PayPal CEO joins Jagex Ltd

DragnFly

Jagex appoints PayPal CEO to accelerate international growth

New CEO Geoff Iddison will drive the continued growth of RuneScape and bring new online games to market

UK, Cambridge, 23rd October, 2007 ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Jagex Ltd, the online games developer, announced that Geoff Iddison, the former European CEO of PayPal, has joined the company as CEO. Iddison has extensive experience in leading international e-commerce-based businesses.

Iddison takes over from Constant Tedder, who will remain on the board of Directors. Iddison held the position of CEO of eBay-owned payments business PayPal Europe Ltd from August 2003, having originally led the first expansion of PayPal from its base in California. Geoff joined eBay in 2000 from Christies Inc. where he held the role of COO.

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅI am very excited about joining Jagex. The company has built an amazing international playing community through the RuneScape game. The technology used to distribute the game and the incredible depth offered to anyone playing RuneScape makes Jagex a very different gaming company,ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, interesting.... How do you think this will impact the game? Do you think he will make wise decisions from the outsiders point of view by listening to the players, or continue on with Jagex' tradition of kind of.....ignoring them?

asigthegodofsoupzz0.gif

The spelling and grammar of that email was that of an 11 year old palestinian goatboy who is speaking english for the first time
Quite simply, Facebook craps on Myspace. Then makes it eat the crap.

With a change as big as CEO in Jagex, I am abit surprised it has not yet made the news on the homepage of RuneScape.com, nor any of the major fansites as of yet.

Because the majority of the players do not even understand what a CEO is?

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

CEO will have nothing to do directly with the game

It will more be the financial side to jagex, i.d advertising etc, I doubt he will have a mod account lol

yknow what the best thing about this is,the more players tehy can bring into rs members worldwide then tehy may possibly lower the rs monthly subscription bill

learn to spell

So will we be paying by PayPal now?

That will probably be an option, but I am sure they will still have WorldPay.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

So will we be paying by PayPal now?

No that is unlikely... As he does not still work for PayPal.. I think this is exiting news for Jagex as a company and us as a community of runescape players! If you read they have many "new" project in the works. Im hoping for a download'able / buy-able on cd/dvd version and if thats the case the game will be expanded to massive proportions... Gratz to Mr Addison, May you be with us for many years to come.!

-EJD

I wonder how or whether this'll affect us, will they go more for the short term money success? But it's probably a good deal for everyone.

Off topic:

The browser-based game has attracted popularity across the globe with strong subscriber communities in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and Scandinavia

I never knew there is such a big playing community in Scandinavia, is that true?

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

A CEOÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s responsibilities: everything, especially in a startup. The CEO is responsible for the success or failure of the company. Operations, marketing, strategy, financing, creation of company culture, human resources, hiring, firing, compliance with safety regulations, sales, PR, etc.ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ã

queenvalerie.png

I never knew there is such a big playing community in Scandinavia, is that true?

That's why there are servers based in Sweden.

On topic, I'd be interested to know the relationship between the new CEO and the Gower brothers. While certainly the rationale behind appointing the CEO will be to make the company more profitable, there is the chance that this will be achieved by advocating the move away from browser-based gameplay to standalone gameplay for Runescape 3, if and when such a project is announced. Note that there's no mention of this in his quoted statement.

While this would lose one of RS's USPs, it could potentially be more profitable. Given a coherent backstory to the game (which is currently being stitched together via the ongoing release of quests and additions to the 'lores and histories' section of the Knowledge Base, it could present itself as a serious rival to the Warcrafts of this world.

I for one would be against such a move, as it would mean I couldn't play RS at work any more. But if there's more money to be made from such a project, it would make sense to diminish the influence of the game's creators before its inception, to ensure they don't try to stop it.

This is just idle speculation, of course.

"Join me next week on 'Let's Make No Freaking Sense', when I shall be waxing an owl."

- Green Wing

Barrows Drops: 1x Verac's Flail, 2x Karil's Crossbow, 1x Torag's Hammers, 1x Karil's Leatherskirt, 1x Karil's Coif

Mabye He will Put forward the idea of RS3 On PC CD Format :) ?

In my opinion that would be a terrible idea. The amazing thing about Runescape is that you can play it for free. And anybody can access. Making it into a CD format would hurt that.

Back on topic:

This can only be a good thing for Jagex but I doubt players will notice to much of a difference.

sig2yq6.png

Presto instant eggs.
i have the solution to "goblin diplomacy"...kill wartface and bentnoze.

From the tone of the of article quoted, it seems like the CEO is more interested in leveraging the tools and technology that jagex has in developing other games than simply expanding runescape. Let's hope it's just reporter jargon and not a sign of jagex splitting its resources.

All I learned in life, I learned on Tip.it

I don't think this is going to affect the game, maybe on the long term but surely not in short period of time if you ask me.

Maybe he wants Jagex do be a bit more financial directed. and make more profit, so we should have to work a little harder for our memberships. :-k

coenvg.png

Master of Firemaking since 10-11-2007 Yes, I QUIT! =]

Master of Woodcutting since Christmas 2007

Completed all quests - Completed all achievement diaries.

We don't know anything about him, so he's kinda a blank canvas as of yet. However, I would like say that as long as he makes a positive effort in making Runescape better for all of us, I say welcome aboard. :D

~ W ~

sigzi.png