Jagex appoints THQ Creative Director as Head of RuneScape

DragnFly

I posted about this time last year on a former paypal employee coming to work for jagex (viewtopic.php?f=30&t=710871), and now it appears they have acquired a employee from THQ.

Jagex appoints THQ Creative Director as Head of RuneScape

UK, Cambridge, 21st October, 2008 - Jagex, the UK's largest independent games developer, today announced the appointment of Vince Farquharson as the head of its flagship title, RuneScape.

Vince joins Jagex from THQ, where he worked as Creative Director and Development Director for three years, and has had previous experience at Empire Interactive, Computer Artworks and Bullfrog. "Vince brings a wealth of industry experience, making him the ideal candidate for Head of RuneScape. We see him as a fantastic addition to RuneScape, at a time when the game is surging in popularity," said Geoff Iddison, Jagex CEO.

Vince will be focusing on the further expansion of the RuneScape MMO, through the development of compelling content and launching the game in new international territories. "I'm absolutely thrilled to be joining the RuneScape team. Since its launch in 2001 RuneScape has evolved into a phenomenal success with millions of players across the world. I'm very excited to be working withthe team responsible for this, as we take the game forward into 2009 and beyond," said Vince Farquharson.

During his time at THQ, Vince has overseen a number of titles, including MotoGP 06 and 07, Worms: Open Warfare 1 and 2, Worms: A Space Oddity, Warhammer 40,000: Squad Command and Broken Sword: The Angel of Death.

About RuneScape

RuneScape is a massively multiplayer online game, set in a fantasy world of warring races, ravaged landscapes and sinister powers. The game is updated twice a month with new content, quest, skills and challenges.

RuneScape holds the Guinness World Record as the largest free-to-play MMORPG in the world and currently has over 5 million active players, including over 1 million paying subscribers.

About Jagex Ltd

Jagex Ltd is an independent games developer and publisher based in Cambridge, England. With proprietary graphics compression, game engine and network communication technologies, Jagex creates online games that are enjoyed bymillions of players around the world.

For More Information Contact:

Adam Tuckwell

Head of Public Relations

Jagex Ltd.

Email: [email protected]

Tel: +44 (0)870 756 3014

Sources:

http://www.mcvuk.com/press-releases/413 ... -RuneScape

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... tory=20741

http://www.crispygamer.com/news/index.p ... ins-jagex/

Gah, no wonder they didn't pick me, that guy from THQ is a bit more qualified than me... :lol:

----------------------

Edit:

RuneScape holds the Guinness World Record as the largest free-to-play MMORPG in the world and currently has over 5 million active players, including over 1 million paying subscribers.

So, they're taking at least £3 Million per month gross-profit every month, that's shocking!

my only concern is that he's going to lead runescape more in the direction of the console games he's used to

i'm just not sure if he's going to really understand what it is that makes runescape, runescape

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

Stuff better be good.

Or else.

:?

Or else what? :mrgreen:

my only concern is that he's going to lead runescape more in the direction of the console games he's used to

i'm just not sure if he's going to really understand what it is that makes runescape, runescape

Really? So, what makes Runescape, Runescape? I'll take a guess here, hmm crappy graphics? Horrible community? Pointless updates? Am I getting closer? :twss:

2480+ total

Stuff better be good.

Or else.

:?

Or else what? :mrgreen:

Really? So, what makes Runescape, Runescape? I'll take a guess here, hmm crappy graphics? Horrible community? Pointless updates? Am I getting closer? :twss:

Almost. The correct answer is the grinding, obviously. \'

Only kidding, this should be interesting, though I am not sure that we will be able to pinpoint future updates specifically to the hiring of this one person.

11th to 99 Summoning

85th to 99 Runecrafting

soulattacker.png

All we can do is wait and see and hope RS doesn't go down the tubes.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Gah, no wonder they didn't pick me, that guy from THQ is a bit more qualified than me... :lol:

He may also have slightly more optimistic outlook towards updates that "[bleep] it, it'll suck anyway, let's just abandon the game and go back to working on runescape classic"

Just saying :?

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Wow, I can only imagine what positive benefits this can bring into the game in the future.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

I'm glad they found someone - they've been advertising that post since May/June when Imre Jele left to become project director of the Volatile Games division at Blitz Game Studios.

According to MobyGames our new Head of RuneScape is credited with working on:

Warhammer 40,000: Squad Command (2007), THQ Inc.

Secrets of the Ark: A Broken Sword Game (2006), THQ Interactive Entertainment España S.L.

Worms: Open Warfare (2006), THQ Inc.

Big Mutha Truckers 2: Truck Me Harder (2005), Empire Interactive Europe Ltd.

Taito Legends (2005), Xplosiv

Mashed: Drive to Survive (2004), Empire Interactive Entertainment

Evolva (2000), Interplay Entertainment Corp.

Dungeon Keeper (1997), Electronic Arts, Inc.

Syndicate Wars (1996), Electronic Arts, Inc.

Hi-Octane (1995), Bullfrog Productions, Ltd.

Magic Carpet 2: The Netherworlds (1995), Electronic Arts, Inc.

Syndicate (1995), Electronic Arts, Inc.

Theme Park (1995), Ocean Software Ltd.

ren_tbv450.png

Mechscape World (the original MechScape fansite)

I'm glad they found someone - they've been advertising that post since May/June when Imre Jele left to become project director of the Volatile Games division at Blitz Game Studios.

Secrets of the Ark: A Broken Sword Game (2006), THQ Interactive Entertainment España S.L.

oh god

theme park sucked

get rid of him now

warhammer 40k is the only really well known game on that list

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

oh god

theme park sucked

get rid of him now

warhammer 40k is the only really well known game on that list

And Syndicate was a god of a game! And Dungeon Keeper was rather peachy.

I think Runescape will benefit from him, primarily in the department of trying to make updates to runescape involving and engaging, something that I seem to not find in Runescape now :(

Dark_Jab.png

well that's a pretty impressive list:

especially the older 1's are pretty much "well known":

theme park was one of the very first GAME simulations..

And dungeon keeper has been honoured a lot for it's originality/3d incoorporation. (mind you at 1997 3d wasn't common).

Also syndicate wars and worms were pretty good titles. (Though I personally am stilll stuck at the 2000 quality games so I don't know about any of the newer titles).

As for his current title "head of runescape": don't expect to much.. Pretty much any "head of XXXX" is just a job where loudmouthed creatures rest who get paid waaaaay too much...

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I'm going to write a letter saying that the game is 13+ and that we have a right to have the censor removed. Not being able to say 'damn' is a joke.

Maybe so, but this game isnt 13+. Its 13+ without the supervision of a parent. People 12- are still allowed to play, they just have to be "supervised". According to Jagex anyways.

OT: But I think this may be a good thing. Bringing someone new in always brings in new ideas. Now if they are *good* ideas, well. Thats another story :lol: We'll just have to wait and see.

dawnsigblue-3.png

I'm going to write a letter saying that the game is 13+ and that we have a right to have the censor removed. Not being able to say 'damn' is a joke.

Maybe so, but this game isnt 13+. Its 13+ without the supervision of a parent. People 12- are still allowed to play, they just have to be "supervised". According to Jagex anyways.

OT: But I think this may be a good thing. Bringing someone new in always brings in new ideas. Now if they are *good* ideas, well. Thats another story :lol: We'll just have to wait and see.

all people that admit that thier under the age of 13, are restricted to use quickchat untill their 13th birthday to ensure that they can't give out personal information , same as being muted untill your 13 in other words :roll:

OT: I don't know if that is going to change things much, but if it does, it should be for the better.