Runescape Community - a Self made problem?

Sy_Accursed

After reading the like 1000th thread on what is the cause of the runescape community being the way it is. I have come to this conclusion:

The Runescape community is the way it is because everyone is trying to blame everybody else for it.

eg:

High level blames noobs.

Noob thinks high levels are up themselves and then decides to blame pkers because they killed them.

Pkers think noobs are idiots and then decides to blame skillers because they dont do combat

Skiller think pkers are blood lusting idiots and get annoyed at high levels stealing thier spots so blame them.

The answer to half the communities problem is we all need to stop blaming each other for it and take responsibilty to be nicer instead of placing blame.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

The Runescape community is the way it is because everyone is trying to blame everybody else for it.

Runescape is Jagex's game. Jagex is ultimately responsible for the state of the community, based on how they write, market and manage the game. In general, when you create a product that appeals to children and teenagers, and let them interact anonymously, you get immaturity and conflict.

If the community is unsatisfactory to mature, reasonable players, it's because Jagex's priority is not to create a mature, reasonable community. Jagex's goal is to expand membership as fast as possible to make more and more and more money.

It's really that simple.

~q

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

it's the same as real life communities as well as online communities. There is always someone that someone else doesn't like, or a group of people another group of people doesn't like and there are always rifts. You will never close these rifts because it is not in human nature to be satisfied with everything. There's no need trying to fix it 'cause it won't stay fixed. Just stick at it and play your own game.

Sig.jpg

Yeah, youre right - it's all our faults.

Solution? Grab a pet rock and start running, people always feel better after watching that.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I know you cant make a community perfect and that its not 100% solidly down to this.

But this seems to play a big part.

95% of threads about the community problem and 85% of the people you ask about it in game all blame a certain user group for it. Rather than seeing that obviously its a collective issue.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

of course it is our fault. We just argue, call each other noob and want to be better than the next person.

Nothing is absolutely perfect however what do you expect when you aim a free computer game at little children?

Alex_Ewan 1.png

Goals achieved: lvl 99 Cooking, Fishing and Fletching.

Surrey CC and Liverpool FC fan for life!

Pkers think noobs are idiots and then decides to blame skillers because they dont do combat

Ooops! That's me :-#

In a community of 1 mil+, there's gonna be some bad apples no matter what you do. You just gotta deal with it cause its not gonna get any better. Sad

There are a hell of alot more players than that me thinks, unless we're just talking about p2p o_O. And there seem to be a large number of "bad apples". More mods is what I'd do - enough so there is one player mod for 50 players. Of course this would be near impossible to manage and would require more staffing :S

The answer is we all just gotta start playing the game, making friends and minding our own business.

+1

also p mods have been protested against... more of them probably would start riots or uprisings (as if these acutally accomplish anything, i am unsure). there are good aspects of having p mods, but there are also bad aspects. too many p mods could mean giving a level of power to a player who is not worthy of having it.

Scrd_Silence.png

After reading the like 1000th thread on what is the cause of the runescape community being the way it is. I have come to this conclusion:

eg:

High level blames noobs.

Noob thinks high levels are up themselves and then decides to blame pkers because they killed them.

Skiller think pkers are blood lusting idiots and get annoyed at high levels stealing thier spots so blame them.

The answer to half the communities problem is we all need to stop blaming each other for it and take responsibilty to be nicer instead of placing blame.

Yep. I don't think less of lower leveled players or higher leveled players, I get along with both just fine. Many people should start taking responsiblity as you said.

~ HYT Chat Rules (Click Here): Read before entering the chat. ~

dztf80.jpg

| Former Clan Chronicle Editor | Former Clan Improvement Member| Former TET Member |

I think that most of the problems stem from a player's desire to be "better" and "cooler" than the other. They feel that they must degrade or flame the other for something, be it low level, their financial situation, their age, their grammar, basically anything, as long as it makes them feel better about themselves. I wouldn't necessarily call it 'hating' the noobs or 'hating' the little kids; it's just more of an action that some people do without even thinking to mentally compensate.

In turn, this causes those being degraded to become angry, and then the real battle begins.

lalalasig2.png

Runescape is Jagex's game. Jagex is ultimately responsible for the state of the community, based on how they write, market and manage the game. In general, when you create a product that appeals to children and teenagers, and let them interact anonymously, you get immaturity and conflict.

If the community is unsatisfactory to mature, reasonable players, it's because Jagex's priority is not to create a mature, reasonable community. Jagex's goal is to expand membership as fast as possible to make more and more and more money.

It's really that simple.

~q

That is a load of smelling bull.

Calling it Jagex' fault that some parents raised some bratty kids?

Runescape is Jagex's game. Jagex is ultimately responsible for the state of the community, based on how they write, market and manage the game. In general, when you create a product that appeals to children and teenagers, and let them interact anonymously, you get immaturity and conflict....

~q

now its the game content...

isn't that the same content you so devoutly analyze in your truthscape site?

Exactly, although most of others proably won't better themselves, it's worth to try for every individual to blame others less.

For example I manage very well without blaming anyone (Only ones who blame others and only in my mind).

Good quality about chidren is that cruelty against others is not fully developed in them as they have spent too few time in "real world", so it's very hard to belive that those blamers are mostly chidren. Blaming others (also chidren) is also sign of immaturity.