Oh how I miss you BTS...

rhupajiva

I also miss it. The thing i don't understand is why they didn't have a dd set up for today. Alot of people will be looking for the bts today and a good way for Jagex to show their direction and make people happy would of been to have one today.

Technically, it would've been better to release it yesterday, but I'm not surprised that it wasn't done today either. It seems so far that their update motif is "Tuesday", so it should be here tomorrow.

Personally, I hate spoilers. They always build your hopes up. Reduce the amount of spoilers, reduce the amount of anticipation associated with an update. (Best example: release of Construction.)

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer not having a BTS, no more assumptions about updates and 5million whiners when what they expect to be in an update doesen't come, and some killer suprises when an update comes out.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

BTS June 2007 made me about 35m and allowed me to get 99 Prayer on cheap D Bones. Had they not announced the Dark Bow until it came out, I would have been 88 Slayer and would have had to use Wild Pies. The 10 day window between BTS and the Dark Bow gave me enough time to go from 88-90. I will miss BTS dearly, but I should be able to do most new content upon release with my levels now.

Lugia_Lvl138.png

4x Phat owner: Blue, Green, 2x Purple

3100+ GWD bosses soloed.

Solo GWD Drops:

5 Bandos Plates, 4 Bandos Boots, 3 Bandos Hilts, 2 Arma Helms, Arma Skirt, Arma Plate, 3 Arma Hilts, 4 Zammy Spears, Steam Staff, 15 Sara Swords, 6 Sara Hilts, 29 Shards.

we've had them for a while now I remember the first one I was woodcutting with old clan KB and I saw desert month on main page, that was the first one in 05 I believe so over 3 years of them? :|

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

What I don't understand is, why did Jagex think they had to put EVERY update that was to happen that month in the BTS? why couldn't they limit it to the ones they knew for sure were ready to go and still have that element of surprise with the rest of the updates?

BTS June 2007 made me about 35m and allowed me to get 99 Prayer on cheap D Bones. Had they not announced the Dark Bow until it came out, I would have been 88 Slayer and would have had to use Wild Pies. The 10 day window between BTS and the Dark Bow gave me enough time to go from 88-90. I will miss BTS dearly, but I should be able to do most new content upon release with my levels now.

Oh gosh.. smoking kills... When I read that BTS and saw slayer update I tought "Merch Black Masks!" but when I told that to my merch friends they said "Na, it won't be good." Guess what, if I remember right black masks did 300k-700k in 1 week. 400k profit per black mask! Gosh...

ib7rVm.png

Think in the positive way. Now most of the Mondays/Tuesdays will have you eagerly waiting for a surprising, new update. Thats 4-5 days in month as compared to one ;)

Thanks..

Lord Shalaj

I do enjoy the anticipation.

I wonder what's coming tomorrow?

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

The more I think about it, the more I realize that this is a GREAT move for jagex and the community.

Sure I LOVED the BTS's and seeing what was to come, but in all honesty I think it caused more harm than good.

A prime example of this is when implings were released. About 2 summers ago I was getting my 99 hunter, and BOOM, the BTS says that implings with great rewards will be released, requiring up to 83 hunter to catch dragon ones! At the time of the BTS release I was around 92 hunt.

So, within that month I swear the amount of people with 83 hunter must have gotten 10x bigger...

This was not unfair though, because they were able to directly anticipate this because of the BTS. So when implings were finally released the people with 83 hunter HUGELY outnumbered the amount of good implings.

The main problem I see with the BTS's was that the Runescape community will do ANYTHING to try and gain an edge/take advantage on future updates. Especially now that the GE is around, people here word of a "combat update" (such as pvp worlds) and BOOM, it's impossible to buy super sets and decent gear. Even I have taken part in this style of merchanting (bought an ags the day before pvp worlds were released, sold for 5m more than i bought it)...But hey, why not? It was completely legal and it was the easiest 5m I've ever made.

So now that BTS's are gone, not only do we get nice surprises, but people don't go nuts anticipating updates by rapidly training their skills and/or buying out items from the GE.

Enough said, good move Jagex.

no point in bts if they don't release the updates they planned :cry:

How often has this happened? (I can only think of Mobilizing Armies)

Anyone remember Wilderness Tag? ::'

Along with the Boar...

As a pure F2Per I've been waiting a month for the Skill Capes to come out as they were promised, they didn't gave us them that month and I got even more excited the month after, then they turned out to be P2P :o

So now that BTS's are gone, not only do we get nice surprises, but people don't go nuts anticipating updates by rapidly training their skills and/or buying out items from the GE.

Isnt it beneficial for people to train skills they might have otherwise forgotten? Furthermore, merchanting is a big part of the game. Smart merchants will be able to guess on demand to make a pretty profit.

rhupajiva.png

I think getting rid of BTS is a way of Jagex trying to hide they fact they don't have too many ideas left and what they do plan, it fails and we just end up waiting for updates and don't get them (Just my opinion). Stealing Creations hopefully comes out this month, Ive waited for it for a while and am very sad it wasn't released sooner... Im not demanding or saying Jagex fails but getting rid of BTS just ruins the fun of waiting and working for this month. Usually knowing whats comming helps decide what you will do this month or what you will play for, without it Im hopeless...

On a side note...almost got enough for 1 month of runescape mems on my paypal so bewarned rs Im comming back this summer :P

Link2fast.png

mybbsig.png

I think getting rid of BTS is a way of Jagex trying to hide they fact they don't have too many ideas left and what they do plan, it fails and we just end up waiting for updates and don't get them (Just my opinion). Stealing Creations hopefully comes out this month, Ive waited for it for a while and am very sad it wasn't released sooner... Im not demanding or saying Jagex fails but getting rid of BTS just ruins the fun of waiting and working for this month. Usually knowing whats comming helps decide what you will do this month or what you will play for, without it Im hopeless...

On a side note...almost got enough for 1 month of runescape mems on my paypal so bewarned rs Im comming back this summer :P

Do you mean Mobilising Armies? Stealing Creation came out in November

rhupajiva.png

[hide=Quote]

no point in bts if they don't release the updates they planned :cry:

How often has this happened? (I can only think of Mobilizing Armies)

Anyone remember Wilderness Tag? ::'

Along with the Boar...

As a pure F2Per I've been waiting a month for the Skill Capes to come out as they were promised, they didn't gave us them that month and I got even more excited the month after, then they turned out to be P2P :o

[/hide]

Same here. At least without BTS we will not get our hopes up only to become disappointed.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

Damn, I didnt even realise they got rid of BTS (I just thought they had been slow this month #-o )

Well as long as the DD are regular enough It shouldn't matter to much, even if it was nice to see all the coming updates before they came out, helped me decide whether to keep P2P or not.

Theres a fine line between not listening and not caring,

I like to think I walk this line every day.

Pinning blame on Jagex is like trying to put pants on an old man.

You both know he needs them, but he'll just keep dancing around, avoiding them at all costs.

Isnt it beneficial for people to train skills they might have otherwise forgotten? Furthermore, merchanting is a big part of the game. Smart merchants will be able to guess on demand to make a pretty profit.

Did you not read my whole post???

[hide=My original post]

The more I think about it, the more I realize that this is a GREAT move for jagex and the community.

Sure I LOVED the BTS's and seeing what was to come, but in all honesty I think it caused more harm than good.

A prime example of this is when implings were released. About 2 summers ago I was getting my 99 hunter, and BOOM, the BTS says that implings with great rewards will be released, requiring up to 83 hunter to catch dragon ones! At the time of the BTS release I was around 92 hunt.

So, within that month I swear the amount of people with 83 hunter must have gotten 10x bigger...

This was not unfair though, because they were able to directly anticipate this because of the BTS. So when implings were finally released the people with 83 hunter HUGELY outnumbered the amount of good implings.

The main problem I see with the BTS's was that the Runescape community will do ANYTHING to try and gain an edge/take advantage on future updates. Especially now that the GE is around, people here word of a "combat update" (such as pvp worlds) and BOOM, it's impossible to buy super sets and decent gear. Even I have taken part in this style of merchanting (bought an ags the day before pvp worlds were released, sold for 5m more than i bought it)...But hey, why not? It was completely legal and it was the easiest 5m I've ever made.

[/hide]

The whole point of my post is that I like the fact that people who naturally train a skill to a high level should be rewarded with the good updates. As opposed to someone hearing about a high level skill requirement in the bts and then no-lifing the skill so they can have it ready for the release. Plus if the update actually is good then I'm sure people will train their skills to the required levels once the update is released, they just won't have the advantage of being the first to use the update.

As for merchanting...I think it's more fair for people to be basing their merchanting off of the current supply and demand...not the over-manipulated supply and demand of the future.

Personally, I am happy to see a BTS, and I think they did this so they could surprise us with some big updates. Who knows, maybe sailing really will come out.

Also, the quality of the updates will be a little bit better because programmers will not be rushed to get a game out at the set date.

lalalasig2.png

I have mixed feelings about it. I originally started playing before members even existed, (back in winter of 2002.) Anyway, back then there was no BTS, and when members ended up coming around there still was no BTS. Instead, they had an new release update (not bugfixes mind you.) once a month with all the updates for that month, and that was it.

The Behind the Scenes don't get me wrong I enjoy, but it really takes away from the surprise from the game. Now please don't flame with with things like, then don't read them noob if you want to be surprised...I see that as trying not to open a Christmas present that is staring you in the face that has a very high chance of being something you will enjoy.

Although, I think that if they do re-instate Behind The Scenes then they should make it with one key change. That change being only announce the things for that much, which are already ready, and they would be satisfied with releasing by the first weekday of that month (Note not necessarily releasing it that way due to business reasons.) This way it would help minimize the complainers about something not coming out that month due to a bug fix or so forth, because all of the bugs are already fixed. In fact I would say that the majority of the RS members could even agree with just one or two small updates for a given month in order for the rest of that time for the developers to be able to make sure that the things for the next month will be ready by the first weekday of that month.

captain_poet.png

I'm sort of disappointed we'll never get them any more, but in a way it enhances the surprise and will hopefully stop all the god-awful threads that complain about an update before it's even introduced.

Yeah, god forbid the players that pay criticize Jagex. :roll:

I'm sure it will save them money in the long run, some people not canceling their membership when they see a terrible month. It should also make sure they can stay lazy, instead of going through with what they said they would come out with that month. Sometimes they just don't come out with an update. I liked BTS, I will wait to see the cycle of DDs before I say anything negative about this move.

Overall, saves them time and money, but the players lose.

sotw7bar.png

So, since there's no BTS...

... there might be an update tomorrow and we have no idea what it is at all.

I will miss the BTS but this way is definitely an interesting way of keeping players on their toes for updates.

11th to 99 Summoning

85th to 99 Runecrafting

soulattacker.png