Jagex Attempting to Stop Monopolies?

Dragons_Might

Well I found this on the RSOF, and havn't seen it mentioned on TIF yet, so I mine as well write:

...Today they had a hidden update added, here is what it was:

Max ammount of weps, armor you can now buy is 10 every 4 hrs.

Max ammount of rares (santas masks) you can now buy is 2 every 4 hrs. (confirmed)

Max ammount of TT items (robin, gilded) you can now buy is 4 every 4 hrs.

This originaly was 100. With 100 you could sorta merch by buying for example 100 ss. Now you can only but 10 barrow items, 10 godswords, 10 dfs, 100 santas....

(A note.. I'm pretty sure the last 2 words should say 2 santas, I didn't edit it though, as I decided to leave Prod's original writing)

So it seems Jagex really is against these mass merchants. Sure, with a clan of 100+ people you can still get your hands on alot of things, but 10 Godswords is nothing compared to the manipulating power of everyone being able to buy up to 100.

Also is it me or does the rares thing seem low? 2 in 4 hours.. thats a really low limit.. I figured it would be the same as weapons/armor really. Same with TT items.

So, what does anyone else think about what Jagex is doing here?

(EDIT: I also posted this in hidden updates, but I figured I would make a thread about it, as it is alot about the mass merchanting, and not just that its an update)

sgsagssighe6.jpg

the trick is to balance all of these methods to get 99 and either play real life or train another skill while farming.

635th to 99 Farming 12/16/07

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh well, things change, people move on, they'll find a way around it eventually. Didn't affect me all that much, might be a slight inconvenience at times, but i'm pretty sure other people will have a much stronger opinion than i do

croppedskill2ph6.png

621st person to achieve 99 slayer on December 3rd, 2007

177th person to 99 summoning on June 21st, 2008

What amazes me is jagex has not realized after one major failed attempt that LIMITS DO NOT WORK. We don't need any more limits jagex. What we do need is creative ideas that will not add on ridiculous limits but rather change the way something works.

Just give manipulators a few weeks, they will figure out a way around this just like RWT did, and thrive once again.

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

I see an issue with the limit set forth in the GE. What I want is a free economy, and it's already been restricted with the trade limits and everyone using the GE. Now, they further prolong the annoyance of restriction by setting more limits on the GE? Are they trying to stop price manipulation? Well, ultimately the prices are set by Jagex and no one is really forced to buy anything from the merchants anyways so this update is one hell of a bugger. :|

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

It's still too liberal. Whatever happened to buying armor because you planned on using it, instead of screwing over some guy who wants to buy it so he can go fight monsters by buying up all the stock and making him pay extortion prices. The people who do that are no better than people who engage in ticket scalping to scam children at a freaking Hannah Montana concert.

Oh well Jagex has always failed at it's own economy, or much rather understanding it.

*hands tissue*

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

It's about damn time. Omali summed it up best: Why can't we just buy things with the intent to use them, instead of the intent to "merchant" them?

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

What amazes me is jagex has not realized after one major failed attempt that LIMITS DO NOT WORK. We don't need any more limits jagex. What we do need is creative ideas that will not add on ridiculous limits but rather change the way something works.

Just give manipulators a few weeks, they will figure out a way around this just like RWT did, and thrive once again.

the truth is, their is no way to solve this. Its alot like the drug problems in countries, until massive steps are made in MANY directions, limits are the only reasonable thing that can be done.

It's about damn time. Omali summed it up best: Why can't we just buy things with the intent to use them, instead of the intent to "merchant" them?

1 persons use is not anothers, to say in which way to use an Item(s) seems, very i dunno whatever.

But, I dont disagree with you.

While this does seem to really stop ge price manipulation, it really screws over the honest merchants. The merchants that buy and sell with out the intention of "screwing over everyone else". Long term merchanting via GE graphs is pretty much useless for all the highend items (that also made the most cash).

Please don't mix up merchanting and manipulation. I love to merchant, I really dislike those that manipulate the GE for their own profit.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

While this does seem to really stop ge price manipulation, it really screws over the honest merchants. The merchants that buy and sell with out the intention of "screwing over everyone else". Long term merchanting via GE graphs is pretty much useless for all the highend items (that also made the most cash).

Please don't mix up merchanting and manipulation. I love to merchant, I really dislike those that manipulate the GE for their own profit.

Agreed. Though I have been finding success in buying 10 of a wide range of items instead of just buying 40 whips at a time. It takes a little more work but there can also be a larger chance of success. Then again I am a GE noob to begin with...

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

does this update limit the amount of other items that players can buy such as food/pots/runes etc?

i can't say i like it...jagex should really stop imposing so many restrictions on the economy... :lol: no offense against omali but while some people are quoting him, i shall quote Winston Churchill instead who once said, "if you destroy a free market, you get a black market" as well as Milton Friedman who said" The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people." and i've yet to see anyone who can prove that a black market is better than a free market.

not only will such restrictions create a black market eventually, it also slows down trade and as proven by the theory of comparative advantage by David Ricardo, free trade on the basis of comparative advantage benefits everyone and results in an overall improvement in the society's standard of living. For example if someone is great at fighting and loves doing that but hates herblore and fishing, he should trade the produce of his fighting (drops from monsters, players etc) for potions and food from players who enjoy fishing and have a high fishing/herblore level (i.e. those who have a comparative advantage in fishing/herblore)

yes some people are saying that who needs to trade more than 10 godswords in a couple of hours but that is being rather one-sided and extreme...it is ridiculous how such blind people only think about armour and equipment as GODSWORDS and nothing else...how about smithers who are trading the produce of their skilling to others? as well as those who wish to high alch certain profitable armour parts? these players will find themselves at a loss on how to sell the armour they have smithed or buy the armour they want to high alch no?

please wake up and stop limiting this discussion to godswords alone...it is not as though godswords are the ONLY weapon and "armour" in runescape...

maxed out melee on 10/10/08, current goal: 94/99 cooking

life may be unfair, but why can't it be unfair in my favor?

my fake plant died because i forgot to pretend to water it

Selhy.png

lets just hop the merchant dumped something for us to buy now and profit when it goes back to normal price(very slowly) <3:

Played since February 2001

alexrn2vh6.jpg

13th to 30 hunting

firemaking cape achieved 6th August 2008_-_-_-_Quest cape achieved 19th August 2009

I am struggling not to fill this post with expletives. Jagex, after all these limitations and restrictions, people found ways around them. This will not change anything other than to piss off the honest merchant (NOT manipulator) and those who have some use or another for these items. Are normal merchanters bad? No. Are manipulators bad? Yes. This seems to be an effort to make the merchant extinct.

I'm fuming.

"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

-- Jack Handey

Cook_Me_Plox.png

God... There goes f2p ge merchening :? =D> :wall: :| :evil: :evil:

Yeah, but now I know why I could only buy 4 of the TT items. What a mess! I have to find a new way of merchanting... maybe investing?

:wall:

[404] Signature not found.

It's only the big expensive items which there aren't that many of in the game that have these small limits introduced. (basically the items that were easy to monopolise if you happen to be uber rich or part of an uber rich consortium)

So you don't need to worry about most things having been changed - like smithed weapons and armours.