Future Update Discussions

Cowman_133

To be fair, jagex does have pressures different from a novelist. The longer the quest line goes the higher it is for new players to do (barrier to entry) and many players don't even know about a lot of things simply due to lack of awareness of aspects of the game.

You're write. A novelist has real deadlines.

To put it in another perspective, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy was filmed, edited, and all three were released into theaters in less time than some of Jagex's quest sequels.

1) Film, Game and Novel industries are all greatly differing in timescale demands.

2) More often than not a novelist does NOT have any deadline - If its a solitary book they won't be tied into any continuing deal aside from perhaps current publisher gets first look at new material if its a series that sold well enough to actually be commissioned to completion they let the author be because they don;t want to mess up w/e process made the first book so amazing.

For perspective on the novelist thing:

Hunger Games Trilogy - 2008, 2009, 2010

A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) - 1996, 1999, 2000, 2005, 2011 and two more installments left to come.

Harry Potter - 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007

Lotr - Written between 1937 and 1949

In terms of finishing things off in reasonable time Jagex aren't going all that badly considering these authors had nothing to do but write the books, Jagex has a whole host of other things going on.

I don't see why people are hating so much really, yes Jagex has previously taken a buttload of time but since about two summers ago they have been actively trying to finish storylines off - it's just many of them are SO big they require large dev budgets to finish. And in all honesty I think they are doing a stellar job at it - Cave Goblins, Fremmy, Mahjaratt Ritual have all been completed nicely. Myreque, Gnome, Dwarf, Pirate, Desert, EW and Elf have all had installments, especially they earlier ones. We know we are getting Gnome, Dwarf and Pirate quests this year, poll only dictates order. Dwarf one closes that story off, Gnome one from video implies Arposanda will be included which is one of the delaying 'big budget' items as it is a city (like Menaphos and Priffindas), Pirate ones finally hitting 'war' seems to be quite near an end. Myreque is certainly getting near a nice conclusion, Elf is sort of on the cusp of conclusion territory as well. Plus they haven't really started any new stories at all recently that haven't been quickly self contained and finished (Void/Pest and Summer's End).

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Are we certain that these three storylines will continue with a quest each this year? (Do you have a source? That'd be handy).

Given how big each individual project ought to be (Arposandra, Red Axe finale, Cursed Archipelago), they'd have to pull quite a lot of resources to get all three out, not to mention the God storyline that's supposed to be this year's overarching theme. Just hoping we don't end up getting shortchanged on any of the quests ... would be extremely disappointed especially if Arposandra lacks any real substance.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I can't remember the source, but it was mentioned in one of the QA thingies somewhere from late last yr that Gnome, Dwarf and Pirate were all scheduled for releases in 2013.

Tbf they don't have to be short-changing God content to do them either:

Dwarves red-axe chaos dwarf + the Orge links could very easily bring some Zammy stuff and/or Bandos in the background.

Gnome story obviously could tackle a sort of 'what not' guthixian lore and hints about wtf is really going on in Arposanda could easily tie to lots of gods - perhaps the poison waste links to the 'extreme measures' Seren took to avoid the edicts?

Pirate mentioned featuring monkeys so could have Marimbo elements and I'm sure undead pirate types could quite easily have some godly affiliation to be exposed - admittedly this is the most distant from any god stuff, but 1/3 ain't bad.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Yeah, my issue is that they might feel tacked on and/or underdeveloped, and not fit with the general theme explored in previous quests. Still, would be nice to just have the quests, warts and all.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I suppose it depends how it is handled.

Dwarves for example if the bulk of the quest is tying up the existing plot, but just somewhere along the way, possibly in the finale, it is revealed they were making the army for their lord zamorak it'd sort of be a seed for the Zamorak god story but still neatly tie up the dwarf line.

Seren being in Arposanda wouldn't be an issue as a main quest point imo - the core of that series is kinda we dunno wtf is really in there, given locale and Guthix Seren links Seren wouldn't be outta place.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

In writing my response to which quest series I’d like to see updated, I am reminded of those cartoons where you see a group of five people sitting around the table in the upper floor of an office building, and the lead guy asks the other four a question, and three of the four lower echelon people give ridiculous answers, while the fourth gives a very reasonable answer and is subsequently tossed out the window of the office building …

Mod Mark: Okay Team, which long ignored Quest line should we update next?

Mod A: Oooh oooh! The Gnomes!

Mod 2: How about the Dwarves?

Mod ¢: I like the Pirates!!!!

Mod Ð: Why don’t we get off our asses and update the Elves and open up Prifddinas once and for all?

*throws Mod Ð out the window*

:rolleyes:

• Like 6

nyuseg.png

Dwarves for example if the bulk of the quest is tying up the existing plot, but just somewhere along the way, possibly in the finale, it is revealed they were making the army for their lord zamorak it'd sort of be a seed for the Zamorak god story but still neatly tie up the dwarf line.

That sort of thing could just as easily feel as if it was tacked on for the sake of it, though, especially if it's added in the last quest in the series without any foreshadowing.

I know the return of the gods is suupposed to be their main story arc, but that's not really supposed to mean they have to shoehorn every other quest into it.

That sort of thing could just as easily feel as if it was tacked on for the sake of it, though, especially if it's added in the last quest in the series without any foreshadowing.

I know the return of the gods is suupposed to be their main story arc, but that's not really supposed to mean they have to shoehorn every other quest into it.

But would it really be all that shoe horned?

We know Red Axe are making an army for someone or something - we do not know what.

They have a link to red a colour associated with Zamorak.

Chaos Dwarves have previously been implied to be Zamorakian.

Chaos is Zamorak's godly ideology.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

We know Red Axe are making an army for someone or something - we do not know what.

They have a link to red a colour associated with Zamorak.

Chaos Dwarves have previously been implied to be Zamorakian.

Chaos is Zamorak's godly ideology.

We know they are followers of zamorak; it was said somewhere in the forgettable tale of a drunken dwarf... I don't remember where.

*fixed my horrific speeling

• Like 1
meamzed.png

I'm just speaking generally. The dwarf one has business being a part of the gods storyline. Other quests, not so much.

Kind of like how they handled the transition from the Mahjarrat to the Dragonkin; Lucien is built up to be the big bad of the entire game, and the Ritual is set up as a major turning point in the war between the two Mahjarrat factions. The quest itself was incredibly short and ended quite suddenly; while it did bridge the two storylines in a way that makes perfect sense, it wasn't a particularly satisfying transition.

In short; the lore is there, but that doesn't mean they'll do it justice.

I haven't had the pleasure of being a P2P member for long, and with my quest cape coming up soon, I can't feel the same as other players here since I blasted by these quest in a year. With that said, if I really had to vote I'd put other: Elves.

Out of all the quest, elves are one of the quest lines that pain me the most. I did not enjoy doing that series (due to quest guides, I also didn't hate it). But that big empty space on my world map really ticks me off. I really want to see what it THERE.

That said I'm not sure what to vote. I love Pirate quest for their comedy and I don't mind a Gnome quest because they have been not to hard. But from what I gathered lorewise, Dwarves are one of the more important quest. With the events following TWW it would probably be important to finish that line soon. But like Alg said, they can totally butcher it.

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

I would like to see the elven storyline come to an end too. When they introduced the quest series, they said it would be an epic and big storyline. Almost ten year later we're still waiting, and I think the original quest planner has left Jagex a long time ago. I don't really care about dwarves, gnomes or pirates. I just want to see what happens in the elven lands.

Not that I can remember that much about the lore, as I completed some of the quests almost 10 years ago.

Pirkka.png

40,919th person to access Turmoil. 21,559th person to access Overloads.

signatureteksti.png

Are there any hidden bonuses here?

No bonuses

The elf quest guy did leave that was when we had the gap between Regicide and Mournings End but iirc he has since returned and supplied mep1 2 and within the light but he is also the lead guy on at least one other major quest series (I wanna say myreque but I may be wrong) which is why it's still slow. Though hopefully once one series is done all the focus can be on the other.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

The elf quest guy did leave that was when we had the gap between Regicide and Mournings End but iirc he has since returned and supplied mep1 2 and within the light but he is also the lead guy on at least one other major quest series (I wanna say myreque but I may be wrong) which is why it's still slow. Though hopefully once one series is done all the focus can be on the other.

Afaik Tytn H did all the elf quests up to mep2. He left, and Mod Chris L took over and made Within the light.

Definitely they have had people who worked on quest lines leave...

Also, I think they loath continuing old quest lines because of how old the content is they feel like they'd have to redo it since the current quest would outclass it too much otherwise.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Afaik Tytn H did all the elf quests up to mep2. He left, and Mod Chris L took over and made Within the light.

I'm pretty sure Tytn was the guy that did all the Vampyre quests excluding the newest one. I could be wrong though.

Sylpheed.png

Definitely they have had people who worked on quest lines leave...

Also, I think they loath continuing old quest lines because of how old the content is they feel like they'd have to redo it since the current quest would outclass it too much otherwise.

The thing is, they don't have to redo any of it. Just finish it. And actually give it some good closure.

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

No, but they probably don't want to remind people of old content that is outdated compared to recent updates. So they may be less inclined to do series parts of really outdated content (elves) without also giving a fresh coat graphically at least, to the old content.

I don't know for sure, but I bet that's part of the pressure causing old series to not be done.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I wish the final elf quest would have two alternate endings:

1. Help the elves out.

2. BURN THE LANDS TO ASHES

Surely they can't leave us with a tease of the crystal city and then leave it forever... Although... Jagex.

• Like 1
Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

After getting lost in that convoluted, outdated, messy amalgamation of inbred, smelly, homophobic, uglyass trees so many times, you can't imagine how often I fantasize about this.

• Like 3

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

After getting lost in that convoluted, outdated, messy amalgamation of inbred, smelly, homophobic, uglyass trees so many times, you can't imagine how often I fantasize about this.

*Gives Cheefoo an tinderbox*

• Like 1
Calm_Koala.png

I got lost in translation when you said homophobic.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png