May 20th: New Slayer Monster Information.

Poppet

Honestly?

This monster will be camped for weeks to get this rare drop which the grand exchange will drive up to multiple millions in price because of "I want one too-ism", oh, and the reason it gets camped for weeks is because so many people have 78+ slayer, not to mention those that have around 73-77 and pie them.

In reality, you go for over 6.5 million exp without getting ANY new monsters to kill.

And dark beasts aren't exactly brilliant, from what I hear (Currently only 88 slayer)

Soooo...Let me get this straight.

We get a new massivly overpriced item which will eventually crash when people realise it can't be as good as whip or dragon boots since it only requires 78 slayer to get. Any people who are slaying at the time avoid this task like the plauge since every Tom, [bleep] and Harry is trying to camp it for this special drop. Oh, and all the dedicated slayers get ticked off because they STILL have over 6.5 million exp without anything new to kill.

Normally I support Jagex' judgement with these things, but I'm sorry, this is just terrible.

And Jagex will be "generous" and tweak the Slayer Masters so that they have a much higher probability of assigning this creature for the first two weeks after its release. :wall:

td2sig.jpg

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly?

This monster will be camped for weeks to get this rare drop which the grand exchange will drive up to multiple millions in price because of "I want one too-ism", oh, and the reason it gets camped for weeks is because so many people have 78+ slayer, not to mention those that have around 73-77 and pie them.

In reality, you go for over 6.5 million exp without getting ANY new monsters to kill.

And dark beasts aren't exactly brilliant, from what I hear (Currently only 88 slayer)

Soooo...Let me get this straight.

We get a new massivly overpriced item which will eventually crash when people realise it can't be as good as whip or dragon boots since it only requires 78 slayer to get. Any people who are slaying at the time avoid this task like the plauge since every Tom, [bleep] and Harry is trying to camp it for this special drop. Oh, and all the dedicated slayers get ticked off because they STILL have over 6.5 million exp without anything new to kill.

Normally I support Jagex' judgement with these things, but I'm sorry, this is just terrible.

tell me something new,

This happened to EVERY NEW ITEM since i play runescape..

]Gonalo40.png

Uhmmmm, What the hell are people complaining about?

1. If you have 99 slayer, and you're so pissed off that there's nothing between 90-99- WHY the hell did you train past 90?! if you genuinely enjoyed the skill, you'd just be happy that you achieved your goal of 99, regardless of new monsters in between.

2. if you have 99 slayer, you DO have more monsters than someone of a lower level. at 99, you can fight EVERY slayer monster, as compared to 55 slayer, where you cant. so how can you possibly say you have LESS? you have less new monsters becoming available, sure, but you still have more monsters to fight that the 55 slayer dude.

3. Jagex cant cater to the few, they're a multi-million dollar corporation, they have to try to appease the masses, and they are working on higher level content, its YOUR problem if you cant accept that 78 is a high level. Just because 99 takes longer, doesnt mean 78 isnt high.

Honestly, slayer is getting a new monster, and you all have the ability to slay it. stop your [bleep]ing whining already and just be happy. They arent going to stop making updates for the majority. Yes, it would be really nice to have extras in the last few levels, but the number of people in that bracket dont justify spending their time making an update specifically for those people.

the player base is comprised mainly of players between levels 30- 85ish. this is where the MAJORITY of players are. there are millions of players in this game, and just because you are in the select few who has the time or determination to max out, doesnt mean you're worth more to Jagex than the 78,000 other PAYING customers with 78 slayer already.

They will eventually give you all updates. have patience, and enjoy what is released, because guess what? having 99 slayer doesnt ban you from killing a level 78 slayer monster! its crazy isnt it? every update you can play, and having levels higher than the requirements doesnt prevent you from playing them!

so do everyone a favor and shut up. Really, 13 pages of the supposed 'higher class' players doing nothing but [bleep] and moan that 78 slayer isnt favorable to their almighty expectations and standards, gets kinda boring, not to mention annoying, and a little sad.

Act like big kids, you're getting a new toy just like everyone else.

Reverents can be a pain, but you can run away from them. Just curious, do they still have teleblocking ability?

Fear the church, the reverents have 85 magic!!!!

Lol. If it's not that good people will probably stop camping within a week anyway. I mean, why would they want to be there when it would label you an inferior low level peasant?

If we go by this logic, technically we shouldn't make ANY lower level content than say, 80. Otherwise it's just a waste of the game. A level 78 slayer monster? That's just HORRIBLE. I mean, just look at those chickens and cows. Those things are a crime against nature. Level 78? That's like, mocking the gods to come so close to something you could use but can't because you're above that level. I bet just touching it would take away a few of your levels.

Heck, maybe we should just remove all the content below level 80. It's useless, right? Forget everybody below that level. They should all just leave because nobody cares. Let the game be enjoyed only by the high level people, because they started the game at a high level and were never low leveled before that point. And if they DID start off at, heaven forbid, level 3, they wouldn't need anything at all before level 80 because they would have the cognitive abilities of pond scum.

I mean, do you use anything below level 80 requirements anymore? I bet you'd rather go nude than have to bother wearing anything lower leveled than that.

In conclusion, we have to nuke Lumbridge in a pre-emptive strike before more low level people come in and ruin the game for everybody.

8f14270694.jpg

1. If you have 99 slayer, and you're so pissed off that there's nothing between 90-99- WHY the hell did you train past 90?! if you genuinely enjoyed the skill, you'd just be happy that you achieved your goal of 99, regardless of new monsters in between.

Its nice to have something new to do while slaying for 7 MILLION EXP

2. if you have 99 slayer, you DO have more monsters than someone of a lower level. at 99, you can fight EVERY slayer monster, as compared to 55 slayer, where you cant. so how can you possibly say you have LESS? you have less new monsters becoming available, sure, but you still have more monsters to fight that the 55 slayer dude.

Once again, 7 MILLION EXP without a new monster

3. Jagex cant cater to the few, they're a multi-million dollar corporation, they have to try to appease the masses, and they are working on higher level content, its YOUR problem if you cant accept that 78 is a high level. Just because 99 takes longer, doesnt mean 78 isnt high.

High leveled should wait longer for new content now?

Honestly, slayer is getting a new monster, and you all have the ability to slay it. stop your [bleep] whining already and just be happy. They arent going to stop making updates for the majority. Yes, it would be really nice to have extras in the last few levels, but the number of people in that bracket dont justify spending their time making an update specifically for those people.

And this new monster is camped by practically everyone who as 78 slayer or above. Also, the new drop is "strangled" by the grand exchange. Another thing, you say that there aren't enough players in the bracket, but these players are the ones who have been loyal to runescape for longer than most other people, so why shouldn't they be rewarded for their loyalty?

the player base is comprised mainly of players between levels 30- 85ish. this is where the MAJORITY of players are. there are millions of players in this game, and just because you are in the select few who has the time or determination to max out, doesnt mean you're worth more to Jagex than the 78,000 other PAYING customers with 78 slayer already.

See second part of the above answer

They will eventually give you all updates. have patience, and enjoy what is released, because guess what? having 99 slayer doesnt ban you from killing a level 78 slayer monster! its crazy isnt it? every update you can play, and having levels higher than the requirements doesnt prevent you from playing them!

But what does prevent us from killing them is the fact that its going to be camped by thousands of players, because of the low requirements.

so do everyone a favor and shut up. Really, 13 pages of the supposed 'higher class' players doing nothing but [bleep] and moan that 78 slayer isnt favorable to their almighty expectations and standards, gets kinda boring, not to mention annoying, and a little sad.

2Xeo5.png

Honestly, slayer is getting a new monster, and you all have the ability to slay it. stop your [bleep] whining already and just be happy. They arent going to stop making updates for the majority. Yes, it would be really nice to have extras in the last few levels, but the number of people in that bracket dont justify spending their time making an update specifically for those people.

Actually, the majority of RuneScape accounts are level 3-10 with under 100 skill total, does this mean we should delete everything that requires level 15+ in a skill? Only thousands of people have each 99 skill, does that mean we should remove skill capes because only a "few" can enjoy them? Since "almost everyone" is under level 85, does that mean that no one ever goes to the Godwars Dungeon?

I'd like to make two points here:

•  
    [*:2acgde8w]Accounts with higher levels tend to be more active in RuneScape, and thus less likely to quit their membership. These 90+ people are the ones who really provide the core of RS. If there are so few of us, why did so many post here?

[*:2acgde8w]Just because a player cannot kill a monster or do a quest right away doesn't mean that they'll never be able to enjoy that piece of content. It's important that Jagex set things above the average player to entice them to train their skills. If they come out with a new Slayer monster at a level most people can kill it, the excitement will wear off in 1-2 weeks. If they come out with a high level Slayer monster, it will provide them months of membership while people try to train to kill it, which takes rather longer than amusing yourself by killing it in the first place.

2496 Completionist

Seeing as it's lvl 78, Duradel will assign it... It's gonna be fun trying to do an actual task there with the hoards of people camping it for the special drop.

Maybe Jagex can tweak it so you can only kill it on a task for the first few weeks or so?

asrhasrh.jpg

78 slayer at the moment so im set

This is the kind of mentiality I was talking about.

Sorry to say.

I don't see the problem?

ANY monster with a new drop will be camped, no matter what level it requires (albeit with less people).

Jagex aren't stupid, people are assuming this is going to be a single release, perhaps it won't be - it makes more sense for a new batch of slayer monsters to be released at once.

I expect if a slayer monster were announced to be released for a slayer level higher than your own you would train to get that level and then you'd probably camp to cash in on any new drop - most people would.

Onnnn the other hand, slayer does need a bit of variety past 85, but they haven't denied releasing any other monsters along with this one, they just want a name for it..

I think we should wait and see the whole picture first. :thumbup:

Drow4.png

This is actually an incentive to keep me training slayer for these last 2 lvls instead of going to AZ's for a while. And by the time I get 78 they will (see: might) be less crowded and easier to kill. At the same time, I do not look forward to getting the high lvls where nothing happens for millions of exp :? .

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

Actually, the majority of RuneScape accounts are level 3-10 with under 100 skill total, does this mean we should delete everything that requires level 15+ in a skill? Only thousands of people have each 99 skill, does that mean we should remove skill capes because only a "few" can enjoy them? Since "almost everyone" is under level 85, does that mean that no one ever goes to the Godwars Dungeon?

I'd like to make two points here:

Accounts with higher levels tend to be more active in RuneScape, and thus less likely to quit their membership. These 90+ people are the ones who really provide the core of RS. If there are so few of us, why did so many post here?

Just because a player cannot kill a monster or do a quest right away doesn't mean that they'll never be able to enjoy that piece of content. It's important that Jagex set things above the average player to entice them to train their skills. If they come out with a new Slayer monster at a level most people can kill it, the excitement will wear off in 1-2 weeks. If they come out with a high level Slayer monster, it will provide them months of membership while people try to train to kill it, which takes rather longer than amusing yourself by killing it in the first place.

Not once did I say delete everything. the majority of the PAYING player base is between levels 30-85, or at least has a skill total indicative of someone who plays somewhat regularly. Yes there are millions of accounts between level 3-10 with under 100 total levels, but these arent the accounts that jagex caters to in new content updates.

Like any business, Jagex already has a base for their product, current updates are additions to attract, and keep the LARGEST amount of people possible. so, 78,000 players vs remarkably fewer players- the 78,000 are the clear winners of who to update. the 78,000 marker, shows how many people can use the update first day, and is also an indication, that there will be LOTS more people soon to be aple to use the update, and many who will reach it eventually.

Higher levels are NOT the core of runescape- they are the minority. I'll be generous and say that over 100 people have posted their distaste of this update here. the magic of numbers reveals the truth 100 < 78,000. sorry to say, but jagex wants money, and 100 happy customers here, could mean- generously- 10,000 happy customers in all runescape. this update makes closer to 68,000 happy customers (minus all the whining 90+ slayers). they want more happy customers, and more money.

on a financial standpoint, you and any other member are exactly the same. in fact, the newer player seems more likely to keep playing with the attitude shown here- high level players seem so angry with updates that my instinct says they'd be more likely to quit out of dissapointment, than a lower level player would.

High leveled should wait longer for new content now?

yes, you should wait longer- the rate of inflation in equipment power and monster power is already growing far too fast. Jagex already made a mistake with releasing so many high level updates and equipment in quick succession.

And this new monster is camped by practically everyone who as 78 slayer or above. Also, the new drop is "strangled" by the grand exchange. Another thing, you say that there aren't enough players in the bracket, but these players are the ones who have been loyal to runescape for longer than most other people, so why shouldn't they be rewarded for their loyalty?

Guess what? you can camp there too! if you dont like competition for new items, all that tells me is you're a greedy and money hungry player who wants the new drop all to himself and the select few who would be able to corner the profit, and make a new dclaws. and again, loyalty does not equal more money, Jagex wants players to stay, but they also want- take a guess- more players. a level 90 update, affects a small amount of people. the main player base wont come close to a level 90 for a long time, and therefore dont give a rats [wagon] about a level 90 update.

level 78 is much more approachable, while still maintaining a difficulty level, being about 1.5 million experience, 78 isnt an easy task. compared to 99, yes it is a smaller accomplishment, but it is in no way EASY.

But what does prevent us from killing them is the fact that its going to be camped by thousands of players, because of the low requirements.

bring some air strikes? seriously, if you cant adapt to handle obstacles, you'll die. I understand how crowded new updates get, but guess what? not all 78000 players with 78 slayer will be online, not to mention that with all the available worlds, not all 2000 people will be there trying to take a crack at them. In reality, you wont have that much trouble getting a few kills. there are alot of people who CAN kill them, that doesnt mean that they all will, or that they'll even try, lots will, but theres still enough worlds that you'll be able to find open enough space to get your hands on the shiny new drop.

Reverents can be a pain, but you can run away from them. Just curious, do they still have teleblocking ability?

Not once did I say delete everything. the majority of the PAYING player base is between levels 30-85, or at least has a skill total indicative of someone who plays somewhat regularly. Yes there are millions of accounts between level 3-10 with under 100 total levels, but these arent the accounts that jagex caters to in new content updates.

Those 30-85 leveled players already have tons of material available to them and they have so much to look forward to, and in such a small xp span. High levels work harder and yet they have nothing to look forward to in such a large xp span. It makes absolutely no sense. This isn't a matter of low levels quitting if Jagex didn't release a 78 slayer monster. In fact, I'd say quite the opposite. Low levels have tons to do already so why should you be worried about losing them? High levels are the ones with no new material, so I would say that they are the group that is more likely to have quitters. Oh yeah and I'd like to use myself as an example... 2100 Total, nothing really new or exciting about RS in my eyes anymore. So I decided to play console games instead.

Like any business, Jagex already has a base for their product, current updates are additions to attract, and keep the LARGEST amount of people possible. so, 78,000 players vs remarkably fewer players- the 78,000 are the clear winners of who to update. the 78,000 marker, shows how many people can use the update first day, and is also an indication, that there will be LOTS more people soon to be aple to use the update, and many who will reach it eventually.

Jagex isn't only a business. They are a gaming company too and as such they should provide a game that is fun for everyone - not just a portion of the customers. High levels are paying customers too and their population increases overtime, except for the ones who quit (which is probably because of lack of high leveled updates anyways :-w :-w ). It doesn't make sense in a video game to have the harder workers get the same treatment as people who don't work as hard. Especially when you take into account all the xp they gained over the people with 78 Slayer.

Acting like a noob is horrible for your case man. You expect people to take you seriously now? But anyways, you should continue this debate by all means. It should be fun.

This line of reasoning is flawed. Most level 30-85 players do NOT have 78 slayer. I don't care if you call level 78 medium or high level content, but the fact that Jagex made an update for people out of the little average box yet still targeted it at the wrong level (we've been promised more level 90+ creatures for ages) means we have to wait even longer for a long overdue update. If Jagex had not had to spend so much time on replacing failed PvP systems, then Slayer updates would be more frequent, and a level 78 monster wouldn't be as troubling.

In addition to that counterargument, Jagex has always managed to promise some high leveled content, and has occasionally made these updates (God Wars for example). Using this model for updates, we would NEVER get anything aimed at players above level 85 or whatever, because you can always find a bigger audience to cater to. There has to be at least a little bit of high end content, and for Slayer this is long overdue.

Higher levels are NOT the core of runescape- they are the minority. I'll be generous and say that over 100 people have posted their distaste of this update here. the magic of numbers reveals the truth 100 < 78,000. sorry to say, but jagex wants money, and 100 happy customers here, could mean- generously- 10,000 happy customers in all runescape. this update makes closer to 68,000 happy customers (minus all the whining 90+ slayers). they want more happy customers, and more money.

Your numbers are warped here as well. 18614 people have level 90 Slayer and would be able to kill a level 95; in addition, 7512 people have 95 Slayer and would be able to kill it without assistance. So it really is many thousands of people who would be able to kill a high level monster. By the way, it doesn't have to be 95 - we'd be happy with a 87/88 or a 92/93 monster as well.

And while 18614 < 78000, a factor that isn't taken into account is whether the rest of the 78000 would like that update. You are speaking as if whichever group isn't catered to will quit immediately. I'm sure that many of the other ~60000 people would like the update as well because they could look forward to it and have a reason to train the skill.. You keep saying "level 90+ could enjoy the update as well!" but it works the other way around.

Guess what? you can camp there too! if you dont like competition for new items, all that tells me is you're a greedy and money hungry player who wants the new drop all to himself and the select few who would be able to corner the profit, and make a new dclaws. and again, loyalty does not equal more money, Jagex wants players to stay, but they also want- take a guess- more players. a level 90 update, affects a small amount of people. the main player base wont come close to a level 90 for a long time, and therefore dont give a rats [wagon] about a level 90 update.

You're quite opinionated and this whole segment has no solid evidence as to why the player base would react a certain way. I'll focus on the new arguments you brought up: how players make money off new updates. There are two ways to balance the price of a new drop and both are used regularly in RuneScape. The first balancing measure is making the monster extremely difficult to kill but making the drops very profitable. This is employed in places like Tormented Demons, the Corporeal Beast, and God Wars Dungeon. The other way to balance drops are to make the monster easier to kill but the drop extremely rare. This is seen in places like Cave Horrors and their rare black Mask drops, or Tormented Wraths and their one redeeming drop, the Holy Elixir.

As time goes on both these measures and used again and again. One must be used if the drop's price is to stay where intended. It is completely a matter of preference which balance you like. You could kill certain monsters with very low levels and get a few rare drops, or you could invest some time, train, and make a much better profit. I tend to lean toward the latter, because it pays off more in the long-run, but it is simply a matter of opinion and you shouldn't use it as an argument to call people "greedy."

level 78 is much more approachable, while still maintaining a difficulty level, being about 1.5 million experience, 78 isnt an easy task. compared to 99, yes it is a smaller accomplishment, but it is in no way EASY.

I have a different set of numbers: about 80000 people have 78 slayer and about 110000 have 73 slayer (being able to kill a level 78 monster). If that doesn't shout "easy" I'm not sure what does.

2496 Completionist

Rofl... guys... they just want a name :lol:

I know you probably know this, but it really is a deep issue. It's that never ending argument of balance. I've lol'd at every argument against a 90+ Slayer monster. These tipiters are so short sighted and narrow minded that it's amazing to me that they actually found their way to a computer. Since when is a gaming company supposed to cater to the majority? World of Warcraft's entire gameplay is centered around the end game. Granted, the end game is much easier to reach, but in a game like Runescape where almost everyone has GOALS, it seems silly to implement such a low level creature.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Rofl.... Why would you just want to give a name when you can write a whole essay on your dissapointment in Jagex?

Anyway to be honest this is the way i see it. Most players have slayer levels between 55 and 60. Most people never even think f getting to 83 and above for the sole reason that it takes ages because its the slowest skill to train. Releasing a "lower" leveled Slayer Monster would would give alot of other players the right motivation needed to train their Slayer (assuming the minster has decent drops. And i am assuming this monster would be dropping alot of Water Runes, Water Staves, Water Orbs, etc.) The way i see it Jagex made the right move on making a lower Slayer monster. They cater for the minority. Try to change they minority into a majarity and then cater for them. With this in mind Jagex is only going to recieve a few thoudand rants from the players with high Slayer levels saying that they wanted a higher Leveld monster. Now on the other hand they would have recieved a good 50 thousand rants (if not more) from every player with a lower Slayer level saying that they wished they would get something new to slay. Would you rather have 50k rants or 1k? Quite logic isnt it. And then we get back to the part about turning a minority into a majority. Lower slayer monster would increase the ammount of people returning to slayer. This would increase they ammount of people with higher Slayer Levels. This would encourage Jagex to release some higher level content. Its alway better to please the majority rather than they minirity. Rather loose the money of 1000 slayer than they money of 50 000.

I hope this makes sense. As for a name. I am really not creative enough to come up with one but am hoping it has something to do with Aqua.

demonic.png

comment-1.jpg

**Thanks to Boo_Boy666 for my amazing Singnature**

[hide=Slaytanicc's Achievments]|99Cooking achieved 24Dec 2008|99Strength achieved 17Feb 2009|99Hit Points achieved 8April 2009|

|99Defense achieved 29May 2009|99Attack achieved 2August 2009|99Ranged achieved 14August 2009|[/hide]

[hide=Guides by Slaytanicc]Aviansie Maging + Ranging Guide (Must Read!!)

Iron Mining + Banking Guide

Green Dragons Guide

Ankou Slaying Guide[/hide]

Rofl.... Why would you just want to give a name when you can write a whole essay on your dissapointment in Jagex?

Anyway to be honest this is the way i see it. Most players have slayer levels between 55 and 60. Most people never even think f getting to 83 and above for the sole reason that it takes ages because its the slowest skill to train. Releasing a "lower" leveled Slayer Monster would would give alot of other players the right motivation needed to train their Slayer (assuming the minster has decent drops. And i am assuming this monster would be dropping alot of Water Runes, Water Staves, Water Orbs, etc.) The way i see it Jagex made the right move on making a lower Slayer monster. They cater for the minority. Try to change they minority into a majarity and then cater for them. With this in mind Jagex is only going to recieve a few thoudand rants from the players with high Slayer levels saying that they wanted a higher Leveld monster. Now on the other hand they would have recieved a good 50 thousand rants (if not more) from every player with a lower Slayer level saying that they wished they would get something new to slay. Would you rather have 50k rants or 1k? Quite logic isnt it. And then we get back to the part about turning a minority into a majority. Lower slayer monster would increase the ammount of people returning to slayer. This would increase they ammount of people with higher Slayer Levels. This would encourage Jagex to release some higher level content. Its alway better to please the majority rather than they minirity. Rather loose the money of 1000 slayer than they money of 50 000.

I hope this makes sense. As for a name. I am really not creative enough to come up with one but am hoping it has something to do with Aqua.

Brilliant logic. 50,000 players will quit if Jagex releases a high level slayer monster? Low levels have enough motivation to play this game. If a high level slayer monster is released, EVERYONE benefits. High levels get to break out their slayer helmets once again, and lower levels are inspired to work harder to get there. More players will quit because of low level updates than low levels will quit because of high level updates.

Either way, not many players will quit at all... certainly not your ridiculous number of 50,000. By your logic, no high level updates should ever be released.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Brilliant logic. 50,000 players will quit if Jagex releases a high level slayer monster? Low levels have enough motivation to play this game. If a high level slayer monster is released, EVERYONE benefits. High levels get to break out their slayer helmets once again, and lower levels are inspired to work harder to get there. More players will quit because of low level updates than low levels will quit because of high level updates.

Either way, not many players will quit at all... certainly not your ridiculous number of 50,000. By your logic, no high level updates should ever be released.

Awww someone seems a bit upset by the update. If you had taken more than 4 second to read what i said then you would realise the logic behind it. I said its always better to satisfy the majority. The majprity has low-idh slayer levels (like myself). Do you really think a player with 60 Slayer would be at all inspired to get 95 Slayer for a new monster when he failed to get even 85 or as low as 83 for a current monster? now now, were is the logic in that? :shame:

And i never said anything about quiting. I just said that they might lose interrest in being a member and become f2P.Why pay for something you cant use? Why pay for something that will take you ages to unlock? now that there is another lower level monster more players will get back to slaying. More members will get high slayer levels. Less players will complain next time a high level slayer monster is released. It all works out in the end. Higher players are just going to have to hold out a little longer.

demonic.png

comment-1.jpg

[hide=Slaytanicc's Achievments]|99Cooking achieved 24Dec 2008|99Strength achieved 17Feb 2009|99Hit Points achieved 8April 2009|

|99Defense achieved 29May 2009|99Attack achieved 2August 2009|99Ranged achieved 14August 2009|[/hide]

Green Dragons Guide

Low levels have tons to do already so why should you be worried about losing them? High levels are the ones with no new material, so I would say that they are the group that is more likely to have quitters.

Well, now I'm seeing something that bothers me. My argument is NOT that high levels dont deserve any updates, my argument is saying that jagex isnt doing anything wrong by making a level 78 slayer monster. I agree 100% that they should release new high level content, it adds dynamic to the game, and gives goals and fun extra's to play.

My argument is solely about this update, and dragging anything but this update into your counter-argument doesnt make sense, but feel free to vent, I just dont consider it valid when talking about the release of a level 78 slayer monster, and talking about no new high level releases in general. I'm talking more about the slayer debate than high level content debate.

Jagex isn't only a business. They are a gaming company too and as such they should provide a game that is fun for everyone - not just a portion of the customers. High levels are paying customers too and their population increases overtime, except for the ones who quit (which is probably because of lack of high leveled updates anyways ). It doesn't make sense in a video game to have the harder workers get the same treatment as people who don't work as hard. Especially when you take into account all the xp they gained over the people with 78 Slayer.

again I agree whole heartedly- Jagex SHOULD be releasing game content to higher levels too, and not just catering to the hungry masses. But the point is that they ARENT doing what they SHOULD. But nor are they doing anything particularly wrong, they have stated that they are working on higher level content, but unfortunately this is the year of upgrades, not content, so dont expect much this year.

but again, this isnt so much about slayer. Slayer isnt the largest skill, and in my eyes any addition is welcome. 78 is high, and they arent so much rewarding level 78 slayers, as just adding a new monster, the fact that so many people have that slayer level means that it will be a well recieved and used update- thus happy customers getting something new.

Acting like a noob is horrible for your case man. You expect people to take you seriously now? But anyways, you should continue this debate by all means. It should be fun.

Those 30-85 leveled players already have tons of material available to them and they have so much to look forward to, and in such a small xp span. High levels work harder and yet they have nothing to look forward to in such a large xp span. It makes absolutely no sense. This isn't a matter of low levels quitting if Jagex didn't release a 78 slayer monster. In fact, I'd say quite the opposite. Low levels have tons to do already so why should you be worried about losing them? High levels are the ones with no new material, so I would say that they are the group that is more likely to have quitters. Oh yeah and I'd like to use myself as an example... 2100 Total, nothing really new or exciting about RS in my eyes anymore. So I decided to play console games instead.

call it noob like if you wish, but acting unreasonable about a release that A- hasnt happened yet, and B- doesnt hurt you in any way; you still get new content, is very frustrating and annoying, and honestly seems pretty 'noob-like' to me. Be bigger than that, if you're getting bored of runescape, take a break, wait until there's tons of new stuff for you to do, it sounds like you've plateaued(sp) and are getting frustrated by it.

This line of reasoning is flawed. Most level 30-85 players do NOT have 78 slayer. I don't care if you call level 78 medium or high level content, but the fact that Jagex made an update for people out of the little average box yet still targeted it at the wrong level (we've been promised more level 90+ creatures for ages) means we have to wait even longer for a long overdue update. If Jagex had not had to spend so much time on replacing failed PvP systems, then Slayer updates would be more frequent, and a level 78 monster wouldn't be as troubling.

another good point, which I agree with for the most part. its true that level 30-85 generally wouldnt have a slayer level as high as 78. which is why 78 is a considerably high slayer level. the majority of runescapes player base DOES NOT have 78 slayer, thus it is a fairly high level content release. and as for Jagex slacking in their releases and being generally sloppy and slow- yes I agree 100%, they arent doing a very good job.

In addition to that counterargument, Jagex has always managed to promise some high leveled content, and has occasionally made these updates (God Wars for example). Using this model for updates, we would NEVER get anything aimed at players above level 85 or whatever, because you can always find a bigger audience to cater to. There has to be at least a little bit of high end content, and for Slayer this is long overdue.

again this is straying from the discussion of a level 78 slayer monster- Jagex does occasionally make high level content releases, and I enjoy them too. No they dont make enough. Yes they usually take the more money road and release lower level content to feed to the masses, rather than high level content to appease their long time loyal and high level players. I'm not saying that jagex follows this rule for EVERY release, I'm only telling you the reasoning behind THIS release. it is still high level whether you'll accept it or not, but it also appeals to a large quantity of the player base.

Your numbers are warped here as well. 18614 people have level 90 Slayer and would be able to kill a level 95; in addition, 7512 people have 95 Slayer and would be able to kill it without assistance. So it really is many thousands of people who would be able to kill a high level monster. By the way, it doesn't have to be 95 - we'd be happy with a 87/88 or a 92/93 monster as well.

Yeah my numbers probably are off, I'm pulling them clear out of estimates, and for guessing 10,000 90+ slayers when the real number is 18,614- I'd say i did half decent. the fact remains that this release is a publicity stunt, and they are targetting as much of their effective profit source as possible. The same thing happened with the pheonix- publicity stunt, they gave the players a fun little poll to choose a familiar, the phoenix is level 72 i believe? nobody complained that IT was too low level a release, though they did complain that the pheonix is pretty useless.

And while 18614 < 78000, a factor that isn't taken into account is whether the rest of the 78000 would like that update. You are speaking as if whichever group isn't catered to will quit immediately. I'm sure that many of the other ~60000 people would like the update as well because they could look forward to it and have a reason to train the skill.. You keep saying "level 90+ could enjoy the update as well!" but it works the other way around.

All i have to say here, is that before i had a godsword and after i had a godsword were very different things. Thinking about how fun a godsword would be, and having the goal to get the money for one and working for it- was entertaining. Actually having the godsword? MUCH more entertaining that just hoping for one. yes, lower levels can set a goal to reach the new monster- does that make it satisfying content? hell no. does that give them a meaningful release? No it does not. the fact remains that more people can USE this update than not, and that's what jagex wants.

If they planned a slayer release that didnt involve players choosing things, then they'd probably release higher level content, not to mention more content all around. sofar everytime a release has been from a poll, its been relatively low level. Why? because then the majority of the people who voted (levels 30-85) actually get to use it! or at least are close to using it.

As time goes on both these measures and used again and again. One must be used if the drop's price is to stay where intended. It is completely a matter of preference which balance you like. You could kill certain monsters with very low levels and get a few rare drops, or you could invest some time, train, and make a much better profit. I tend to lean toward the latter, because it pays off more in the long-run, but it is simply a matter of opinion and you shouldn't use it as an argument to call people "greedy."

I'm sure that there are plenty of people who are mad about this release because they wont be the only ones able to use it. sorry if you were offended, but I'm trying to address as many angles on this as I can, but I'm starting to see why people are so mad about it, and its not about the drops, so my bad on that comment.

as far as i can tell, people are mad at jagex for the lack of high level releases in general, and this makes sense, but bashing every single small release wont help.

I have a different set of numbers: about 80000 people have 78 slayer and about 110000 have 73 slayer (being able to kill a level 78 monster). If that doesn't shout "easy" I'm not sure what does.

i'm not sure how many people play runescape, but lets say its between 1-10 million, so~190,000 people out of a few million can use this update- that equates to anywhere between 20-2% of the player population, i'd say that it isnt too common. and 1.5 million experience isnt easy to get. nor is it easy to get 10 times over to reach level 99, but the fact remains that 1.5 million experience is hard to get (not to mention the increased exp rates in every skill as you get closer to 99 ;) )

So hopefully that clears up my side of this- I'm not talking about ALL high level content and the lack of releases. I'm talking about this release in particular, and why its fine that it's a level 78 release. YES a level 87/88/91-99 slayer monster is needed, does it have to be this one? No. This monster is a public option, and seeing as jagex is including the players in the creation (or at least naming) of this monster, they're going to want as many people as possible to be able to use it.

the fact still remains that this monster will be the new strongest monster in the slayer dungeon, and will have a new unique drop, and is still relatively high leveled. If you're sore about the lack of high level content, thats fine, and totally justified, but dont drag down this specific update- because its fine how it is.

edit- had a couple quotes twice, cleaned them out

Low levels have tons to do already so why should you be worried about losing them? High levels are the ones with no new material, so I would say that they are the group that is more likely to have quitters.

Well, now I'm seeing something that bothers me. My argument is NOT that high levels dont deserve any updates, my argument is saying that jagex isnt doing anything wrong by making a level 78 slayer monster. I agree 100% that they should release new high level content, it adds dynamic to the game, and gives goals and fun extra's to play.

My argument is solely about this update, and dragging anything but this update into your counter-argument doesnt make sense, but feel free to vent, I just dont consider it valid when talking about the release of a level 78 slayer monster, and talking about no new high level releases in general. I'm talking more about the slayer debate than high level content debate.

Jagex isn't only a business. They are a gaming company too and as such they should provide a game that is fun for everyone - not just a portion of the customers. High levels are paying customers too and their population increases overtime, except for the ones who quit (which is probably because of lack of high leveled updates anyways ). It doesn't make sense in a video game to have the harder workers get the same treatment as people who don't work as hard. Especially when you take into account all the xp they gained over the people with 78 Slayer.

again I agree whole heartedly- Jagex SHOULD be releasing game content to higher levels too, and not just catering to the hungry masses. But the point is that they ARENT doing what they SHOULD. But nor are they doing anything particularly wrong, they have stated that they are working on higher level content, but unfortunately this is the year of upgrades, not content, so dont expect much this year.

but again, this isnt so much about slayer. Slayer isnt the largest skill, and in my eyes any addition is welcome. 78 is high, and they arent so much rewarding level 78 slayers, as just adding a new monster, the fact that so many people have that slayer level means that it will be a well recieved and used update- thus happy customers getting something new.

Jagex isn't only a business. They are a gaming company too and as such they should provide a game that is fun for everyone - not just a portion of the customers. High levels are paying customers too and their population increases overtime, except for the ones who quit (which is probably because of lack of high leveled updates anyways :-w :-w ). It doesn't make sense in a video game to have the harder workers get the same treatment as people who don't work as hard. Especially when you take into account all the xp they gained over the people with 78 Slayer.

call it noob like if you wish, but acting unreasonable about a release that A- hasnt happened yet, and B- doesnt hurt you in any way; you still get new content, is very frustrating and annoying, and honestly seems pretty 'noob-like' to me. Be bigger than that, if you're getting bored of runescape, take a break, wait until there's tons of new stuff for you to do, it sounds like you've plateaued(sp) and are getting frustrated by it.

another good point, which I agree with for the most part. its true that level 30-85 generally wouldnt have a slayer level as high as 78. which is why 78 is a considerably high slayer level. the majority of runescapes player base DOES NOT have 78 slayer, thus it is a fairly high level content release. and as for Jagex slacking in their releases and being generally sloppy and slow- yes I agree 100%, they arent doing a very good job.

again this is straying from the discussion of a level 78 slayer monster- Jagex does occasionally make high level content releases, and I enjoy them too. No they dont make enough. Yes they usually take the more money road and release lower level content to feed to the masses, rather than high level content to appease their long time loyal and high level players. I'm not saying that jagex follows this rule for EVERY release, I'm only telling you the reasoning behind THIS release. it is still high level whether you'll accept it or not, but it also appeals to a large quantity of the player base.

Yeah my numbers probably are off, I'm pulling them clear out of estimates, and for guessing 10,000 90+ slayers when the real number is 18,614- I'd say i did half decent. the fact remains that this release is a publicity stunt, and they are targetting as much of their effective profit source as possible. The same thing happened with the pheonix- publicity stunt, they gave the players a fun little poll to choose a familiar, the phoenix is level 72 i believe? nobody complained that IT was too low level a release, though they did complain that the pheonix is pretty useless.

All i have to say here, is that before i had a godsword and after i had a godsword were very different things. Thinking about how fun a godsword would be, and having the goal to get the money for one and working for it- was entertaining. Actually having the godsword? MUCH more entertaining that just hoping for one. yes, lower levels can set a goal to reach the new monster- does that make it satisfying content? hell no. does that give them a meaningful release? No it does not. the fact remains that more people can USE this update than not, and that's what jagex wants.

If they planned a slayer release that didnt involve players choosing things, then they'd probably release higher level content, not to mention more content all around. sofar everytime a release has been from a poll, its been relatively low level. Why? because then the majority of the people who voted (levels 30-85) actually get to use it! or at least are close to using it.

I'm sure that there are plenty of people who are mad about this release because they wont be the only ones able to use it. sorry if you were offended, but I'm trying to address as many angles on this as I can, but I'm starting to see why people are so mad about it, and its not about the drops, so my bad on that comment.

as far as i can tell, people are mad at jagex for the lack of high level releases in general, and this makes sense, but bashing every single small release wont help.

i'm not sure how many people play runescape, but lets say its between 1-10 million, so~190,000 people out of a few million can use this update- that equates to anywhere between 20-2% of the player population, i'd say that it isnt too common. and 1.5 million experience isnt easy to get. nor is it easy to get 10 times over to reach level 99, but the fact remains that 1.5 million experience is hard to get (not to mention the increased exp rates in every skill as you get closer to 99 ;) )

So hopefully that clears up my side of this- I'm not talking about ALL high level content and the lack of releases. I'm talking about this release in particular, and why its fine that it's a level 78 release. YES a level 87/88/91-99 slayer monster is needed, does it have to be this one? No. This monster is a public option, and seeing as jagex is including the players in the creation (or at least naming) of this monster, they're going to want as many people as possible to be able to use it.

the fact still remains that this monster will be the new strongest monster in the slayer dungeon, and will have a new unique drop, and is still relatively high leveled. If you're sore about the lack of high level content, thats fine, and totally justified, but dont drag down this specific update- because its fine how it is.

Good Damn! :o

demonic.png

comment-1.jpg

Green Dragons Guide

And my argument isn't that low levels shouldn't get updates. It is that it would have been more reasonable to give high levels a new monster than to give low levels a new monster.

Slayer just happens to be the first on the list, but I do think high levels need more updates in the other skills too. Slayer is hard and it has no major incentive to train it besides the Skill Cape. I mean, with most of the other skills you can do the skill at a faster rate because you have access to more efficient training methods. Your Slayer level has virtually no effect on your xp rate. The only difference between 99 and 90 is the extra xp and the skill cape.

They aren't doing what they should but yet they are doing nothing wrong? Sorry, you're going to have to explain.

I know the update doesn't effect me because I don't play Runescape anymore, but racism doesn't really effect me either but I'm still going to stick up for what I believe is more fair. My response was really directed at how you made it seem like anyone who disagreed with this update was just a selfish high leveled slayer with illogical arguments. This is not the case. :)

Wow if you can all write that much when we are only naming it, just think how much you will be writing when they release it and its nothing like anybody has assumed, like almost all rs updates people debate pre-release.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Well I see we're starting to reach a consensus on certain points. Here are my final revised opinions for now:

•  
    [*:3i0r4q7s]We need to get high level content, and desperately, but Jagex's lack of time for anything other than revising failed PvP systems means we get less updates in general and ones that cater to lower levels instead of balancing updates. (For the record, I think 1 in about every 5 updates should contain content for level 70-99 stats (100+ combat).)

[*:3i0r4q7s]In the short run, players enjoy killing lower level monsters with rarer drops. However, once the novelty wears off it would have been better to make a monster with a higher requirement that drops better items. Of course, not every player has the resources to get a very high Slayer level. But in the end, training Slayer is more enjoyable than camping and getting profitable drops is more enjoyable than getting occasional rare drops.

[*:3i0r4q7s]78 Slayer is a reasonable level for the average scaper but low level for the core of high-leveled, active players.

[*:3i0r4q7s]The remaining level gaps are 2/3, 12/13, 27/28, 87/88, 92/93, 95 and 97/98/99. Over half of those are high leveled. I would love to see the 87/88, 92/93, and 95 gaps filled in at once with a harder version of the God Wars Dungeon, but I don't think it'd work out very well.

Wow if you can all write that much when we are only naming it, just think how much you will be writing when they release it and its nothing like anybody has assumed, like almost all rs updates people debate pre-release.

Unlike all other releases, we have the vital information NOW. This topic has basically become a discussion of the 78 Slayer/114 Combat specifications of the new monster, which could have been easily discussed after the update. Of course, the drop may change the final opinion of the monster, but for now it's enough to know that they put it at a lower level than many slayers would like.

2496 Completionist

I don't know why people are so worried about the slayer level required tbh. Just because it's not 95 slayer doesn't mean it won't be a worthwhile addition to the slayer skill. Perhaps Jagex made the requirement to appeal to a lot more people. They never said the monster would be easy or the drops would be junk. It could be a difficult monster and drop something quite useful to make it worth fighting. Look at skeletal wyverns, they require only 72 slayer to kill, but they are harder to kill than abyssal demons or dark beasts.

As I am writing this, only 7,517 people have 95 slayer, why should they release a new monster for very, very few people. 78 slayer is not extremely easy to get, and ensures a lot of people will be able to fight the new monster when it comes out. About 70,000 people have 78 slayer, which is a much larger audience that will actually be able to fight the new monster...

All I am saying is don't complain about it until it comes out... and don't expect Jagex to cater to very small groups... I'd like a 95+ slayer monster myself, but it doesn't seem likely to happen.

Sleep on...fly on.

In your mind, you can fly.

Gigatiran.png