Rares prices.... (27,000+ views)

joker202

Personally, I sold most of my rares before the drop. I have two remaining, which I plan on keeping because I value them, and not because of their value. The two together costed me only 32M, and the resale value at the moment is just over that cost. I generally wouldn't care if they became untradeable or dropped to a worth of 1gp. I have them because I like them. I didn't sell them when I could have netted 70M+ for the two, and I don't plan on ever selling them.

Sure, I sold the ones that I didn't care for, as they were just a means of increasing my bank value. Just be aware that some people actually buy them because they want to keep them. Not because they were constantly increasing in worth or were a symbol of wealth.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jagex was openly complained about rares in the market. they want this.

they where also open about them being a really good thing in the game. in the sense it was a good goal for meny player=more player=more ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã to them :wink:

My private chat is always ON.

Winner of The Tip.It Teamcape Outfit Contest!

6 years. 1 dragon CS drop and some barrows, bad luck?

99melee.jpg

well, personally, i think if rares go down, that's a good thing. why? because rares are silly things that don't have any real value other than looking good/strange and maybe making/losing money. rares suck.

i agree rares are silly, and the owners and shallow and pedantic.

i suppose you 2 are new relatively new players to the game and most probably joined only after rs2 came out...among my rare collections ive a purple and even though its the cheapest and i can upgrade it anytime i want i'll never do so. why? cause i got it when my best friend irl pulled a cracker on me back then :D unfortunately he has stopped playing rs since :cry: but im still good friends with him irl so i'll never sell that purple phat away or do anything stupid with it.

those of you who say rares are dumb and the owners are shallow, think again cause i'll bet you my life i'm deeper than u guys for keeping the purple phat my friend pulled on me 5 years ago and not exchanging it for a blue even if i could.

maxed out melee on 10/10/08, current goal: 94/99 cooking

life may be unfair, but why can't it be unfair in my favor?

my fake plant died because i forgot to pretend to water it

Selhy.png

I like to say all this worry is for nothing.

I helped a friend by mining ore for them

I mined 1k copper 1k tin value 40k

she gave me 40k for the 40k worth of ore

The item traded or sold value comes into play.

The buyer has to buy the item at item value to make it equal

the 3k-30k thing means you can loss or gain by that much meaning

you can make a profit of 3k-30k depending on quest points.

so the so call limit is more like a profit or loss margin this is to make it so player can't rip off others and also makes it harder to transfer items.

So now that I cleared that up hope the rumor does not effect your thinking.

Theres a fine line between dreams and reality so if something good happens you must be dreaming cause reality sucks!

Ariel_Engle.jpg

I like to say all this worry is for nothing.

I helped a friend by mining ore for them

I mined 1k copper 1k tin value 40k

she gave me 40k for the 40k worth of ore

The item traded or sold value comes into play.

The buyer has to buy the item at item value to make it equal

the 3k-30k thing means you can loss or gain by that much meaning

you can make a profit of 3k-30k depending on quest points.

so the so call limit is more like a profit or loss margin this is to make it so player can't rip off others and also makes it harder to transfer items.

So now that I cleared that up hope the rumor does not effect your thinking.

Umm... 500m as opposed to 500m and 30k? Great Merchanting! :lol:

No witty signatures for me :(

Personally even though I spent 24m on my santa and it is currently around 12m, I don't plan on selling it as it has a lot of sentimental value to me.

In Soviet Russia, glass eats OTers.

Alansson Alansson, woo woo woo!

Pink owns yes, just like you!

GOOOOOOOOOO ALAN! WOO!

I bought 3 santas for 12.5m, they will go up because the domino effect has been started, as soon as word goes out its going up everyone wants to buy.

So we see every buying at the maximum price in the Grand Exchange, they all want to profit from it going up, but it seems somehow that they dont know its really them doing it.

Arzian.png

Wow kids are learning how real life trading goes down, cool :D

^^

The GE has worked just as I expected, as a runescape "stock market". I made about 2 mil doing nothing except buying and selling like 30 rune sets on the GE at a time. I'd put in the offer to buy, leave for a while and then put in an offer to sell once I had bought.

I was hoping to get a santa with the downward trend making them more affordable but I'm still too poor and now they seem to be creeping back up. And for me a santa isn't about the money, it's a reminder of playing back in RS1 where I saved the 100k or 200k (I cant remember now :lol: ) to get a santa hat. I was so proud O:)

What I think this crash of mini-rares reveals is a huge oversupply of them. They were originally perceived as quite rare, whereas in fact they probably aren't too rare. Hence the market correction and huge drops.

Still, I think once they reach below 10M they are becoming undervalued. I will personally invest in Santas when(if) they reach 10M.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

how much were Green Masks and Santa before the prices started falling, never really kept track of rare prices.

I think santas topped at around 30 mil. I'm not sure tho I never kept tabs on rares prices except from watching ingame convos.

In my opinion, rare prices are falling because staking is gone. It certainly makes hoarding enormous amounts of money harder. :?
Staking may be gone, but merching is easier/more profitable then ever. The GP cap is still there, so rares should reverse their trend eventually.

remember prices for santas and phats wont completly crash because there is still only a small amount of them and there is no way that it would not represent status because everyone would want one and it would only be a matter opf buing one before everyone else

*-P.K.Masters-* |5+ Years of Experience|F2P Events|Cmb: 95+

What I believe is the problem is an underlying change in the price inelasticity of rares. Before, rares were relativity inelastic and everyone knew instinctively that rares would rise in the future. The price elasticity of demand made it so that even as demand plummeted, rares would surely stay at their prices, or even keep going up. In the past few years though, rares have lost their niche market that they once seemed to have had. My theory is that the inelasticity of rares has become a thing of the past and are now more elastic than ever. The introduction of "substitutes" for the incredibly rich have allowed rares to lose a bit of their super status. More money is being funneled into things like Godswords and Third Age Armor.

With the addition of new and incredibly expensive items, rares now must compete with a market that they once dominated-the luxury market. Many different items offer the same or a substitute for the status of rares. These substitutes change the market and are making rares elastic, which means that the prices of rares will generally change with a change in demand.

This prospect is generally frightening for the rare owner who "knows" that rare prices have to go up in the future just because they are discontinued. This may not be the case as rares could lose their historical status and be replaced by new, more costly, as well as more useful, items.

What I believe is the problem is an underlying change in the price inelasticity of rares. Before, rares were relativity inelastic and everyone knew instinctively that rares would rise in the future. The price elasticity of demand made it so that even as demand plummeted, rares would surely stay at their prices, or even keep going up. In the past few years though, rares have lost their niche market that they once seemed to have had. My theory is that the inelasticity of rares has become a thing of the past and are now more elastic than ever. The introduction of "substitutes" for the incredibly rich have allowed rares to lose a bit of their super status. More money is being funneled into things like Godswords and Third Age Armor.

With the addition of new and incredibly expensive items, rares now must compete with a market that they once dominated-the luxury market. Many different items offer the same or a substitute for the status of rares. These substitutes change the market and are making rares elastic, which means that the prices of rares will generally change with a change in demand.

This prospect is generally frightening for the rare owner who "knows" that rare prices have to go up in the future just because they are discontinued. This may not be the case as rares could lose their historical status and be replaced by new, more costly, as well as more useful, items.

Your theory is all nice and dandy, but GWD and 3A has been out for quite some time now. If the introducement of very expensive items would be the cause of the decrease in rare prices, we would have seen that earlier.

Fact is, the decrease in rares has lead to people realising that it's time to have fun with their money. Whereas before, people would buy a phat as soon as they'd have the money - "it's going up all the time, better buy before it's up another 10m" - , people are now buying godswords and other, actually useful items. The faith in the ever rising rare is gone.

Anyway, rares are going up again (atleast santas)... seems like most people who need cash already sold theirs to get ready for summoning, altough I doubt you will need lots of cash for it.

Santa's are going up people \'

Th3_C4bb4g3.png

Th3_C4bb4g3.png

Th3_C4bb4g3.png

- Back to casual f2p scaping due to limited time (university and girlfriend <3:) -

how much were Green Masks and Santa before the prices started falling, never really kept track of rare prices.

Santa was at 23-24m in December 06, but after that it fell for a long time. It rose back to about 22.5m in late 07, and then... dropped and dropped and dropped.

In Soviet Russia, glass eats OTers.

Alansson Alansson, woo woo woo!

Pink owns yes, just like you!

GOOOOOOOOOO ALAN! WOO!