Future Update Discussions

Cowman_133

Where did these fake talks of ROTM coming out in July come from? I heard it was facebook, does anyone have a link or image?

Someone with access to the Runescape facebook user posted it.

I remember there being a picture somewhere on tif, but I can't remember where I saw it.

Page 73 of this very thread.

A shame it turns out to be fake.

Unless Mod Mark is lying.

priest_wiz.png

I get the joke...

"If you think this quest was amazing, wait until ROTM next month"

Obviously since nobody thought it was amazing we get no ROTM. Sneaky Jagfex.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

I get the joke...

"If you think this quest was amazing, wait until ROTM next month"

Obviously since nobody thought it was amazing we get no ROTM. Sneaky Jagfex.

I see what you did there.

[hide=Drops]Dragon: Spear x1, Med helm x3, legs x2, pickaxe x1, skirt x3, scimitar x1

Barrows: DH helm x1, Verac Brassy x2, Karil Skirt x1, Ahrim Hood x2, Guthan Spear

GWD: Arma Helm x1

Other: Handcannon x4, Leaf Bladed Sword x3[/hide]

Where did these fake talks of ROTM coming out in July come from? I heard it was facebook, does anyone have a link or image?

Someone with access to the Runescape facebook user posted it.

I remember there being a picture somewhere on tif, but I can't remember where I saw it.

Page 73 of this very thread.

A shame it turns out to be fake.

Unless Mod Mark is lying.

Jagex... Lying? Impossible! ! !

09144a99bb.png

It saddens me when I look at te concept art and then see the end result. Considering the tools they are workig with I can't fault either the gfx art team or the concept art team.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

It saddens me when I look at te concept art and then see the end result. Considering the tools they are workig with I can't fault either the gfx art team or the concept art team.

Show me a game where the concept art looks exactly like the end product.. with concepts you can pick a lovely perspective.. add tonnes of detail.. contrast and great lighting but you can't do that with the game engine + you forget it has to be rigged for animation, they might look at the concept and say well.. this can't really be animated so we have to tweak it.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

A game where the concept art is translated quite well into in-game art?

I can name two games off the top of my head. Vanillaware does this all the time with their games. Then there's The Witcher 2.

You're living in a time when concept art don't need to be boiled into 16-bit pixels or low-resolution polygons. It's all a matter of art direction and design. It really is because of the tools the Jagex graphics team are limited to that they're unable to truly make it appear like their concept art.

(WARNING: LARGE IMAGES)

Vanillaware's Dragon Crown:

1ik0.jpg

2djt4xf.jpg

CDProjekt Red's The Witcher 2:

34ifdxx.jpg

15yaptd.jpg

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

A game where the concept art is translated quite well into in-game art?

I can name two games off the top of my head. Vanillaware does this all the time with their games. Then there's The Witcher 2.

You're living in a time when concept art don't need to be boiled into 16-bit pixels or low-resolution polygons. It's all a matter of art direction and design. It really is because of the tools the Jagex graphics team are limited to that they're unable to truly make it appear like their concept art.

(WARNING: LARGE IMAGES)

Vanillaware's Dragon Crown:

1ik0.jpg

2djt4xf.jpg

CDProjekt Red's The Witcher 2:

34ifdxx.jpg

15yaptd.jpg

the former is using 2d sprites. Of course it's easy to copy concept art into a 2d sprite, that's a copy and paste.

It is A LOT harder to translate 2d to 3d.

the latter is a new and high end PC game that uses takes up 8.5 gb's of hard drive space.

your image is also an atypical image taken to make the game look good.

When you actually play the game, the character model actually looks a bit more like this:

People_Geralt_full_2.png

Naaxi.png

He wanted a game where the concept art is exactly like the game art. Well, I gave him one. He didn't say it didn't have to be 2d or 3d.

And that's from the first game, the screenshots I used are for the second.

18330.jpg

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

This concept art thing:

1) All 2d games are irrelevant as examples as 2d is much easier and runescape is not 2d.

2) Any game that is 3D but not 100% browsers based with no disc at all is relevant as it is much much easier to have HUGE polygon counts on offline, disc based games

Runescape is pretty amazing graphics wise for what it is, I know of no other 100% browser based 3d games that come anywhere close, even in games that are 1 player so the data transfer element of mmo is removed. And things are always getting better, I would say most of the in-game graphics of new things today are pretty close to the concept art and nudging closer year by year.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I find that TOR's (Star Wars: The Old Republic) in-game graphics have a lot of similarities to the concept art.

concept02_800x450_holonet.jpg

screen02_800x450_holonet.jpg

concept01_800x450_holonet.jpg

screen01_800x450_holonet.jpg

With that said, it is quite unreasonable to expect a game that runs right off the browser to have extremely high quality graphics in line with its concept art.

Fellsig.jpg

I fail to see how RuneScape's excuse is that it is browser based. Much of it uses code that requires external dependencies, such as OpenGL and DirectX. As a consequence, it is capable of graphics in line with game examples presented here. However, Jagex chooses to use less data in order to not require hundreds of megabytes of download. This is not to say it's impossible for them to do so. On the contrary, I'm sure Jagex could roll out a replacement graphic set with much higher requirements that is downloaded and replaces the old Jagex cache.

Also, Java cannot be considered slow and the reason behind the worse graphics. Unless the compiler, regardless of it being native or JIT, is absolutely horrible, this is not a valid point. Only in the most critical loops would Java fail. In those cases, however, Java can interface with native code, just as they do already in order to use OpenGL and DirectX.

I would also like to point out that the Jagex cache is about 200mb once it is completely downloaded.

ozXHe7P.png

This concept art thing:

All 2d games are irrelevant as examples as 2d is much easier and runescape is not 2d.

Just because it does it well, it is therefore irrelevant? Heh.

It is easier now than before for 2D games to look closer to their concept art since it is a maturing graphics medium for games thanks to technology. It was quite a while back when 2D art was mainly pixel art that vaguely had the outlines of the concept. 3D is going through the same stages, only slower.

1emk2e.png

This concept art thing:

All 2d games are irrelevant as examples as 2d is much easier and runescape is not 2d.

Just because it does it well, it is therefore irrelevant? Heh.

It is easier now than before for 2D games to look closer to their concept art since it is a maturing graphics medium for games thanks to technology. It was quite a while back when 2D art was mainly pixel art that vaguely had the outlines of the concept. 3D is going through the same stages, only slower.

No its irrelevant because the medium of 2d and 3d are two entirely different ballparks in terms of methods and technical capabilities; and therefore cross referencing as a benchmark is pointless.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

No its irrelevant because the medium of 2d and 3d are two entirely different ballparks in terms of methods and technical capabilities; and therefore cross referencing as a benchmark is pointless.

Show me a game where the concept art looks exactly like the end product

A game is a game.

And in any case, a 3D game that translated its 2D concepts well is Okami.

EDIT: Like I said before, it's a matter of art direction. The artists might have neat looking stylized concept art but the rest of the developers decide they need something much more realistic and gritty. Then it becomes a question of whether or not there is a middle ground where the final product has kept at least some of the concept's general outlines.

Another game where the concept art is very close to it's final 3D product: Alice Madness Returns.

1emk2e.png

EDIT: Like I said before, it's a matter of art direction. The artists might have neat looking stylized concept art but the rest of the developers decide they need something much more realistic and gritty. Then it becomes a question of whether or not there is a middle ground where the final product has kept at least some of the concept's general outlines.

Well said. Concept art is exactly that: a concept. It simply serves as a starting point for the game designers to incorporate ideas into the game. Some concepts are simply too detailed or unwieldy to reproduce into the game as they were drawn.

Personally, I think Jagex's design team have done an excellent job of translating the graphic artists' ideas into in-game reality.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Jagex does a great job with their graphics. I was just saying that comparing their art and graphics shows a huge dissimilarity. I partially blame the far view of the camera too, but meh.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Jagex does a great job with their graphics. I was just saying that comparing their art and graphics shows a huge dissimilarity. I partially blame the far view of the camera too, but meh.

Very good point! I think that if the game camera was more flexible, if the view distance was larger and the overall scale of the gameworld was more realistic, where player characters aren't the size of trees for example, the game would look far better and more like the concept art.

Fellsig.jpg

Very good point! I think that if the game camera was more flexible, if the view distance was larger and the overall scale of the gameworld was more realistic, where player characters aren't the size of trees for example, the game would look far better and more like the concept art.

I said the same thing in another (this?) thread a few days ago. The camera angle limits so much. It limits us because even if effort was put into detailed models we wouldn't be able to see them. It limits the developers because they aren't exactly motivated to make awesome detailed models when nobody will see them anyways.

Once we get a camera that is more dynamic, if that's the right term, then we can expect to see improvements in graphics. Currently though even if they were super detailed we wouldn't really notice.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

Blatantly illegal, but there was a thread where you could hack the client by modifying a line of hex to unlock more developer commands and play with camera angles different from normal.

We might see it in the future.

1emk2e.png

Blatantly illegal, but there was a thread where you could hack the client by modifying a line of hex to unlock more developer commands and play with camera angles different from normal.

We might see it in the future.

I remember that, you could zoom into an almost first-person type of view, or you could zoom out so far that you could see whole cities/entire dungeons.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.