Future Update Discussions

Cowman_133

It's still the same with the eastern land as always - Jagex would like to make them, but only once the current continent is finished. No plans for it atm.

As for the armour update, Jagex posted on Facebook that the update will be delayed until next week(I should mention they did not explicitely say it was the armour update though)

It's still the same with the eastern land as always - Jagex would like to make them, but only once the current continent is finished. No plans for it atm.

As for the armour update, Jagex posted on Facebook that the update will be delayed until next week(I should mention they did not explicitely say it was the armour update though)

Well I'm glad someone is keeping us informed I was wondering about that picture and the update that would come from it.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

armourupdate.png

QUICK, BUY UP ALL THE BRONZE ARMOUR!

I wonder what the mean exactly by "low level" as they seem to vary that a lot.

Sometimes it seems to mean bronze > rune, sometimes bronze > dragon others its just bronze > steel.

Here's hoping it does bronze > rune atleast (since they are all kind of basic samey type stuff) then leaves dragon bandos etc for the later date, but I wouldn't be shocked if we only get up to steel for now since black+ is a bigger job with all the heraldic and trimmed treasure trail stuff.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I think low leveled means Bronze to Rune...though I'm wondering what they mean by the rest going to be updated through the year...

I agree with Sy, I think we'll just be getting updates of bronze - steel armours. If they are planning them all through the year then they'll probably group black - addy together then do Rune and Dragon later. After all, for rune alone they have trimmed, heraldic and God versions to do.

Sylpheed.png

I think low leveled means Bronze to Rune...though I'm wondering what they mean by the rest going to be updated through the year...

I agree with Sy, I think we'll just be getting updates of bronze - steel armours. If they are planning them all through the year then they'll probably group black - addy together then do Rune and Dragon later. After all, for rune alone they have trimmed, heraldic and God versions to do.

It is a sticky issue; while I think that is the likely route at runefest when showing offer armour make overs and concepts they did show low-levelled metal armours (and spoke of bronze>rune) dragon and barrows. So by that terminology it should go the rune.

Never know perhaps we'll get bronze > rune but heradlic, trimed etc will be the "later date"

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

It is a sticky issue; while I think that is the likely route at runefest when showing offer armour make overs and concepts they did show low-levelled metal armours (and spoke of bronze>rune) dragon and barrows. So by that terminology it should go the rune.

Never know perhaps we'll get bronze > rune but heradlic, trimed etc will be the "later date"

Didn't think of it like that. That sounds like a more likely route for them to take. The early teaser pic we got last week I suspect, is most likely steel.

Edit: Now I think about it, I doubt they would take that route. Updating standard rune and leaving the trimmed versions the old way would be pretty inconsistent.

Sylpheed.png

Didn't think of it like that. That sounds like a more likely route for them to take. The early teaser pic we got last week I suspect, is most likely steel.

Edit: Now I think about it, I doubt they would take that route. Updating standard rune and leaving the trimmed versions the old way would be pretty inconsistent.

But runescape graphics projects are some what inconsistent think the world-wide makeovers that generally get the free world done, then stall then like a year later start bk up on the free world again as they have new grpahical tech while somewhere like Ardougne or Yanille linger on several years of graphical improvements behind.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

But runescape graphics projects are some what inconsistent think the world-wide makeovers that generally get the free world done, then stall then like a year later start bk up on the free world again as they have new grpahical tech while somewhere like Ardougne or Yanille linger on several years of graphical improvements behind.

You do remember that free areas are also available on members' worlds, right? :wink:

I think the reason that more of the free areas are getting upgraded first, is because they're the oldest areas in the game. Not only that, they're the first areas a player sees when a new account is created. It makes more sense to upgrade those areas first.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

This seems the most plausible situation ...

nyuseg.png

You do remember that free areas are also available on members' worlds, right? :wink:

I think the reason that more of the free areas are getting upgraded first, is because they're the oldest areas in the game. Not only that, they're the first areas a player sees when a new account is created. It makes more sense to upgrade those areas first.

I'm not commenting on the fact they get upgraded first.

I'm commenting on the fact a world make over starts.

Lumby, varrock fally draynor all get done then usually 1 more otu of edge, canafis, taverly and al-kharid.

Then it stops.

Then like a year later a new make over starts and...

lumby varrock fally get done then usually 1 more otu of edge, canafis, taverly and al-kharid.

Then it stops.

lumby varrock fally get done then usually 1 more otu of edge, canafis, taverly and al-kharid.

Then it stops.

Then it stops.

Then it stops.

Then it stops.

Then it stops.

Then it stops.

Then it stops.

But it very rarely reaches other places (yanille, ardy, seers, rellekka, southern desert, the islands etc.) so you get a n inconsistency where those few places are very very up to date and others haven't be done for the past 5 or 6 graphical updates. So in reality those places are nowhere near the 'oldest in game' graphically and they are leaps and bounds ahead of most other old places.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I remember when the first round of town improvements came and they actually had 2 npc's going around the towns who talked about the upcoming graphical changes. I swear this was 5 years ago though.

S_I_G.jpg

Those with a little bit of knowledge are more dangerous than those with none.

I agree. For once I'd like them to upgrade all the graphics first before they do other things. Sometimes this has happened gradually, because when new content in an area is released they do tend to update some of the surrounding areas. I still want to see the trees everywhere though.. that goes a long ways towards updating the feel.

It is very annoying that places like Ardougne and Yanille still look the same, but edgeville has had 2-3 updates since then.

As for the armors: I hope they don't do the metal armors in batches! That would be bad, we'd have crappy looking runite while bronze looked more interesting. At least dragon doesn't look like a strict copy of rune recoulored red. Also, I hope they actually do remember to update the gilded and heraldic armors. (Pleaaaase make them more interesting also? It would be cool if they were more than just slight trimming on the rune armors)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

How long have we been waiting for the dwarves update too? Its been a year since the last dwarf quest and the graphics were supposedly almost ready then...

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

How long have we been waiting for the dwarves update too? Its been a year since the last dwarf quest and the graphics were supposedly almost ready then...

On Jan 19th they got their chatheads redone, but nothing else. (2010)

hzvjpwS.gif

A year and a half. Wow.

To be honest, I sometimes wonder if a worldwide update strategy would work better for runescape than gradual reconstruction. I think I would enjoy a complete graphical refurbishment of a few areas every week as much as typical gameplay content, especially given that much gameplay content I can't play whereas I have unlocked most of the areas in the game.

Another thing that also often surprises me is that Jagex is often using graphical updates on their release clients months before we get them: for example, we can see screenshots of the grand tree on the main page now and the new water was available at the time Deadliest Catch was released but has only been implemented recently.

I'm not an efficienado.

Why does everyone always say that Ardougne was never updated? :s I view today Ardougne still as a newly updated area. The old Ardougne had the old bricks that were used everywhere, except the wall around West Ardougne, which had triangles on its walls which represented barbwire-like stuff.

Why does everyone always say that Ardougne was never updated? :s I view today Ardougne still as a newly updated area. The old Ardougne had the old bricks that were used everywhere, except the wall around West Ardougne, which had triangles on its walls which represented barbwire-like stuff.

I don't think anyone meant "Never" updated. What we meant was that they haven't done nearly as much work on Ardougne as they have on edgeville, varrock, and falador.

This makes sense considering the volume of players in the areas they update vs the volume of people who go to Ardougne. But the fact that massive reworks of varrock have been done several times since the last massive rework of Ardougne.. it is confusing. Sure, lots of textures and small things have changed (and are changing much of the time). but.. it hasn't been as big a spectacle as when large free-to-play accessible areas get updated.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

It was on the same day as HD, together with Al Kharid and Lumbridge. Falador was only once updated (and I think the first to get updated), from the normal gray bricks (which was funny, because back then it was already called the white city) to what we have now, although those newly added ruins at the north gate may be an indication that we'll get a graphics change in Falador soon.

But indeed, consistency is one of the concepts Jagex is also not capable of. Not only graphics wise, but take a look at all the different interfaces within the game. Almost every project gets an interface which is solely build up from the grounds for only that project.

Actually, if you look at the most recent update, they did take the time to force all of the most publicly used interfaces to comply, with mixed results, using the loyalty rewards interface, and the less recent update with the chat system, reaching as far as the oldest content. It will take them quite a while to fix what you essentially asked for, even though it's not what you wanted, was shoved out partially formed, and has probably caused countless glitches across the board, although you could blame that on them for creating so many separate and inconsistently coded systems side by side in the first place.

Personally I approve of them sticking to the most frequented areas because they always dress up the event areas (we don't get to see a LICK of any of the deathcon features in normal citadels, which ends up wasting a ton of work on "once only" featured areas), and I'd rather have them pretty up the places I hang out at rather than some backwater like the gnome stronghold or dorgeshkaan, as nice as it would be.

8f14270694.jpg

Actually, if you look at the most recent update, they did take the time to force all of the most publicly used interfaces to comply, with mixed results, using the loyalty rewards interface, and the less recent update with the chat system, reaching as far as the oldest content. It will take them quite a while to fix what you essentially asked for, even though it's not what you wanted, was shoved out partially formed, and has probably caused countless glitches across the board, although you could blame that on them for creating so many separate and inconsistently coded systems side by side in the first place.

To be honest, it's to be expected. Andrew has stated himself numerous times in the past that Runescape's lifespan was never meant to be this long. Considering the age and current size of the game, if they wanted to graphically overhaul the entire game (including graphics, UI, menus etc) in one go it would take them a long ass time.

Edit: As a sidenote, I'd say Yanille is probably the most neglected major city in the game. Anything south or west of it looks pretty bad as well. It still basically looks the same as it did when it first released just with better textures.

Sylpheed.png

Things like destroying the rogue's den and building the flash powder factory over it is a pretty effective way of doing remodeling, if not burdened by the flawed implementation.

EDIT: in response to the above edit, I'd like to point out that when they remodeled the ogres, they also redid the zogre area, but other than that most of the area remains untouched.

8f14270694.jpg

To be honest, it's to be expected. Andrew has stated himself numerous times in the past that Runescape's lifespan was never meant to be this long. Considering the age and current size of the game, if they wanted to graphically overhaul the entire game (including graphics, UI, menus etc) in one go it would take them a long ass time.

Edit: As a sidenote, I'd say Yanille is probably the most neglected major city in the game. Anything south or west of it looks pretty bad as well. It still basically looks the same as it did when it first released just with better textures.

Well, I find it odd that with RuneTek5 they didn't streamline a lot of the code of the menus etc, as one of the main reasons of RuneTek5 was to stabilize the game, because a lot of code was very outdated and not in touch with the standards that were found in recenter work.