The New Shields

TheAncient

Mods: if this belongs in the other post, please lock. I'm thinking that these shields have their own discussion value based on the fact that they deal with combat, not the quest.

With the Summer's End quest jagex introduced 4 new shields, all priced more than the DFS. They all can only be obtained by killing perhaps the only un-soloable monster in RS.

Here's the stats on the Shields:

spiritsvp7.png

The Divine and Elysian shields have special properties:

* Divine spirit shield

30% - or as much as if possible if 30% is more than your current amount of Prayer points - of any damage you take is removed. Half of this 30% is deducted from your Prayer instead, while the other half is ignored completely.

* Elysian spirit shield

70% chance of reducing the damage you receive by 25%.

Prices:

Divine: 85M

Elysian: 85M

Arcane: 65M

Spectral: 65M

[hide=Commentary]Here are my two cents:

Divine: THE best defense shield in the game, but over time will cost more to use than Elysian.

30% Damage reduction on all attacks is like protecting against all 3 forms of combat in PvP. I'm kind of going crazy that they would introduce such a high reduction rate... solo Bandos is considerably easier now that Graardor will only hit 20 instead of 30 on me. I would say it is worth its 80M price tag. Plus I'd rather much have this shield than the ability to summon a silly unicorn :lol:

The drawbacks are that it is expensive to use this special ability. Because the damage reduction also drains your prayer, you would need a high prayer level and a lot of extra prayer pots to effectively use this shield. With that said, if you have 80 prayer (which restores ~27? prayer points per ppot dose), each dose (worth ~2K) "heals" you 54 damage. This is cheaper than sharks, plus you don't have to eat. In addition you can hold 4 * 54 = 200 HP of "healing" per inventory spot. This is 3 times the amount that a brew could hold.

Analysis for 99 prayer: 33 prayer points per ppot dose = 66 damage healed for 2K = 66*4 = 264 HP of healing per invent spot.

Another point is that you need to carefully use this technique. If you lapse in concentration it might drain your prayer too low.

Also the fact that it is attack-neutral (i.e. doesn't cost you range or mage attack points) makes it a better shield for rangers and magers.

Elysian: The "welfare" version of Divine

70% of all hits will be reduced in damage by 25%. Not as good as 30% damage reduction on everything, but you don't have to pay anything for it. Even so, the 25% on 70% is still a lot and trumps the DFS imo.

Although I would say the Elysian is more practical for camping at places; it doesn't require ppots (and thus, invent spaces). So Elysian would be useful for something like DK's while Divine would be useful for something like solo Graardor. It's also useful for people who don't want to continually buy prayer pots...

Also the fact that it is attack-neutral (i.e. doesn't cost you range or mage attack points) makes it a better shield for rangers and magers.

Spectral: Castle Warrer's new favorite toy

+30 Mage defense, lol. The max mage defense is now over 210, and meleers can reasonably obtain 70 magic defense.

Arcane

Best mage's shield in the game, about all you can say. +30 mage attack versus DFS and you only lose ~20 defense points.[/hide]

Questions I'd like to bring up about the new shields:

-- How do the new shields affect the combat system?

-- Are they worth their price tags?

-- How comparable are they to DFS?

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So...

Arcane shield = 20+ magic attack bonus. (65m)

Divine shield = 30% - or as much as if possible if 30% is more than your current amount of Prayer points - of any damage you take is removed. Half of this 30% is deducted from your Prayer instead, while the other half is ignored completely. (A bit better stab, slash, crush and ranged bonus than Arcane and Spectral) (85m)

Elysian shield = 70% chance of reducing the damage you receive by 25%. (A bit better stab, slash, crush and ranged bonus than Arcane and Spectral) (85m)

Spectral shield = + 30 magic def bonus. (others have +2) (65m)

I don't really care about the Spectral and Arcane shield, but the other two are interesting.

Divine is good for places where there's a prayer altar nearby, Elysian's effect makes it the best defence shield, spectral and arcane are good for places where you want mage def or offence boosts with some other defence too (castle wars). The high summoning defences make them good for duel tournaments.

DFS stays the usual choice for most people though.

And remember that the prices are off still, we don't know if they'd be worth 20m or 200m after a few months time.

TBH the shields hefty price tag will drop because defensivily the DFS is better. IMO meleers will still be using the DFS but rangers/mages may choose one of the new shields

kingvictor13.png

GWD Drops- Sara Swords-3 Sara Hilt-2 Zammy Hilt-1 Zammy Spears-3 Arma Helms- 2 Arma Skirt-2 Arma body-2

I gud Pk

Here are my two cents:

Divine: THE best defense shield in the game, but over time will cost more to use than Elysian.

30% Damage reduction on all attacks is like protecting against all 3 forms of combat in PvP. I'm kind of going crazy that they would introduce such a high reduction rate... solo Bandos is considerably easier now that Graardor will only hit 20 instead of 30 on me. I would say it is worth its 80M price tag. Plus I'd rather much have this shield than the ability to summon a silly unicorn :lol:

The drawbacks are that it is expensive to use this special ability. Because the damage reduction also drains your prayer, you would need a high prayer level and a lot of extra prayer pots to effectively use this shield. With that said, if you have 80 prayer (which restores ~27? prayer points per ppot dose), each dose (worth ~2K) "heals" you 54 damage. This is cheaper than sharks, plus you don't have to eat. In addition you can hold 4 * 54 = 200 HP of "healing" per inventory spot. This is 3 times the amount that a brew could hold.

Analysis for 99 prayer: 33 prayer points per ppot dose = 66 damage healed for 2K = 66*4 = 264 HP of healing per invent spot.

Another point is that you need to carefully use this technique. If you lapse in concentration it might drain your prayer too low.

Elysian: The "welfare" version of Divine

70% of all hits will be reduced in damage by 25%. Not as good as 30% damage reduction on everything, but you don't have to pay anything for it. Even so, the 25% on 70% is still a lot and trumps the DFS imo.

Although I would say the Elysian is more practical for camping at places; it doesn't require ppots (and thus, invent spaces). So Elysian would be useful for something like DK's while Divine would be useful for something like solo Graardor. It's also useful for people who don't want to continually buy prayer pots...

Spectral: Castle Warrer's new favorite toy

+30 Mage defense, lol. The max mage defense is now over 210, and meleers can reasonably obtain 70 magic defense.

Arcane

Best mage's shield in the game, about all you can say. +30 mage attack versus DFS and you only lose ~20 defense points.

sigcopyaf.png

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I can see two of those being great for cw.

Probably Spectral and Elysian

sigcopyaf.png

I think the prices sound right for early-adopters. I.e. it's gonna drop, but people that have to get new equip on release will pay it.

The blessed spirit shield.. well it's the same price as a dfs for vastly reduced def and no str bonus. It's basically a d sq with a little pray bonus. I'd expect that to fall to the 1m mark. The two 65mil shields i can see dropping sub-10m before too long too, they are unique in a melee shield in that they offer amazing mage att/def, but there's little demand for those stats to justify a huge price tag. The two 85m shields i'm not too sure on though. The elyssian one could well hold it's price or even rise. If you want pure damage reduction it cant be beaten. The fairly high requirements - the quests need to be done/fairly high stats etc and also the lack of a str bonus could hold it back. time will tell i guess.

red-mask-sig.gif?t=1238621802

MSSW4Banner.gif

DFS is still way better.

Hell, I'd even prefer a Crystal Shield to the new ones (people forgot about that item?)

My honest opinion; Overpriced items.

Um what. Lol in PvP Divine is just like protecting against all three forms of combat (prot prayers are 40% damage reduction, divine is 30%)

Personally, I see all of them dropping below the DFS.

People buy the DFS (the demand for it) is the +strength bonus, people rather have +strength than anything else.

I'll bet you my 3rd melee set they won't, lol. And no... DFS is most useful for rangers/magers who don't really care about strength bonus. People that use DFS for the strength bonus should really be using defender.. +20 attack > +2 str.

I think the prices sound right for early-adopters. I.e. it's gonna drop, but people that have to get new equip on release will pay it.

The blessed spirit shield.. well it's the same price as a dfs for vastly reduced def and no str bonus. It's basically a d sq with a little pray bonus. I'd expect that to fall to the 1m mark. The two 65mil shields i can see dropping sub-10m before too long too, they are unique in a melee shield in that they offer amazing mage att/def, but there's little demand for those stats to justify a huge price tag. The two 85m shields i'm not too sure on though. The elyssian one could well hold it's price or even rise. If you want pure damage reduction it cant be beaten. The fairly high requirements - the quests need to be done/fairly high stats etc and also the lack of a str bonus could hold it back. time will tell i guess.

Sub-10M I dont see as too likely considering people were willing to pour millions into CW equipment. ZGS is almost exclusively used for CW.

sigcopyaf.png

Interesting question to bring up:

Who would win:

Rune Cbow + Divine vs. AGS (foodpots on)

Whip + Divine vs. AGS (foodpots on)

sigcopyaf.png

like 3hitu said, their way overpriced. I'm more concern about this replacing gwd and lowering the godswords prices cause their 2hs and these are shields.

anyone else?

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

For what they do, right now they do seem overpriced.

but DFS cannot even start to compare with the Divine/Elysian shield in terms of raw defence value, because you lose at most 20 stats out of around 400 (5% loss) and in return you get up to 30% damage reduction, which is in effect 42% increase in defence value, which equates to, if by defence values only, beats DFS by over 100 points.

Sure you are slightly more likely to get hit, but because you receive less damage, overall you take less damage.

DFS still has its uses however due to its 7 strength and anti-fire capabilities, but overall, D/ESS beats DFS by a long shot

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Well, I was almost right when I guessed what they'd do. I'm still very impressed. The Elysian Shield could be amazing on Slayer tasks where you take tons of damage. The Divine shield and a whip is probably the best solo equipment for just about any boss monster. Arcane could be used for DK mages. Spectral for Castle Wars (that's all I can think of).

This is a pretty great update. I'd expect the Divine and Elysian shields to stay right where they are in terms of price.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Um, anyone who's wanting to kill that spirit beast effectively is going to need one of those shields...and since that would be probably the most beneficial piece of equipment in killing the beast that has multiple drops over 50m, it's going to be in high demand for anyone who wants to kill it (if the prices go up any, more and more people will want in on it)...

My conclusion is that the 2 damage reduction shields will be in high demand as they are going to be wanted to kill the beast, while the other 2 shields will be in high demand for their magic attack/defense bonuses.

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

First annual Clausmas - 2009 December 25

I agree with 3 Hit U. These shields are currently overpriced. I also agree that many people see the stats and go "0mgwtfz0r no str bonuses!!!!111!1" and consequently overlook them.

I predict that the Elysian Shield will settle at around 50-60m, Divine at around 40-50m, Arcane at 10-20m, and Spectral at 5-15m. The Divine Shield is a bit overrated, as in PvP you put yourself at heavy risk of being smited out, and in PvM, you can have your prayer drop and be KOed.

td2sig.jpg

Anyone also notices it's little weight? - From the normal shield (and assume also the better ones) it's only 2kg! - new skiller's choice instead of a saradomin book?

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I agree with 3 Hit U. These shields are currently overpriced. I also agree that many people see the stats and go "0mgwtfz0r no str bonuses!!!!111!1" and consequently overlook them.

I predict that the Elysian Shield will settle at around 50-60m, Divine at around 40-50m, Arcane at 10-20m, and Spectral at 5-15m. The Divine Shield is a bit overrated, as in PvP you put yourself at heavy risk of being smited out, and in PvM, you can have your prayer drop and be KOed.

it's a bit different. I think jagex's idea with divine was that you'd be constantly eating ppots instead of food... you would watch your prayer just as much as you would watch your hp

sigcopyaf.png

umm, why does everyone think the usefulness of these shields has any role in what the price of these items will be? Is 3rd age really THAT good? Are animal masks better than dragon med? The practicality is and will be for quite some time quite second nature in determining the pricetag- people don't buy them because they need them, but because they want them- they want a shield that is very special and needs 2 very rare drops from an unsoloable lvl 785 beast to create.

They will probably sell for 3a quite some time.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.