New Players (NOOBS) Getting A Bad Rap? - Post here!!!

chunky_monkey5

I've noticed over the years that the definition of noob has changed a lot. It used to be an insult primarily intended for immature people (or those who made absolutely atrocious suggestions/trades) Now you can be a noob for anything.

Earlier today for example, I was heading over to do some Pest Control and my combat isn't very high (69, the exact reason I was doing PC) and some guy got on the lander and immediately called me a noob. He was no more than 93 (memory is hazy)

Fun fact: I've been playing this game on and off since 2001. There were only 2 servers when I started. My levels don't show it, but the knowledge is there. I don't take any offence to being called a noob.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definition of noob: Any player that is idiotic and/or immature.

Noob's definition of noob: Any player that isn't.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

Darn it happened again... I was going to buy a highway man mask, and honestly I didn't know how much those were worth, so I just told the guy who was selling it to tell me. He kept telling me "offer, offer!" so I put up 15k. The guy was like "Noob this is worth 50k!" and then flammed me everywhere I went in Catherby. If you want someone to offer, at least tell them a base price if they don't already know. :wall:

I hate people that want me to offer, they are just trying to see if you will overpay them... Offering = Noobish (not newbish, which is new player that doesnt know any better... yet)

8-)

Pasty.png

yeah, i sometimes get called a noob for not getting abby pked, and i see many people called noobs for simply not doing something a person wants, like dying. I think most people who do this are 10 y/o anyways, so they don't like being told to stop calling people noobs, because that just turns it into a war.

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg

(Fixed on other posts, too. Thanks for letting me know!)

Sorry if this has been said before, but I didn't feel like reading all 10+ pages at this point...

Anyone notice that people don't know the definitions of the words they're using anymore? Take Newb, Noob, and Nub:

Newb used to be a shortened for of Newbie, which meant that a player didn't know much about the game, or part of the game, but it wasn't derogatory.

Noob, however, was reserved for the annoying, usually high-level players that made playing near them annoying (door shutters, spammers, etc.) and this was meant to be offensive.

And, as far as I've heard, Nub means a high-leveled Newb--I've only heard a definition from one or two people, so if you know, please tell me ^_^--which, in my book, is the same thing as calling them a Newb, so why the new wording?

What's up with the chat language these days?

Elven_Myst.png

People that call people noobs, generally are noobs themselves.

But really the only reason you have to call somebody a noob is if they start bugging you nonstop over something stupid. Noob is an attitude, not a level. <.<

I get called a prayer noob because I take advantage of my high(ish) prayer level and use protect from whatever. I do something smart, they call me a noob, I do something dumb and I get called a noob.

There are no winners in a war of idiots.

Somebody sig that =]

Pasty.png

Sorry if this has been said before, but I didn't feel like reading all 10+ pages at this point...

Anyone notice that people don't know the definitions of the words they're using anymore? Take Newb, Noob, and Nub:

Newb used to be a shortened for of Newbie, which meant that a player didn't know much about the game, or part of the game, but it wasn't derogatory.

Noob, however, was reserved for the annoying, usually high-level players that made playing near them annoying (door shutters, spammers, etc.) and this was meant to be offensive.

And, as far as I've heard, Nub means a high-leveled Newb--I've only heard a definition from one or two people, so if you know, please tell me ^_^--which, in my book, is the same thing as calling them a Newb, so why the new wording?

Nub=what people get called by noobs. Not a true insult.

Noobs can be any level. But noobs often use it too.

2077089531_93b87b9d10.jpg

You're being watched.

Nub=what people get called by noobs. Not a true insult.

Noobs can be any level. But noobs often use it too.

Randomfan124345( made up): Lol Noob.

Noob: wtf

Randomfan: Noob

noob: omfg nublet

Pretty much done with rs now

I have an example of how people think you are a noob based on your combat lvl. My account has lvl 8 combat and lvl 38 prayer, though i had a high lvl member for a while. To get 38 prayer, i was burying bones people left at the cows. Suddenly i leveled up; heres how the conversasion went.

Me:W00t!!! 38 prayer!!!

Other guy: Haha noob you dont have 38 prayer

Me:*turns on protect from mage* how could i do this?

Other guy: Omfg!!! Lvl 8 noob has 38 prayer!!!!

It made me chuckle. Just thought i would share this story of people basing noobyness on combat level.

ko0kymonster.png

chocccclk6.png

There are no winners in a war of idiots.

Somebody sig that =]

This is gunna sound nooby...lol. But how do i add stuff like that to my siggy.

Noob :roll:

Heheh. Click that "profile" link on the top of the page, and there you will find something like signature settings. Copypasta that useless line into the white box and press "OK" or "Accept" or whatever is there. I can't know too much, since I decided never to put up an avatar on this forum, and no sig except from that stat sig and that was long ago.

2077089531_93b87b9d10.jpg

You're being watched.

I'm level 76 with full sara...just background info...

Me: nice sara lol

Lvl 72: ****

Lvl 72: Noob

Me: ..?

Lvl 72: You

I try to compliment a guy, said lol because I have full sara too, and he calls me a noob. How mature can RuneScape players get!?!

/FG/First thread post to when I joined the family.

VR48f.jpg

[hide=Insert rant here]blahblahblahLIFE[/hide]

img

i absoultly hate it when people call you a newb when u say no to fight.

i was asked to fight by a lvl LOWER than me. i said no because i dont like to fight other players. he started calling me a newb. whats up with that? :-s its mean to call some one that. even if i am a newb or noob i dont care, if u call me a newb u are rude.

im lvl 24 im a newb i except that but i get it im newb u dont have to kep tellin me. some peeps at r s can be sooo mean.

reach out and open the door that no one thought could be opened. life is behind it! we dont have an enterity to realize our dreams only the time we are here. if you risk nothing than you risk everything. hihi im luckyshamrock im a newb get over it.

I call myself a noob all the time. As far as I'm concerned, it's a joke.

The only people who call others a noob are those you need to elevate themselves or don't get what they want.

dreggstar.png

• 2 weeks later...

as my siggy says.

If i got 1gp for everytime sum1 said da word noob.

i wud have a full p hat ste.

who agrees with me?

i was once fighting sum1 in da wildy ...

me:omfg ur higer then me!

he:just by 1 level

me:err ok

(fight oes on...)

he:(eats food)

me:hey! u said no food!

he:noob

me:haha i knew u r gunna cheat me so i brought sum food along too

he:(gunna die,running away)noob.

wat de heck!

he ran away by telling me a noob?

err i think ppl who run away r noobs..... :uhh:

If i got 1gp for everytime sum1 said the word "noob",I would have a full p hat set.

nahhh ill continue mis-spelling

iqrasoft.jpeg

^!click for blog!^

sigs by: woopidoo2|yaff2|4be2jue|me|guthix121

I get called a noob all the time, or a choob, or choob caake, or any other f***ing thing you can think of. This really sickens me, these little ten year olds run around calling decent people noobs. I had to make a new runescape because i was hacked, and now these little pre-teen gaming addicts are running around- bronze dagger in hand, calling me a damn noob, oh i dont think so mother f***er. And then when you challenge them to a battle, they either wuss out, have fifty million other noobs gang up on you, or run away in the middle of a battle.

If you like chicken, then you are awesome!

My opinion:

Immature RS players use the word "noob" constantly to describe anybody who does or represents things that the immature player doesn't like or agree with.

Basically, a "noob" to them is anyone besides themself.

19205215.png

• 2 weeks later...

A noob is a person who is just generally lacking common sense or is being annoying or immature.

A newb is a new person. You don't see this used almost anywhere anymore, and even then it's more appropriate to call them "new players" or something to that effect.

Calling someone a noob is just annoying. :wall: If I ever made a game if you called someone a noob or even said the word noob you would be muted for 48 hours. Why? It's just one of those words that doesn't need to be said at all. I was once playing (just yesterday, I believe) as a current F2Per when I saw some level 7 saying, "B sale no noobs!!111." I think to myself, how many "noobs" could trade with him? He's only level 7! The word noob isn't just annoying, it's hypocritical, as in the level 7's case. I got called a noob (I'm combat level 62, haven't trained that in years, I'm more of a skiller.) by a level 35 guy once, in a members world of all places! He then logged, of course. I wasn't going to say anything, but how typical.

So to sum everything up, the word "noob" could be used sparingly, but not as an insult. How would it not be an insult? People would find some way, I'm sure. And it's not a big problem, it's just one of those annoying things that doesn't need to be said by anyone over the age of 12, really.

pwned.png

It's dolomite, baby!

Dark matter - Each pound of which weighs over ten thousand pounds.

• 2 weeks later...

me? personly i think that no matter how much anyone calls anyone a noob

the truth still stands tall "anyone who calls someone a noob with a stupid reason IS the noob himeslf"

heres a story about how guthan agrees with me :wink:

okay. i was in barrows

noob: dude. ur to low lvl for barows

me:(level 80) true. but its fun to do barrows and besides...if i get an item. more stuff for meh! \'

noob: *fighting guthan* whatever fr00b

me: how am i a noob?

noob: cause ur level 80 *not paying attention to the fight*

me: mmkay..keep thinking that

noob: yeah and im gonna have a free red dhide soon cause ur gonna die

*about 10 life left..not noticing*

me: hehe

noob: *looks at life* omg *guthan hits a 10*

me: buh-bye

i got a free rune and slayer staff that day \'

signitureah0.png

Time waits for no man, but it can take a break for one in the restroom.

proud wearer of chain armor!~!~!~!~!

I'm a nub \'

I'm a pray nub...

I'm a nub cause I owned all of tetau with 2 other people \' ( 30 on 3)

and im a nub cause I use power ammys

I'm a nub cause I hit and run people with high def ( mean reall high over 40)

And I've been called a nub cause I actualy killed some people

pretty good for a noob eh? :thumbsup:

1. yes you are

2.also yes you are

3.other way around we owned you and your friends(pic and VIDEO proof)

[hide=Proof]

revengeyi9.png

and somewhere hidden in fresi videos is a video of you and your friends downfall[/hide]

4.no comment really :?

5.40 is not really high def

6. no comment either

Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

94qbe.jpg

well i mean noob is'nt even in the dictionary. So why does it really matter how its used, its a slang word. So however people use it, is what it means right?

you say noob to newer players, and tbh if your not ATLEAST 90 you are pretty much still a noob. i call my friends noobs all the time just to joke around, even though most of them dont play any online games at all, its just something to laugh and joke about or poking fun at someone...i mean its not like 50 cent or some really gangster dude says it to "diss" someone its not offensive in my opinion, just some word.