The New Shields

TheAncient

Another boss drop I can't afford. :P These are very nice items, but until they drop I doubt many people will risk buying them.

you dont know rs very well do you?

:lol:

He's right though Ross, rich players on RS (of which there are surprisingly many) will pay obscene amounts of money to be the or one of the first people to have a new item. The first pairs of D boots were sold for over 20m but by the end of the day they were below 2m per pair and by the next day around 800k. The people have money to spend and they want to spend it lol.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simulating 100 *hits* of damage, between 0 and 30

I have assumed there is an equal chance to hit any number from 0 to 30

Apparently someone felt my other reply was inappropriate and deleted it, so I'll make my response again.

What I highlighted in bold is the exact question I asked you to begin with. Assuming an equal chance of any damage between 0 and 30 means that the average damage is 15, which is also obviously the midpoint damage. In many situations, this is far from the truth. At GWD, you take two rounds from the level 130 minions to every one round dealt by the boss. So to begin with, lower level monsters are engaging in combat with you twice as often as a high level one. Also, using arma as an example, you protect from the ranged attack and only take the magic ones, so that means the boss engages in unprevented combat even less often than half of the time.

One situation I can probably think of where the average damage would be close to the median is KQ. There you are usually only in combat with the KQ and it seems like her highest hits are just as likely as the lowest ones. In fact, it might be more likely to get hit for higher damage, which would make the shield function ABOVE the 17.5% average damage prevented. However, I think most people would agree with me in saying that in most situations in RS, you take a LOT of lower damages/0s compared to the above-median damages.

Also though, IF the shield ignores zeros, its functionality would be much more impressive.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Your data set seems a little off. the comparison isnt 0-30 having equal chances, its 1-30 having equal chances.

It may not seem like alot, but that extra percentile makes the difference, because hits of 0 dont affect anything, because you cant know if the hits are effected anyway.

Besides that, I seem to notice I'm hit for 0's far more often than actually taking damage.

If you're basing your calculations on a set of 0-30, thats why your numbers are incorrect. whether the effect happens on 0's or not doesnt matter, as each hit is independent of any other hit.

Just because you have a 70% chance to work, doesnt mean a failed activation guarantees activation on the next hit received. EVERY hit has a 70% chance to be rudeced, whether than hit is 0 or not wont affect the average, because it doesnt decrease the chance that the next hit will be a succeful reduction.

the proper assumption is that all LANDED hits (1-n; n being the highest possible value) have equal chance of occuring. your armour rating directly affects how many will land, therefore the chance of 0> than the chance of any hit from 1-n.

exceptions include enemies who ignore prayer/armour.

speaking of ignoring armour; does this shields affect work vs verac's set effect? if so, pvp just got shaken up.

Reverents can be a pain, but you can run away from them. Just curious, do they still have teleblocking ability?

Fear the church, the reverents have 85 magic!!!!

umm, why does everyone think the usefulness of these shields has any role in what the price of these items will be? Is 3rd age really THAT good? Are animal masks better than dragon med? The practicality is and will be for quite some time quite second nature in determining the pricetag- people don't buy them because they need them, but because they want them- they want a shield that is very special and needs 2 very rare drops from an unsoloable lvl 785 beast to create.

They will probably sell for 3a quite some time.

Nah. For the next couple weeks, maybe... But you have to remember these ARE a coinshare item... Which means dozens will enter the game each day after people discover an effective strategy for killing it. Anything available through coinshare becomes saturated... And once it does, the price collapses. It's only a matter of time.

If only people could actually eat their words...

Elysian and Divine spirit shields, for the moment, are the two most expensive items in the game- both fetching up to 1 bil in street price(3a). Seems people actually understand that with 400 def bonus, +10 def isn't the same as 20%+ damage reduction.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

• 4 months later...

I got a holy elixir drop from a tormented wraith and I tried to sell it . Ended up giving up after a few days, so I paid 1 Million to get a spirit shield blessed. Now I have a blessed spirit shield I can't sell,

but it seems to have some unusual properties the no one has recognized. I have fought the corporeal beast with and without it and it seems to make a tremendous difference in how often the best's mage attack hits. With the shield, most of the mage attacks don't even touch me, which means I can stand there and range longer without having to dodge them. As a consequence I can stay and fight the beast much longer without having to bank. I have also noticed that shades do not seem to be able to hit me as often or as hard with it on. Plus, I live the weird *ping* sound the shield makes when it deflects an attack.

I got a holy elixir drop from a tormented wraith and I tried to sell it . Ended up giving up after a few days, so I paid 1 Million to get a spirit shield blessed. Now I have a blessed spirit shield I can't sell,

but it seems to have some unusual properties the no one has recognized. I have fought the corporeal beast with and without it and it seems to make a tremendous difference in how often the best's mage attack hits. With the shield, most of the mage attacks don't even touch me, which means I can stand there and range longer without having to dodge them. As a consequence I can stay and fight the beast much longer without having to bank. I have also noticed that shades do not seem to be able to hit me as often or as hard with it on. Plus, I live the weird *ping* sound the shield makes when it deflects an attack.

Why does it seem only people with 1 or 2 posts bring back threads that have been DEAD FOR NEARLY HALF A YEAR.

Half a year, people's prediction of the shields dropping under DFS has been proven extremely wrong >.> These things really are amazing for rangers and magers... Especially mage actually. How would they work against a pair of claw's ko potential I wonder...?

120dgl.jpg

The reason these shields are so expensive is because Jagex has made a plethora of hidden changes to the CB. These changes, combined with the absurdly low drop rate of Elysian/Divine Sigils, make the CB a waste of time and more importantly, a huge waste of supplies. So what if it drops onyx stuff? One person will always get all the drops, because they hop teams after missing a sigil.

td2sig.jpg

Personally, I see all of them dropping below the DFS.

People buy the DFS (the demand for it) is the +strength bonus, people rather have +strength than anything else.

you haven't exactly got it right have you eh?

arcane - 70m

divine - 100m

elysian - 140m

spectral 50m

and

dfs 16m

Palas1.png

nice gravedigging.

elysian and divine shields are around 1 bil street price at this time.

2Xeo5.png

People buy the DFS (the demand for it) is the +strength bonus, people rather have +strength than anything else.

arcane - 70m

divine - 100m

elysian - 140m

spectral 50m

and

dfs 16m

not to mention the street price is higher, thats one thing i dont like about 3hitu these days, his ego wants everyone to believe he is right no matter what kind of a stupid guess he makes, like when bgs was supposed to rise a few months ago and they never did.

Bbc_3.gif

4000000657th to 99 cookin

555555406th to 99 flethcin

arcane - 70m

divine - 100m

elysian - 140m

spectral 50m

and

dfs 16m

not to mention the street price is higher, thats one thing i dont like about 3hitu these days, his ego wants everyone to believe he is right no matter what kind of a stupid guess he makes, like when bgs was supposed to rise a few months ago and they never did.

I really can't see him being any more wrong.

dragonfire shield price is 15-17 mil

compared to divine shield price, which is 1.1 bil

as well as elysian, which is just under 1 bil.

2Xeo5.png

Jagex could just dump some sigils in the GE, so they can take some money out of the game and the only ones suffering from it would be the merchers :twisted:

That would be Jagex manipulating prices. I wonder what would have happend to the shield if CB was not updated. Perhaps their prices would be a lot lower then.

120dgl.jpg

Or people who want them.

Hell, if I were jagex I would(via the ge) remove items that are being manipulated!

Merch clan going to buy out dragon skirts? Well, when they dump them, they all dissapeer into oblivion :P

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

Jagex could just dump some sigils in the GE, so they can take some money out of the game and the only ones suffering from it would be the merchers :twisted:

That would be Jagex manipulating prices. I wonder what would have happend to the shield if CB was not updated. Perhaps their prices would be a lot lower then.

Is there another way to stop junk trading then?

Real men still use Rune Defender. :D

+1

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~