Today...

Leoo

I just had the most surreal day of my life.

Some context. I spent the last three days at a holiday home of a friend of mine (holy crap, TIF went down?). It's a 45 minute drive there, and in the middle of nowhere, so a pretty nice place to relax with a bunch of friends. Had a great time there.

But then this morning came, and we had to drive back to the town I live in. I had two friends with me, and I was doing the driving. While we were driving down the highway at about 125-130 km/h (the limit is 120), the GPS fell off the windshield and into my lap. I got startled and distracted, and while I was trying to get the GPS off my lap, I started going to the left slightly. We were on the left lane, so when I noticed we were heading for the separation of the roads in the middle, I immediately tried to fix it by turning the steering wheel the other direction. At that speed, a sudden movement like that is impossible to control, so I ended up slipping a bit. I tried to quickly fix it back to the left, but I lost control and we went straight for the separation of the highway in the middle of it. This separation was basically a small hill (about 2 meters I'm thinking) made out of dirt. Our car drove into it, made a flip in the air, landed on the side and then fell down to its wheels. The engine was smoking so we immediately left the vehicle.

We were just incredibly lucky to have ended up where we did. We could have flown over that separation right into oncoming traffic, or have veered back into the lane we were driving in. We all somehow left the car completely unharmed, except for my front passenger who hit his head on the windshield and got a bruise. The car itself is lost though. Somehow, a fire truck passed by us only half a minute after the accident. They were on their way to another accident, but they ended up stopping and helping us first.

Holy shit you can't believe how happy I am to still be alive. There's a bunch of annoying consequences to it, and I really dread the moment my parents come back from vacation tomorrow to find a car missing in the driveway, but in the end, I feel all that matters is that we were all ok because this accident could have been a hundred times worse.

• Like 2

Today my kids and my ex-wife went to Comiccon here in Ottawa dressed up as Doctors 9, 10 and 11 with sonic screwdrivers and everything. When they went to see Wil Wheaton (yes, that Wil Wheaton) he was so impressed that he took their picture and tweeted it. My youngest even managed to angle his SS to create a lens flare that would make J.J. Abrams proud.

My kids are awesome! :grin:

• Like 3

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Party. At my best friend's house. Some people got wasted before 12 o'clock. Had to look out for some other people. Now I at least hope some people remember me as a trustworthy person who takes care of own people, sent some people home. But in other news, talked to a girl I had known about for years, but never really talked to. Really smokin' hot girl. Lived near the place where I am from, and as it happens just arrived at that party that I was at aswell. Gotta keep on trying.

In other news, failed at my English exam. Thoroughly.

And basketball match against me best mates on Monday. Strategically better for us to lose, and quite probably we will loose, since they have a dream team. But they have no team play whatsoever and if we manage to stop the fastbreaks, they will be teethless. But still, strategically IT IS BETTER for us to lose, so we won't be giving our fullest on Monday.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

What do you work as, and what tasks did you keep messing up?

Also, is it really bad that I thought "agility grad for his level 4 class" referred to a man who was part of a skillers clan maxing out at the advanced Gnome Stronghold in RuneScape?

I'm a welder/fabricator. I'm the "head" welder at the shop so I do the majority of the welding, but when it comes to the fabricating part I'm still fairly new at it. So all my [bleep] ups this week involved making mistakes in building different parts of a boat. A lot of them were simple things like cutting a piece too short or putting something in the wrong place. I've had days where things just always seem to go wrong, but a whole week of it was ridiculous. I think the stress of messing up so much just made me mess up even more. :(

That sounds more like a Siberian Husky

You've obviously put a lot more time and effort into training Ammo than we have into ours though. We (and everyone else I know who has one) settled for house training and giving them enough exercise to keep them from eating all the shoes. Any commands we taught them were kind of hit or miss about whether they felt like obeying at the time, or wanted to play instead.

Yea, his breed definitely showed last night. Though I honestly shouldn't be complaining, since that's the worst he's been in such a long period of time it should be considered a good thing. But just after such a horrible week at work it sucked to have that night be one of his worst nights.

I definitely put a lot of time and effort into him, as well as money <_< . I've probably put a minimum of $1000 just into training sessions. And on top of that I try to spend at least a half hour every day doing training with him, either agility or obedience. Though even with all the work that goes into him, the husky part still wins out a lot.

He especially loves when he's doing something bad and he knows he is in trouble but happens to be off leash so he knows there's not a lot I can do about it since there is no catching him. Those times are the worst because it's usually in an area where he's more likely to be in danger of things like cars (he loves to walk in the middle of the road like he owns the place).

Today was awesome. One of the pet store guys invited me out for drinks this afternoon so I met up with him at a bar for a couple of drinks. Then I ran home to feed the pets and came back into time for some more drinking with the guys. We went back to the same house we went to last week. It was so much fun. And I was less awkward than last weekend so that made it even better. Definitely made up for the shit week. :D

I just had the most surreal day of my life.

Some context. I spent the last three days at a holiday home of a friend of mine (holy crap, TIF went down?). It's a 45 minute drive there, and in the middle of nowhere, so a pretty nice place to relax with a bunch of friends. Had a great time there.

But then this morning came, and we had to drive back to the town I live in. I had two friends with me, and I was doing the driving. While we were driving down the highway at about 125-130 km/h (the limit is 120), the GPS fell off the windshield and into my lap. I got startled and distracted, and while I was trying to get the GPS off my lap, I started going to the left slightly. We were on the left lane, so when I noticed we were heading for the separation of the roads in the middle, I immediately tried to fix it by turning the steering wheel the other direction. At that speed, a sudden movement like that is impossible to control, so I ended up slipping a bit. I tried to quickly fix it back to the left, but I lost control and we went straight for the separation of the highway in the middle of it. This separation was basically a small hill (about 2 meters I'm thinking) made out of dirt. Our car drove into it, made a flip in the air, landed on the side and then fell down to its wheels. The engine was smoking so we immediately left the vehicle.

We were just incredibly lucky to have ended up where we did. We could have flown over that separation right into oncoming traffic, or have veered back into the lane we were driving in. We all somehow left the car completely unharmed, except for my front passenger who hit his head on the windshield and got a bruise. The car itself is lost though. Somehow, a fire truck passed by us only half a minute after the accident. They were on their way to another accident, but they ended up stopping and helping us first.

Holy shit you can't believe how happy I am to still be alive. There's a bunch of annoying consequences to it, and I really dread the moment my parents come back from vacation tomorrow to find a car missing in the driveway, but in the end, I feel all that matters is that we were all ok because this accident could have been a hundred times worse.

Damn dude. Glad you're okay.

• Like 2

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

Yay. Mid of May and there is ice and frost outside. [bleep] me.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

oh hey it's duff

been busy with AP tests. took my 3rd today (lit) and have two more to go D:

Hey man. How'd the college application process go for you?

Pretty well I'd say, headed to UW in a few months!

---

Haven't been doing anything these past few days, just lots of studying. Went to a free concert last night with some pretty decent bands, got another show lined up for Friday.

Hit with the flu. Feel like shit. It's probably a good thing I caught it now and not 3 weeks later since I go on a plane to Fiji in mid-June

Also blog update (in sig) and found this comic maker describing EXACTLY what it's like being me gay-wise, and trying to meet other guys. http://adventuresingay.tumblr.com/

Popoto.~<3

So on Saturday I managed to sleep in 3 hours for work, and only started 2 hours 20 minutes late. I didn't even get yelled at, not even by a customer. However, I'm never going to do that again, had to go all-out to get everything I could deliver to places before they shut up shop. Didn't even get breakfast till 3pm.

Today my kids and my ex-wife went to Comiccon here in Ottawa dressed up as Doctors 9, 10 and 11 with sonic screwdrivers and everything. When they went to see Wil Wheaton (yes, that Wil Wheaton) he was so impressed that he took their picture and tweeted it. My youngest even managed to angle his SS to create a lens flare that would make J.J. Abrams proud.

My kids are awesome! :grin:

Your ex-wife's not bad either. :wink:

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Finally won this point&shoot film camera on Ebay I've been wanting for a while now. It took a couple months to get one within my budget, but I managed to do it. It's a Contax T2 if anyone is interested.

tFtfA.jpg

I feel really bad about not responding to so many posts, but I read them all. Many feels, glad Distracted is okay!

I just got home from a shift that lasted 43 of the last 57 hours. Give or take.

Forgive my shortness, I'll try to catch up with everything TIF related soon.

Happy mother's day ya'll!

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Sounds like quite the day Distracted. Wouldn't tell any authorities you were going over the limit, though the gps might be able to snitch on you, since insurance companies will charge you more for a very long time if they know you speed (they already charge you more for being male, no need to justify that to them :P). Normally it's an issue for speeding tickets, or pretty much any citation about your driving.

Still helping my parents with packing up on weekends. I listen to my phone at night as part of how I sleep, and here the thing I set it on has a bit of a lip, which I assume is why it's not on the floor constantly (I have a headband with speakers in it). I assume that's teh problem anyway since I had to start putting it under the other pillow at their place because I kept turning over too much and having it land on the floor, which I'm sure is brilliant for it. Also started watching the Game of Thrones with them, so I guess now I don't really have a choice, I need to start reading the books, so at the very least I'll be trying to get ahead since we are already 6/10 through season one.

Steve, awesome getting the camera you are after. Curious to know why you were after it though, unless you have a camera collection I don't know about.

Your ex-wife's not bad either. :wink:

*shhh* The last thing her ego needs is more inflating. :lol:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Sounds like quite the day Distracted. Wouldn't tell any authorities you were going over the limit, though the gps might be able to snitch on you, since insurance companies will charge you more for a very long time if they know you speed (they already charge you more for being male, no need to justify that to them :P). Normally it's an issue for speeding tickets, or pretty much any citation about your driving.

I discovered something new about the speedometers in cars though, on the way to that holiday home. Apparently, older cars tend to have inaccurate speedometers that always add some speed. The GPS is the one that has the correct speed, and it's almost always exactly 10 km/h lower than the speed on my speedometer, so speeding isn't an issue. And the insurance company doesn't even really have something to pay for: the car's lost but that's the only damage that's been done.

Unless you have the worst car insurance policy ever, writing off a car means they compensate you for whatever the car was worth, which is quite common since cars involved in accidents quite often are worth less than the cost to fix them (fender benders and other low speed collisions are exceptions, but pretty much anything at road speed is a guaranteed write off).

In the United States, a speedometer is allowed up to a 10% margin of error in additional speed, and allowed no margin of error for under reporting. As a result, all speedometers will overestimate by design, to make sure they are compliant My understanding is that this tends to be worse in newer luxury cars, with many older cars and economy cars being the most accurate. As you said though, if you really want to know, use a GPS. They are significantly more accurate. I am unsure of the margins for other countries, but I would expect them to be similar.

I didn't get the research job I interviewed for. I'll be honest, I'm pretty upset since it would have been great money and looked great on my resume, but I'm also kind of relieved. I know that's ridiculous, but whatever. I still need to find a job though, so that's going to be a pain in the ass.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I didn't get the research job I interviewed for. I'll be honest, I'm pretty upset since it would have been great money and looked great on my resume, but I'm also kind of relieved. I know that's ridiculous, but whatever. I still need to find a job though, so that's going to be a pain in the ass.

Same here. Becoming a pain in the arse too. :\

• Like 1

Popoto.~<3

For the first time Ever, I'm outside Canada. Arrived yesterday night in France, and today is kind of a welcome day, since now I'm an international student, and I start work tomorrow. I guess all is good!

• Like 2

Ewwwww. Eurovision.

Everybody vote for no. 2.

And songs are terrible.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

*sigh* Spending my day off researching and writing an essay...

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Chris Hadfield is my GOD.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc