PvP "safing"

Shelby_Polo

Whats this got to do with NEW pvp?

Im pretty sure all these weapons were around in the old wilderness...Godswords where, Darkbow was, stupid things like DDS and Dharoks defiantly were, so, whats the issue here...

And to the above, its always been like this.

Safing pretty much ended with the release of the dragon dagger and its special, because no matter WHAT HP you were at, if a player had 99 attack and strength, prayers, potted, they can deal well over 99 damage. Using all 4 specs, you would have to have an average of 12 per spec, which, isnt that much. A 24 and a 0 would count as two 12s.

Safing is dead, its been dead, and its just an excuse for whiney people.

24 specs wouldn't ko anybody, that's 4 combat rounds which means by spamming food that 96 hp you took off actually turned out to be around 16.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup I hate when ppl do that. Im lvl 98 in pvp worlds, i was fighting another 98 in lower fally bank.. apparently i was safing, of course i was safing he maxed out a 50 or so with a dds, and he was hitting fairly well with a d scim. I maxed out a 30 with just my whip.. although i was safing.. he banked 3 times to get food and i still had around 10 sharks left

I killed him the 4th time, I lured him behind the wall (twards taverly dungeon)

his drop = D skirt/farseer helm/rune war hammer/rune chain/glory ammy

last he came back and said "wth u safe noob"

so how is safing bad? u tell me

Player of RuneScape since 2003.

Timber520.png

Safing is eating above 60-70% of your hp.

If you eat above that your an idiot, because you will spend more time eating that actually hitting your opponent...

This.

But also, with the huge numbers some weapons are able to hit you for, I have nothing against you if you eat when you get to half hp. The damage done by some things is absolutely ridiculous. You need to be above 95 hp, or incredibly lucky, if you want to stand a chance of not getting almost instantly 3-hitted by a blitz and dark bow. What I'm saying is: if you're in no danger of getting rushed by some ludicrously powerful special, eating above half hp just takes away from the time you have attacking someone. If you're not attacking someone, you can't kill them.

Safing really only makes sense in F2P as i usually eat just as i get under my own max hit

But in PVP P2P, the highest (non dharok) hit is an 80 with ags, and thats pretty much a KO if you are safing.

P2P has no safing, its only a way to get faster pks

fulldragsigcopydh25.jpg

Personally this safing thing is all how one interprets it. if we r going to bring this up into discussion we might as well do the same from protection prayers. its really annoying when one does a protect prayer and even u may think its dumb but its part of the game. sometimes the safing thing gets out of hand when they want u to eat only if u r at hp 10 or below. i personally dont safe but i dont get myself killed.

There is no such thing as safing, I eat when I want to, that's it. just unmature noobs who gets mad when they can't kill me.

very well put, thats basicly my point of view too

the point of "saifing" is basicly "dont eat because i can get an easy ko on you"

people who complain about safing fail :wall:

Screenshot2011-08-18at14818PM-1.png

safing, food noobs, pray noobs are all excuses the poorer pkers use when they cant afford, or arent smart enough, to bring food/prayer.

The very reason why skillers don't need to PvP. No mutual respect for fighters whatsoever. Safing? Dumb to do. Food noob? Didja pull that one out of your [wagon]? Pray noob? No one will fight you, have fun resorting to rushing and being hated. Poorer pkers? Poorer pkers are the ones who use these cheap and irritating tactics such as praying and tabbing out.

Hevendor_Guy.png

rsdeadzm5.png

There's cake through here, apparently.

safing, food noobs, pray noobs are all excuses the poorer pkers use when they cant afford, or arent smart enough, to bring food/prayer.

The very reason why skillers don't need to PvP. No mutual respect for fighters whatsoever. Safing? Dumb to do. Food noob? Didja pull that one out of your [wagon]? Pray noob? No one will fight you, have fun resorting to rushing and being hated. Poorer pkers? Poorer pkers are the ones who use these cheap and irritating tactics such as praying and tabbing out.

Stereotyping the skillers as half-wits who have no idea how to pk?

Good for you :thumbsup:.

I have no problem against skillers, only the stupid ones that try to pk when they can't.

Know what's funny? All the time I see the "prayer noob" insult and their ilk thrown around, it always seems to be coming from the mouth of one of the skillers turned wannabe-pkers. It's deplorable. Hell, I've even been called a 'shark noob' :wall: . I asked him why it was stupid to use sharks and he said because you didn't fish them yourself. Is not the stupidest pking insult you've ever heard? Seriously. It isn't "cool" to trash-talk everyone and anyone you see. There's a 7-letter word called 'respect', learn it.

Most people don't like fighting people who have absolutely no idea how to pk (those who overhead pray the whole fight, safe constantly, etc.). If you're going to rush, safe over half hp, or overhead pray, I won't hesitate to teleport away right that instant. You're not worth the time for me to fight you.

I'm not saying that "safing" is bad, because really, if you need to eat, then you eat. Thats the point of having food, and the point of any fight, pvp or pvnpc is to not die. However I only eat at around 1/4 hp, or when I'm below my opponents max hit (which I'd hopefully be aware of), in order to conserve food.

Maybe thats not a very good tactic, but hey, I do what works, and I do what I think wont get me killed. As many have said; screw you, I want to live.

picture7eo0.png

Ok, it's obvious tip.it is a very anti-pking forum, so i'll show you why you shouldn't safe.

People pk or pvp for the fun and loot of it right? When someone is eating as a point that makes it impossible for the other person to ko, you don't have any fun or get any loot. The killing part is what everyone loves, so whats the point of fighting with no killing? It's just a waste of money.

You people act like your fighting a monster 3 times your level with the primary purpose being to survive. Pking isn't about survival, its about killing other players. (Unless your tanking for whatever reason)

scubanz3.jpg

4972745284559197a18112.gifRsn: Scuba10

After reading through all the tripe posted so far here, it's obvious no one here has PKed very much.

The so-called honor rules are there for mutual benefit.

Praying -

If you're in low level wilderness, people don't HAVE to fight you. They have an option of running, or teleporting. Since most people tend to hang near safe zones nowadays, you can choose the fight you prefer. Most players prefer to bring only one style of combat for several reasons:

1) One style = less variables. You only need to focus on eating, potting, and perhaps using special attacks. Versus with two styles, you need to switch back and forth.

2) Less equipment. 2 combat styles means 2 sets of weapons / armor. This means two things: 1, if you get jumped, or you disconnect, you lose more, and 2, anyone focusing on just one style will have the upper hand disregarding prayer, and run if you pray. Remember, both players have to AGREE to fight if you're hanging near a safe zone.

3) Easier to train. Not everyone likes all 3 combat styles.

There are probably more than that. Anyways, for the above reason, most people prefer to bring but one style. So now, the majority of the people near these safe zones only carry one style. So what? Well, if you're praying when you have multiple styles, you have the upper hand. Therefore they run. If you pray when you similarly have one style, you both pray, you both do 30% less damage, you both have a much lower chance to actually score a kill.

Now look at your supplies. This problem is even more of one than back when we used the normal wilderness. I spent 10 minutes in a hot zone, then fought some person the same level as me. I risked ~300k excluding 4 items, while he risked ~300k excluding one item (he had a skull, I did not.) The fight lasted 5 minutes. I finally got a lucky 52, and killed him. My reward, a rune battle axe.

Drops are overall very mediocre when PKing. You've probably seen DFH and such, but honestly, those are rare. Also, I am convinced that as well as removing the infinite xp with one click spot yesterday, Jagex reduced the drop rates, since both normal PK-ing and kill feeding is yielding drops with a lower frequency.

So the point is, if you're spending 15k-20k in sharks per fight, and perhaps 15k in potions, that adds up to quite a bit. If an average kill is 50k worth, that means you need to get 1 kill every 2 trips just to pay for your supplies, and that doesn't even account for your own death.

This is why people run if you pray and they only have one style. When both players pray, there is a very low likelihood that either player will die, since prayer reduces both accuracy and damage. If neither player dies, after 4 rounds, both players have wasted 100k or more. If both players agree not to pray, both players have a chance at killing each other, and thus if one of them is more skilled, or lucky on that day, he might at least break even, or get a small profit.

PKing is mostly for fun. But hitting low the whole time, never standing a chance of actually profiting because you both know the other will run, is futile.

Safing is a similar matter. I challenge anyone here to try to kill me before I run out of food if I safe and pray. Shark-brew heals 36 HP a bite. Protect melee cuts your max hit barring dharoks to roughly 50. Throw in my rune armor reducing your chance of hitting to maybe 50% means you're not going to kill me. Especially not since I'm hitting back, and occasionally forcing you to eat.

So the compromise? Again, you both let your hp fall into KO range. While it's true you can hit a 80 or so, it's very rare. If you actually watch two high leveled pkers fight, you'll see they rarely hit more than 35 or so. AGS specials may hit 50-60, but every time you see one, you know to heal up. The same goes for DDS, except DDS has even lower accuracy.

By allowing your hp to fall to under 40 or so before you eat, you are giving your opponent that small chance of killing you with two decent hits in a row. If your opponent does the same, PKing actually has a purpose for both of you, since you both have a chance of winning. If both of you eat every time you fall to 70 or less HP, I'm sorry, but you're not going to kill ANYONE. No one dies, and the only person that wins is the fisherman selling you both sharks to waste.

Now I don't know how people interpret this now, since plenty of people shout these terms far from safespots, and that is nonsense. When you're nowhere near a safezone, and you have tele block and ancient magic, these rules mean nothing, and you can potentially kill or be killed. But next to a safespot, if no players followed these rules, you'll see perhaps one death every fifty fights, and the dead man returning to gripe about lag half the time.

If you disagree with these rules, that's fine. But just understand that they ARE justified. And realize that when you're close to a safezone, you choose who to fight. You do not need to fight people unless they abide the same rules as you, and most true PKers will choose a way that actually has meaning for them. If you can't deal with it, then don't PK, or PK in a more dangerous location where your opponent doesn't have a choice.

Well hey, if you come to just hang around safe zones the whole time, don't come at all. I still say do whatever it takes to stay alive.

Oh, and to say that the point of pking is to kill is really stating the obvious. Thanks. Thanks once more for allowing me to make the point that if you are pking, along with the intent to kill is the necessity to stay alive. Hence if you feel the need to eat, I wouldn't call it safing, I would call it being smart.

Not eating if you're going to die is.. well, for lack of a better word, stupid. Honor pking? Whatever. If there's a single way in which you can put your opponent at a disadvantage, then do it if you really want to win. If not, then have fun beating away at each-other with no result

I get asked why I bother to train defense, and I say "so you can't hit me". (Duh. If all my combat stats are balanced, then I'm flawless relative to my combat level.) Similarly, when I get accused of safing (which as I said before, I tend not to "do" anyway) I just laugh and say "at least I'm not dead".

picture7eo0.png

The only person that cares about someone safing is someone that limits their own character's abilities, and demands that everyone does the same [even when they won't].

I've PKed on pretty much all of my accounts, but the thing is that I really can't be bothered to listen to their rules. Honor? Take your honor and put it where the sun don't shine; this is kill or be killed. Those so-called "PKers" that run off into safe spots and/or teleport are the ones that didn't get the message; I come prepared.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

In p2p safing is perfectly reasonable. There are way too many trick shows, uber finishes, and powerful hits that make it very easy to die below 1/3 hp.

I'm a f2p'er, I don't safe because my opponent just runs from me. If you ask me, that's the best way to solve the issue. If you dislike how your opponent plays, leave the fight. Good luck being a successful F2P pker if you safe because you're opponents will run 90% of the time. If my foe safes, I just say "nice safe" and run. No need getting in a debate over honor and fairness and stupidity.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

[hide=]

After reading through all the tripe posted so far here, it's obvious no one here has PKed very much.

The so-called honor rules are there for mutual benefit.

Praying -

If you're in low level wilderness, people don't HAVE to fight you. They have an option of running, or teleporting. Since most people tend to hang near safe zones nowadays, you can choose the fight you prefer. Most players prefer to bring only one style of combat for several reasons:

1) One style = less variables. You only need to focus on eating, potting, and perhaps using special attacks. Versus with two styles, you need to switch back and forth.

2) Less equipment. 2 combat styles means 2 sets of weapons / armor. This means two things: 1, if you get jumped, or you disconnect, you lose more, and 2, anyone focusing on just one style will have the upper hand disregarding prayer, and run if you pray. Remember, both players have to AGREE to fight if you're hanging near a safe zone.

3) Easier to train. Not everyone likes all 3 combat styles.

There are probably more than that. Anyways, for the above reason, most people prefer to bring but one style. So now, the majority of the people near these safe zones only carry one style. So what? Well, if you're praying when you have multiple styles, you have the upper hand. Therefore they run. If you pray when you similarly have one style, you both pray, you both do 30% less damage, you both have a much lower chance to actually score a kill.

Now look at your supplies. This problem is even more of one than back when we used the normal wilderness. I spent 10 minutes in a hot zone, then fought some person the same level as me. I risked ~300k excluding 4 items, while he risked ~300k excluding one item (he had a skull, I did not.) The fight lasted 5 minutes. I finally got a lucky 52, and killed him. My reward, a rune battle axe.

Drops are overall very mediocre when PKing. You've probably seen DFH and such, but honestly, those are rare. Also, I am convinced that as well as removing the infinite xp with one click spot yesterday, Jagex reduced the drop rates, since both normal PK-ing and kill feeding is yielding drops with a lower frequency.

So the point is, if you're spending 15k-20k in sharks per fight, and perhaps 15k in potions, that adds up to quite a bit. If an average kill is 50k worth, that means you need to get 1 kill every 2 trips just to pay for your supplies, and that doesn't even account for your own death.

This is why people run if you pray and they only have one style. When both players pray, there is a very low likelihood that either player will die, since prayer reduces both accuracy and damage. If neither player dies, after 4 rounds, both players have wasted 100k or more. If both players agree not to pray, both players have a chance at killing each other, and thus if one of them is more skilled, or lucky on that day, he might at least break even, or get a small profit.

PKing is mostly for fun. But hitting low the whole time, never standing a chance of actually profiting because you both know the other will run, is futile.

Safing is a similar matter. I challenge anyone here to try to kill me before I run out of food if I safe and pray. Shark-brew heals 36 HP a bite. Protect melee cuts your max hit barring dharoks to roughly 50. Throw in my rune armor reducing your chance of hitting to maybe 50% means you're not going to kill me. Especially not since I'm hitting back, and occasionally forcing you to eat.

So the compromise? Again, you both let your hp fall into KO range. While it's true you can hit a 80 or so, it's very rare. If you actually watch two high leveled pkers fight, you'll see they rarely hit more than 35 or so. AGS specials may hit 50-60, but every time you see one, you know to heal up. The same goes for DDS, except DDS has even lower accuracy.

By allowing your hp to fall to under 40 or so before you eat, you are giving your opponent that small chance of killing you with two decent hits in a row. If your opponent does the same, PKing actually has a purpose for both of you, since you both have a chance of winning. If both of you eat every time you fall to 70 or less HP, I'm sorry, but you're not going to kill ANYONE. No one dies, and the only person that wins is the fisherman selling you both sharks to waste.

Now I don't know how people interpret this now, since plenty of people shout these terms far from safespots, and that is nonsense. When you're nowhere near a safezone, and you have tele block and ancient magic, these rules mean nothing, and you can potentially kill or be killed. But next to a safespot, if no players followed these rules, you'll see perhaps one death every fifty fights, and the dead man returning to gripe about lag half the time.

If you disagree with these rules, that's fine. But just understand that they ARE justified. And realize that when you're close to a safezone, you choose who to fight. You do not need to fight people unless they abide the same rules as you, and most true PKers will choose a way that actually has meaning for them. If you can't deal with it, then don't PK, or PK in a more dangerous location where your opponent doesn't have a choice.

[/hide]

Very eloquent. Good job =D>.

Well hey, if you come to just hang around safe zones the whole time, don't come at all. I still say do whatever it takes to stay alive.

Oh, and to say that the point of pking is to kill is really stating the obvious. Thanks. Thanks once more for allowing me to make the point that if you are pking, along with the intent to kill is the necessity to stay alive. Hence if you feel the need to eat, I wouldn't call it safing, I would call it being smart.

However, if you kill your opponent before you both run out of food, you not only lose less money from each kill, you also don't have to worry about "staying alive" until you go to your next fight. The faster you kill something, the less opportunity it has to inflict large amounts of damage on you. Therefore, keeping you alive.

Not eating if you're going to die is.. well, for lack of a better word, stupid. Honor pking? Whatever. If there's a single way in which you can put your opponent at a disadvantage, then do it if you really want to win. If not, then have fun beating away at each-other with no result

Now, I'm all for not just handing your opponent a victory, but if you're eating above 50% hp, you need to become more secure about you ability to pk. Higher risk=higher reward. If youcan put your opponent at a disadvantage, chances are they can do the same to you. By disadvantage I assume you mean prayer and such. Like you said: "have fun beating away at each- other with no result." This is why I don't pk anymore <.< . The whole pker community has lost all respect and is becoming worse than the slums of Mexico City.

I get asked why I bother to train defense, and I say "so you can't hit me". (Duh. If all my combat stats are balanced, then I'm flawless relative to my combat level.) Similarly, when I get accused of safing (which as I said before, I tend not to "do" anyway) I just laugh and say "at least I'm not dead".

True, being alive is better than dead, and you're not always garunteed a KO if you don't safe. But like I said before higher risk=higher reward.

Well you are going to eat the food sooner or later so why does it matter when? I eat mines when I know the player can k.o ( i pk f2p)

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

When I eat, I eat to avoid death, wether it's "Safing" or not. I have found that when the other person calls you a "safer", "noob" or any other names it is usually to make you type, therefore focusing your concentration on typing and not the battle that is going on, allowing them to put some sneaky hits in and kill you.

zaverak.png

zaverak.png

------------------

Barrows: 1x Guthans Spear, 1x Dharoaks Body, 1x Dharoaks Helmet.

Dragon: 1x Dragon Med

When I eat, I eat to avoid death, wether it's "Safing" or not. I have found that when the other person calls you a "safer", "noob" or any other names it is usually to make you type, therefore focusing your concentration on typing and not the battle that is going on, allowing them to put some sneaky hits in and kill you.

If you can't concentrate on typing, playing catch with your brother, PK-ing, and playing Disgaea DS all at the same time, you need more practice in the multi-tasking department. ;)

I fight with an AGS most of the time in PVP. I understand that people will safe when fighting me, that is my obstacle i have to overcome. I expect people to do the same for me when they are 99 att, 99 str, and 94+ mage and can use vengence. I ALWAYS safe on these kids. When I can hit a 50 w/o specing my ags, and they can hit a 45-50 with their whip, they just hit somewhere in the neighborhood of 80-85 damage when their veng goes off. WHY in gods name would i let my health get so low as to ko MYSELF? I dont eat at 85 hp, i dont eat at 60, but i wont let my health get much lower than 40. Skill still exists when playing this game. you need to decide when to whip out your dds and spec, you cant just expect the opportunity to arise 90% of the time because you want to kill someone.

When I fight, i know that i have to wait for a big hit to spec on. You dont whittle down someone's hp with an AGS and expect them to not eat. You have to wait for a big natural hit, then go for the specs. The same goes with any other kind of weapon, but it just seems that people want that opportunity to happen all the time. The people who call others safers are the ones who cant fight. It's obvious they have no skill what-so-ever.

[/jumps off soapbox]

polarbeardaveyz9.png

As others have said, I basically just eat to get out of the 1-hit range. If you don't safe, the person you're fighting is less inclined to safe, therefore increasing both of our chances at getting a kill. Likewise, if someone is staying at above 80% of their hp, the other person will do the same. The whole honor thing was made basically as common sense, which people who hardly ever pk seem to twist into that it was some preteen's way of getting pixels.

Some people pk to have fun, with making money as a nice side effect, and others pk to make money, with fun as a side effect. People who pk for the money are the gambling type, and will take the option of not safing, because if they safe, nobody will get a kill and they'll lose money on supplies. they'd rather stay at lower hp so they can take the gamble and hopefully get a few lucky hits in to get the kill and profit. People who pk for fun want to fight, and because they want to get into a lot of fights, they'd have to stay at lower hp, or people would be less inclined to fight them because of the reasons stated above. If you safe, the person you're fighting will recognize that it's useless. You aren't going to die, so they're risking something for nothing, and will run after a matter of seconds. Either way, not safing is the preferrable option.

I might as well note that this applies only to what used to be edge pking, and what's now pking in tele range. If you're in deep wilderness, it's okay to stay at higher hp, because it doesn't matter if they don't want to fight you, they'll have to run out 20 levels first.

Edit: I agree that calling someone a safer is pointless, because all it's doing is getting them angry. Someone isn't about to start listening to advice when it's thrown at them with a bunch of insults.

croppedskill2ph6.png

621st person to achieve 99 slayer on December 3rd, 2007

177th person to 99 summoning on June 21st, 2008

If you can't concentrate on typing, playing catch with your brother, PK-ing, and playing Disgaea DS all at the same time, you need more practice in the multi-tasking department. ;)

:lol: I can't multi-task, brain capacity of a pea :wall:

zaverak.png

zaverak.png

------------------

Barrows: 1x Guthans Spear, 1x Dharoaks Body, 1x Dharoaks Helmet.

Dragon: 1x Dragon Med