Ipod vs Zune !!!@@~ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN~!!!@@

Yomyth105

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

So I have no mp3 player at all. I look at the two hottest on the market and here they are: Ipod from Apple and Zune from Microsoft. Ah! This seems so familiar. Another showdown just like the Mac vs PC. BRING IT!

Ipod have dominated but the Zune seems to have potential. Now I have neither and I just want to ask you folks. What would you prefer and which one is better.

To give you a bit more background... i like music and i just want a simple, cheap mp3 player that plays the songs i want and it must be good enough to run with... Any other accessories are great also.

Just try to make some comparisons and tell me which one you would recommend or which one you prefer. Put reasoning into your answers. I dont want an answer like IPOD all the WAY! Or ZUNE... because i pod iz the [cabbage]z!

I have always had a zune, its nice when it works but it [bleep]s up every once in a while.

Really like it but also the software is a [bleep] to use on a slow computer.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Honestly it depends on how much space you need. If you want like 80GB or more than I would go with an iPod. Otherwise I would go with another brand of Mp3 player such as creative Zen or something.

And I would stay far away from Zune. :)

iTunes is a horrible piece of software, and you can't replace the battery on an iPod. I'd go with a Zune.

mssigqc5.jpgI do English to Japanese and Japanese to English translation for free! Just keep it under 5 sentences, and PM me to use my fluency in Japanese to your advantage!

I have a Zune and the thing is amazing. Even the new slimline models are tough and durable while the old 30GB versions are veritable tanks. Microsoft's customer support also rocks. I had a few dead pixels on my Zune so they sent me back my irreperable old zune as a backup, and a brand new one free of charge, and even refunded me the shipping cost I spent to ship it to them.

The software is very easy to use and very pleasant looking, and the menu on the device itself is intuitive. Now that Zunes have games, the only thing they truly lack is a TV tuner. The screen is very crisp and larger than most iPods for the price. Which is another part of the Zune's features. It's cheap.

iPods are nice and all, but I am incredibly happy with my Zune. I'd recommend doing intensive research via consumer reports and getting into the store and trying them out before you buy, though. If my post wasn't enough to convince you, this thread will reek of fanboyism :P.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

I have a Zune and the thing is amazing. Even the new slimline models are tough and durable while the old 30GB versions are veritable tanks. Microsoft's customer support also rocks. I had a few dead pixels on my Zune so they sent me back my irreperable old zune as a backup, and a brand new one free of charge, and even refunded me the shipping cost I spent to ship it to them.

The software is very easy to use and very pleasant looking, and the menu on the device itself is intuitive. Now that Zunes have games, the only thing they truly lack is a TV tuner. The screen is very crisp and larger than most iPods for the price. Which is another part of the Zune's features. It's cheap.

iPods are nice and all, but I am incredibly happy with my Zune. I'd recommend doing intensive research via consumer reports and getting into the store and trying them out before you buy, though. If my post wasn't enough to convince you, this thread will reek of fanboyism :P.

Back when I was looking there was all that talk of Zune's being glitchy or not working with certain song formats (there was some big downfall that thwarted Microsoft for a bit), so I ended up getting an 30GB iPod as a gift and have been pleasantly pleased with it. I honestly have had no problems with iTunes other than my stereo receiver confusing iTunes into playing at super speed with no sound (happens from power surges, crummy wiring). Anyways, glad to hear the Zune is a good deal.

Get an mp3 or Zune. iTunes makes me want to murder babies.

I murder babies anyway, which is why I got the Baby Hunter app on my iTouch.

Huge pet peeve of mine, its called an iPod Touch not iTouch. If you got something that is called an "iTouch" I would send your knock off back to China, because sir you have been scammed.

I had 2 iPods, then switched to the Zune aka "The Brick" when that first came out, sold that bought the square nano, then sold that again and now I currently have the iPod Touch 16gb. I like it a lot, iPods are great products I would recommend them over and over again.

tFtfA.jpg

iTunes is a horrible piece of software, and you can't replace the battery on an iPod. I'd go with a Zune.

You're wrong on both statements. iTunes is wonderful to use compared to Windows Media Player, and the battery last long too.

If you want an MP3 Player to take with you when running, get and iPod nano. They're very compact in your pocket, and you don't feel it. I've got one that is second generation, three years, old and it is good as new. Strong as a brick too.

Though, I have an 80GB iPod Classic, too.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

I have not tried an Ipod, but I do own a Zune 4gb that I bought last December, and I am enjoying it. It is slim enough to fit in my pocket and not feel it at all. I like the size of the screen, and the zune pad works well.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

If all you want to do is play music, maybe you should just buy the cheapest MP3 you can find with the amount of space you need. (Granted, it shouldn't be some bootleg thing from China...)

You're wrong on both statements. iTunes is wonderful to use compared to Windows Media Player, and the battery last long too.

I'm not sure he was referring to Windows Media Player. I find Winamp to be much better than iTunes, though the Zune software, in my opinion, sucks. (Though it is easy to use. Just not organized enough for me.) And Zunes aren't compatible with Winamp. (Zens and iPods are, I think?)

I won't say iPods suck, but I have this thing against Apple, so I got a Zune. It went down to personal preference to be honest, they're so similar there really isn't a huge advantage for either.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

Itunes is horrible

WMP is alot better. (but Winamp is still light years ahead of both)

Ipods have this touch wheel or something that i found uncomfortable.

Zunes have something similar, but it's a squared circle (if that makes sense) but i have no experience with it.

Meh

Zens FTW!

Itunes is horrible

WMP is alot better. (but Winamp is still light years ahead of both)

Ipods have this touch wheel or something that i found uncomfortable.

Zunes have something similar, but it's a squared circle (if that makes sense) but i have no experience with it.

Meh

Zens FTW!

It doesn't really seem like you have much experience with either of them. :| And the Touch doesn't have a wheel, but a beautiful touch screen. :P I love my Touch so much. <3: I wouldn't get it if you don't have WiFi though.

Both fail to me anyways.

I have a standard Mp3 player with 30 to 40 songs. Max.

It does me justice

Ipod has small battery, Zune is huge.

Both fail. As mine has 11 hour lifespan and is small enough to fit in pocket.

If you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

People knock the Zunes but here's my rationale for buying one:

I used to have an 8gb Creative Zen Microphoto for about 3 yrs. It was time to upgrade. I wanted something with larger storage space. The Ipod Touch had been out for a while but at the time came only in 8 and 16gb models. Not much of an upgrade on space.

Zune 80 gb was released in Canada in July and I thought I'd compare the Ipod classic to the Zune 80gb. They do a lot of the same thing but I like the Zune UI more than an Ipod. They both have the same functions (I don't really care about the additional radio function on the Zune). But the Zune 80gb had wireless capabilities which allowed me to send songs to friends to check out and recently allowed me to purchase music from their online store (similar to iTunes). Also the screen is bigger and the Zune came with pretty good in ear headphones.

The Zune and the iPod 80gb classic both cost the same at the time. The Zune did everything the iPod classic does other and then some. I picked the Zune. The only downfall: no equalizer.

Now, I don't recommend buying a larger sized Zune as they discontinued the 80gb model (which had a metal body throughout) and has been replaced by a 120gb model with a shiny plastic front and a black metal backing(which I can see being scratched and looking ugly. The 80gb had a silver backing which I have yet to scratch). Also they no longer include in ear headphones but cheap buds instead. I'd say discontinuing the 80gb model was a mistake.

Zaataar.png

Here is my take:

I use a Sandisk Sansa MP3 player; syncs up with Windows Media Player, is durable, and cost me $30 (8gb). I don't understand people who need the massive storage space (20+gb) only to end up endlessly skipping 90% of the music on their player.

How hard is it to one every week or two refresh the music that is on the player? I have trouble finding 2gb worth of music I want to listen to at any given time...

Not to mention iPods try to take over your computer and "punish" you for having a PC and not a Mac. I find this downright heinous. They make you install all of their extra software, and there are always mischievous processes running in the background called "Itunes Helper" and "Ipod Service" that constantly come back even when you try to end them, something is not right there..

In short, F*** iPods, get a Zune or a lesser known brand. Don't give into the hype.

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

Here is my take:

I use a Sandisk Sansa MP3 player; syncs up with Windows Media Player, is durable, and cost me $30 (8gb). I don't understand people who need the massive storage space (20+gb) only to end up endlessly skipping 90% of the music on their player.

How hard is it to one every week or two refresh the music that is on the player? I have trouble finding 2gb worth of music I want to listen to at any given time...

Not to mention iPods try to take over your computer and "punish" you for having a PC and not a Mac. I find this downright heinous. They make you install all of their extra software, and there are always mischievous processes running in the background called "Itunes Helper" and "Ipod Service" that constantly come back even when you try to end them, something is not right there..

In short, F*** iPods, get a Zune or a lesser known brand. Don't give into the hype.

+1

I used to have a 4GB Sansa and loved using it. Beautiful piece of design :P

Anyway, it depends on what you're using it for... Generally, small flash based players are better for running with, so I'd say either check out a Sandisk Sansa of relevant size, a Creative ZEN (I myself have an old ZEN Vision:M 60GB... tis an effing brick but so much better than either iPods or Zunes...) or whatever the equivalent sized iRiver player is (not sure about them, haven't looked at their website in a while).

All of them have advantages over iPods or Zunes:

All Sansas have a MicroSD expansion slot so you can add however much memory you want, Sansas are generally a joy to use (I found the Sansa's wheel a lot better than the iPod wheel) and the UI is absolutely intuitive. They also allow you to replace your own battery (little screws on the back) although explaining to everyone that your mp3 player is in fact better than an iPod does get a little annoying at times.

Creative is well known for over engineering most of their products, so a well looked after ZEN will probably outlast you, and the sound quality is outstanding on all ZENs I've ever listened to (especially when compared to an iPod).

iRivers tend to be more expensive, but the sound quality is even better than the equivalent Creative and having something completely original is somehow compelling...

Go for any of them and you'll be happy

All the ones I mentioned are also fully plug-and-play, so you can literally drag and drop music into the relevant disk in My Computer or whatever the Mac equivalent is, and it'll recognise it from the ID3 tags. However, if you do use software, the Creative software can be a little bit tetchy when dealing with huge numbers of files (transferring 20,000+ images and music files onto my Vision:M has caused the software to throw a hissy fit in the past).

On balance, I'd say as long as you don't get an iPod (crappy sound quality, AWFUL software, unreliable and expensive to repair) or a Zune (don't know too much about them, but I've never encountered a piece of Microsoft software that hasn't had crippling bugs in it so I'd avoid them like the plague).

I completely agree with this guy. Ipods are cool an all, but to me zunes seem better imo ;)

[hide=Stats]Jacobrodrig4.png[/hide]

[hide=Total Exp Today]Jacobrodrig4.png[/hide]

Talk on the phone for hours with schoolmates and you have an active social life.

Raid naxx with some schoolmates on WoW and you're a fat menace to society with no ambition or motivation.