New runescape.com! = RS HD BETA

Toad

@Robin

They said it would be exactly the same actually.

http://news.runescape.com/newsitem.ws?id=1218

Second Paragraph, last sentence

"This will be in addition to the existing detail modes, as they will remain unchanged."

And where does it say that it wouldn't be the same? They did not give us any warnings.

It's assumed the Low and High Detail modes would be left alone because they said High Detail was OPTIONAL, they never said anything about changing the old Low and High detail too, as in the above quote from the article, from the RuneScape Site ITSELF.

When you have their word, or what you think it is, and then poof, Low and High Detail modes ARE changed, it means they mislead you. Enough of that "I assumed" crap, they gave us their word that the existing modes wouldn't be changed, and the opposite happens.

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with geekguy, they did say that the lower detail levels will remain the same. When I heard that HD was members only for now, I figured I could just go play normally until they decided to give to free players. Now however...I don't think I will until I can play in HD.

Fine, i give you that, but the second part of my argument still stands. The majority of people in Runescape appreciate the graphics. Getting mad about this is like getting mad about ANY graphics update in the history of runescape. What, did you like the incredibly low detailed dragons at the start of RS2? They got updated, things get updated. And for the majority of players it's a great thing. Some won't like it for one bitter reason or another, but the majority will. And the majority is what matters.

Quitting people have no affect on RS at all. Honestly, one account that quit because of the new graphics. There are 20 more new people looking at the graphics and subscribing. This update helps more than it hurts.

One other thing, the people that are quiting over these graphics were the same people saying "Runescape isn't about graphics" before the update.

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

I agree with geekguy, they did say that the lower detail levels will remain the same. When I heard that HD was members only for now, I figured I could just go play normally until they decided to give to free players. Now however...I don't think I will until I can play in HD.

Yeah, and it's not only that. It's almost like they're pressuring us to become member, they raise the prices and you don't want the "improved" bloated graphics and the new HD looks so much better than the old low and high detail modes that they altered...the only other thing to do is to either wait 'till the HD graphics are mainstream, or quit.

And, I don't have anything against HD, I think by itself it's a great update, I just hate it when they say it's optional and they won't change any old detail modes. Great, I can play as it is before. Oh, nope. They had to go change those settings too!

RU_Insane.png

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support

Fine, i give you that, but the second part of my argument still stands. The majority of people in Runescape appreciate the graphics. Getting mad about this is like getting mad about ANY graphics update in the history of runescape. What, did you like the incredibly low detailed dragons at the start of RS2? They got updated, things get updated. And for the majority of players it's a great thing. Some won't like it for one bitter reason or another, but the majority will. And the majority is what matters.

Quitting people have no affect on RS at all. Honestly, one account that quit because of the new graphics. There are 20 more new people looking at the graphics and subscribing. This update helps more than it hurts.

One other thing, the people that are quiting over these graphics were the same people saying "Runescape isn't about graphics" before the update.

You really don't get it, do you?

They could of had their cake and ate it too.

If they had of left the old graphics as an option, and also included the new graphics too. This way, new people would still come, and older players wouldn't leave.

Robin, are you talking about the new High Detail Graphics or the generic one? Because if you're talking about HD read my above post. If you're talking about overall you have a point and it stands-

but that does not change where I stand.

As I said in my above post I don't mind the introduction of a new high detail, I just don't want the old detail to be altered. You talk about early RS@ graphics. Well, when RS2 was released RS1 became RuneScape "Classic" and it is preserved, unchanged, left alone with. But in this case, you have the new HD graphics, but lo and behold, the original detail settings are changed as well.

It's like this "out with the old in with the new" mentality, you know?

And Robin, you raise another good point with your "RS isn't about graphics". That's true. That's one of the things that made RS stand out, it was different from its competitors. But now, I don't want to get used to the altering of the old details. I don't care about the HD because like I said before, it's a good update for most but please Jagex, leave the old details alone. >.>

@ Craven_Range-Thank you for backing up myself and other players who feel the same. Jagex could attract more players with the HD update and prevent older players from leaving by leaving the old settings alone. I bet if a thread with these points was made in the RSOF Jagex could reverse their decision, but then again with Jagex you never know. It happened with luring, but what about old LD and HD?

RU_Insane.png

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support

If they had of left the old graphics as an option, and also included the new graphics too. This way, new people would still come, and older players wouldn't leave.

But you see thats the thing. MOST of the older players aren't leaving either!More people are happy with these updates than mad at them. People like me were losing interest in Runescape and this update gave me and older players that sense of exploration again. The majority of people aren't leaving. Hell, some renewed their membership another few months because of this, and some even came back after quitting! They still had their cake and ate it. Just a few seniors got mad that the cake wasn't their favorite flavor.

Note: By the Seniors analogy i mean older players, not taking a jab at people.

@ Geekguy, but you see, they saved some of their old subscribers as well. People who were getting bored now renewed membership. And to the majority of people graphic updates are good. So this is better than the old rs to most people. Although i do understand that if they said they weren't going to change it they shouldn't have. But they probably thought that this was an even better choice. To some people it wasn't. To most it was.

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

Tbh, I don't think Im going to play Rs ever again. Even the low detail modes are screwed. Im not complaining though, its a foolproof way to quit.

2480+ total

But you see thats the thing. MOST of the older players aren't leaving either!More people are happy with these updates than mad at them. People like me were losing interest in Runescape and this update gave me and older players that sense of exploration again. The majority of people aren't leaving. Hell, some renewed their membership another few months because of this, and some even came back after quitting! They still had their cake and ate it. Just a few seniors got mad that the cake wasn't their favorite flavor.

Through all the glitches and whatnot we have with this new graphic introduction you actually think that?

The way your character walks like a constipated penguin.

The way you can't tell your character's gender because the male chest are forward.

Our over-sized heads, the wrong colors on some pieces of armor, and other over-sized/undersized objects, and numerous glitches.

Takes some getting used too if Jagex fixes this, but you think the bad side of this update is going to attract and yet keep players at the same time? Ha.

@ Highlanders- Thank you, you represent the minority (or at least Robin claims) of people who don't appreciate the generic aspects of this update. And btw I'm siding with you Highlanders, I feel the same way as you do.

RU_Insane.png

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support

All of those glitches will be fixed. Making an overview based on glitches isn't very smart. They are just that. Glitches. It hasn't even been 24 hours since these updates were out. More than likely these glitches will be sorted out.

Not to mention that this is a Beta. Glitches in beta are almost expected. That's why it's a Beta. They sort out all the glitches before releasing it to the general public.(The F2P)

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.

^ True that

Wow quiting because of a graphics update....hmmm -.-

I think people need to start looking into the near future, please dont just sit and whine about how horrible your life is because of this, it might get fixed it might not but some people are making it sound so bad ( Im looking at you RSOF #-o )

I think this new update with less lag and glitches would be a blessing, and an update to fix that is very possible because after all we are in a beta phase...

I do agree that they should've left the standard details alone...But hey, its not like the graphics are bad now its just that the lag and other stuff make it seems bad. After they fix that we will all get back to our normal playing ways.

I also believe this new graphics update will attract more people then make people leave ;)

----Hoping to get 94 mage soon!!!-----

add me : tantrum2525 (send me a message saying you're from tif)

annoyed. for some reason it refuses to run my Raidon 9200 grpahics card. the card runs WoW withot any errors (purchased the card from friend) but it says "you dont have the right blah"

how the blooming hell do i get the stupid system to respond to my graphics card please? realy want to play in HD here...

Popoto.~<3

annoyed. for some reason it refuses to run my Raidon 9200 grpahics card. the card runs WoW withot any errors (purchased the card from friend) but it says "you dont have the right blah"

how the blooming hell do i get the stupid system to respond to my graphics card please? realy want to play in HD here...

Be more specific with the error message and your system specs, and we'll see if something is not matching up.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I like the fullscreen game-play, its seems more like a client MMORPG!

Would be better if there was low + high detail for HD, esp. for the people who have "badder" computers.

You can edit the HD details and change things like if you want to see the roof of a building and such.

emflum5eq5.gif

PRIVATE CHAT ON My Blog

Dragon Drops:2 Chains, 4 Meds, 1 2H, 2 Left Halves, 2 Legs, 1 Skirt

Rate My Bank!

Playing Runescape at 1680x1050 res is almost enough incentive to re-buy my membership. And perhaps an excuse to buy a GTX 280... Agh, the screenshots look so pretty :?

Plus, in f2p my character looks like a violently twitching pile of clay.

Also, I find it odd that the beta is only being offered to members. Maybe Jagex (perhaps rightly) believe f2pers won't be as effective at weeding out bugs as members, but it strikes me as odd that something which will be available to everyone is, for the moment, being reserved for members. I'm beginning to think this beta might last for a while...

I've been playing all day, it ran perfect, now it says it can't find the 3d library.

According the jagex on the official forums that problem occurs when you try and load 2 instances of runescape hd.

So either you've got it open somewhere and are trying to load another window OR you comp is playing silly buggers and never quit the java applet properly

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue