Weekly Poll: If we changed the Tip.It Times to a monthly...

Kiara_Kat

i voted yes, because yes i would like them to post letters to the editor the read but ONLY if they for some reason chose to make the Times a monthly. I would moreso prefer them to just keep the Times a weekly issue, though I do understand that it's probably a difficult task for The Editor to crank out new quality articles every week and keep a normal life.

truevamopcopynh4.gif

When I Have It, It's the World's. When I Don't Have It, The World Is Mine.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sensing this question goes far deeper than what's mentioned on the front page, but in any case, I voted for 'No Opinion'.

The reason being is that I wouldn't like that, but I would still like change. One of the very few faults I find with the Times is that The Editor doesn't actually debate the counter-argument. It's almost like he makes a point, then doesn't stop around to see what other people think. I personally would want for whoever makes the article to come onto the related thread and discuss things in a mature debate, rather than just issuing a statement. In the case of The Editor, s/he could come on a special account to hide his/her identity.

Bascially, what I'm asking for is more discussion, as opposed to a series of statements and counter-statements.

I think if tip.it times became a monthly feature, publishing other things would be a good idea. However, I would rather see a bi-weekly times publication than a monthly one, because I enjoy tip.it times quite a bit.

Blooblyblobl.gif

Legends quest completed at lvl 47 on X Legendre X

#3056 to 99 firemaking, achieved on July 4th, 2007.

Tied for #1854 to 99 farming, achieved on September 3rd, 2008.

I would enjoy some "letters to the editor", but having them three out of four weeks, with a times only once a month would get kind of boring to me, after a while. My suggestion would be, if the Times went to be once a month, I would prefer letters to the editor once a week, instead of thrice. That would leave two weeks to fill with whatever. Maybe "guest article" week, once a month, and one week with something else.

My Idea:

Week one: Guest Article Week

Week two: Letter's to the editor

Week three: Whatever, maybe just white noise while we all wait for the times article?

Week four: The Editor's Times article.

How would that be?

I wouldn't mind, but if there was a monthly article then I'd expevt it to be somewhat lengthy.

But I also enjoy the wekkly article alot so I wouldn't mind either way.

Everyone knows that Monkey Madness is an absurd scenario of what life would be like for the modern day caucasion male if the British won the American Revoultion.

ok i know that this is not what the poll is asking, but i want the weekly times to stay!

having said that, if it must be changed, then we would need something else to fill the space right? so letters to the editor might be a good idea. i think i have to agree with Errdoth, three times a month compared to one times would get a little boring.

maybe if we could get a guest article one week, then letters to the editor, then the times then more letters to balance it out a bit more?

From a more personal point of view, and with no offence intended, i dont know the editor. why should s/he be the one answering letters? Are these letters to be questions? in which case why is the editor more qualified than any other player to answer them? again i must emphasize i mean no offence to the editor.

i wonder if i can use an example to help explain what i mean....

people want to ask paul and andrew questions, because they created rs. people want to ask zezima questions, because he is the number 1 player. people write to npc's within runescape, because they have had some kind of prolonged interation with them, and are curious about personality or whatever. the editor, to us, is just a faceless name.... why would we ask questions, other than who are you? why would you write letters to someone who is effectively a stranger?

sometimes there are days when i really want to hit you..... this is one of those days

on topic: it would be nice IF you made it monthly

off topic: dont you dare make it monthly.. I'll hunt down your cubs kiara kat... :twisted:

Agreed IF you made it monthly fine but just don't make it monthly.

From a more personal point of view, and with no offence intended, i dont know the editor. why should s/he be the one answering letters? Are these letters to be questions? in which case why is the editor more qualified than any other player to answer them? again i must emphasize i mean no offence to the editor.

i wonder if i can use an example to help explain what i mean....

people want to ask paul and andrew questions, because they created rs. people want to ask zezima questions, because he is the number 1 player. people write to npc's within runescape, because they have had some kind of prolonged interation with them, and are curious about personality or whatever. the editor, to us, is just a faceless name.... why would we ask questions, other than who are you? why would you write letters to someone who is effectively a stranger?

Hmm interesting what would someone ask the editor that was interesting at all, I mean what would I want to ask him/her and if the editor is more than one person how do we know the person we want answers.

I think you may have "letters to the editor" confused with a "Q & A", or maybe I do?

Lighting the Way

In "Overachievers We Love" [Headline, Mar.], you mention that sciientists at the University of Sydney have slowed the speed of light by 16 percent. But Lene Hau here at Harvard University has not only slowed light from 186,000 miles per second to a near standstill, she has moved it and then restored it to it's original speed. That's way cooler than what the Aussies accomplished, as well as a significant step closer to the next great information system.

Joe xxxxx

Combridge, Mass.

Assistant editor Lauren Aaronson replies: Hau's achievement is indeed cooler-litterally. She stops light when it travels through an unusual kind of superfluid matter, called Bose-Einstein condensate, that only occurs in cold atom clouds at extremely low temperatures. This is very impressive, but it's different from the research we described. Sydney professor Benjamin Eggleton works with actual fiber-optic systems, demonstrating that it's possible to slow light in more common, practical situations. Ultimately, both kinds of research are important to bringing about an all opical internet

Versus:

Q.What is the best way to level fishing

A. Powerfish.

I would still like to see this feature, but don't let it be flooded with only questions about the identity of the editor, please.

IF(I hope that IF doesn't turn into reality) Tip.It times does become a monthly thing, I hope that the article is alot longer then it is weekly.

To fill in the gaps between articles, I think the letters would become tiresome after so many weeks, I think every week should be somethign different as suggested previously.

Week 1:something

Week 2:Something different then week 1.

Week 3:Something different then week 1, and 2.

Week 4: TIP IT TIMES<3

I will still read the times no matter how often it is published. But I do think that there needs to be something more often than just once a month. Doing letters to the editor would be okay but you need something more than just that. Doing guest articles would be on thing but that would quickly get old.

Just bouncing around some ideas here, but maybe we could have like monthly (by that I mean four weeks - not a strict month) topics. For example, one month we could dicuuss the economy, then rule breakers, than perhaps Jagex themselves etc. using the format that was suggested by Errdoth earlier on, kinda like this:

1st week) The Editor should write his/her own view in the first week

2nd week) A Guest article highlighting a counter-argument in the next week

3rd week) A debate session using the forums on the Friday evening after (with the best points being put onto the main site)

4th week) Perhaps a pole on the final week, and a few closing words by the Editor?

I'm running pretty short on ideas, but maybe someone else could think up some features to fill in the month?

Pleeeeeease, everyone. We're not asking you if you want a weekly or monthly Times, OK? We're asking you if you want a Letters to the Editor feature IF we go monthly.

Yes, i believe that if one to where write articles on a monthly basis, there should be a letter to the editor section. You could also make many other types of small articales as well. :D

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

Nooo! I love reading the times every week! :(

I agree, I like the times as is, but I would settle for bi-weekly (alternating 1 week article, next week letters, and so on)

Not that I have a choice, i'll settle fro whatever really but the above is what I prefer.

+1

Andus-Sig-1.jpg

The poll does kinda scare me.

I voted YES, so there would be something to read every week.

But i love the times, so just don't change it!

siggya.th.png

xprozaccx.png

RIP my main Xprozaccx.

Still Dreaming of Farming Cape

Confucius say: "Crowded elevator smell different to a midget" xD

If you switch to monthly I'd try out letters and see how the response goes. Check traffic, check forum response activity, etc, to see if it's worth it for you guys. You guys are working your editor a lot though, I say switch to monthly, and if you do, just see how letters go and take it from there.

I don't like the idea of a "Letters to the Editor," because the Tip.It Times includes information about previous updates, and future possible updates in Runescape. I believe letters to the editor will just be asking for advice, or just some funny comments. I always look forward to the Tip.It Times every week, so I wouldn't like it to change now :wink:

iHogi.png

yes, having something else to read for the other three weeks would be nice. but i would still like to have a tip.it times article every week. is the editor running out of ideas for tip.it times?

Nairb168.gif

Retired from runescape. I will be on every now and then though. :)

First of all, I can say that I love reading the Times weekly. Secondly, I'd like to say if it goes monthly, I'll kidnap the entire Tip.It crew with the help of everyone else who misses the times :boohoo: And lastly, if you must remove the times, I suppose letters would be better than nothing... Although they still aren't the Times. *grumble grumble, complain complain*

mr_moron72.png

Look at my evidence of geekdom... MWAHAHAHA!

I honestly don't think that making the Tip.It times monthly would be a very good move...

If the Editor is too busy, maybe there could be more guest authors? Most of them became very very popular.

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.