"Runescape : an education that kids don't need?"

supanova

Edit: I mistook someone here for accurately citing the 13+ rule, which means some of my arguments were considerably weakened. Currently, it reads:

]If you are under 13 years old, you must not create an account. We don't knowingly permit anyone under 13 to use this website. Nor do we knowingly collect any personally identifiable information from preteens. Internet safety experts have advised that preteens do not fully appreciate the risk of providing too much personal information online or communicating with strangers they encounter online. And the game difficulty level is for teenagers and older.

While we appreciate that many preteens would want to use our websites, we urge parents to instruct their children not to lie about their age so as to be able to use our websites before they are old enough. Instead, we recommend that parents set up an account and play together with their preteens who are otherwise too young to play the Game. Many parents have reported that playing the Game as a family is fun and rewarding. Then when your children are 13 they will be ready for their own account.

Note the Bold I added in Jagex terms&conditions : This implies, if not out-and-out declares to the world that the parent can create an avatar for the under-13 child, and as long as the parent sits at the side of, and guides the child through its online session, the under-13 child can use the site. If this is not actively encouraging children to play, I don't know what is :-k

BUT: Yes, you may claim that the parent is responsible for ensuring this is followed, but as any adult has so many demands on his/her time this may be hard, if not impossible, to accomplish in 100% of cases. Jagex certainly can't monitor who's sat at any computer, so this paper-tiger of a rule is merely a legal "get-out-of-jail-free" card to cover their own backsides with regards COPPA, and advertising.

Take a quick look at miniclip where Jagex advertise. You're seriously telling me that kids as young as 5 or 6 won't take one look and immediately like the cartoony look of it? Won't try any of the games there? Won't find Runescape there?

Of those who say nothing, few are silent -=Thomas Neil =-

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the article queltar wrote i disagree with but it was a thoughtful article. it's not jagex's fault though, i'll elaborate on that...

i want to make a few points. hmm what's wrong with runescape? is it the young children that are playing a video game? no. or is it the mean spirited hurtful callous jerks in the game that are so vile? yeah. so, should we ban the children or the jerks? you choose the children playing a game, i say more people in the community should condemn the behaviour of the jerks, not the game playing of children, which is like bees to honey.

i mean really. who plays video games? answer: kids do. how complicated is that? yes jagex is doing what it can but the community needs to step up and the young children playing are not the vile and despicable. it is the older kids that bully and decieve, are these young bullys beyond help, no, they're still young and need a better example; their behaviour should be condemned for what it is though but the community should definately be critical of the cause of the problem vile and despicable behaviour and not criticise those that are a victim of that. makes no sense to ignore the bad behaviour and instead say that the game, which is fun, should be denied to those that are younger because of that. it's like saying the seedy people hanging out at the movie theater is justification for not going to see a movie.

and that's where parenting comes in. if a young child works hard at earning some stuff and someone decieves them that could be very hurtful and traumatizing to some degree and it's the parent's role to edify and encourage not misplace blame or be critical and be supportive and a emotional support and redirect and cheer up etc.

and those people that criticise miniclip players and younger players are themselves extremely immature and are to quick to sterotype and generalise people and that is a problem and those people need to focus more on themselves than what other people are doing .

[hide=-this is my signature- guides i've written]full list is at the top of <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754">viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754</a><!-- l -->[/hide]

First of all, endless amount of games far worse than RuneScape is advertised despite being unsuitable for children and just as easily accessible and appealing as RuneScape.

Note the Bold I added in Jagex terms&conditions : This implies, if not out-and-out declares to the world that the parent can create an avatar for the under-13 child, and as long as the parent sits at the side of, and guides the child through its online session, the under-13 child can use the site. If this is not actively encouraging children to play, I don't know what is

What's so bad about RuneScape if the parent always sits at the child's side and actively monitors him/her? When the adult doesn't have time anymore, any adult should be able to block sites like RuneScape well enough to outwit their 5-6 year old if they really wanted to.

1. You mention parents "buying GTA for their kids and then complaining". Well here there is nothing to buy. This alone is a HUGE factor in kids playing the game. I consider that indisputable.

Theres plenty to buy, apart from the obvious requirement of a PC, an internet connection of some semblance is required and I can't think of a ISP that will enter into a contract with a minor and for good reason.

2. They have created a game that is ridiculously easy to access and play nearly anywhere, which is not the case with most other games. Even if I don't want my kid playing it at home, he can play it almost anywhere else.

2 a) 'Ease of access'.

Of course there going to make the game easy to access, its their business! How on earth are they going to make it a viable, profitable business if it cant be accessed by members of the public.

2 B) 'Even if I don't want my kid playing it at home'.

That comment falls more in the realm of a 'child-parent' respect debate, rather than any nebulous responsibility you wish to conjure upon Jagex.

3. Jagex has done NOTHING to block access to the game or to educate librarians or others that the game should not be used by children. It is easy to get onto Runescape almost anywhere.

Can you 'shoulder up' as to why Jagex has some 'duty of care' to 'educate librarians or others' that the game should not be used by children?

Do you have a grudge against teenagers playing a game, your starting to come across as a killjoy now. Is this intentional?

4. Jagex make the game LOOK child-friendly and appealing to kids.

Really? Thats your opinion, most of the 'kids' in my family find the graphics almost laughable in comparison to the 'eye candy' of games with superior resolution and detail and in that I'm not necessarily referring to anything that could be interpreted as having 'mature' content.

5. They market the game directly to kids, in schools. Parents cannot be there to watch what happens in school all day.

Cite source, preferably a news feature that confirms that Jagex is directly targeting schools for fodder for there game, otherwise, it didn't happen.

6. They provide virtually NO tools for parents who want to monitor their kids' activity. I know, because I am one, and I have corresponded with other parents who want to keep track of how and when their kids play but cannot.

Oh this is so wrong I don't know where to start.

Again its presumably back to Jagex to monitor what your child is doing whilst on the internet. I'd love to see that try and stand up in a UK Court of Law.

If you choose to allow your child to have unrestricted access to the internet, then more fool you. If your child doesn't respect your parental authority sufficiently to respect your judgment on the matter, surely thats something for you to address by what ever means your deem fit?

With regards to 'Parental Control' there are many solutions to this available on the Internet, many free of charge. I feel that a person that is able to design, build and host there own website would already be aware of this.

I'm afraid that RuneScape is becoming the "Joe Camel" of computer games.

Thats your opinion and I agree, your entitled to your view, if the experience isn't fun that Jagex marketed there product for, I guess the option of quitting the game might be viable option for you.

Real life cant be much fun if you feel compelled to play a game that clearly you hold in such a poor light.

If your really *that* concerned about the welfare of your own children that much, could I also be as bold to suggest that cancel any agreement you have with your ISP, sell any consoles, Personal Computers, Televisions, Handheld gaming devices, DVD players, CD Players (have you heard some of the lyrics in music these days? shocking!) and replace them with a harmless, good old fashioned game of cup'n'ball?

Pat-cup-n-ball.jpg

In the meantime the rest of us that play this game, largely for the harmless fun in online gratuitous fantasy indulging but also for a largely positive social experience can play for free or if we're lucky/able to pay Jagex five bucks a month for access to the members content.

I'm Giant Torti and this is, my 2 cents. Peace! :thumbsup:

"Boy, sure would be nice to have some grenades, don't you think you think?"

1840554111_a0023e3d17.jpg

Second, if Jagex only wants those over 13 to create accounts, then why do they market the game to elementary school students?

I have to admit I have not read your article, just the quoted bits in this thread and the opinions of the posters.

In regards to your above statement, I do feel Jagex is responsible for target marketing here.

At my children's primary school they get Scholistic book orders and one of the books on the list was for the Official Runescape Beginners guide.

I have two children 9 and 6 and there is no way I would let them play Runescape before they are 13. As an adult player I know what goes on in the game.

A lot of my reasoning behind this is because Runescape is a online game where they interact with other human beings. Yes they can have chat off, but that can easily be switched on. And a lot about playing a MMPORPG is about the interaction with other players to get the full benefits out of the game.

For now they just stick to playing xbox games suitable for their age.

My two actively watch myself and my partner playing our games, to them it is like watching a movie, except mummy is the character fighting the dragons.

At the start of this year a friend's son started playing Runescape, he was 8 and had already played WOW. He got in contact with us in game and constantly nagged for stuff, asked how to make money, what to do. I don't mind helping. I do mind being nagged at. We had words with his parents and they banned him from playing till he is older. They also explained to him why.

The logic of the whole game was a little bit too beyond him. He wanted what he wanted now and couldn't work for it.

member=Iwik.pngmember=Pearls.png

"In the real world as in dreams, nothing is quite what it seems" - The Book of Counted Sorrows

I have to admit I have not read your article, just the quoted bits in this thread and the opinions of the posters.

You should read it, it wouldn't take all that long and it'd help a lot more than just small bits of it.

It's a good idea that you keep them away from it when they're so young, I've seen people that age playing it and it really isn't anything positive.

Anyway this is an old article, I still agree with it but I think that we are forgetting that the popular children's book publisher Scholastic also publishes novels such as Harry Potter which is read by people of all ages. Still I have heard of this book and it's targeted at a younger audience so it's a double-edged sword.

Runescape IS educational, its helped me out many times in school. The cheating scamming etc all happen in real life so whats wrong about learning to protect yourself from it when your young

stupid forums lost my dragon count , well atleast i know i got a d chain from a dusty!

99 Fletch, Late 06

99 Mage, late 07

99 Strength, 29th June 08

99 Hitpoints, 21st August 08

130/138 cmb

sooo close

Ive learned a lot from runescape actually, from what weapons are called and how to invest money. I belive runescape can help, if you play by the rules.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Ive learned a lot from runescape actually, from what weapons are called and how to invest money. I believe runescape can help, if you play by the rules.

See, theres hope for the next generation after all. :thumbsup:

Good luck to you in your gaming and more importantly, real life. :)

"Boy, sure would be nice to have some grenades, don't you think you think?"

1840554111_a0023e3d17.jpg

oh noes my little angel will get all uninocent, seriously stupid overprotective parents

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE CUSTARD

do you know where i hear the most swearing? guess, yes thats right the school playground

thats covered swearing now lets cover the others

its not like runescape shed scamming luring bsing etc in a good light is it?

to the contrary it will teach kids that it is bad and they wills ee what it does to them and they wont do it themself (best case senario :thumbsup: )

[hide]

Now I know that half the people on this forum don't like to read everything fully before posting the first thing that pops into their fairly small minds, that seems to fall into 1 of 2 categories :

"I am so much better than you ever can be so your points are invalid and I will continuously shout my spurious arguements until you leave"

or

"Jagex is so ÃÆÃâÃâ¦Ã¢â¬Åberly good that people who complain obviously haven't played the game and I will continuously shout my spurious arguements until you leave".

So with that in mind, I'll try to explain simply and slowly.

now, correct me if i'm wrong, but RuneScape has an age restriction of 13+. why the heck are kids as young as 5 playing?!

This age restriction is very recent. I started in October of 2005 when there was no such rule. Jagex made this rule to comply with some American law (that IIRC, was repealed even more recently) so they could advertise the game and allow servers to host it in the US. It's called "COPPA" or Child Online Privacy Protection Act. It was fairly draconian in penalties for companies that failed to meet it's stringent conditions about gathering data from their player base of children.

I know quite a few families that play Runescape, and yes, children too. The youngest player I know of, personally, is aged 6. He's the son of an Australian friend of mine, and she guides his activities in this game. There's also the 11 year old girl I've known since just after I signed up. (Tell the truth, I had thought her to be at least college age because of her manner of speech and general maturity in game).

Jagex rules at signing up now state a person under the age of 13 can not create a new avatar. This does not, (at least Jagex don't enforce it), affect avatars created BEFORE this COPPA act compliance, so the problem is not that people are now violating a game rule, but that Jagex either will not or can not apply this rule retroactively.

I also know personally, that children as young as 3 can use computers very successfully.

They may not play games as complex as Runescape, but they are capable of playing games suitable for their age. With a responsible adult at their side to guide their activities, children can safely play some online games too.

Seems like this editor took one extreme and ran with it.

Seriously, he needs to learn to look on the bright side.

Jagex can't be held responsible for kids that get to their site somehow. That's the parent's responsibility. Kinda wish people would stop pinning it on Jagex. It isn't like they can install a filter on everyone's computer...

I'm sorry? Jagex aren't responsible for advertising to children? Jagex don't continuously "dumb down" the game content to cater to children, thereby making it more appealing to them?

Yes, parents should be monitoring their children's internet activities, and in an ideal world, all parents would. In an ideal world there would be no wars, rape, murder, burglary, drugs, etc. The world is not "Black and white" as some people would like to think. There are whole shades of grey out there, and This COPPA "compliance" by Jagex is a prime example.

I'm the author of that article (and another in the same series.)

Let me just post that again for those who didn't bother reading this the first time :

I'm the author of that article (and another in the same series.)

Yes, the authour of that nearly 1 year old article admits here, on Tipit Forums, that he did indeed write that article.

Looks like some Wikidiot needs to do their research...

This is all I have to say tbh:

!Attention Parents!:If you don't like the game, don't let your kids play(Illegally)!

Kinda sad, isn't it? Parents these days don't want to take responsibility; it's easier to blame the favorite demons of all the world's 'Committees of Concerned Mothers/Fathers', Rock and video games...

HELLO!!?? See above points.

It's not that a lot of these children under 13 are playing illegally, they signed up BEFORE Jagex decided they wanted to comply with this american COPPA law so they could advertise in the US for more children to sign up. New avatars can be created by children under 13 now ONLY with their parents compliance, and permission. I bet I know quite a few that don't get either, but as long as Jagex appear to be complying with the law, and the $5 is paid, do you seriously think they're going to overturn EVERY little rock to see what's underneath??:wall:

5 year olds don't have to brain capacity to properly play MMORPGS.

They don't have the ability to set goals, they can't do quests, etc. I don't know where they got that statistic.

Hmm? Would the esteemed gentleperson care to retract that statement before being shown to the world as a completely ignorant (and I'm using the word in it's proper meaning) person? I know personally, children of 4 that set goals, work towards them, reach them, then make new goals. Day-in, day-out. Not just short-term goals for 1 day, but months long goals.

These children can, and do, play games, including MMORPGs. The more complex tasks in games will require adult supervision and help, but are you seriously saying that they can't learn from observation, and repetition?? :shame:

Well, it DOES appear to be from wiki, so chances are the statistics were invented by some moron, but by what I've seen ingame, the bit about 5 year olds playing rs might not be too far from the truth..

Yet another ... person... either UNABLE to read, or UNWILLING to read. The first poster states he was surfing wiki for Runescape yes, but did you actually read the link he supplied (not clicked it, just read the address)??

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2007/03/26/runescape_exposed/

That's "Tomsgames.com", not Wiki. And we have the authour of the articles here in this very thread, and from what I've seen from the postings here, he's not the moron.... #-o

RuneScape can be as educational as you can make it. The age limit is 13 but children under 13 afre allowed to play with guardians permission.

The internet is a place where you can express opinions and RuneScape is a meduim which you can use that power. People abuse this because there are no physical damaging consequences therefore you get scammers which makes learning on RuneScape tougher but on the other hand it could be a steep learning curve for kids.

Good article but as a player i think that RuneScape has taught me many things.

Sir, I salute you on your post =D>

No physical damage : on the surface, yes....but it goes further than that. People who have negative experiences tend to react in 1 of several ways. There's "oh well, it's only a game" or "I'm gonna [swear] kill you, you [swear]". There's also those that take it even more seriously. Needless to say I won't discuss that aspect on here.

The responsibility lies squarely on the shoulders of the parents. Don't like the fact that your kids are your responsibility... that's easy, keep your zipper done up.

A tobacco company could 'advertise to children' - it's still my responsibility to my children to monitor the television they watch, and - should they see an advertisement for something I disapprove of, educate them as to why its not a good idea.

I'm not really sure how you think a tobacco company could "make it possible" to smoke in schools. Whether or not smoking is allowed in a school or not should be an issue for the school... last time I checked, the tobacco companies didn't own any schools, but if they did, and they allowed smoking in them, then it's still my right and responsibility as a parent to find out about the smoking policy of a school before I decide whether or not to send my children there.

Likewise with the books and free cigarettes, what my children obtain is my responsibility to filter - not the tobacco companies, not the government, not the community. Any prospective parent who feel that anyone but themselves should bear any responsibility for the upbringing of their children other than themselves and their partner needs to make an appointment with a vasectomy clinic right away.

- Father of two very happy, well adjusted children who enjoy sitting on dad's knee watching him carve up a dragon or two before bedtime.

That's an ... interesting ... point of view you've got there. :-k Quite naÃÆÃâÃâïve and ever so faintly disturbing at an obsessive level...

You seriously expect people to monitor their children 24/7?? Seems we're back to that ideal world again. :wall: There's only so much a parent can do for their children : yes, we can teach them right and wrong, and morals, but there comes a point where you have to let go, let them stand on their own two feet, let them learn things for themselves. Kids lie as soon as they learn there's a difference between "me" and "you" (for the unknowledgeable, that's approximately 2-3 years old :shock:. I did it myself : I told my parents I was going to one friend's house when in fact I went to another's, much further away. Do I regret it now? Yes, I lied to those who love me, care for me. If anything had happened to me, they wouldn't have known until that knock on the door. The world doesn't always deal in absolutes as you seem to think, there's lots of room to manouevre between "Black" and "White". And therein lies the rub.

If your so worried over the harmful effects of Runescape, please leave us in peace. Also do research before making up false statistics.

Do you have proof he made up those statistics? Because that claim would be libellous if you don't ;)

Someone please introduce me to the absolute moron who wrote the review.

I'd like to point out a few things to them. Whoever wrote this obviously didn't play enough.

Forgetting this game is 13+, forgetting that most 5 year olds cant type or read well, and not bothering to play enough to realize that, if there are any 5 year olds at all in the game, there's an incredibly low amount of them.

Warren211, I'd like you to meet Qeltar. Qeltar, this is Waren211, something of an idiot.

Hello Warren211, Please, please, please engage your brain before opening your mouth. You won't look so completely silly then :wall:

As I've said above, I know quite a few young children, maybe not as young as 5, that play online. Their spelling and grammar makes quite a few people on these, and other forums, look completely [developmentally delayed]. Also as stated above, by myself and a couple of others, this 13+ rule by Jagex is a recent innovation, to comply with the American COPPA law. Players before this was enacted who are STILL under the age of 13, remain unnaffected. That means that they are still able to play the game they created their avatar on several years ago.

its a book thats on sale in a book catalouge mate, and forgive me if im wrong, but the ages indicate the recommended age to read the book, not the age to play the game and calling teenagers going through puberty "hornball" is quite disturbing, you yourself must have gone through puberty, so wats with the sterotyped comment, or you havnt experianced puberty yet, which is why ur such a tightarse

Wow, Please refer to my opening comments to the last quote. And enact them 15 times.

Insulting? yes, you are. Trolling, most probably. Even if, as you say, the ages on the OFFICIAL RUNESCAPE MANUAL, marketed to children's schools, are reading ages for the book, do you seriously expect kids that young to NOT pester their parents relentlessly to be able to play "the cool game of this book"??

As for the rest of your comments, I don't feed trolls, so I'll refrain here too :wink:

He is completely biased and shows no good points, and o idea of what he's talking about.

His Caption to the party room is something like

'players kill each other in the wilderness to gain riches'

Umm did you actually read it? He's not biased to the extent you assume [yeah, you're making an [wagon] out of YOU] here. He likes the game, he plays the game, he's just worried that Jagex aren't doing all in their power to ensure the rules THEY made are followed, even down to the

absolute howler earlier this year that they PUBLICLY ENDORSED rule breaking such as luring and scamming. His own website, Truthscape, highlights a lot of problems, and in quite a few cases, within days of his writing about them, Jagex "suddenly" fix the problem. Coincidence?

maybe....but that's an awful lot of coincidence for my tastes.

The only quote you can pull off the whole article is that "the caption doesn't match the picture"???

NEWSFLASH : They aren't meant to. Even my 6year old neice saw that one :wall:

In summary, the article is written by someone who HAS played the game for years, knows what he's talking about, yet has to endure the attentions of idiots, trolls and worse for trying to bring people's attentions to SERIOUS errors and flaws in the game, and with Jagex's constant attempts to sweep their mismanagement under the carpet. Customer Support by Jagex is ... ludicrous. It's almost completely automated (YES!! Jagex use bots too!!) and very easy to get an appeal approved [i won't say how, here]. People really need to use the brain they were born with before making public statements that show just how asinine they really are.

*Standard Disclaimer

This product is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Please remain seated until the ride has come to a complete stop. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Nap was here. Your canceled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to ensure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in a well-ventilated area. Keep away from fire or flames. Replace with same type. Approved for veterans. Booths for two or more. Check here if tax deductible. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include taxes. No Canadian coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package, not for resale. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free number before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T. Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. No transfers issued until the bus comes to a complete stop. Package sold by weight, not volume. Your mileage may vary. If the flow controls supplied are not installed, this unit will not operate properly. Keep out of reach of children. When this set is used with other equipment, if the picture is not stable or the buzz sound is heard, try to change the mutual position of relevant equipment or take enough distance between them. This unit not labeled for retail sale. Phenylketonurics: contains phenylalanine. Close cover before striking. Mind the gap. No merchantability expressed or implied. Parental discretion is advised. Sold as a novelty item only. Although robust enough for general use, adventures into the esoteric periphery may reveal unexpected quirks. Not available in stores. May cause abdominal cramping and loose stools. Vitamins A, D, E, and K have been added. Not designed or intended for use in on-line control of aircraft, air traffic, aircraft navigation or aircraft communications; or in the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear facility. Container may explode if heated. May contain traces of various nuts and seeds.

This supersedes all previous notices.

[/hide]

Plz, quote me fully and try to understand another point of view...

My point is that if the author has screenshotted one of the most social places on runescape and captioned it with 'players kill each other for riches', he is either incredibly biased or doesn't know much about the game. Atleast thats the impression it gives to me. It damages his credibility.

Ok, kudos to him if your telling the truth about his 'truthscape' site, but I wasn't questioning that; i was questioning this article.

Anyone can fling afew accusations at any game, and that is what i feel that this guy has done. His criticisms are not constructive, and he is basically giving an overall poor veiw of a decent game and advising people away withtout giving them the full picture.

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

Plz, quote me fully and try to understand another point of view...

My point is that if the author has screenshotted one of the most social places on runescape and captioned it with 'players kill each other for riches', he is either incredibly biased or doesn't know much about the game. Atleast thats the impression it gives to me. It damages his credibility.

Ok, kudos to him if your telling the truth about his 'truthscape' site, but I wasn't questioning that; i was questioning this article.

Anyone can fling afew accusations at any game, and that is what i feel that this guy has done. His criticisms are not constructive, and he is basically giving an overall poor veiw of a decent game and advising people away withtout giving them the full picture.

I understood your point, and I disagree with it, as I pointed out.

Don't just take my word for it, go read the site, spend some time there, and try to understand how badly Jagex are "managing" their game. Yes, it's their game, and they can do what they want, but when they contravene their own rules, are sensible, moral people just supposed to sit there and not react to it?? No. They quite rightly get off their backsides, and inform the relevant people they're being ... silly. Why else would Jagex make so many U-turns and conflicting statements?

HOW are his criticisms NOT constructive? They're obviously constructive enough for other people to agree with, and Jagex to actually implement some of them (granted, not 100% by a long stretch).

You've also not read the whole article or sites as he says in several places, even here on TiFs that he quite likes the game, it's just certain aspects of the community, and the fact that Jagex either can't or won't do much to clean it up. Instead they focus almost exclusively on "fixing" things that aren't broke, graphics updates, and catering to very low-level "whingers" on their forums:

"nerf this item!"

"easier quests!"

When they do listen to the people that have played longest, for more high-level content (ie higher-end quests for people over 115 combat/2000+skills [NO, i'm not that high, but understand their frustration]) they actually then twist and distort it due to the whinging.

Ok, this year they introduced a couple of VERY high level areas, but that's the exception, not the rule :(

As for him advising people away?? I'd like you to provide an example please.... :-w

I've learned alot from Runescape it's increased my vocabulary and my grammar.

Let's hope that website isn't Jack Thompson in disguise. :ohnoes:

They are over exaggerating it, Shouldn't a 5 year old have parental supervision on the computer? :-k Runescape clearly says you must be 13 or older.

In conclusion, if you're 13 or older you could learn more things.

sig3ax9.png

i disagree with you here qalter.

yes 5 year olds to 12 year olds have the ability to play runescape.

its a teen rated game, how often do you see people dodging chat filters on f2p servers, (unless you decided to get members for your 12 year old or less in age) and jagex also says that sharing accounts is illegal and you have to guide them to play.

its the same situation as some ps2 grand theft auto 14 year old kid killing and having the ability to kill in that game, but he gets permission from his parents.

but even though he gets permission you cant blame rockstar for putting gore and blood in it because its a rated M game, the same how runescape is rated T.

Bbc_3.gif

4000000657th to 99 cookin

555555406th to 99 flethcin

i disagree with you here qalter.

yes 5 year olds to 12 year olds have the ability to play runescape.

its a teen rated game, how often do you see people dodging chat filters on f2p servers, (unless you decided to get members for your 12 year old or less in age) and jagex also says that sharing accounts is illegal and you have to guide them to play.

its the same situation as some ps2 grand theft auto 14 year old kid killing and having the ability to kill in that game, but he gets permission from his parents.

but even though he gets permission you cant blame rockstar for putting gore and blood in it because its a rated M game, the same how runescape is rated T.

Sorry, but you can blame Rockstar Games for the content of their games. They wrote them, they advertised the fact very heavily that such content was in the game, and only issued patches to "hide" this content when they were refused classifications in several countries that REFUSE to allow such content. And who whinged about this refusal effectively banning the game from sale? well it wasn't adults... #-o

5 year olds that can type,navigate and understand RuneScape :shock: :shock: NASA NEEDS THOSE 5 YEAR OLDS!!!

Dude, they can't type but RS is just a clicking game. Yes, 5 yr olds can click, it's not rocket science. My 5 yr old neighbor plays Age of Mythology, Rs in the beginner level isn't harder than that. All she has to do is get an axe and click on a tree, for example.

Error: Syntax. "Runescape", "grammar". Negative expected.

Best thing I read in all these 5 pages of repetitive garbage. +1

Qeltar: I would agree with most that the article is skewed (and anachronistic context acknowledged), but all in all, given the amount of fanboyism and dogma most people hold towards Jagex, the bias is appropriately placed. Quote-end-quote law of averages and all.

Any attempt at mixing education into entertainment will always result in failure and crappy kids. A great book that everybody here should read is Amusing Ourselves to Death, by Neil Postman.

There are a great deal of issues here that isn't limited to RuneScape, but to "virtual reality" and the Internet in general.

I am a tree.

Intresting article, but I don't agree with the writer of it. Sure, there are many negative sides of online gaming which is howed in RS. The scamming is just one of many examples. But Jagex is working on soloving these problems, and it's hard. I think that they're doing a great job. Also, there are many more positive sides than negative ones.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

It looks to me like qeltar has a major problem, weather it's with Jagex or the kids that play the game along side all of us, I couldn't tell you. I can tell you he is rather dishonest in some of his responses to posts in this thread. The best example is the pic of a Scholistic sales flier along with his claim that Jagex is marketing to kids. Is Jagex producing sales copy for Scholistic Publishing now? I think not, but according qeltar they are. Never mind that Jagex may not have had anything to do with the book in the ad in the first place.

There is a loop hole in U.S. copyright law that would allow scholistic to use Jagex's images. If the material is used for the purpose of parody, education or news dissemination, than it no longer falls under copyright protection. As this book is a "how to" and it is published in the U.S. by a company that specializes in educational material, Jagex couldn't stop them if they wanted to. In fact, if they did try, Jagex could get sued for harassment. It happened with Atari. This is also why you can find so many "cheat" books at the book store. None of the game companies get any money from most of those books.

Another thing I would point out is his web site. To me it looks like page after page of what's wrong with Rune Scape. He uses the same complaints that people have had about every video game since pong, only updated. Yes some do apply to Rune Scape, but they apply to every other online game as well. The rest of it looks like he's trying to convince readers how great of a guy he is and what a heroic job he is single handedly doing to clean up the game. BTW, if you don't know about his site yet, look at his sig file, it's a rolling advertisement for it.

In short (I know, too late ) the man strikes me as a self centered crusader type who can only be happy if he is complaining about someone else.

Just my impressions. I may be wrong.

***Happily poking bears, kicking cubs and petting bobcats since 1967***

eagleglobeanchorke1.gifc975dbbbcb.png eagleglobeanchorke1.gif

violent069oe7.gif Who says smileys are always happy? gunfight32zm4.gifmortarox0.gif

Just to add my two cents worth to what Lux has said, if you check out the author of the book, Tracey West, you will find she has written a number of manuals to childrenÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s games. The front cover of the book boldly proclaims itself as the official handbook, but nowhere on the cover is the Jagex trademark featured. If this was a book sponsored by Jagex, I would have thought they would have ensured their logo was shown?

Next to the ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬Ådangers of RunescapeÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

vlad_the_old.jpeg

Thanks to 4be2jue for the sigs.

Vlad_The_Old.png

There are 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't!

Vlad_the_old.png

Although no one here seems to actually read anything other then their own commentary, I will try reach the few with sense so you may have some truthful replies.

The original text in those article stemmed from the luring fiasco and the original thread was hashed out at that time.

I met Qeltar as a concerned parent who disapproved of the non-compliance with rule 2...luring sticky RSOF. I am not on his friends list and he is not on mine. We do have the interest of the game and those playing it in common, however.

Qeltar has posted numerous times in this thread that he is the author and that has been virtually ignored. He was insulted undeservedly many times however and mostly by those who did not care to read his posts here, the articles in question or go to his site.

Lord British is his own entity and is a separate character. Resorting to silliness and pettiness does not make points, although in this forum it seems to be a reason for posting.

The flier that is referred to and is being refuted was brought to his attention by me. I was disturbed that it was directed to even younger children in my country. (Canada) In our school, the k to 6 are the only ones to whom that flier was given. A similar flier was distributed throughout North American schools at book fairs that occur 2 to 4 times a year.

The name of the book has changed several times. It was Andrew's baby as he has admitted on forums. He and Scholastic collaborated to make a Runescape manual. It was originally called an Official Runescape Guide. That had to be changed as it was a guide solely for newcomers and as such was incorrect. They were obliged to change the name to the Official Runescape guide to the free world. The name has changed twice since then and I have no idea what it may be called now.

The inside cover of that book has the official Jagex logo and copyright info. I imagine my having seen it first hand at my son's book fair will not help matters anyway. You will all just say I am a female version of Qeltar! :roll:

May I recommend that you read not only the articles in question, but the forum conversations that followed on that site, as well as Qeltar's amazing Runescape player information and parent guides at Truthscape .com.

My Disclaimer: I am not a male although Pauly is the nickname of one in the show "sopranos". I am not Qeltar even though I support him fully in this thread. I am not allergic to nuts, but I tend not to post here often because of them :lol:

I'm very much in agreement with Lux Tenebrae and Vlad the Old.

Any parent who lets a pre-teen surf the web without supervision is asking for trouble. Come to that, most teens need a lot more internet supervision than they get, and as a parent of a teen I've had to take some drastic steps from time to time.

Vlad's metaphor of leaving a kid alone with a loaded gun is very appropriate -- there's a lot of stuff out there on the internet that's not suitable for adults, let alone kids.

Jagex's policy is in compliance with COPPA -- which they need if they want to do business in the US, even though they're a UK company. (Failure to comply could cost them their US servers, as well as huge legal bills and fines.) It's not their job to make their game "safe" for players outside their publicly stated age range. Andrew has said that the game is written for "people like us" -- i.e. Jagex employees, most of whom are in their early 20s. So it is a game for teens and older. (Much older in some cases! :oops: )

Jagex did make a huge error of judgement over the luring issue, and was soundly taken to task over it by many of the fansites as well as the PMods -- although I wasn't privy to the discussion, I've heard that there was some serious talk in the PMod forum. I don't think qeltar should be claiming the glory for getting Jagex to change their mind on this one -- he was just one of a very large number of voices in that particular outcry.

Jagex's job is to provide a game for their customers to play. They do that and do a pretty good job of it. It's not their job to do anything more than provide a game and kick out rule breakers when they catch them.

Caveat Emptor applies -- perhaps even more on the internet than in real life.

As for the infamous flier. I doubt if that was anything to do with Jagex -- Scholastic puts them out all the time. I used to get them send home from school with my son when he was that age. I've seen several things advertised in them that I found questionable, though he stopped getting them before the book was released so I never saw that one. If you want to do anything about that, then complain to Scholastic -- they're the one's pushing the book. And Caveat Emptor applies here too.

If you're a parent, then it's your job to make sure that everything your kid does, all the toys and clothes he/she has, the food he/she eats, etc. is suitable and safe. (It's not a job for wimps, let me tell you!) It's no one else's job to tell you how to bring your kid up, what books he/she should read, what TV shows to watch, music to listen to, what time to go to bed, what to eat and drink. You have to take time to get involved in what your kid is doing, and make sure that they haven't strayed into dangerous or dubious territory.

It's not Jagex's job, nor is it qeltar's, nor any other "concerned citizen" to bring up your kids. Most of you are probably too old to remember Mary Whitehouse and her campaigns against "obscenity" or Tipper Gore's campaigns against bad language in music. But these sorts of crusades are totally bogus. They're much more about making a name for the crusaders than they are about really making a difference.

If you want to make a difference in Runescape, then don't scam, don't lure, don't cheat, don't attempt to avoid the censor, don't buy and sell items or accounts for real money. In short, play by the rules. And of course report anyone you see breaking them. You don't need a huge crusade and an ad-supported website to make a difference, you just need to play right.

As it is, the vast majority of players are decent law abiding people -- like the vast majority of people anywhere. It would be a terrible waste to break the game because of a few cheats.

hugh_mannity.png