18 June 2007 - The Dragonfire Shield and Game Improvements

Uula

Those players who have completed the Dragon Slayer quest will already be able to get anti-dragonbreath shields from the Duke of Lumbridge. Oziach the Master Smith has recently found a way for members to upgrade this shield using a draconic visage - a powerful artefact from a forgotten age that is only occasionally dropped by powerful dragons. Combining the draconic visage with the anti-dragonbreath shield will result in a new type of shield: the dragonfire shield.

The dragonfire shield's power relies on storing dragonfire. The shield absorbs dragonfire just like the anti-dragonbreath shield, but every time it does so its stats become a little more powerful. The shield is also effective against the breath of skeletal wyverns (although it won't store any of it). The stored dragonfire can also be released by operating the shield, slightly reducing the shield's stats but firing a blast of dragonfire at an opponent!

On the topic of dragons, we've also updated Crandor to make it look more like the woeful place it became after Elvarg arrived. You'll also notice that the dungeon connecting Crandor to Karamja has been improved, and Elvarg's lair looks much more like a place a dragon might choose to live.

Summary

Requirements to make the dragonfire shield

Anti-dragonbreath shield

Draconic visage

Level 90 Smithing (if you don't want to pay Oziach to make it for you)

Requirements to use the dragonfire shield

Level 75 Defence

Game improvements

Ever got frustrated when you couldn't right click and quick bank with Gundai? Ever wondered why the Monks of Entrana have memory loss and search you every time? These are but two small annoyances which have been changed as part of a collection of disparate but subtle alterations to the game - all suggested by you, the players!

In the first of our 'Improvement Project' updates we've bundled together a whole host of little additions to the game that many of you have suggested. Most of these are improvements to existing features, adding new detail or extra benefits. We have identified many more in addition to these, so there will also be a steady flow of them coming out over the coming year.

In the first batch we have additions that range from useful to humorous.

First up, we've rebalanced the crossbows to make them a really appealing option for rangers. This means that your crossbow will fire faster and hit harder. We've also made grapples tradeable at every stage in their construction. It was a bit odd having them untradeable as soon as you add a bit of rope. Onyx bolt tips bought from the TzHaar are also cheaper now. With all these adjustments, we feel that the crossbow is a really viable choice for the discerning ranger.

We've also rejigged the combat selection so now you'll stick to the same fighting style after you log out. This means that when you log in again, you'll automatically use your preferred style - no more defending yourself by hitting someone over the head with a staff when you have plenty of runes!

We have updated the graphics for cyclopes to make them look better than ever. Stop by and visit the Ardougne Zoo and take a look at some of the less common creatures.

Players who have completed Dream Mentor will now be able to bank items without a seal of passage on Lunar Isle. They can now speak to Bird's Eye Jack, left click the booth directly in front of him or right click to use quick-bank. Previously, you were required to have your seal of passage on you before you could access the bank.

Players can now fill all available buckets in their inventory with slime from the ectofuntus temple just north of Port Phasmatys. This change removes the need for multiple clicking to fill each bucket individually.

We've been told that Gundai in the Mage Arena is not nearly as helpful as he could be, so we've added a 'quick bank' option. Similarly, the monks on Entrana have a right-click 'quick sail' option, which gives the monks the right to check you for the usual armour and weapons before you hop aboard their boat.

The dastardly aberrant spectres in the Slayer Tower will be getting less to eat now, as we've added a short warning to the [bleep]y chain that leads to their lair. Hopefully this will save inexperienced adventurers from getting a painfully bad smell assaulting their senses (not to mention their limbs).

The glassblowing interface wasn't pretty enough, and also a bit awkward to use, so we've upgraded it to make it simpler to turn molten glass into useful vials and the like.

As impressively mighty as the skeletal wyverns are, we felt their drops didn't really reflect the challenge, so they now drop some more desirable loot.

Gloves of silence (made from the stealthy dark kebbit's fur) can now be inspected to see how they're going after your pickpocketing fingers have been caught a few times. You can also grab some more fur to repair damaged ones, saving you a trip to the fancy dress shop.

For the fashion-conscious among you, Patchy on Mos Le'Harmless has been given a better set of tools, so he'll now combine a black cavalier hat with a highwayman mask, and a black beret with a mime mask. How dashing!

Finally, everyone's favourite pet, a rock, has been made even more exciting! Now you can play fetch, tell it to stay, or even wield it.

We've also identified a number of bugs, which are now fixed. These include:

* The infinity hat has been adjusted due to an issue with players' hairstyles. Certain hair would occasionally appear through the hat, which looked a bit strange.

* Wizard boots have been relocated in the treasure trails chest of your costume room. Up to now, players could store these in the level 1 clue scroll section; however they are obtained from level 2 clue scrolls.

* The rune helm painted with Varrock colours has had its looks adjusted. This is to help differentiate between the gilded full helm and itself. The new looks are now more befitting to such an item.

* A bug was fixed to allow anyone who's been lucky enough to find and catch implings to open the jars containing captured implings around the Catherby area.

There are plenty more wee additions coming up for the future, all of which are designed to make your gaming experience easier, more enjoyable or just entertaining.

From http://www.runescape.com

Uula.png

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm.. They give +7 str bonus :-k

Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)

Dagannoth kings drops: 73

Barrows item count: 51

GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)

Whips: 4

Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

Hmm the new Dragonfire Shield looks interesting. I daresay it'll be an hour or so before details on it emerge, but I'm certainly curious.

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

Has anyone got this 'visage' yet?

Lol it is a rare drop from dragons... I wonder if it is tradeable.. :-k

Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.

For those of you who are new around here, a bit of history:

The Dragonfire Shield was what the Anti Dragon shield was called originally, but

this led people to sell tons of them to unsuspecting newbs who were lured in by the fact that the

name was so cool. By changing it to the Anti Dragon Shield, they made it clear that this shield

was only effective against dragons. But now they've added a brand new shield more worthy

of such a great name. :)

My greatest ambition is to kill every member of the human race.

crackersapparentlyiu8.png

However I am a realist and therefore know that I probably wont be able to.

idiotacyoa5.png

Draconic visage - a rare drop from dragons. I'm going to hunt some dragons lol, that thing is ownage. We need to know how much it cost for Oziach to make this shield because I don't want 90+ smithingers abusing the price.

Note: This shield was completely out of the blue! It was not mentioned in BTS. And it freakin' owns, too! +75 defence bonus with +7 strength? Can you say dragons-are-freakin'-owned-now?

Edit: I'm exactly 75 defence! \' 8-) :twisted: :twisted:

hatewn1.png

Lol, i bet all dragon places are pretty crowded in a minute or two :thumbsup:

Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)

Dagannoth kings drops: 73

Barrows item count: 51

GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)

Whips: 4

Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

time to smith addy bolts and kill metal dragons... no neeed hunter xbow anymore =p

Hey Nicrune007 , Whats Your Username?

twss.jpg

99 Ranged on 2/6/07 99 Hit Points on 9/5/08 99 Defense on 26/4/08 99 Attack on 14/2/09 99 Strength on 25/2/09 99 Slayer on 13/9/09\:D/

Great, yet another blow to slayers... the metal dragons are going to be far too busy now... yet another task I'm going to have to skip now :evil:

Lol this might make me NOT wana burthorpe metal drags. :D

craftingcapeqw4.gif99 Crafting acheived 31/01/08

strcapemq9.gif99 Strength acheived 17/12/07

Hey but why everybody forget fifty charges of dragon flames and big power unleash!!!!!!And will it work against other players???

sig3ax9.png

98% Of teenagers surround their minds with rap music, if you're part of the 2% that stayed with rock, put this in your signature, ROCK IS BETTER!

Great, yet another blow to slayers... the metal dragons are going to be far too busy now... yet another task I'm going to have to skip now :evil:

Or you could still do them and mock the inexperienced idiots who think they can kill a metal dragon and pick up the loot they drop :D. It'll die down soon enough. But it's true that slayers are getting a lot of attention lately. A good thing, no?

The Dragonfire Shield

75 Defence

Stab +0

Slash +0

Crush +0

Magic - 10

Range - 5

Stab + 70

Slash + 75

Crush + 72

Magic + 10

Range + 72

Strength + 7

Prayer + 0

Compare it to the dragon square shield...

60 Defence

Stab +0

Slash +0

Crush +0

Magic - 6

Range - 2

Stab + 50

Slash + 52

Crush + 48

Magic + 0

Range + 50

Strength + 0

Prayer + 0

AND THE THIRD AGE KITESHIELD

65 Defence

Stab +0

Slash +0

Crush +0

Magic - 10

Range - 4

Stab + 63

Slash + 65

Crush + 61

Magic - 3

Range + 63

Strength + 0

Prayer + 0

And now the crystal shield?

70 Defence

Stab +0

Slash +0

Crush +0

Magic - 10

Range - 10

Stab + 51

Slash + 54

Crush + 53

Magic + 0

Range + 80

Strength + 0

Prayer + 0

Meet the best shield in the game ladies and gentleman.

Dark_Jab.png