Today...

Leoo

I do not begrudge people their fun just because it's not my thing :P I just don't visit very often because I never post there, nor do I remember all the major posters on a thread I've not looked at in ages.

It was shut down for the reasons stated in the lock message. We gave the thread too much leniency, and in return we were met with enduring hostility when we started trying to reign in any of the rule breaking, since it had been decided that none of the rules applied to that thread. Don't think that was the desirable outcome for us to lock that thread. We do the best we can, but we are not always able to bring every situation that comes up here to a happy ending. It has nothing to do with us getting a kick out of raining on peoples parades, and everything to do with our having rules.

As to the rules, it's also our job to listen to the community and what they want, and do our best to keep the rules in accordance to what makes our users happy, as well as what is best for the health and future of the site and forums themselves (and it's an absolute joy juggling those two things, trust me). In the interests of the site, we don't allow spam threads for exactly the same reason LOTPW was locked, and essentially the same reason Jagex has removed Rants a few times (and why they should stop giving it back). It is really easy to accidentally 'create' sub-populations that end up feeling that because they are close knit, or largely keeping to one section, that the rules stop applying to them, or that they get to make their own rules. It is much easier to give someone a privilege than it is to take it away. People welcome the former, and they fight you for the latter. In situations where people can post whatever they want, this problem tends to crop up much faster. The guys in rants overtime noticed that they could get away with more and more until it was whatever they wanted, and it gets to the point that an fmod locking a single thread for blatantly breaking the rules ends with a whole bunch of players being muted by the time the dust settles, because enforcing the rules in rants is treated as a breech of their sovereignty. I have yet to see anyone anywhere find a graceful solution, a way to bring people back under the rules, without ultimately resorting to heavy force (in the forms of locks, or axing entire sections). Not that the moderators of the world wont keep trying to find a way, but I don't think anyone has figured it out yet.

Was there even a legitimate reason for killing LOTPW? It seemed to boil down to admins hating fun.

The mods just hate fun.

so uh

whats the over under on my whole reign of despair thing

I'm cool with it.

• Like 1

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

as an ex mod, locking LOTPW was completely justified, and I actually liked the thread. by the end the majority of the regulars were behaving like spoiled little kids and posting like it was 4chan

anyway, today I went to work, and drank bears, and watched hockey

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Aced my history exam, the question was fantastic. Because of our course we can get away with only learning and revising 3/4 of the course and I got rather lucky and got the topic that I had revised in the most detail.

Because of exams I haven't been to the gym in two weeks, so getting back into the schedule may be difficult. I had previously been going every day. Further to that, I want to begin cross country training. I have always been rather thin, so I am now putting more meat into my diet - loaded up on lamb/venison as I don't eat beef and I don't particularly like chicken as it's pretty bland.

I am getting sick of owning a mac, and am looking to build a computer over the holidays. If I sell my mac I will have a budget of around £1000, which is like $1500 dollars. Just been looking at gaming builds, then just adding extra ram so it's more suited to everyday activities. Torn between getting i7 quad core 3.6 ghz or i5 with beefier GPU.

qTLQRuS.png

Because of exams I haven't been to the gym in two weeks, so getting back into the schedule may be difficult. I had previously been going every day.

Going to begin cross country training/ farmers walks.

I am getting sick of owning a mac, and am looking to build a computer over the holidays. If I sell my mac I will have a budget of around £1000, which is like $1500 dollars. Just been looking at gaming builds, then just adding extra ram so it's more suited to everyday activities. Torn between getting i7 quad core 3.6 ghz or i5 with beefier GPU.

I built my brother a computer with the higher end i5s and a dedicated GPU and honestly there's no noticeable difference between his and mine (a Core i7), CPU-wise. His limiting factor is his GPU.

ozXHe7P.png

I built my brother a computer with the higher end i5s and a dedicated GPU and honestly there's no noticeable difference between his and mine (a Core i7), CPU-wise. His limiting factor is his GPU.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

The 660 TI is what I'm looking at. And I could afford that with an i7, but I'm wondering whether it's really worth such a low increase. I can't afford a titan.

-

Also, I have an English exam tomorrow. I have not revised but have gotten a B in the mock, so I am confident in doing well.

qTLQRuS.png

I do not begrudge people their fun just because it's not my thing :P I just don't visit very often because I never post there, nor do I remember all the major posters on a thread I've not looked at in ages.

It was shut down for the reasons stated in the lock message. We gave the thread too much leniency, and in return we were met with enduring hostility when we started trying to reign in any of the rule breaking, since it had been decided that none of the rules applied to that thread. Don't think that was the desirable outcome for us to lock that thread. We do the best we can, but we are not always able to bring every situation that comes up here to a happy ending. It has nothing to do with us getting a kick out of raining on peoples parades, and everything to do with our having rules.

As to the rules, it's also our job to listen to the community and what they want, and do our best to keep the rules in accordance to what makes our users happy, as well as what is best for the health and future of the site and forums themselves (and it's an absolute joy juggling those two things, trust me). In the interests of the site, we don't allow spam threads for exactly the same reason LOTPW was locked, and essentially the same reason Jagex has removed Rants a few times (and why they should stop giving it back). It is really easy to accidentally 'create' sub-populations that end up feeling that because they are close knit, or largely keeping to one section, that the rules stop applying to them, or that they get to make their own rules. It is much easier to give someone a privilege than it is to take it away. People welcome the former, and they fight you for the latter. In situations where people can post whatever they want, this problem tends to crop up much faster. The guys in rants overtime noticed that they could get away with more and more until it was whatever they wanted, and it gets to the point that an fmod locking a single thread for blatantly breaking the rules ends with a whole bunch of players being muted by the time the dust settles, because enforcing the rules in rants is treated as a breech of their sovereignty. I have yet to see anyone anywhere find a graceful solution, a way to bring people back under the rules, without ultimately resorting to heavy force (in the forms of locks, or axing entire sections). Not that the moderators of the world wont keep trying to find a way, but I don't think anyone has figured it out yet.

Okay, I guess I already posted about this, and I kind of told myself I wouldn't go into it anymore, but...

The half of /FG/ that moved to another forum doesn't really have any trouble. They're certainly more tame than when we were all together here on TIF, even though that half contains all the biggest problem people except 321. It's not like a laissez-faire attitude is completely unworkable attitude, even on the internet. And I think a lot of what was really annoying about it was how we couldn't discuss the reasons for post removal/bans with mods as a community, more than the post removal/bans themselves. It got old wanting to know *why* someone was banned, when they themselves didn't know, and the mods wouldn't talk to us. I understand the reasoning, and did then too, probably more than the others, but that's really one of the big things that didn't sit well with us.

So it wasn't just, "Oh, they're taking away our happy free time, what meanies!" It was, "No, you can't have a discussion or conversation with us about the rules in hopes of changing them, our rules are set hard and fast and you can not question them or else you'll be banned/censored."

Argh, I'm sorry, I don't really want to bring this up again and start another argument about it, but I can't just leave it. Sorry Randox, I know you don't really want to deal with this either.

• Like 1

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

The moderation of LOTPW was horrible, and it's a shame. I loved that thread and the people in it. But the mods got so hung up on needing to remove spam for the sake of it being spam, despite it not hurting anyone, that they eventually just got fed up and decided to constantly police the thread and turned themselves into big scary authority figures. It was a [bleep]ing thread in an obscure subforum of a runescape off-topic board, it was literally bothering no one.

But I've come to expect no less from certain members of TIF's moderation team after all these years. :roll:

• Like 2

Okay, I guess I already posted about this, and I kind of told myself I wouldn't go into it anymore, but...

The half of /FG/ that moved to another forum doesn't really have any trouble. They're certainly more tame than when we were all together here on TIF, even though that half contains all the biggest problem people except 321. It's not like a laissez-faire attitude is completely unworkable attitude, even on the internet. And I think a lot of what was really annoying about it was how we couldn't discuss the reasons for post removal/bans with mods as a community, more than the post removal/bans themselves. It got old wanting to know *why* someone was banned, when they themselves didn't know, and the mods wouldn't talk to us. I understand the reasoning, and did then too, probably more than the others, but that's really one of the big things that didn't sit well with us.

So it wasn't just, "Oh, they're taking away our happy free time, what meanies!" It was, "No, you can't have a discussion or conversation with us about the rules in hopes of changing them, our rules are set hard and fast and you can not question them or else you'll be banned/censored."

Argh, I'm sorry, I don't really want to bring this up again and start another argument about it, but I can't just leave it. Sorry Randox, I know you don't really want to deal with this either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeIgu3BQS7w

• Like 4

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Deiced to shave my head today. I really don't know why but I did. I always liked short hair on me because I found it more comfortable...so this is a new experience.

[hide]2uh0hh0.jpg[/hide]

• Like 1

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

A thought. I've noticed that on coffee mugs with logos and what not, the logo always seems to be on the left side, if the handle is pointed towards you. Since I don't see people drink from mugs very often, and I've never thought to note it when I do see it, so most people (that is, do many right handed people) drink from mugs with the left hand?

I guess I'll have to watch now, but I thought most people drank in general from the right hand (and on a correctly set table, your glass is always top right), so it just seems odd that the logos are universally positioned so that the logo/best part is forever facing the person who can't see it when using the mug. Why not put the focus on the right, where other people can see it (since if your drinking right handed, the left side is also facing the user when they set it down).

The moderation of LOTPW was horrible, and it's a shame. I loved that thread and the people in it. But the mods got so hung up on needing to remove spam for the sake of it being spam, despite it not hurting anyone, that they eventually just got fed up and decided to constantly police the thread and turned themselves into big scary authority figures. It was a [bleep]ing thread in an obscure subforum of a runescape off-topic board, it was literally bothering no one.

But I've come to expect no less from certain members of TIF's moderation team after all these years. :roll:

It reminds me of how the admins treated the tavern back a couple years ago. They were so hung up on us going of topic on our own threads that they disabled post count for the subforum, despite it probably having some of the longest average posts on all of tip.it, and made it clear that they disliked the way we used the board. They'd also lock and move threads that they felt didn't belong there, like a post I made trying to organize a game of AoE.

They did a similar thing to DGS and the xpwaste groups on the RS boards too. I think there is an Admin who doesn't like the idea of groups of users forming their own mini-communities within the site.

(This is the last I'll say on this topic)

I'm boycotting Throwback Thursdays, and implementing Bring the Funk Fridays.

• Like 2

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Just went to see Fast 6 with a few friends. Great film, and I really enjoyed it, but it was probably a bad idea to watch it considering I was in an accident two weeks ago. After we got out of the theatre I suddenly felt incredibly tense and nervous. We were by car but I had to skip the car ride a bit and I walked to catch up to my friends who were on their way to grab a drink before heading home. I still feel really strange.

That awkward moment when you've sorta become a booty-call but can't because you live with your parents and its insanely awkward. /firstworldsexproblems

super-stoked about when my camera gets here. I'm thinking of taking a trip to Sydney one weekend and do some shoots.

Popoto.~<3

So my girlfriend is almost definitely leaving me for someone else. I feel like I am dying. I don't know what to do.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

What makes you say that?

I know it sounds horrible to hear, but if she's going to leave you like that, it probably wasn't a relationship worth investing much into, and there's plenty of better girls who you could strike up a better relationship with. The inverse point of view is this: You try and stop this girl from leaving you, and spend a lot of time and a lot of effort trying to piece together a relationship which you know is cracking apart.

Don't focus on what you're feeling right now, focus on your near future and the many happy opportunities it will offer.

It's official now, we're participating in a battle of the bands next Friday. Judging from the e-mail conversation I had with one of the organizers it's pretty amateuristic, but it still looks like fun nonetheless. According the guy who signed us in in the first place, we actually have a chance of winning: he says the other bands aren't that good. I'm curious, that's for sure.

What makes you say that?

I know it sounds horrible to hear, but if she's going to leave you like that, it probably wasn't a relationship worth investing much into, and there's plenty of better girls who you could strike up a better relationship with. The inverse point of view is this: You try and stop this girl from leaving you, and spend a lot of time and a lot of effort trying to piece together a relationship which you know is cracking apart.

Don't focus on what you're feeling right now, focus on your near future and the many happy opportunities it will offer.

We've been together two and a half years and been through a ton together, I've already invested a lot. I honestly love her more than anything in the world.

This isn't the place to talk about this though.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp