7-Jan-2014 - Player-Owned Ports - The Next Journey

Saradomin_Mage

The only rage I feel justified is over the darts not being changed fast enough and them not using the fletching table.

What about all the bugs(uhh, all bugs, really) they didn't fix? Also, hasn't anyone seen the examine of these darts? ''..made of materials from the East." 

All in all, their answers just show they know very little about the game.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

My main problem is the in ability to win voyage rerolls. Even with 0 stored if I get them from random events I don't actually receive them. I've reported this several times.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

The only rage I feel justified is over the darts not being changed fast enough and them not using the fletching table.

What about all the bugs(uhh, all bugs, really) they didn't fix? Also, hasn't anyone seen the examine of these darts? ''..made of materials from the East."

All in all, their answers just show they know very little about the game.

Yeah maybe on this one... I'm used to them though.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Q: Seeing as the scroll for Death Lotus Darts describes the requirement for Ascension shards, how do the people of the Wushanko Islands have access to these materials?

Mod Doctor: The scrolls are hard to translate and may refer to materials that no longer exist or are unknown, but other materials might be suitable as a substitute.

This was a pretty good answer, lol.

Clever response to deal with that lore issue...cause they totally were thinking of that when the update actually happened.

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

Q: Seeing as the scroll for Death Lotus Darts describes the requirement for Ascension shards, how do the people of the Wushanko Islands have access to these materials?

Mod Doctor: The scrolls are hard to translate and may refer to materials that no longer exist or are unknown, but other materials might be suitable as a substitute.

Clever response to deal with that lore issue...cause they totally were thinking of that when the update actually happened.

Unless of course we take the angle that in lore terms ascension gear is something only the adventurer and a few slayer masters know about and even at that we only know it to be some sort of magic crystal thing, so there is limited reason for us to assume it'd be remotely similar to an substance from the eastern lands we've never seen and know nothing about. I mean that's like saying well you didn't know wtf the material in the scroll was so you tried bread and it seemed to work so thats what you ran with.

Plus of course to get to make the darts we don't even need the slayer req for ascension dung, which in lore terms would negate any reason for us to have been there and thus have even a vague knowledge of such a material existing.

Then it's less clever than a blindly fumbled excuse for an illogical design choice that really messed with the lore of it all.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Unless of course we take the angle that in lore terms ascension gear is something only the adventurer and a few slayer masters know about and even at that we only know it to be some sort of magic crystal thing, so there is limited reason for us to assume it'd be remotely similar to an substance from the eastern lands we've never seen and know nothing about. I mean that's like saying well you didn't know wtf the material in the scroll was so you tried bread and it seemed to work so thats what you ran with.

Plus of course to get to make the darts we don't even need the slayer req for ascension dung, which in lore terms would negate any reason for us to have been there and thus have even a vague knowledge of such a material existing.

Then it's less clever than a blindly fumbled excuse for an illogical design choice that really messed with the lore of it all.

Even making pearl-tipped/koi scale-tipped darts would have made more sense than putting ascension shards out of thin air.

I'd just like to blame Timbo for this :P

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

could have used jade the port resource

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

ROTS Shields: 12  Seismics: 16

Ascension Crossbows: 6  Spider Legs: 10

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

Even making pearl-tipped/koi scale-tipped darts would have made more sense than putting ascension shards out of thin air.

I'd just like to blame Timbo for this :P

Remember that tree in Yanille that made a reference to Timbo? I think it said 'Never let Timbo near a thing of beauty' or something like that lol

EDIT: hehe, found this.

• A regular tree behind the building with anvils in Yanille was removed in a hidden update. After a thread on the Runescape forums, it was added back as a dead tree a week later with the examine text: "Never let Mod Timbo near a thing of beauty". Its stump's examine text reads: "Tiiiimmmmmmbbbbooooooooooo!"
  • Like 8
_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

We have no idea what exactly the scroll says. It may be very descriptive and describe a material that seems similar to the Ascension Shards. Ascension Shards are also on the grand exchange so its possible for any adventurer to come across them before they themselves can enter the dungeon, and we have no proof that other npc have never heard of them. 

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

We have no idea what exactly the scroll says. It may be very descriptive and describe a material that seems similar to the Ascension Shards. Ascension Shards are also on the grand exchange so its possible for any adventurer to come across them before they themselves can enter the dungeon, and we have no proof that other npc have never heard of them. 

Except from a lore perspective the grand exchange isn't some interface you can randomly search it is something you go to and say 

I want x of y here's my money

Or I want to sell these for x

Then they contact you when it's done.

Plus in lore terms it'd be highly unlikely for any sort of monster drop or rarer item to be within the grand exchange - it'd be a place where basic goods are trader much like the existing trader npcs who care about ores and herbs and logs and such. Uber rare items only discover by adventurers on their epic quests would likely not be something they'd be able to sell cause no-one would know about them or want them.

You have to remember when it comes to lore no player other than you exists - it's not like theres hordes of adventurers all going around doing similar stuff there just a very small group consisting of Arianne, Ozan, Owen, Xeina, Raptor, Lynsa and yourself and possibly a few other unknowns (but obviously not many since all these people still have adventurer needs when we arrive). I mean Meg goes about adventuring too but she is useless, the Carnillean kid is implied to be rather bad at it as well and of course Cyrius died.

If you have no prior knowledge of ascension shards you wouldn't come across them on the ge in a lore sense.

Equally yes the scroll may be very descriptive we don't know but that still poses the issue of we don't really know a lot of what ascension is like other than it being crystal-like - there's plenty of other materials we know the same or more off in similar family (elf crystals etc.)

Plus it would be kinda odd for the scroll to be highly descriptive of the material; it's instructions to make an item they tend to tell you materials and how to use em on the assumption you know what the materials are.

I mean you don't buy a cookbook and find and description of the precise nature of flour it just says you need flour. So why should an instruction on how to make darts go beyond telling you to use a specific material? It's not like these scrolls were produced for outside eyes they are essential instructions the village/tribe/island w/e had to share their knowledge with new generations.

Plus yes we have no proof other npcs (outside slayer masters) have never heard of it, but what we do have is the dialogue they do have in which none of them mention or talk about the dungeon so in terms of the lore of the game and our interactions that is as good as not knowing. If they haven't seen it in any known situation and do not talk about it at all there's no lore reason to assume they know about it, especially when lore suggests most of these people are quite static and it is unusual to travel between settlements let alone traipsing between kingdoms all over the world. 

I'm by no means saying their reasoning CAN'T work just that is is extremely sloppy and lazy excuse for a design choice they made with probably no consideration of lore at all that when considered beyond face value has a number of flaws that can only be explain by complicated ideas and theories about instructional scrolls going in to excessive details about a material and reasons we might know about an obscure resource despite lacking reason to have been there and disocver it.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Except from a lore perspective the grand exchange isn't some interface you can randomly search it is something you go to and say 

I want x of y here's my money

Or I want to sell these for x

Then they contact you when it's done.

Plus in lore terms it'd be highly unlikely for any sort of monster drop or rarer item to be within the grand exchange - it'd be a place where basic goods are trader much like the existing trader npcs who care about ores and herbs and logs and such. Uber rare items only discover by adventurers on their epic quests would likely not be something they'd be able to sell cause no-one would know about them or want them.

You have to remember when it comes to lore no player other than you exists - it's not like theres hordes of adventurers all going around doing similar stuff there just a very small group consisting of Arianne, Ozan, Owen, Xeina, Raptor, Lynsa and yourself and possibly a few other unknowns (but obviously not many since all these people still have adventurer needs when we arrive). I mean Meg goes about adventuring too but she is useless, the Carnillean kid is implied to be rather bad at it as well and of course Cyrius died.

If you have no prior knowledge of ascension shards you wouldn't come across them on the ge in a lore sense.

Equally yes the scroll may be very descriptive we don't know but that still poses the issue of we don't really know a lot of what ascension is like other than it being crystal-like - there's plenty of other materials we know the same or more off in similar family (elf crystals etc.)

Plus it would be kinda odd for the scroll to be highly descriptive of the material; it's instructions to make an item they tend to tell you materials and how to use em on the assumption you know what the materials are.

I mean you don't buy a cookbook and find and description of the precise nature of flour it just says you need flour. So why should an instruction on how to make darts go beyond telling you to use a specific material? It's not like these scrolls were produced for outside eyes they are essential instructions the village/tribe/island w/e had to share their knowledge with new generations.

Plus yes we have no proof other npcs (outside slayer masters) have never heard of it, but what we do have is the dialogue they do have in which none of them mention or talk about the dungeon so in terms of the lore of the game and our interactions that is as good as not knowing. If they haven't seen it in any known situation and do not talk about it at all there's no lore reason to assume they know about it, especially when lore suggests most of these people are quite static and it is unusual to travel between settlements let alone traipsing between kingdoms all over the world. 

I'm by no means saying their reasoning CAN'T work just that is is extremely sloppy and lazy excuse for a design choice they made with probably no consideration of lore at all that when considered beyond face value has a number of flaws that can only be explain by complicated ideas and theories about instructional scrolls going in to excessive details about a material and reasons we might know about an obscure resource despite lacking reason to have been there and disocver it.

I'm not too familiar with the lore so don't take this as me saying you're wrong. Is the above definition of lore for the GE actual fact as stated by Jagex? Or is it merely your interpretation of how to view the GE in regards to the lore?

As far as the latter option I tend to view the GE more in the sense as a giant marketplace where our adventurer goes to buy things. In this view it is possible to imagine your adventurer perusing various goods and coming across the ascension shards. Having a good understanding of fletching you notice that they would provide great quality as ammo whether it's bolts arrows etc. So you purchase them as such.

As far as the ports scroll goes, I agree with you that it wouldn't necessarily have an in depth description of what the different components are that are needed. Since you need a certain fletching level in order to decipher the scroll, it's safe to assume that you would be able to understand how the different components are put together. If there is one piece that you are unable to decipher due to it being a material you are un familiar with you would use a substitute. Since you understand how ranged weapons work and are put together, it is reasonable to assume that you can identify the purpose of this mysterious material and come up with an alternative, such as the ascension shard, that would fulfill the purpose diagrammed in the scroll.

As far as my opinion is concerned, I think it's a completely reasonable.... reasoning, for lack of a better term.

• Like 1
maraxussig4.png

It's not an openly stated thing but there are sort of general rules of translating game functionality into pure lore that are sort of just the way everyone does it in the 'officially' accepted lore of most games, the core of which is user interface is basically ignored and you can't add in things that simply aren't there. The structures and people and basic functions are 'real.'

As such there is reasoning behind my interpretation:

1) In lore there are not many adventurers and none of the other players exist - this means most of the items we as players trade are not things that would be a big market component within the lore. If they aren't adventuring and just doing day jobs they care about resources and simply products (pies, cakes etc.) not about uber powerful armour they have no use for or reason to use.

2) In lore terms the user interfaces and easy of play functions don't exist (eg the player never ever dies) eg the bank and ge interfaces aren't how they function in lore. They function by talking to the staff, given the medieval-ish context and talking any sort of 'search' function which may turn up things you don't know about is unlikely to exist. It makes more sense for a farmer or a smith to go up and have a direct I want x or I want to sell y.

3) In terms of what is actually there is clearly is not a market place, it is a service being offered much like the banks where things are stored away in hidden magical vaults, which would eliminate the idea of stumbling across something.

Of course there are other ways you can chose to view it since there is no official lore as such, but based on sort of the 'standard' rules of how gameplay things translate to non-gameplay 'real' world lore and what actually exists in game I'd say this is the basic framework of what the ge isn't lore terms, backed up as much as can be by the way many of the npcs talk about it and deal with it (eg the dwarf delivery tunnel and the traders).

Even with a kind of marketplace view where you could stumble upon stuff I'd still doubt it'd be a way for us to come across ascension shards, as again in lore terms the people of Gielinor are predominantly simple people living day-to-day lives. There's not going to be a market for strange crystals you can't really do a lot with easily and there's equally not going to be much of a supply of them since there's limited slayer master and adventurers to even come across them and, in a lore sense, people wouldn't camp down in a dungeon mindlessly slaughtering monsters again and again with no end. Realistically you might kill a few for training or to explore and infiltrate, but they wouldn't be respawning so they'd be quite a finite number to kill limiting the source of such materials.

• Like 2

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Anyone else not been getting random events the past couple days? I'm used to getting them everyday but I haven't the past 2 or 3 days. Before anyone says it, I have talked to all three people responsible for random events and I don't have any cued up.

I'm sad because I was on a streak of getting adventurer rerolls with every event. :(

Flyingjj.png

This is going to sound stupid, but how do I know if I get a random on Ports? I don't know if I've done a single one since I've started playing and I do Ports daily... I do Meg and I can do the Drink thing, but there are others right and the new one I have talked to the seasinger each day, but nothing seems to come up in the dialogue....

90.png

---------------------------- ';..;' ----------------------------

max.png

ey guys , this good setup for new voyages ( new regions i mean)

havent had crew update for ages now .. last time in april maybe , thinking of  dismissing JODs for 5x tigers

Not to be rude or anything... especially since you obviously don't follow efficient ports strategy or anything but.... That is the worst crew i've seen in a while...

For new regions, you'll need to basically dismiss all your previous crew anyway(unless there is no new merchant/solidarity type). Also- learn what merchants are, especially since anyone who understands logic would think of them as the best crew available.

The Return of Internal IDs

Rushed? Ports 2? Noooooo. No no no no no.

I also don't get this. Do you think it's impossible for someone to have already got that mission or...?(because it's entirely possible to have)

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

6lNQA.jpg

The Return of Internal IDs

Rushed? Ports 2? Noooooo. No no no no no.

It's the number 12 on the rewards thing, where 12 is seemingly random because it is an internal ID for the voyage...

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014