent these many months trying to improve mine?

In Mod Silent's video about the update to ports it is mentioned that there is a new tier of captain. When paused at the right time you can see 2 of the 3(possibly more) crew from the Loop.

Pearl Diver is Seafaring - Base of 1500 Seafaring

Sea Fort Guard is Combat - Base of 1500 Combat

• Like 1

xSoulgazer

Elysian Sigil ---- 11/24/10 ---- 550M

Armadyl, Bandos and Zaros rune armours are now non-member items, to match the Saradomin, Guthix and Zamorak variants. Yew bows are now non-member items. noooooo, ultimate flip

really.....really!!! Literally hours after i clean out my poh including those armors to pay for con and pray....they make them bloody f2p!!!

edit: now that i remember the original reason i came to this thread. Are there any new captains?

nvm answer in the above post lol.

• Like 3

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

r8yuf6.png

HARD DECISION

You make me so glad I'm comped so I know I'm getting a free reefwalker cape in stats when I complete the scrolls. I so want the new tank ring...

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

A Joint Acquisition between the Chef and the Biologist at Pincer level has 3 spices and 7 pearls as a reward, with a difficulty of 22500 Seafaring.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

My sides...

• Like 1

xcsx7c.png | 3gliP.jpg | 51y5tv.png  |  8mO5K.jpg

A Blog to Bathtubs for Beginners
Quest Cape | 99 Defence Achieved 11-Jul-2011 17:41 | 99 Prayer 11-Jul-2012 | 99 Constitution 02-Aug-2012

99 Attack 31/10/2012 | 99 Dungeoneering 31/10/2012 | 99 Strength 31/10/2012 | 99 Magic 2/12/2012

99 Range 16/12/2012 | 99 Herblore 25/12/2012 | 99 Summoning 4/1/2013 | 99 Firemaking 6/3/2013

99 Farming 10/4/2013 | 99 Slayer 11/7/2013 | 99 Fletching 21/8/2013  |  99 Smithing 22/8/2013 

99 Crafting 19/12/2013  |  99 Cooking 15/1/2014  |  99 Agility 25/1/2014  |  99 Thieving 01/02/2014

99 Construction 21/04/2014  |  99 Woodcutting 04/03/2014  |  99 Fishing 17/04/2014  |  99 Mining 23/07/2015

99 Divination 27/07/2015  |  99 Runecrafting 20/08/2015  |  99 Hunter 20/08/2015  | Maxed 20/08/2015

My sides...

So THAT'S where the dev budget went

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

Except we're talking about content/scenery compared to the entire game, accessible to those with a stat 90+ or higher. With rewards that only affect those 85+ and up. Aka it affects about half a person's playtime assuming they get that high. Do you get the point yet?

Ports are smaller than edgeville in space, with less unique NPCs than a grandmaster quest, less soundtracks than your typical city which is 2x as large as the PoP area usually, and and a tier of armor available from it that really is just meant to stem the gap until the smithing rework.

It has a massive affect on the people from Tipit or reddit sure, we're relatively high level and all that matters in the end is the rewards and how it can be used outside of the minigame. But for actually making the content, for a frame of reference, it's not a big ticket update.

It affects how they allot their budget whether we like it or not. Highly anticipated != big ticket, to use your phrase

This isn't a good thing, but it is a cold reality.

Apart from that is utter nonsense.

Yes anticipation does not make a big ticket update. What does make a big ticket update is something being used daily by a large amount of players and something that has been one of the most popular and successful updates in years. Anything done to that is a big ticket update because it should hit that popularity. Yes by all means they thought they had a framework in place for expansions so they could easily make this big ticket update with a small dev budget for an easy win, but they found issues. When they found these issues for such a big ticket update to such a popular piece of content they shouldn't of just hashed up some work around that left the final update sort of lacking they should've re-evaluated and adjusted the dev budget.

And no we are by no means talking about minor content and scenery we are in fact talking about fundamental features and mechanics that directly alter the gameplay of ports.

We are talking about the lack of warehouse upgrades so we lack the gameplay features of % boosts to returns on the new resources.

We are talking about the lowering of stats on existing crew which directly alters the success rates and gameplay of voyages.

We are talking about the failure to address issues they said they would fix way back when it was original released: The imbalance between the three stats in the final tiers of upgrades and the shortfalling of seafaring due to the lack of ram/figurehead type item.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Honestly we don't NEED warehouse upgrades at this point. The tank armours would be fine to help nudge the subpar community into learning bosses with inferior versions. The superior versions are fine for those who are dilligent or who are more dedicated to PVM. Keeping both those players in mind having a higher flow of plate, chi and laquer is fine.

The resources just keep adding up if you do end game voyages anyways. So now the tank cape and ring is just slightly harder to reproduce. The reason for that is it takes more time and effort to get up the resources to pay the trader if he offers koi scales or pearls. So with that we have a tank cape and ring that won't so easily succumb to market saturation. By that I mean farming trade goods via the trader and rerolls. Yeah I'm sure players will point out that they might have compounded the issue with the armours as well. But thw big issue we dodged is that a whole new class gear for capes and rings has been prevented from being just as mass produced for the community as the tank armours. So now players who enjoy tanking can enjoy the limelight as top notch tankers. Then as inferior rings and capes hit the market other players will have their time.

I'm wondering when we might see some attacker rings that go over the imbued rings stats. I think that might be our next combat gear update. I hope that jagex might give us some t85 magic gear that's relatively easy to obtain... or at least the repair pieces like the polypore staff.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

True the warehouses are not strictly 'needed' but they do alter gameplay just as much as the adventurer icons do - and those were deemed 'required' according to Mod Doctors reply.

Not to mention warehouse upgrades probably use less graphics than even the icons do: All they gotta do is stick a couple of piles/boxes/barrels of the new resource in and maybe recolour the puffer fish again.

• Like 2

Plv6Dz6.jpg

A Joint Acquisition between the Chef and the Biologist at Pincer level has 3 spices and 7 pearls as a reward, with a difficulty of 22500 Seafaring.

3 spices?

• Like 1

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)