Rares prices.... (27,000+ views)

joker202

Holy moly. Normally I like long and intense posts. But this time it's getting a bit too much :D

Is anyone (but the guys involved) actually reading it all? I tried too, and succeeded, in the beginning that is...

At least you guys make them (your post) mostly quite nice and organised. Although, from time to time, I'm having a hard time on Flamacor's reply's. 8-)

Anyway, keep up the debate guys.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if there is one thing i am absolutely 100% sure of is that jagex will not cause rares to become untradable. if they wanted to do so they would have done it a hell long time ago instead of waiting till now. if they were to take it away they would upset the economy and cause prices of every thing to crash, not to mention lots of people quitting. i know of someone who has 18 blue partyhats, thats 9 billion and many of my friends own rares too.

the reason why prices of rares have been going down recently is due to the introduction of godswords and rich players selling their rares to own one of them. this dip in prices was also noticed when construction and abby whips were introduced but soon after that the prices of rares continued to increase again. even with the 3k trade limit the prices of rares can go up as in the ge where the trade limit is a percentage and not a set amount. people buy rares cause it is a form of secure commodity, the same way people buy gold during times of inflation. when inflation occurs and you hold onto cash, you are gonna be losing a lot of real money everyday. im sure all of us are familiar with the uncertainty of the rs economy and how inflation can hit it at any time and with full force. thus those who are rich enough would rather hold on to rares to prevent their real money from being eroded by inflation.

yes it is true that they will lose money if dis-inflation occurs but how much often do we notice inflation on rs than dis-inflation? as you can see what i have said about rare prices being representative of the current economy is true: prices of rares have dropped, but so have the prices of practically every single item in runescape! so ultimately, although the nominal prices of rares have dropped, the REAL value of rares have not moved at all. they will continue to fly high in the runescape economy, that i can assure you.

maxed out melee on 10/10/08, current goal: 94/99 cooking

life may be unfair, but why can't it be unfair in my favor?

my fake plant died because i forgot to pretend to water it

Selhy.png

discontinued items are on the decline. not your average investment for your average player. especially when it comes to wearables. what does john do after he gets 10 dragon chains 10 bandos hilts etc. he may buy himself a dc item or like many players chooses to buy some skills or supplies for yet more hilts. the bulk of buyers meaning rwt gold buyers, duellers, has been all but destroyed.

so dc items hit their prime in the heyday of these activities, not too surprising. what it will take to get the amount of demand back for dc items is huge. at their current prices; it's a big risk investing in a high value rare due to the amount of time expected to make a worthwhile profit after the january update.

the ge tends to convince sellers to sell low and buyers buy low so a reduction in value seems to be expected for quite awhile even though ge doesnt accurately reflect all dc items sale prices currently. what needs to take place for dc items to increase is 1. time of course; the economy/market will work itself out 2. accumulated wealth builds up despite past ways for it to build up... these are the 2 main factors.

we all know the supply is decreasing but what about demand? if there's little demand these items may not drop or gain in value much. with the ge there is less cause to believe price manipulation will work so phat sellers will be forced to either accept gold or lose a major portion of their profit margin unless they plan on investing in materials/skilling or trading for other dc items and gold with limited profit margin.

meaning very few sales! but in the long term the economy will adjust and wealth will build up and these items are still prized by some so ultimately they will increase in value but not as quickly or illegitamately as in the recent past. that's if jagex decides to keep them tradeable in the game.

so anyway. they are what they are; more now then ever. :P

[hide=-this is my signature- guides i've written]full list is at the top of <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754">viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754</a><!-- l -->[/hide]

Rares gone? We should be so lucky. Rares in one way or another are the cause of most of the cheats, scams, bots, RWT etc., that have been a hinderance to the honest players of this game. If they are ever gone for good, it will not be one day too soon.

The good news is that they will slowly die out. As it is now, very few players even give a rat's behind about the rares. As the people who "remember" rares leave the game, and new people come in, rares will eventually be completely forgotten. May that day hurry.

it is obvious that the people who think rares are going to die out are mostly those who do not own one and know not the advantages of owning one. the prices of rares are closely linked to the price of all the other items in rs. let's take a popular commodity and compare its price with that of rares: rune full set. previously before ge or godswords came out, the price of rune full was close to 200k or even more than that. that was the same time when rares were high and santas were around 24m. now the price of rune full sets have dropped pretty dramatically and this is reflected in the drop in the price of santas/rares. they are a reflection of the state of the rs economy and a security which ppl hold on to instead of holding on to cash which will cause them to lose money shd inflation occur.

maxed out melee on 10/10/08, current goal: 94/99 cooking

life may be unfair, but why can't it be unfair in my favor?

my fake plant died because i forgot to pretend to water it

Selhy.png

I had a santa and a red mask (not at the same time) but once the dueling arena update came, i really doubted the value of rares. Why do people get them? they look good and all, but i'd rather have useful armor or better weapons, all of which only cost fractions of the rare. so i sold it.

But, I do fear rares won't be very big sellers anymore, not if merchants who want big money made of of them quick, and are a big buyer of rares won't buy them if they can only make a max of 6k profit from them, (or 60k with max qp's)

Rares are the least of my worries though. The forums are going to suffer the most after this update. no one will log into the forums to sell anything when they can sell for higher price range on th GE (5% over 3k min so a 200k item can be bought for a min of 190k... 7k less than the min of trades with players.

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg

I had a santa and a red mask (not at the same time) but once the dueling arena update came, i really doubted the value of rares. Why do people get them? they look good and all, but i'd rather have useful armor or better weapons, all of which only cost fractions of the rare. so i sold it.
Well, if you have all the new armour and all that fun stuff, what else would you spend your money on? Another armadyl set?

But, I do fear rares won't be very big sellers anymore, not if merchants who want big money made of of them quick, and are a big buyer of rares won't buy them if they can only make a max of 6k profit from them, (or 60k with max qp's)

Rares are the least of my worries though. The forums are going to suffer the most after this update. no one will log into the forums to sell anything when they can sell for higher price range on th GE (5% over 3k min so a 200k item can be bought for a min of 190k... 7k less than the min of trades with players.

Yeah, forums (and trading in general) will become obsolete, only used by newbs buying full iron or something. But you shouldn't lose hope about merching just yet; I'm sure Jagex came up with something to soften the blow...and merching with GE is still possible.

If you have the cash, I think now is a great time to buy up rares while prices are depressed. Even if Jagex does kill merching, you shouldn't expect them to drop much more since they are rare and there are only so many in the game (that and many stakers/PKers have already quit, and if merching gets killed then many merchants will quit, so fewer rares overall).

You all cause good arguements, but are also repeating the same stuff over and over. IT''S simply this

rares dead or not.

Jagex has the chioce and they have the power. Sell/buy rares its YOUR money...if you want to lose/gian cash off it go ahead!

I for one was going to buy a rare, But I believe this.

With everyone selling, when they update finally comes. What will happen to GE prices? all them trying to be sold or whatever. The prices might fall badly(even with the 5% limit).

I'm more concerned with the overall prices then the actual update.

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

I doubt rares will be removed. They're perfect long-term goals that anyone can set. If they're removed or become untradeable, MANY more people will obviouisly quit. Skillers and mains still haven't got a really good reason to quit (like the pkers do), so why give them one?

I doubt they will ever be removed either, but I could see Jagex de-monetizing them (making them non-tradable, replacable by Diango, like rabbit ears or scythes).

They weren't afraid to get in the face of PKers and stakers; why should rares owners feel any safer?

That would be a shame, IMO, because rares aren't the symbols of corruption many people make them out to be. They will always be souvenirs of an earlier, better time in my book. They are the "inverted Jennys" of the Runescape world.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

this happens a lot with rares...but with the update rare merchanting is doomed...

If you say merchanting is doomed after the 3k update, then you are an idiot.

People are making insane amounts of money by using the grand exchange. Though, some of these are also because of Jagex's mistakes (putting prices wrong, or flaws in the "adaption system". )

Take ashes for instance: people who bould a few mill of them in the beginning (they were like 5 each) see their wealth more than quintuppled.

Or I heard someone who sold lots of addy squares in the beginning, which were 20k each because of the high demand (clues).

But once the market is more stable and prices are 'right', this wont be able to happen anymore. So yes, lucky deals are over. However, you can still buy TONS of, lets say, pure ess at # gp and sell them for # + 2 gp.

Can still make you millions.

But obviously, you didnt realise this.

this happens a lot with rares...but with the update rare merchanting is doomed...

People are making insane amounts of money by using the grand exchange. Though, some of these are also because of Jagex's mistakes (putting prices wrong, or flaws in the "adaption system". )

I think he talked about rare merchanting, which I have to agree on, as most merchants are now making insane profits trading normal materials and such, rather than trading rares. Merchants will probably place less focus on rares (they already do) and the limitation of only being able to have 6 outstanding orders at a time forces them to make decisions on which items these orders will be about.

Thus liquidity of rares is likely to fall a bit, which generally has negative impact on its price.

On the other side, it is very likely that the extreme profits merchants now make from trading other items will be invested in rares at some point, which will probably cause rares to bounce back up. Again, it remains difficult to predict this with confidence as this assumes the Adaptive Pricing System, etc will work appropriately, something I have to place huge question marks on.

I think he talked about rare merchanting, which I have to agree on, as most merchants are now making insane profits trading normal materials and such, rather than trading rares. Merchants will probably place less focus on rares (they already do) and the limitation of only being able to have 6 outstanding orders at a time forces them to make decisions on which items these orders will be about.

Thus liquidity of rares is likely to fall a bit, which generally has negative impact on its price.

On the other side, it is very likely that the extreme profits merchants now make from trading other items will be invested in rares at some point, which will probably cause rares to bounce back up. Again, it remains difficult to predict this with confidence as this assumes the Adaptive Pricing System, etc will work appropriately, something I have to place huge question marks on.

Oh, my bad :oops:

Does the GE have price ceilings and floors for rares? Because, if so, then though the price may fluctuate, it will always remain within a certain area.

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

Does the GE have price ceilings and floors for rares? Because, if so, then though the price may fluctuate, it will always remain within a certain area.

I doubt Jagex would do that.

While they have stated they won't remove rares, they HAVE stated they are against what they have become.

I don't see Jagex protecting rares beyond keeping them in the game.

"Here lies one whose name was writ in water."

rares have no use at all, and i'm sick of people saying everything is dying trying to be so dramatic...

if rares crash... well at least you still have an item that ... does... absolutely... nothing... ... oh wait, that's your fault for buying it. :wall:

starfox.jpg

Peppy: "Do a barrel roll!"

Fox: "That's your solution for everything..."

Peppy: "Just press Z or R twice!"

Fox: "No, Peppy..."

rares have no use at all, and i'm sick of people saying everything is dying trying to be so dramatic...

if rares crash... well at least you still have an item that ... does... absolutely... nothing... ... oh wait, that's your fault for buying it. :wall:

If investing in one at 150K and having it worth over 20 Mill now ISN'T a "use" I don't know what is......

I could either have 150K in my bank, or an item "worth" 20mill.

Some items HAVE a "use" option.

While other items ARE a "use" option.

"Here lies one whose name was writ in water."