do U consider being called noob offensive?

killyou28

I don't get offended by it because it's completely untrue. I know levels don't nessecarily equal maturity, but they are certainly some indication of game experience. When I do get called it; rarely; I just laugh.

It happens most often, unsurprisingly, when I play FoG. "Omg, running away at 134 combat, sad noob". While they're icing/ddsing me. :lol: Good lulz there. Better lulz when I barrage+dragon claw them. :P

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only a noob calls others noobs. :mrgreen:

Why should I care if a random person I've never met before (most likely to have an IQ below 50) calls me a noob? If they think it does something, like they managed to get me angry or that they won an argument then I pity them.

It's only a computer game. This is the Internet, please leave your offended-beingness (yes it's a word! I just invented it!) at the door and thank you. :)

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.

For those saying "it's just a word" or "I don't consider it offensive because I know I'm not one"...well the same can be said for any word.

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

First annual Clausmas - 2009 December 25

no i dont get offended

reading this discusion i think theres a lack of diffrent ways of looking at it its a word that doesent only are used in a negative sense ive played other games where people called themselfs noobs so that they had it more fun to play and find other noobs too play withs etc..

ALL even ME! have been noobs :)

people who get offended well thats always bad but im quite sure people will have to get used to it since people will always try to provoce you in both games and rl specialy in rs :P

v49y88.png

Depend on the situations, I think of it as an insult and also compliment. I know most people call me noob for the reason that I out perform in certain skills or gathering resources (ie, mining coal, or killing monster) and if they get less, or not alot, they will say noob before log off (almost 90 percent of the time now).

I used to care about it, at least somewhat ponder what warrent such an insult, then after awhile, I get used to it. I think most people use it like a common slang now, like lol, or rofl at the end of the sentence. When they get slightly annoyed, they just use it.

a happy Runescaper

Being called noob is not offensive, at all. Heck, I call my best ingame friends noobs often, they don't seem to mind. When someone randomly calls someone in a bank or whereever a noob, I don't attempt to respond with an equally "witty" comment (assuming it was said to me, even thought it probably wasn't), I just ignore it and move on, maybe chuckle a bit if the context allows it. Seriously, if you get ticked off by just a simple "hey noob, y u here"... quite honestly, you need help. Anger management, emotion management, or a girlfriend maybe. :lol:

This thread shouldn't been made, as the same exact question has been asked so many times, so often, and also leads to the same responses, always. The few that care what they're called by complete strangers in an internet game make up the defensive side, and the majority who don't give a damn... well, we're just here to kill the thread.

dontfearthereaper2.png

I don't care what people call me. Especially when it is a word such as 'noob'... :lol:

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

im never angry when im called a noob. only time im angry about it is when it takes 6+ 100s to take me down in Cw, and a lvl 60 comes in, hits 0's, and says "h4 we pwnd u n0ob im awsom3 your my freinds n0ws."

#-o

timmyx50sig1.png

Thx AquaMare for the amazing sig!

[hide=Clicky!]Points2Shop

it's ligit, ive used it. hey, its a great way to kill time. :)[/hide]

[hide=drops and stuff.]Bandos drops: 2X Shard 3, 5X Bandos Plate, X1 Bandos Tasset

PROUD owner of the fire cape since October 9th, 2008

6X Black Mask Drops[/hide]

I never really get offended by it. Most of the time I laugh. The only time I get annoyed by it is if I just tried to help the person that called me it. Because that's just rude.

ab38dfd9d8.png

bluehooloovo.png

bluehooloovo.png

[hide=]

The light at the end of the tunnel is the demon-infested lava pit.

blue = sad

hoo = who

loo = 100

vo = broken ice cream cone = sad children = sad babies = dead babies

bluehooloovo = sadwho100deadbabies = Who is sad about 100 dead babies?

I've cracked the code!

[/hide]Blog

I consider all forms of name-calling to be offensive. I even forbid my parents to use my real anymore. I'm knownas "that guy" at my job and I still find it borderline offensive. I prefer when people just say "hey" and point at me when they want my attention. Last time I got called noob in-game, I nearly threw my computer out the window, it's a good thing I live in a basement, it nearly saved my sanity.

Well that was my 2K cents, I'm off to the therapist! She better not call me a sad-sick-noob again!

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

I don't have much to add that hasn't been said already but when I started playing, 'noob' was the term used to describe a new player and 'n00b' was meant in a derogatory "haha you're a [cabbage] noob" sense.

:D

i_j00_m0m.png

The stars are matter, we're matter, but it doesn't matter.

-Don Van Vliet

No. But I get annoyed when someone calls me a noob, because it shows what an idiotic person I'm dealing with, and I have very little patience with people like that.

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

It is offensive language, as in aggressive and provoking, but it doesn't offend me. The problem is that if it's censored, a potentially more insulting and inappropriate equivalent may come in to supply the demand. Right now, the standard basic insult is (EDIT: mostly) harmless, and that's the best you're going to get in a game where there is no age/maturity restriction.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

It used to be offensive back in the day when people actually only used it when people were actually noobs but now a days its used so much it has no meaning anymore. I have been playing this game on and off for about 3 years now and people still call me a noob which i hardly am level-wise or experience-wise

T_K_A_M_B_.png

Actually, I don't get offended by most swear words, but "noob" still ticks me off. It's as though the very fact that idiotic people who use this word exist irritated me. Which it does.

What ticks me off even more though is when people use "u" instead of you, and when it's typed in caps to make it seem like a honorific (which it isn't, seeing as it's failslang).

2077089531_93b87b9d10.jpg

You're being watched.