Chinese Trojan on Maxtor HDD hunts online games pass

cappa_norra

Did read an article in the Channel Register today conserning viruses on new blank external Maxtor Hdd. Those Hdd`s from a unnamed chinese subcontractor had by magic ( what else ? they wont say sure we did it ) been infested by a virus. More correct the virus called AutoRun-AH a trojaner that according to Channel Register is designed to do 2 things. 1 Disable the antivirus detection of it, and 2 collecting online game password.

AutoRun-AH is a Trojan that searches for passwords to online games and sends them to a server located in China. It also disables anti-virus software.

Possibility of those storage boxes still in shops is slim , also it seems like most of them ended up in Taiwan. That is not what i fear most. But will more and more chinese employers missuse their possibility of infecting un used storage systems. (I do say chinese only because most computer hardware happens to be made there due to low cost, not because i say that chinese people is more likely to do that ). Do we only se the start of some few ppls attempt to get their hand on virtual goods or is this case just execptional. Sure there have been more and more reports of chinese hackers lately. But most of those seems to be somewhat official.

Feel free to comment

anyway the article is http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/11/12/maxtor_infected_hdd_updated/

cappa_norra.png

Valuable drops ??? Ohhhh yes, let me see cabbage

rswstatement.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait.. so you're saying this new program can keep guessing passwords until it finds the right one, then sends it to a certain person?

Good lord! when will the chinese give up?

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Did read an article in the Channel Register today conserning viruses on new blank external Maxtor Hdd. Those Hdd`s from a unnamed chinese subcontractor had by magic ( what else ? they wont say sure we did it ) been infested by a virus. More correct the virus called AutoRun-AH a trojaner that according to Channel Register is designed to do 2 things. 1 Disable the antivirus detection of it, and 2 collecting online game password.

AutoRun-AH is a Trojan that searches for passwords to online games and sends them to a server located in China. It also disables anti-virus software.

Possibility of those storage boxes still in shops is slim , also it seems like most of them ended up in Taiwan. That is not what i fear most. But will more and more chinese employers missuse their possibility of infecting un used storage systems. (I do say chinese only because most computer hardware happens to be made there due to low cost, not because i say that chinese people is more likely to do that ). Do we only se the start of some few ppls attempt to get their hand on virtual goods or is this case just execptional. Sure there have been more and more reports of chinese hackers lately. But most of those seems to be somewhat official.

Feel free to comment

anyway the article is http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/11/12/maxtor_infected_hdd_updated/

NUKE CHINA!!! :uhh:

Srsly, first they try to poison our kids and now they try to steal our st00fs. :-w

td2sig.jpg

Wait.. so you're saying this new program can keep guessing passwords until it finds the right one, then sends it to a certain person?

That's the basic idea of bruteforcing, nothing new on that :P

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

The Chinese strike again... :wall:

That's bad, hopefully nothing I get is infected :shock:

dont buy stuff made in china... helps our economy too by reducing the need to outsource

ot: this could be a problem in the future as the online gaming industry gets bigger, hopefully rs won't be affected by recent events

Scrd_Silence.png

On the version I heard, it were a few Seagates, the trojan only steals password for chinese games and World of Warcraft

Indeed, the list:

WSGame

91.com

QQ

Woool

rxjh.17game.com

TianLongBaBu

AskTao

Perfect World (Wanmei Shijie)

World of Warcraft

best-guide-ever.jpg

Dang, my luck my dad will be useing the computer and will get that trojan...and ill get hacked again :cry: i got to run a virus scan when i get home.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

I got 4 trojans once...though I apparently downloaded a corrupt program (didn't know it was corrupt, but still not my fault). Luckily, I was virus scanning at the moment and I found out there was 4 trojans in there....I deleted em, though I'm not sure if it can find on-site trojans o_o.

That's the basic idea of bruteforcing, nothing new on that :P

To efficiently bruteforce runescape passwords you would need 1000s of ip addresses.

To efficiently bruteforce runescape passwords you would need 1000s of ip addresses.

Basically yes, in theory not. Also like said earlier, that virus isn't made to go with RS, at least not yet.

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

I'm a little bit disgusted by this thread . How can some of you guys make statements like ... bomb china ... and china have done it again ... are you guys thick as well as ignorant.

Just because 1 chinese company does something wrong, that doesn't mean the whole of china is responisble. If that was the case then america would have to be destroyed numerous times a day ... just take a look at the dodgy dealings that companies in other major countries like america pull against other countries on a daily basis ... but this isn't the fault of america as a whole ... the blame lies with the individual companies.

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel ...

Or is it just the front of an approaching train!

But even if this is the case, I am not at ALL surprised that the Chinese have pulled off something like this. If they find a way to take advantage, they probably will do it. This is the state of the Chinese Society at the moment.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

They are more then likely infected at boot level which means you can't get rid of them the normal way (a virus scan). You would have to wipe the hard drive to remove it.

Anyway there not much to worry about without you live in Taiwan or tend to buy PC's direct from China.

Its still fairly worrying though, if the Chinese can do it what's stopping the rest of the world monitoring what we do on our PC's :ohnoes: :uhh: :ohnoes:

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

They are more then likely infected at boot level which means you can't get rid of them the normal way (a virus scan). You would have to wipe the hard drive to remove it.

Anyway there not much to worry about without you live in Taiwan or tend to buy PC's direct from China.

Its still fairly worrying though, if the Chinese can do it what's stopping the rest of the world monitoring what we do on our PC's :ohnoes: :uhh: :ohnoes:

I just removed some tracking software that was installed onto my computer by the CIA :shock:

Wallettheif.png

lordsalamence.png

jmccainwm3.jpg

The game.

Little known fact - MS Vista has inbuilt monitoring facilities in it so that, if they wish, MS can monitor what we do on our PCs. :-$

Little known fact - MS Vista has inbuilt monitoring facilities in it so that, if they wish, MS can monitor what we do on our PCs. :-$

I found those and killed them when I got my new computer.

Wallettheif.png

lordsalamence.png

jmccainwm3.jpg

The game.

Wow China not doing good at the moment are they? First with all the children toys and their use of alot of lead in the paint. All this outsourcing is making mad since our economy is crap. Bush not doing anything. Govenor Granholm (Michigan) doing nothing.

Now china and their little trojan? I barley download stuff now and days.