"Runescape : an education that kids don't need?"

supanova

My 7 year old daughter plays runescape. She keeps telling me how she kicked [wagon] at that sheep shearing quest.
lol i like that :thumbsup: and i think its cool that we have the person who wrote that article with us, it completely enables to ask his/her views when they wrote that and why they said what they said instead of just assuming stuff.

Like someone else said RS is as educational as you make it. This goes for any game (and life experiences) if you really wanna learn from it.

This is a stupid example but when i play GoW sometimes i try different weapons. When i first started to use the sniper rifle i got my head blown off. then i learned to hide behind cover, then i learned how to shoot other peoples heads off.

This probably doesn't have anything to do with it i just like say how i can blow peoples heads off 'cause i think its cool :XD:

MSSW3-Banner.gif

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Triforceelf.

Tell me, folks.. if tobacco companies deliberately advertised to children, made it possible for children to smoke in schools, sold books to help kids start smoking, and made free cigarettes available to kids, would they share any blame for kids becoming smokers, or would it only fall on the parents?

There is no point debating such topics here.

The vast majority of Humans are unable to think in scientific terms. Instead they are trained to think only in emotional terms. This applies to scientists as well as laymen, unfortunately, and that is why sensitive topics are always colored by propaganda. That is why the burden of proof always falls on those who question propaganda. That is why such propaganda will be defended with the fanaticism of religious dogma. (edit: see that bigm person above - personal attack against the author as the only basis to defend his truth)

Friedrich Nietzsche once said, ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬Åfaith means not wanting to know what is true,ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

this reminds me of a quote from the movie "than you for smoking"

'if my child really wants to start smoking than i'll buy him his first pack.'

yah, i just realized thats all i have to say.

I require hugs. Seriously, just give them to me, and youll see your little turtle again.

syal_antilli.png

syal_antilli.png

Someone please introduce me to the absolute moron who wrote the review. I'd like to point out a few things to them. Whoever wrote this obviously didn't play enough. Forgetting this game is 13+, forgetting that most 5 year olds cant type or read well, and not bothering to play enough to realize that, if there are any 5 year olds at all in the game, there's an incredibly low amount of them.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Someone please introduce me to the absolute moron who wrote the review.

wave.gif

Whoever wrote this obviously didn't play enough.

You obviously didn't bother reading this short thread before letting your knees start jerking, hmm? ;)

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Just when Jagex looked like they were making progress towards erring on the mature side for updates, they went and blew everything to hell with that damned "one minute death rule" and the Assist System. The OMDR was meant to benefit newer, less mature players, but in reality, it benefits nobody. Newer players are likely not knowledgable enough to be able to reach their stuff before it appears to others, and higher levels are punished directly because they have to put themselves at a significant risk to save their partners' items at tough bosses. This single-handedly killed KQing, as the risk is not worth the reward anymore.

Now, for the Assist System... It was made as an anti-scam measure, but honestly, "trust trades" were not that common, and only idiots fell for scams involving them. If you were smart, you'd look someone up before trading your gems/ores and then also take into account their skill total and combat level... Chances are, a level 115+ or someone with over 1500 total will not risk their account being banned for a few items.... But the masses are too stupid to realize that. Therefore, everyone must suffer. Now, nothing really changed with this update, true enough, except it propagated begging. The removal of the resource gathering skills was a step in the right direction, but you still have noobs following high levels begging them to "assist with onyx crafting/smithing." In summary, this was an overly drastic and poorly implemented way of removing a scam that was easily preventable and not very threatening. (So what if a noob lost a few rubies or diamonds?)

Oh, and the way combat is designed is a further testament to the underaged marketing of this game. In a duel, a level 105 has as much a chance of winning as his level 115 opponent.... It's a marketing ploy, so that lower leveled youngsters do not become discouraged and quit because they were obliterated by a higher level (which is what SHOULD happen, and WOULD happen in any other RPG)

td2sig.jpg

I'm the author of that article (and another in the same series.) They were both discussed months ago here (and in other places), though I guess we could do it again. :lol:

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=634393

~q

Ah good old Qeltar with his parent-child safety articles. :P

I probably would have know it was you anyway, as this sentence gave it away(you always seem to start your articles with something like this):

In the first part of this two-part series, I take a look at the game and describe what its community is really like.

Other than that I agree with the points made in the article. I believe I contributed to that old thread several months ago, so I donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t see a need to go digging it up just to slap down a few details.

I also admire Qeltar for directly counterarguing one of jagexÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s and a large handul of playerÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s beliefs- that runescape does have a large bit of educational content- even though he is a runescape player himself. :P

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

But RuneScape is child-oriented, with some players as young as five online.

Thats probably not true, but alot of young people (8 and 9 etc) play Runescape, and Jagex know that, hence them not making more mature stuff.

I think they should either enforce that rule, or just remove it.

sig.gif

Precisely, Runescape was originally meant to be for kids aged 13 and above. If 5 year old kids dont follow that rule and play, and if they get "hurt" in any way, its really their own fault. I just cant stand being insulted by a 5 year old in-game.

00:00:05

00:00:04

00:00:03

00:00:02

00:00:01

00:00:00

Break the Walls down!

why do they market the game to elementary school students?
I saw a RuneScape "manual" at a book fair at my daughter's school. The next day, she said she saw kids reading it on the bus. She told them, "Hey, I play that game!" They were like, "Woah, they have a game of this?"

Ding! We have a winner.

scholastic_click.png

It was Jagex's decision to commission, participate in the writing of, and market this book to children that partially prompted me to write that article. (Part of it was also the company's abominable "luring is okay" decision in February, which they backtracked on mere days after my article went up.)

Jagex actually has made some strides in the 7 or 8 months since the first article was written, but they have a long way to go.

its a book thats on sale in a book catalouge mate, and forgive me if im wrong, but the ages indicate the recommended age to read the book, not the age to play the game

and calling teenagers going through puberty "hornball" is quite disturbing, you yourself must have gone through puberty, so wats with the sterotyped comment, or you havnt experianced puberty yet, which is why ur such a tightarse

Fire Cape attempts - 3 | No Cigar

8__omega__8.gif

8__omega__8.png

Seems like this editor took one extreme and ran with it. Seriously, he needs to learn to look on the bright side.

Jagex can't be held responsible for kids that get to their site somehow. That's the parent's responsibility. Kinda wish people would stop pinning it on Jagex. It isn't like they can install a filter on everyone's computer...

Damnit, Makoto! You always say exactly what I want to say ages before I want to say it =(

However, I have to agree that the article does make some points. Admittedly, nearly all of the points are true, except they are extremely coloured by a seemingly biased mind. Yes, we do have all the things mentioned in the article, but they're much, much less pronounced. For example, gambling is put forth as a huge part of the game, as big as Thieving. Not true! BA is the only place I've seen gambling (excluding Death Plateau, I think, where you have to get a guy drunk and then win at dice for the secret code). Why not put alcoholism forward as a part of RuneScape that could injure children? I know (from a painful recent experience...) that alcohol can be extremely bad, and it's a helluva lot more prominent in today's world than gambling is. Gambling is not a small problem, but alcoholism is constant, no matter your location, age (excluding minors, and not even then - I know a few extremely alcoholic fifteen-year-olds, and in my size town, a few is representative of a huge number), or gender, while gambling is prevalent more in Las Vegas than anywhere, and far more popular in the young, rich people. Also, alcoholism is larger than gambling in RuneScape, and yet it was not put forward as an issue. I think that if the author wanted to pick on the small things, he could've chosen bigger small things to pick on. However, this isn't to say that all the things in the article are small - scamming and insults run rampant throughout the game, especially in F2P. And addiction - that's another thing. But if you're going to deal with big things, deal with big things only. You're making the game seem worse than it is by placing gambling next to scamming as a problem.

lSEHB.gif

Being immature is a part of being mature.

Well tbh this guy talks out the wrong end...

If parents let their children play it too young (by not monitoring them on the computer) then that is the parents responsibility. Its like if parents give their children Gears of War, then complain about them being corrupted by violence and gore.

Anyway, overall RS is a friendly game, and is often joking about the immoral things that quests/the game involve you doing.

And anyway, the game is based roughly on RL, RL is a much scarier place for kids lol. :ohnoes:

He is completely biased and shows no good points, and o idea of what he's talking about.

His Caption to the party room is something like

'players kill each other in the wilderness to gain riches'

when the party room is perhaps the most social place on the game for new players

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

Now I know that half the people on this forum don't like to read everything fully before posting the first thing that pops into their fairly small minds, that seems to fall into 1 of 2 categories :

"I am so much better than you ever can be so your points are invalid and I will continuously shout my spurious arguements until you leave"

or

"Jagex is so ÃÆÃâÃâ¦Ã¢â¬Åberly good that people who complain obviously haven't played the game and I will continuously shout my spurious arguements until you leave".

So with that in mind, I'll try to explain simply and slowly.

now, correct me if i'm wrong, but RuneScape has an age restriction of 13+. why the heck are kids as young as 5 playing?!

This age restriction is very recent. I started in October of 2005 when there was no such rule. Jagex made this rule to comply with some American law (that IIRC, was repealed even more recently) so they could advertise the game and allow servers to host it in the US. It's called "COPPA" or Child Online Privacy Protection Act. It was fairly draconian in penalties for companies that failed to meet it's stringent conditions about gathering data from their player base of children.

I know quite a few families that play Runescape, and yes, children too. The youngest player I know of, personally, is aged 6. He's the son of an Australian friend of mine, and she guides his activities in this game. There's also the 11 year old girl I've known since just after I signed up. (Tell the truth, I had thought her to be at least college age because of her manner of speech and general maturity in game).

Jagex rules at signing up now state a person under the age of 13 can not create a new avatar. This does not, (at least Jagex don't enforce it), affect avatars created BEFORE this COPPA act compliance, so the problem is not that people are now violating a game rule, but that Jagex either will not or can not apply this rule retroactively.

I also know personally, that children as young as 3 can use computers very successfully.

They may not play games as complex as Runescape, but they are capable of playing games suitable for their age. With a responsible adult at their side to guide their activities, children can safely play some online games too.

Seems like this editor took one extreme and ran with it.

Seriously, he needs to learn to look on the bright side.

Jagex can't be held responsible for kids that get to their site somehow. That's the parent's responsibility. Kinda wish people would stop pinning it on Jagex. It isn't like they can install a filter on everyone's computer...

I'm sorry? Jagex aren't responsible for advertising to children? Jagex don't continuously "dumb down" the game content to cater to children, thereby making it more appealing to them?

Yes, parents should be monitoring their children's internet activities, and in an ideal world, all parents would. In an ideal world there would be no wars, rape, murder, burglary, drugs, etc. The world is not "Black and white" as some people would like to think. There are whole shades of grey out there, and This COPPA "compliance" by Jagex is a prime example.

I'm the author of that article (and another in the same series.)

Let me just post that again for those who didn't bother reading this the first time :

I'm the author of that article (and another in the same series.)

Yes, the authour of that nearly 1 year old article admits here, on Tipit Forums, that he did indeed write that article.

Looks like some Wikidiot needs to do their research...

This is all I have to say tbh:

!Attention Parents!:If you don't like the game, don't let your kids play(Illegally)!

Kinda sad, isn't it? Parents these days don't want to take responsibility; it's easier to blame the favorite demons of all the world's 'Committees of Concerned Mothers/Fathers', Rock and video games...

HELLO!!?? See above points.

It's not that a lot of these children under 13 are playing illegally, they signed up BEFORE Jagex decided they wanted to comply with this american COPPA law so they could advertise in the US for more children to sign up. New avatars can be created by children under 13 now ONLY with their parents compliance, and permission. I bet I know quite a few that don't get either, but as long as Jagex appear to be complying with the law, and the $5 is paid, do you seriously think they're going to overturn EVERY little rock to see what's underneath??:wall:

5 year olds don't have to brain capacity to properly play MMORPGS.

They don't have the ability to set goals, they can't do quests, etc. I don't know where they got that statistic.

Hmm? Would the esteemed gentleperson care to retract that statement before being shown to the world as a completely ignorant (and I'm using the word in it's proper meaning) person? I know personally, children of 4 that set goals, work towards them, reach them, then make new goals. Day-in, day-out. Not just short-term goals for 1 day, but months long goals.

These children can, and do, play games, including MMORPGs. The more complex tasks in games will require adult supervision and help, but are you seriously saying that they can't learn from observation, and repetition?? :shame:

Well, it DOES appear to be from wiki, so chances are the statistics were invented by some moron, but by what I've seen ingame, the bit about 5 year olds playing rs might not be too far from the truth..

Yet another ... person... either UNABLE to read, or UNWILLING to read. The first poster states he was surfing wiki for Runescape yes, but did you actually read the link he supplied (not clicked it, just read the address)??

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2007/03/26/runescape_exposed/

That's "Tomsgames.com", not Wiki. And we have the authour of the articles here in this very thread, and from what I've seen from the postings here, he's not the moron.... #-o

RuneScape can be as educational as you can make it. The age limit is 13 but children under 13 afre allowed to play with guardians permission.

The internet is a place where you can express opinions and RuneScape is a meduim which you can use that power. People abuse this because there are no physical damaging consequences therefore you get scammers which makes learning on RuneScape tougher but on the other hand it could be a steep learning curve for kids.

Good article but as a player i think that RuneScape has taught me many things.

Sir, I salute you on your post =D>

No physical damage : on the surface, yes....but it goes further than that. People who have negative experiences tend to react in 1 of several ways. There's "oh well, it's only a game" or "I'm gonna [swear] kill you, you [swear]". There's also those that take it even more seriously. Needless to say I won't discuss that aspect on here.

The responsibility lies squarely on the shoulders of the parents. Don't like the fact that your kids are your responsibility... that's easy, keep your zipper done up.

A tobacco company could 'advertise to children' - it's still my responsibility to my children to monitor the television they watch, and - should they see an advertisement for something I disapprove of, educate them as to why its not a good idea.

I'm not really sure how you think a tobacco company could "make it possible" to smoke in schools. Whether or not smoking is allowed in a school or not should be an issue for the school... last time I checked, the tobacco companies didn't own any schools, but if they did, and they allowed smoking in them, then it's still my right and responsibility as a parent to find out about the smoking policy of a school before I decide whether or not to send my children there.

Likewise with the books and free cigarettes, what my children obtain is my responsibility to filter - not the tobacco companies, not the government, not the community. Any prospective parent who feel that anyone but themselves should bear any responsibility for the upbringing of their children other than themselves and their partner needs to make an appointment with a vasectomy clinic right away.

- Father of two very happy, well adjusted children who enjoy sitting on dad's knee watching him carve up a dragon or two before bedtime.

That's an ... interesting ... point of view you've got there. :-k Quite naÃÆÃâÃâïve and ever so faintly disturbing at an obsessive level...

You seriously expect people to monitor their children 24/7?? Seems we're back to that ideal world again. :wall: There's only so much a parent can do for their children : yes, we can teach them right and wrong, and morals, but there comes a point where you have to let go, let them stand on their own two feet, let them learn things for themselves. Kids lie as soon as they learn there's a difference between "me" and "you" (for the unknowledgeable, that's approximately 2-3 years old :shock:. I did it myself : I told my parents I was going to one friend's house when in fact I went to another's, much further away. Do I regret it now? Yes, I lied to those who love me, care for me. If anything had happened to me, they wouldn't have known until that knock on the door. The world doesn't always deal in absolutes as you seem to think, there's lots of room to manouevre between "Black" and "White". And therein lies the rub.

If your so worried over the harmful effects of Runescape, please leave us in peace. Also do research before making up false statistics.

Do you have proof he made up those statistics? Because that claim would be libellous if you don't ;)

Someone please introduce me to the absolute moron who wrote the review.

I'd like to point out a few things to them. Whoever wrote this obviously didn't play enough.

Forgetting this game is 13+, forgetting that most 5 year olds cant type or read well, and not bothering to play enough to realize that, if there are any 5 year olds at all in the game, there's an incredibly low amount of them.

Warren211, I'd like you to meet Qeltar. Qeltar, this is Waren211, something of an idiot.

Hello Warren211, Please, please, please engage your brain before opening your mouth. You won't look so completely silly then :wall:

As I've said above, I know quite a few young children, maybe not as young as 5, that play online. Their spelling and grammar makes quite a few people on these, and other forums, look completely [developmentally delayed]ed. Also as stated above, by myself and a couple of others, this 13+ rule by Jagex is a recent innovation, to comply with the American COPPA law. Players before this was enacted who are STILL under the age of 13, remain unnaffected. That means that they are still able to play the game they created their avatar on several years ago.

its a book thats on sale in a book catalouge mate, and forgive me if im wrong, but the ages indicate the recommended age to read the book, not the age to play the game and calling teenagers going through puberty "hornball" is quite disturbing, you yourself must have gone through puberty, so wats with the sterotyped comment, or you havnt experianced puberty yet, which is why ur such a tightarse

Wow, Please refer to my opening comments to the last quote. And enact them 15 times.

Insulting? yes, you are. Trolling, most probably. Even if, as you say, the ages on the OFFICIAL RUNESCAPE MANUAL, marketed to children's schools, are reading ages for the book, do you seriously expect kids that young to NOT pester their parents relentlessly to be able to play "the cool game of this book"??

As for the rest of your comments, I don't feed trolls, so I'll refrain here too :wink:

He is completely biased and shows no good points, and o idea of what he's talking about.

His Caption to the party room is something like

'players kill each other in the wilderness to gain riches'

Umm did you actually read it? He's not biased to the extent you assume [yeah, you're making an [wagon] out of YOU] here. He likes the game, he plays the game, he's just worried that Jagex aren't doing all in their power to ensure the rules THEY made are followed, even down to the

absolute howler earlier this year that they PUBLICLY ENDORSED rule breaking such as luring and scamming. His own website, Truthscape, highlights a lot of problems, and in quite a few cases, within days of his writing about them, Jagex "suddenly" fix the problem. Coincidence?

maybe....but that's an awful lot of coincidence for my tastes.

The only quote you can pull off the whole article is that "the caption doesn't match the picture"???

NEWSFLASH : They aren't meant to. Even my 6year old neice saw that one :wall:

In summary, the article is written by someone who HAS played the game for years, knows what he's talking about, yet has to endure the attentions of idiots, trolls and worse for trying to bring people's attentions to SERIOUS errors and flaws in the game, and with Jagex's constant attempts to sweep their mismanagement under the carpet. Customer Support by Jagex is ... ludicrous. It's almost completely automated (YES!! Jagex use bots too!!) and very easy to get an appeal approved [i won't say how, here]. People really need to use the brain they were born with before making public statements that show just how asinine they really are.

*Standard Disclaimer

This product is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Please remain seated until the ride has come to a complete stop. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Nap was here. Your canceled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to ensure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in a well-ventilated area. Keep away from fire or flames. Replace with same type. Approved for veterans. Booths for two or more. Check here if tax deductible. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include taxes. No Canadian coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package, not for resale. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free number before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T. Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. No transfers issued until the bus comes to a complete stop. Package sold by weight, not volume. Your mileage may vary. If the flow controls supplied are not installed, this unit will not operate properly. Keep out of reach of children. When this set is used with other equipment, if the picture is not stable or the buzz sound is heard, try to change the mutual position of relevant equipment or take enough distance between them. This unit not labeled for retail sale. Phenylketonurics: contains phenylalanine. Close cover before striking. Mind the gap. No merchantability expressed or implied. Parental discretion is advised. Sold as a novelty item only. Although robust enough for general use, adventures into the esoteric periphery may reveal unexpected quirks. Not available in stores. May cause abdominal cramping and loose stools. Vitamins A, D, E, and K have been added. Not designed or intended for use in on-line control of aircraft, air traffic, aircraft navigation or aircraft communications; or in the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear facility. Container may explode if heated. May contain traces of various nuts and seeds.

This supersedes all previous notices.

Of those who say nothing, few are silent -=Thomas Neil =-

The vast majority of Humans are unable to think in scientific terms. Instead they are trained to think only in emotional terms. This applies to scientists as well as laymen, unfortunately, and that is why sensitive topics are always colored by propaganda. That is why the burden of proof always falls on those who question propaganda. That is why such propaganda will be defended with the fanaticism of religious dogma.

Cheers

Why, oh why do people take quotes from the internet (in this case from the American Renaissance News) and pass it off as their own?

*On Topic* - I originally read Truthscape some time ago, and, although Qeltar makes some good points, I do believe he goes OTT on a number of issues.

Why, oh why do people take quotes from the internet (in this case from the American Renaissance News) and pass it off as their own?

*On Topic* - I originally read Truthscape some time ago, and, although Qeltar makes some good points, I do believe he goes OTT on a number of issues.

Are these issues the ones Jagex "updated" over the last several months? or the ones they have yet to acknowledge? :wink:

I raise again the point that Jagex made a complete fool of themselves over this luring into the wilderness to kill for items earlier this year. It was the efforts of people like this Qeltar, and possibly (I'm not totally convinced) one or more of Jagex's advertisers/sponsors telling them that their stance on this not only contravened their OWN RULES, but was morally reprehensible too. #-o

If one voice can make a positive change in the way Jagex operates their game, I'd rather it be Qeltar, or someone like him, than any of the thousands of peurile rants "posters" on the Runescape Official Forums.

I hope you don't wear those blinkers when you're crossing the street :P

Again, my views are my own, and mine alone, and I intend no insult with my rather blunt manner of speech :-w

Of those who say nothing, few are silent -=Thomas Neil =-

Basically a person under the age of 13 cannot legally own an account

Legally, no one on RS owns an account.

To play the Game or use many features of this site, we require you to create an account. All valid account holders are hereby licensed to play the Game and to download and use our client software and connect to our servers for the sole purpose of playing the Game subject to compliance with these terms and conditions.

The key word there is licensed, bolded for your convenience. If you are licensed to do something, that means that someone is giving you permission to basicly rent something of theres. No one owns their runescape accounts, just like most people don't own their own house or car, the bank does.

triforceelf.png

Hello Teeg,

The vast majority of Humans are unable to think in scientific terms. Instead they are trained to think only in emotional terms. This applies to scientists as well as laymen, unfortunately, and that is why sensitive topics are always colored by propaganda. That is why the burden of proof always falls on those who question propaganda. That is why such propaganda will be defended with the fanaticism of religious dogma.

Cheers

firstly, I'm very surprised that a reader of such a highly reader-selective medium as AR definitely is would proceed to attack somebody in such an inadequate manner. Purposefully denying the content of the message, denouncing the text just by pointing out the use of a quote is a practice of the empty handed.

Secondly, to answer your question, I keep a very extensive list of quotes gathered over many years from news, books, conferences et cetera which I find note worthy. If it helps me to deliver the message intended across to the reader, I do not have any regrets incomporating any strong and fitting quotes from my notes into the texts.

Lastly, while dealing with the bellow-average community of Runescape game players on these boards, I won't regret the use of any copy/paste material that seems to be fitting my views on the subjects discussed. The message will be delivered and a lot of seconds saved in the process; leaving me overjoyed for the time saved while masochistically dealing with the local trash.

Cheers

edit: on topic: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=634393&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

Also. I'm not going to make a new, off topic reply posts. If you need to explain what was ment by this short article written in simple English language, use the private messaging system.

And to the few who seem not understand the big words: To borrow other people's ideas, research, or discovery IS plagiarizing. It is way different from borrowing other people's well-laid formulation of general, widely known content, just to make message of MY ideas more clear. It is widely used practice in papers, politics, television news, or public speeches worldwide. It does not require quoting.

[hide=quotes]

Hello Teeg,

Cheers

firstly, I'm very surprised that a reader of such a highly reader-selective medium as AR definitely is would proceed to attack somebody in such an inadequate manner. Purposefully denying the content of the message, denouncing the text just by pointing out the use of a quote is a practice of the empty handed.

Secondly, to answer your question, I keep a very extensive list of quotes gathered over many years from news, books, conferences et cetera which I find note worthy. If it helps me to deliver the message intended across to the reader, I do not have any regrets incomporating any strong and fitting quotes from my notes into the texts.

Lastly, while dealing with the bellow-average community of Runescape game players on these boards, I won't regret the use of any copy/paste material that seems to be fitting my views on the subjects discussed. The message will be delivered and a lot of seconds saved in the process; leaving me overjoyed for the time saved while masochistically dealing with the local trash.

Cheers

[/hide]

Wow, dude. Get off your high horse. You have:

a) Openly attacked a user for pointing out that you used a quote and failed to cite it as such, which is plagiarism. You also admitted that you do this regularly.

and

B) Insulted the entire TIF community by deeming them to have below-average intelligence and calling them trash.

If you weren't so eager to attempt to boost your ego, you would have perhaps realized that Teeg said nothing to deny what you wrote. His sole purpose for quoting you was to point out that you used a quote and passed it off as your own.

Using big words does not singularly make you sound intelligent. When your post is so riddled with idiocy already the use of an extended vocablulary does nothing but make you sound more like an egotistic fool. And I'm sorry to inform you that the majority of the community here is easily competent enough to recognize you as such.

Again, get off the high horse and stop plagiarising. Cite your quotes.

p2gq.jpg

Anti-gaming campaigns always fail. Last year it was WoW. :-w

Yeah, someones always gotta be raging against the machine.

Hey that could be a band. Gah, its already been done. :P

"Boy, sure would be nice to have some grenades, don't you think you think?"

1840554111_a0023e3d17.jpg

Although it may simply be my adolecant nature, I absolutely hate this over protectiveness that leads family members (particularly mothers, hence the name "soccer moms") to make such outrageous claims. Basically just looking for problems where there are none.It's a 13+ game too, if they don't want their kid playing it, then it's their responsibility.

This isn't the first time either. It ruins the fun. In the dub of naruto there was such a fuss over some censored nudity (wasn't even animated), which was only for comic relief. In the latest megaman, apparently "Killerman" is offensive and was changed to "eraseman" (despite the guy looking like an assassin). I mean what's wrong with saying kill? It's not even a swear word!

The 5 year old thing just decreases the credibility this "educational" discussion of runescape because it shows they obviously didn't bother finding out that the game is 13+

You can incorporate them as long as you give credit, if you don't then you are plagiarizing and that is not such a good idea.

Excuse me? You're openly insulting the entire community because we don't let you get away with plagiarism? Sounds to me like you need to learn some respect not only for someone who gave you a *reminder* to use quotes but also to the community as a whole.

EDIT: Ok it seems I can't trash the article completely just because some of it's facts are wrong. Here's a description I found particularly amusing

Female players in RuneScape are subjected to nearly continuous harassment by the testosterone-overloaded teenaged hornballs who comprise the bulk of the game's players. This includes lewd comments, and being constantly asked if they "want a boyfriend." Many girls resort to playing as male characters just to keep their sanity.

Funny description, although the author is trying to use this as well as some examples of "bullying" to say that kids act like they otherwise would do normally and then blames Jagex for letting it happen.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

Female players in RuneScape are subjected to nearly continuous harassment by the testosterone-overloaded teenaged hornballs who comprise the bulk of the game's players. This includes lewd comments, and being constantly asked if they "want a boyfriend." Many girls resort to playing as male characters just to keep their sanity.

Yeah, that is a good quote. I sometimes hang around in banks wearing my pink dwarf skirt and yelling, "Need bf/free stuff!" One time I got a free bronze sword that way, but most times it doesn't work. Maybe the moustache or bald spot give me away.

rs0.jpg