The overnight phenomenon of "redesign!" to "give me master capes!"

Kimberly

Since Dungeoneering's release, there has been a relatively small amount of players asking if the skill cap will ever be increased to 120. It was a natural question, since no skill prior to Dungeoneering ever had that kind of content past 99. Those who were around that time (and read the topic predicting the skill's release on Tip.it!) understand why this happened, though. They basically recycled an entire short game and put it into RuneScape. It made sense then, to see DG at 120.

Quite recently though there was a big push for a redesign of all the skill capes due to some inspired art by Valhelsing2 on deviantArt. It was posted on Reddit, circulated around social-media, and whet the whistles of all those calling for a redesign of the skill capes since EoC changed a lot about the aesthetics and animation of capes in general.

rs_skillcapes_level99_epicness__vol_i_by

rs_skillcapes_level99_epicness__vol_ii_b

And then when the recent remark by Mod Osbourne popped up during the Gameblast 24 Hr Livestream, a brief moment that discussed Master Skillcapes.

Were there other artists who designed mastery skill capes? More than likely, yeah. But for example, Valhelsing2's artwork was for redesigning, not an entirely new set of capes. Certainly not the most outdated content, but definitely one of the bigger eyesores due to the popularity and prestige a 99 skill cape holds.

Mastery of other skills as they stand now sits firmly at 99, since that's largely where the content for those skills end. Dungeoneering did not fit that bill, however. It was impossible to fit those limitations. It will always be that sore thumb sticking out that doesn't match everyone else. (In fact, that's part of the charm to the skill, as some players would say.)

What I'm kinda shocked over is how quickly public opinion was so easily shifted to forget a skill cape redesign overall. It quickly became "redesign!" to "mastery capes!" overnight. Yet mastery capes don't really make sense since there's nothing to "master" past 99. But hey, I get that I'm likely in the minority here. I'm mostly shocked that they secured a "yes" vote to the mastery capes with a single few lines that pushed the positive hype of redesiging towards voting for new content. (It's hardly a secret that I think content voting is the spawn of satan, anyway. HOORAY HYPERBOLE!)

I just hope if they do make master capes that they don't neglect the stiff, mastectomy-giving, 80's shoulderpad-rockin' skill capes we already have...but I have a feeling they'll be neglected. Has there been any word regarding what they intend to do (if anything) to the regular skill capes? And why is no one else baffled by how beautifully handled this entire situation was? o_O

Just for you, Quyneax, I afk'd cookie clicker while posting this topic. Yay gameplay and discussing game content that has almost zero affect on RS at large! <33

• Like 11

hzvjpwS.gif

I think the current focus on mastery capes is because its getting polled. Things dealing with polls always seem to get more attention than similar things that aren't being polled. Some people have been asking for better drops overall, but when demons/elementals/beasts/ghosts were being polled all attention turned to that. Same with the new dragon poll, people have been asking for adamant dragons for a while, but when that poll came out people zeroed in on that. Its not that those in favour of mastery have forgotten or no longer want skill cape reworks, its that this poll is happening and so they're focusing on that until the poll is over.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Probably should throw them both in at once. Shortterm - redesign of capes

Mid-term - 120 capes w/new emotes (please, same shitty emotes go away)

So that's what, ruby and diamond polls people have their say on both/either, happy days.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

Wow never saw these before...they actually look stunning. O_O Such eyecandy!

I really hope these, or something as beautiful as these, gets implemented into the game! Either as 99 or 120 capes, they both have pros and cons for me.

Skillcape redesign is pointless. The capes have looked like they do for many years and they should remain this for the 99 skillcapes, whereas the master/120 capes will be given to those who spend a substantial amount of time dedicated to grinding out this one skill, then they can show it off wearing a fancy 120 cape for that skill, if they got the exp for it. I'm all for it and love the idea. Personally when I get comp I'm going to be wearing that instead because let's be honest, max to trim are the best looking capes in the game, second in line being the dg cape, while skillcapes just looks plain ugly in my opinion, but it will just be something to strive for, something to motivate people to go for 120/200m in a skill. :)

i uh

it sort of sounds like brainwashing when you say that out loud

"99s are no longer relevant. 120 is now the new age. Leave all of your previous work behind. Join us in the new order."

jagex doesn't even have to make any more content, all they have to do is keep stringing you along forever and taking your money

it's not even a game anymore

• Like 2

8f14270694.jpg

i uh

"99s are no longer relevant. 120 is now the new age. Leave all of your previous work behind. Join us in the new order."

jagex doesn't even have to make any more content, all they have to do is keep stringing you along forever and taking your money

Players have been asking for this, its not like Jagex just came up with this on their own.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

The irony is though *most* players have not been asking for it a specific elite subset who care about the abyss beyond 99 have asked for it, most (like Kimberly pointed out) if asking for anything at all only asked for redesigned 99 capes that look better.

Which raiess the question is power to the players really working? Sure stuff players ask about is getting polled but most coming from players seem to be small things in an already existing plan or something a small subset hiding in hlf asked for. But where then are the polls on the things we have all been asking for for ages? Where is the 99 cape redesign poll? Where is the minigame fix polls? Where is the skill rework polls? Where are the polls on player suggestions that have stood the test of time for years and years on the forums and have lots of detail behind them like Archeology, engineering, making runecrafting the primary magic crafting skill etc?

They are all lost behind polls that small subsets with unique access to jagex or whiners want - I mean even in the darn podcast about combat changes they outright said a lot of people who voted for legacy combat will probably be satisfied with revolution and the other tweaks coming and that legacy will be balanced to be as close to but not greater than eoc thereby hammering the nail in the coffin of it being stupid to poll it before the other combat fixes have been released AND the idea that there won't simply be a better option rendering the other one dead. Heck they even went so far as to say it will basically be old-style momentum with auto attack damage scaled up much further, which renders the quest WHY does it even need to be a new thing at all? Revolution rendered momentum pointless anyway so can't that just be repurposed?

• Like 2

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Revolution rendered momentum pointless anyway so can't that just be repurposed?

Can't barrage or chin with revolution :P

I get the feeling that most of the PTTP polls are just for pieces of content that aren't really integral or core to gameplay. Honestly it wouldn't have been hard for them to just design a WE3 reward themselves (for example), but they want to give this illusion of working with and listening to the players, and it's not working bad so far.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Chain/Provoke/Freedom/Anticipate on bar, do an ult every time 100% adren is reached (should be every other minute or so).

Gives a huge boost to xp/hour :p

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Chain/Provoke/Freedom/Anticipate on bar, do an ult every time 100% adren is reached (should be every other minute or so).

Gives a huge boost to xp/hour :P

Also arguably if we simply upped momentum autoattack damage like legacy is going to be and renamed it legacy you could do your chin/barrage with legacy to the same end as momentum provides and get better xp/hr due to damage being higher and still avoid the derp-ness of having a 4th combat mode than essentially duplicates what momentum does.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

While it is nice that they have act upon the results of power to player polls, I don't think that it is the way to go. The ideas that are raised do not adequately address the concerns of most players, and the results are skewed in one way or another due to majority favouring certain type of activities, schools of thinking or ways of training. Therefore getting a 'yes' vote is not necessarily going to be the favoured option...more like the least objectionable option.

What if the player 'don't care'? A random vote based on the presence of a few key words (e.g. 'smithing', 'legacy' and 'bonus') depending on personal play style to get it out of the way, may be detrimental to the whole polling scheme. Don't get me wrong, I think the redesigned capes are quite attractive. But I do not think that doing a player poll to determine whether they (and other polled contents so far) get released into the game is the way to go.

I guess if they do decide to replace current capes with the ones in the first post, the current ones may go up for sale in the SGS...

'Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' T.S. Eliot

Isn't this... old? i mean, 3 years old when the first designs of 120 series capes first appeared?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zDbRYWz0nE

I remember seeing those videos! They're who I had in mind mostly when mentioning that there were players who requested it in the past.

hzvjpwS.gif

i uh

Players have been asking for this, its not like Jagex just came up with this on their own.

the best brainwashing occurs when you can get your target to think that the thing you're influencing them to want was their idea

8f14270694.jpg

i uh

the best brainwashing occurs when you can get your target to think that the thing you're influencing them to want was their idea

Aka inception?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Well, how many treasure hunter complaints have we seen recently?

It's, in essence, a reskinned SoF hosted by a girl rather than goblin, with less low-end rewards for high-end players. Weekly promotions? Still there. Buying spinsKeys? Still there.

I've seen people be a lot more open over key buying compared to spins.

In a way, Jagex has brainwashed us to approve of it, we get more (bonus) xp & lucky items, they get more money & less complaints. Win-win.

yqe0mrU.jpg

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Seriously, Jagex should re-design the max capes or atleast make a poll if people wants it to be re-designed.

EDIT: Jagex do not have true artiest/designers can understand the game to make things look better in game.

such as..

- Armours

- Weapons

- Capes - all looks the same but different color

- Female characters - looks bad

hope they make weapons and armours looks more EVIL ]:)

At the end of the day, isn't it just a cosmetic cape? It boggles my mind that everyone is making a fuss over a cosmetic change to a game.

imp7C.jpg

(22:28:44) <@Leik> LE INTORNUTZ SPEEK xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Mish.png

hope they make weapons and armours looks more EVIL ]:)

Jagex has been doing a lot better recently with the looks of armour/weapons, Malevolent lives up to it's name pretty well, and I'm looking into keepsaking an abyssal wand/orb over seismics, because they look that good.

yqe0mrU.jpg

[hide=Lewtations]

At the end of the day, isn't it just a cosmetic cape? It boggles my mind that everyone is making a fuss over a cosmetic change to a game.

Well no its not really 'just' a cosmetic change, it has implications and interactions with other things.

For example, like this thread is address, why are we getting polls for 120 capes when far more people for far longer have been asking for redesigned 99 capes?

If this system is about power to the players why are relatively unheard of ideas reaching the polls whilst ones players have begged and pleaded on for years are overlooked?

Equally theres the whole barrel of issues relating to 120 capes not just being cosmetic.

The fact they will exist at an xp value that current is meaningless in the void between 99 and 200m xp gives significance to that value.

It acts as a point to argue the case for actually raising skill caps, something that has already been brought up by many as a 'if we have the capes why not the levels argument?' and in that field you have issues of maxed players vs unmaxed players and contentless levels and changing the parameters of what the end game is and whether it is far or right to prolong the game in such a way to appease those who already made it when it will put off new players as it makes 'complete' less obtainable.

Yes the update itself in a bubble is just cosmetic capes, but alas things do not exist in a bubble and this topic relates to many other issues and concepts.

• Like 3

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I think Malevolent armor is some of the worst looking stuff. On female characters, especially.

What we need is more functional armor. Not "lol, this armor has boobies and looks cool" stuff.

The saradomin/zamorak armor from bol was PERFECT for this. I'm not talking about warpriest, mind.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum