Holiday Musings and a permanent solution to rares

Jard_Y_Dooku

Nacholo

You say that removing the wilderness was for the greater good. Yes, it was.

Removing holiday items is not. They were put in the game for no other reason than a gimmick, a toy. Taking them out does no good for anyone. Why do we need solution to rares, when there is no problem? Who cares that someone cannot have a rubber chicken or yo-yo, most of the time it will just be sitting in a bank, or waiting with Diango. Replacing all party hats and trade able rares with GP would be a very bad thing. In fact, I think it is impossible without changing the coding of Runescape. Why? The maximum GP limit, last time I checked, is 2 billion gp. Certainly some players have amassed enough rares to go over that limit.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nacholo

You say that removing the wilderness was for the greater good. Yes, it was. Removing holiday items is not. They were put in the game for no other reason than a gimmick, a toy. Taking them out does no good for anyone. Why do we need solution to rares, when there is no problem?

I don't believe he ever said anything about removing holiday items.

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

First annual Clausmas - 2009 December 25

Nacholo

You say that removing the wilderness was for the greater good. Yes, it was. Removing holiday items is not. They were put in the game for no other reason than a gimmick, a toy. Taking them out does no good for anyone. Why do we need solution to rares, when there is no problem?

I don't believe he ever said anything about removing holiday items.

He talked about removing rares.

f203f1850c.png

nachalo

PROBLEM: Huge, huge, huge influx of gee pee into the economy. Vast inflation would insure. These items are unbelievably valuable - players have billions of GP worth. That much GP being thrown into the economy, with no new items to back it up, would be very similar to the US stimulus package. I do, however, wholeheartedly agree with the 'delete them' idea - or better yet, simply make them untradable. No 30 day warning window, just a shift from tradable to non tradable like every other holiday item.

konets

aiye so true but i still support.

34sny53.png

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Nacho or what ever

WHy the bloody hell should rares be removed?

They give something that us maxed players aim to buy (i have every godwars set so cant buy more) just because the new players cant afford one doesnt mean that they should be deleted.

I'm not saying they should be removed because new players can't afford them, I'm saying they should be removed because they aren't supposed to BE selling for such inflated prices. If you've read my posts in this topic you'll see that I've stated numerous times that I think everyone should be able to achieve the same thing through dedication and hard work. Key words: equal opportunity.

And for the main part you're addressing: the "inflated prices"? They ARE available to everyone given an equal opportunity. I can't see how this is not clear. If you have the ability to make money, you have the ability to obtain a santa hat, a pumpkin, etc.

The ONLY ITEMS members do NOT have an equal opportunity to are the Bunny Ears and Scythe. That's it.

hzvjpwS.gif

nachalo

I see where you are coming from and I agree with a lot of your points.

The only difference is I believe that the tradeable rares should remain the way they are and instead open up all the untradeable items to other players only.

If not then at least let the players who had an account created before the event but missed it for one reason or another (like me!) get the items they missed.

You have some good ideas though and I wouldn't mind too much if this all happened.

konets

i agree 100%, the only thing is with the already untradable ones, don't allow them to be regotten, cause those arew an actual symbol of seinority

But it would be evening everything out, the items converted into coins would be just fine. i think... haha

But players who collected all the rares will ger mad, and ppl may go above the gp cap, so that may be an issue, otherwise iagree 100%

armahiltsigsk7.png

hiltbannerfd4.png

Killer3650.png

Killer3650.png

Home World: 99

Irc-Chat: #Aod

i agree 100%, the only thing is with the already untradable ones, don't allow them to be regotten, cause those arew an actual symbol of seinority

But it would be evening everything out, the items converted into coins would be just fine. i think... haha

But players who collected all the rares will ger mad, and ppl may go above the gp cap, so that may be an issue, otherwise iagree 100%

Raising the GP cap is probably fairly simple as I mentioned before.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

Nachalo

I completely disagree. Whats the point here? You compare it to the wilderness, but that had massive potential to be abused as a way to free trade. It had to be removed for trade limits to work(even though they don't). What is the reason to "fix" rares? Just to give some noobs a hat? why....

You compare it to the real world, saying what if people sold paper hats irl. Well people sell cars for millions of dollars, homes, paintings, etc etc FOR THE SAME EXACT REASON PEOPLE SELL RARES. Because they are rare...... That is why people want that million dollar painting etc, and why party hats are so exspensive.

I understand what you are saying, but I just fail to see the point. Whats so bad with having an exspensive item that you can buy, wear, showoff, and lend to friends? They are called rares, but they are really easy to buy. The only thing stopping that level 3 from buying on is a few months hard work.

I just don't see how "the greater good" is letting some noobs get a party hat.....

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

Maybe we should ask Mark Gerhard. ::'

f203f1850c.png

Is he a computer scientist? I think Andrew would likely be the better candidate. ;)

Is he a computer scientist? I think Andrew would likely be the better candidate. ;)

Or give them Bank notes that gives them a certain amount of money for each one. Another possibility is to give them stacks of other items like needles or runes in equal value of what they loose.

Nachalo

I disagree, even though I wasn't a member of RuneScape Classic back in the day, I am fine with others having their own special 'veteran' items. Holiday items aren't really that special anymore, and the items that are can be bought with some hard work. I only started in April 2006, missing the Easter ring because I did not know of holiday events at the time that I started. I have missed the bunny ears, the scythe, the yo-yo, the rubber chicken, the zombie head, the Christmas hats, scarves, marionettes, and the Easter ring. I will never be able to get them but I'm fine with that. I can still buy santa hats, halloween masks, party hats, disks of returning, half wines, easter eggs, and pumpkins. Most of these are the ones that are treated as special and gain attention. It's just a fun item to show how hard you played, it does not devalue your hard work. I do not want people who just started now to be able to get the skeleton suit and pumpkin head this Halloween.

konets

Just a joke. =P I do think that changing the data type from int to long could work, but there's probably a simpler solution.

f203f1850c.png

Nachalo

I completely disagree. Whats the point here? You compare it to the wilderness, but that had massive potential to be abused as a way to free trade. It had to be removed for trade limits to work(even though they don't). What is the reason to "fix" rares? Just to give some noobs a hat? why....

You compare it to the real world, saying what if people sold paper hats irl. Well people sell cars for millions of dollars, homes, paintings, etc etc FOR THE SAME EXACT REASON PEOPLE SELL RARES. Because they are rare...... That is why people want that million dollar painting etc, and why party hats are so exspensive.

I understand what you are saying, but I just fail to see the point. Whats so bad with having an exspensive item that you can buy, wear, showoff, and lend to friends? They are called rares, but they are really easy to buy. The only thing stopping that level 3 from buying on is a few months hard work.

I just don't see how "the greater good" is letting some noobs get a party hat.....

Yes, they are rare items and how their price has changed over the years reflects that...but that's because Jagex is full of idiots and don't know how to plan ahead.

Instead of comparing this to a rare painting in real life, compare it to going to your family christmas and buying everyones' presents, then 10 years later all those presents are worth thousands of dollars when there's absolutely no reason they should be.

Their goal was to impliment some holiday items for people to have fun with and share with each other, but due to extremely poor planning and logistics behind it they failed miserably. This is why they do have a reason to do something about it, granted they probably won't because they have more important things to focus on (or at least should be focusing on), but if one day they announced a change is going to happen with holiday items then we players have no reason to criticize them for it.

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

First annual Clausmas - 2009 December 25

Nachalo

I absolutely don't agree with this idea. I value my scythe, and I like the way it separates me apart from the new players. I played all those years ago, shouldn't I get something special that will distinguish me from the average Joe who starts playing Runescape today?

And I absolutely love rares. They're part of the reason why I'm still playing this game (Rares & PKing); I have something to work towards. I can already get all the smaller rares, but I want a blue partyhat eventually. Rares are also great for merchanting, and they're something that gives players a chance to distinguish themselves even further. If you want a rare, you should work for it. I wouldn't want noobs wearing phats they don't deserve. Rares are pieces of history, and a few players willing to work for them will get to obtain such treasures. If everyone has the same treasures, then no one will have them because they're not treasures if everyone has them.

I'm sorry, but I don't support your thread.

final.gif

Nachalo

I absolutely don't agree with this idea. I value my scythe, and I like the way it separates me apart from the new players. I played all those years ago, shouldn't I get something special that will distinguish me from the average Joe who starts playing Runescape today?

And I absolutely love rares. They're part of the reason why I'm still playing this game (Rares & PKing); I have something to work towards. I can already get all the smaller rares, but I want a blue partyhat eventually. Rares are also great for merchanting, and they're something that gives players a chance to distinguish themselves even further. If you want a rare, you should work for it. I wouldn't want noobs wearing phats they don't deserve. Rares are pieces of history, and a few players willing to work for them will get to obtain such treasures. If everyone has the same treasures, then no one will have them because they're not treasures if everyone has them.

I'm sorry, but I don't support your thread.

I'm getting a lot of responses like this; what I'd like to know is why do you think us having played for a long time makes us "special"? Why should be be "recognized" as RSC players, what exactly does it do for us besides nothing? I really don't understand.

I'm getting a lot of responses like this; what I'd like to know is why do you think us having played for a long time makes us "special"? Why should be be "recognized" as RSC players, what exactly does it do for us besides nothing? I really don't understand.

The bigger question is why you don't feel that we should be. Tradable rares do nothing to prove or indicate how long you're playing, nor are they unique - anyone can buy them (with a whole wad of cash). No one can buy my Scythe, no matter how much they want it. Do they have the right to obtain something that they weren't around to get? No, they don't. Just like you don't deserve $100 from someone handing out cash to everyone on the street because you were busy at work, and couldn't get to him in enough time.

Sure, being recognized as an RSC player is rather moot nowadays, as even I've lost most consideration into it. That, however, doesn't mean that I'm just going to say "ok" to everyone getting a Scythe or Bunny Ears.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Looking back and my post, I feel that perhaps we shouldn't get all the old holiday items. Yet to those who are saying: "Go ahead, give a Yo-Yo and a Rubber Chicken to them, so long as they don't get our Bunny Ears." What can you say? RS2 of 2005 is AS MUCH history of RS as RSC.. Just because in RSC you had funny looking graphics and "everybody was so much nicer" doesn't mean that it's more history..

There would be people as bitterly upset about "losing" their Rubber Chickens or Yo-Yo's as you seem to be about the prospect of losing your Scythes/Bunny Ears.

After having read some posts saying that after having removed tradable Rares from the economy, one should not get them for free, but as milestone rewards, I agree. ::'

Nytestryke24

signature2inverted.png

[hide=Stats]nytestryke24.gif

[109 combat with Summoning ;)][/hide]

Sir Nachalo Teh Whimsy-poppington.

I do agree to an extent, I dont care much about a party hats wealth or The "Icon" of it, I just want one to have fun with, Like I did back in RSC when i still had one. FUN! The whole purpose of this game. not a competition to see who can grind the most levels, get the most rares or wealth; Its to have some damn Fun, and its NOT fun if the Fun is Fluxed by market manipulating Neebs.

Popoto.~<3

Sir Nachalo Teh Whimsy-poppington.

I do agree to an extent, I dont care much about a party hats wealth or The "Icon" of it, I just want one to have fun with, Like I did back in RSC when i still had one. FUN! The whole purpose of this game. not a competition to see who can grind the most levels, get the most rares or wealth; Its to have some damn Fun, and its NOT fun if the Fun is Fluxed by market manipulating Neebs.

You got it. :thumbup:

Compare this to a bad thing: a person walks down the street, and is killed by a falling anvil. This doesn't mean he did anything to deserve it, he was not a bad person at all. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The main difference being no one proposes killing everyone with an anvil out of fairness. This is a very poor comparison, has little to do with the overall point.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

The bigger question is why you don't feel that we should be. Tradable rares do nothing to prove or indicate how long you're playing, nor are they unique - anyone can buy them (with a whole wad of cash). No one can buy my Scythe, no matter how much they want it. Do they have the right to obtain something that they weren't around to get? No, they don't. Just like you don't deserve $100 from someone handing out cash to everyone on the street because you were busy at work, and couldn't get to him in enough time.

Sure, being recognized as an RSC player is rather moot nowadays, as even I've lost most consideration into it. That, however, doesn't mean that I'm just going to say "ok" to everyone getting a Scythe or Bunny Ears.

It's just an item. There's nothing special about IT, everyone should have a chance to get it. If you were asked to delete one weapon from the game forever, and you had a choice between the scythe and whip, which would you pick?

It's just an item. There's nothing special about IT, everyone should have a chance to get it. If you were asked to delete one weapon from the game forever, and you had a choice between the scythe and whip, which would you pick?

And as mentioned before (I'm wondering if none of my posts show up for you?)...

YOU say there's nothing special about the items.

OTHERS say there is.

You can't come around and say we're wrong for seeing the special connection and then, by the virtue of how you proved the other people wrong, come and say you're right.

The whip and the scythe are two completely different items--they can't even be compared.

hzvjpwS.gif