Future Update Discussions

Cowman_133

Animations are tied to weapon type

Theoretically they could use different animations for override weapons as long as it was in the same weapon speed class. Yes, there code base may be unable to handle this now, but it would be possible.

However, handling override of a weapon with different speeds would be a lot more difficult because you need the attacks to line up right and you can't change how the weapon actually works. In addition, it would have to match 1h vs 2h as well. It makes more sense to go with the simple route of tying the animation to your weapon type class so that overrides don't have to change that and are simpler. (since there aren't many choices anyways with those restrictions of speed and hand count)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

IMO, there is no reason we couldn't have any override over any weapon.

Example: Pactbreaker longsword override over a Zamorakian spear. Make the Pactbreaker longsword a "dummy" item that would have the damage, accuracy and speed of the spear, while haretaining its own animation and having the game register its attacks as stab even though the animation shows slash.

Of course, they'd probably have to change how the stats system works internally for it to be possible (otherwise, no reason for them to have limited what weapons a certain override can be applied to.)

The trouble is the animations are tied to speed (As other already covered). Unless you literally make 5 or 6 attack animation sets for every weapon you can't easily override them blindly ignoring speed.

A slowest weapon over-ridden with a fastest the attacks animation vs the actual hits would get out of sync thus making timing things like abilities and prayer flicks a nightmare.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

It would, but that's besides the point.

Unless the actual animation of swinging the anchor is too slow to allow the animation to finish before it attacks again, in which case yes, it'd be a problem.

Animations aren't tied to the actual attacks though, so they wouldn't mess up abilities and soul split flashing etc.

The only issue would be purely graphical - swinging an anchor override whilst actually using dual wield claws would cause some attacks to occur without their animations playing, but this is already the case in game for stuff like CLS + EE.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Animations aren't tied to the actual attacks though, so they wouldn't mess up abilities and soul split flashing etc.

The only issue would be purely graphical - swinging an anchor override whilst actually using dual wield claws would cause some attacks to occur without their animations playing, but this is already the case in game for stuff like CLS + EE.

True in part but the example you give only applies to speed mis-matched dual wield though, as the OH is forced to act at the same speed as the MH, which is kinda a non-issue seeing as OH attacks less anyway and its the MH that you really wanna pay attention to when prayer flicking and such.

Timing wise you could do it BUT for the average player, heck even most metagamers I'd wager, you don't want to have some counter running (as a program, physical device or in your head) to count out fractional seconds to time your prayer flicks etc correctly and rely on the animations to give you the visual guide of when to act.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

yeah, you're right. Instead of animations you should rely on when you press the ability button. Nobody uses momentum+prayer flick (maybe ezk, hehe).

There's no real reason animations shouldn't be kept for keepsaked weapons, for the most part speeds are fairly similar within a "type" (mh/oh/2h mage/range/mage), enough at least there from being any issues. The only item I can see being an issue, is the dark bow, due to the weird way it works and it's very very slow speed.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

I've seen some strange stuff happen when you overlay a 2h weapon over the swagger stick, or when you're just messing around with the overlay previewer while holding an entirely different type of weapon, such as holding a crossbow over your shoulder....

This would, however, indicate that the game just assumes that you're holding a certain weapon type, and the thing attached to your arm could be anything and it wouldn't care if the game forgot to change the animation set when you equipped something.

For instance, the handcannon, as it's currently used, is actually being held upside down.

Three things are possible when an object is being used outside normal parameters:

- The rigging for the weapon does not match with the animation references, so it stays stock still while it's being used, but the character movement remains the same.

- Some of the rigging reference names for the weapon happen to match rigging cues for that weapon type, and the result is minor to massive spazzing out of the animation.

- The game detects that something has gone horribly wrong and crashes as a failsafe (this happens a lot in the html5 beta).

• Like 1

8f14270694.jpg

Oh wait, that's true, I completely forgot that it would look really weird to have a cosmetic 2h weapon while you're actually using dual wielded weapons.

I was mostly talking about 1h-dual wield, where the animations are really similar.

The next BTS is going to be awesome, mark my words.

Pirkka.png

40,919th person to access Turmoil. 21,559th person to access Overloads.

signatureteksti.png

Are there any hidden bonuses here?

No bonuses

The next BTS is going to be awesome, mark my words.

Well, if the new skill next month rumors are correct, why wouldn't it be? ;)

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Grabbed this post from another thread, but at timestamp 0:47 seconds that re-recording is absolutely lovely. Is that one of the audio samples we already heard from another BTS and I've just gone a bit crazy, or...?

hzvjpwS.gif

Some more information about the Ranged Slayer Dungeon from the RSOF (thanks to Pesceman3 on /r/runescape!)

Summary:

• The dungeon is smaller than Polypore, full of many Ascended
  • All Ascended are the same level, roughly same drops, all equally desirable
  • Ascended drop keys which open the Boss Rooms
  • Boss rooms are instanced solo boss fights, multiple kinds
  • Bosses drop pieces of the new weapon
  • Hints that the weapon is a Crossbow

• Like 1

Binary_Mage.pngxJgdnyi.png

The Fallen Diviner

We were all kind of hoping the Ranged dung would bring t90 to bow, crossbow and thrown leaving just mage to catch up; but given the snippet on the end of a bts A powerful new item I kinda suspect it'll be t80 Thrown since thrown has virtually nothing beyond dragon and sagies.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I doubt the bosses drop individual pieces of an expendable thrown weapon. If I had to guess, and Jagex were actually smart for once, I'd say the normal enemies drop something that's craft able into thrown and the bosses drop pieces of a crossbow/bow.

• Like 1
Sylpheed.png

if by "hints" you mean outright mentioned

"If the keys were untradeable, you'd never see a crossbow."

He said it in such an outright, matter-of-fact way in passing that it seems rather odd he would reveal the weapon like that. There's always the potential that he's talking about a different reward or other part of the dungeon.

The Fallen Diviner

Sorry for the double post in advance.

There's a new episode of Above the Lore focusing on the Signature Heroes.

Some bullet points for those that don't want to listen to the whole thing. Note that quotes are mostly paraphrased to get the meaning across

• No new Ozan quest in development, but one is certainly planned.
  • The mod who is in control of the Desert Quests likes the idea of one of the 8 Desert Gods defeating the others and becoming a major player in the overall Sixth Age
  • Said choice of god may be put in the player's (or players' ) hands
  • The Raptor is likely to be very interested in fighting the Gods
  • They have not decided what is behind The Raptor's helmet, they may not ever reveal it.
  • Rework of Black Knight's fortress is not a double quest like Ariane/Ozan--a single rework quest including Sir Owen.
  • New Black Knight's Fortress has many winks/nods to the former quest
  • Saradomin and his intentions will be heavily touched upon in the new quest
  • "Long-term plans" for Sir Owen in the Sixth Age. "Initially supports Saradomin, but won't be the pure-white Paladin forever"
  • "I would like for Ariane to try to become a god. She's very interested in studying them. So often it's the evil character who tries to get ultimate power, maybe this time it could be good--if not misguided"
  • "There is depth to The Raptor that will be explored"
  • Sir Owen's full name gets revealed in the new quest, Ariane's full name hasn't been planned.
  • There is a Quest Brief (a document detailing the specifics of a quest before actual development starts) that deals with several of the Signature Heroes that is being finalized.
  • "There will be some mention of the Signature Heroes in the new skills."

The Fallen Diviner

They also mentioned they had a breif for the Raptor fighting a "newly introduced" god...

Raptor Vs Sliske, GO.

• Like 1

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]