Old Ways To Make Money?

Gwasha

As I was reading some of my old time money making schemes, I thought to myself, "What moron in their right mind would do this?" Have you ever felt this way when looking back at ways how you used to make money, or ways that you heard about?

Also, mainly, what were some of those methods that you can remember? Are they out of date now, are they still around, etc?

S2buxtG.png

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember, back when I started (about 6 months before the official release of RS2), that I used to mine ores, smith them into armor, and then sell them to shops. Then, when RS2 came out, for some reason it just wasn't a good money-maker anymore. I think it was from more people taking advantage of the new mining and smithing systems and loading up the stores, but I can't remember for sure.

As for looking back on this and other ways I've made money over the years, yeah, I have a few methods that were quite insane (think crafting 45k ess into air runes, without runners, on f2p :oops: ).

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

Mine silver for people ^_^

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I remember waaaay back in my noob days I used to make cakes by hand and sell them for 100gp each. Didn't make me a lot of money since lobbies and swordfish were better for PKing. >_>

Then I just mined or runecrafted like everyone else.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I remember I was so excited to have found a mining location (the one south-east of Varrock). Back then I had thought all mines were subterranean like the one on Tutorial Island... :oops:

I would spend days getting a full inventory of copper and tin, smelt them into bronze bars, smith them into whatever I could make and sell to the shops.

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.

buying silk and selling to clothes stores #-o (i thought around 5k an hour was good!)

and here is the uitimate winner :wall:

hanging around the green drags picking up random drops peopel left

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

I was so confidant in my brand new, dull Bronze armor I tried doing a 'delivery service' back when I started my first account. I asked if someone needed something taken to a friend somewhere, to give it to me and I'd bring it to them.

In retrospect it sounds like item scamming. :wall:

Still alive, still alive.

i used to mine coal at the barbarian village spot before it got removed, then i moved into the mining guild and did nothing but mine. i was about level 40 with 74 mining.

when that got removed my brother and i mined iron at rimmington when they were around 150-200ea.

steel bars were a good source of money if you made them from scratch also.

Definitely. I used to go into the wild and run around picking up things for "good money". I still remember back when I wasn't as good as I was, and many ways to make money averaging around 100k per hour was considered "good" to me. I think we all tried a few ways to make money that really weren't the best.

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg

Definitely. I used to go into the wild and run around picking up things for "good money". I still remember back when I wasn't as good as I was, and many ways to make money averaging around 100k per hour was considered "good" to me. I think we all tried a few ways to make money that really weren't the best.

100k an hour isnt good? :shock: 100k an hour is amazingggg money tbh.

Back in the classic days me and my friend would go the Chaos Druids Temple and get full invents of steel maces, trek back to Fally and sell them to the mace shop!

Power mining coal during the first version of the fatigue system was brilliant! Each ore was worth 1k and I spent a couple of hours one day just mining it and made 200k, buying me my first full set of rune! Which I lost the helm and kite about an hour later due to poisoning!

I wasn't very good at making money really, I just got by, and then years later in RS2 I ended up getting some rare drops which allowed me to invest in making my character better equipped and I could then move on to doing Barrows which was (and still is) a fantastic money maker!

Dark_Jab.png

I remember going from fally bank to rimmington mining spot, mining tin and copper or iron, then smelting it in fally, then smithing it in Doric's house, than selling whatever I made to the general store, than I deposited my cash in the bank, than I went back to Rimmington...over and over again...for 2-3 weeks...

And that, because the Lumby tutor told me it was a good moneymaker...

But I finally was able to buy this rune pickaxe :thumbsup:

WarBlastoise.png

When update counter popped up I always rushed to Port sarim's magic store/Rimmington's range store and bought cheap runes 'n sold to players for 50gp profit per item :mrgreen:

I used to fletch and alch yew longs. Wasn't great money, but I'm glad I did it because it got me a lot of magic levels I probably wouldn't have otherwise gotten until much later.

I also meleed and ranged blue dragons and sold the bones and hides after the level 70 agility pipe in Taverly came out. But that wasn't silly, I made pretty good money at that, and the exp didn't hurt.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

Haha, I remember when I first started (I was about ten) and like everyone else, I tried to look up cheats and money glitches online. One of the money tips I found was "Fish anchovies and cook them, then go to the end of the wilderness with a full load and sell them to the people there. They are a lot nicer and will be willing to pay loads for your food!". Another one was "Go to Karamja and keep picking up the air rune respawn behind the little shack."

Oh.. and picking up the runes from the dark knight's castle.

lol when i first started out, I'd kill cows, bank in al-kharid, then sell once i had 100+ for 200gps ea :thumbsup: i think thats how i bought my first bronze square lol. (<-- first item ever bought)

otherwise, just mine stuff or chop trees.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

I remember fishing lobs, cooking them then certing them back in the fishing guild. One time some guy accidentally bought some lob certs off me thinking they were sharks. Can't remember the exact price but I believe it may have been something silly like 10k a cert, I was happy that that 8-)

Note: I didn't scam him, he said "Anyone got any certs" I said yeah, and sold him mine, I didn't realise what he was doing, and he didn't check what certs they were.

Someone else above said this. I would mine my own things smelt them and smith them into stuff. The take those things can go sell them in the special stores they r sold in. It brought money which i thought was good back in the day and it raised my mining and smithing + making me more self sufficient. My goal was to smith rune armor where the staggering amount of profit caught my attention when i was a newb.

Then i read through some old guide where it said making profit by selling steel bars. I made the bars but could never find ppl to sell it to. U could make good money if u could find buyers. + since there werent many buyers nobody would know wat the street price is so the seller (me) could get ripped off. Now that the GE was made it is so simple to do this. bars r established as 600gp each and u can make good profit from them+ just buy ores on ge too. It is a good money making way for newbs starting out. it is painfully boring and slow leveling but it does bring ur first 200k to the bank. note that this requires 30smithing and once u have the starting money u could buy ores on ge but if u dont u have to mine ur own ores which is level 30. but doing quests can also help.

Oh.. and picking up the runes from the dark knight's castle.

Hahahaha, I did that one time waaaay back in Classic. I was probably around level 20, and heard about *GASP* free chaos runes!

Now, this was early enough in the game that I was nowhere near the only noob who thought a chaos rune spawn sounded great, especially on ftp, so it was pretty crowded up there. I was clicking rapidly to try to get it first after missing like 5 spawns, and somebody walked in front of my mouse. I accidentally attacked them and got skulled. Apologized profusely, ran away, and tried to exit the castle. Before I could reach the door, however, somebody about 5 or 10 levels over me who was already skulled attacked me and owned me badly. Keep in mind this is before A) you could eat during a battle, B) you could teleport during a battle (not that I had the ability to do either thing at the time), and C) run from a battle in the first three turns. In other words, the Wilderness was still dangerous, as it hasn't been since the release of RS2. I had been smart enough to only bring three items, but of course my skull made me lose them all- I think it was either black or mithril armor and battleaxe/longsword.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

The oldest and most nostalgic way to make money was to mine Coal, then cert it, then sell the certs at 2K a piece. (A certificate, or cert, was simply the item times five.)

Usually had anywhere from 3-400 certs for sale at any given time, and I think that's why I have such high mining now. Barely do any mining on RS nowadays; certs were really fun/nostalgic for me.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.