RuneScape DIY.

gorgoroth

Imagine a world were there was no trading, no general stores. The only way of getting it is by doing it yourself. Questing for items, killing for items, skilling for items. The only way of getting weapons and armour is by Smithing them yourself. The only way of getting food and potions is by fishing, cooking and brewing them yourself. How would this have affected the modern day RuneScape community? How would this have affected the way we play? Our skill levels?

Discuss.

demonic.png

comment-1.jpg

**Thanks to Boo_Boy666 for my amazing Singnature**

[hide=Slaytanicc's Achievments]|99Cooking achieved 24Dec 2008|99Strength achieved 17Feb 2009|99Hit Points achieved 8April 2009|

|99Defense achieved 29May 2009|99Attack achieved 2August 2009|99Ranged achieved 14August 2009|[/hide]

[hide=Guides by Slaytanicc]Aviansie Maging + Ranging Guide (Must Read!!)

Iron Mining + Banking Guide

Green Dragons Guide

Ankou Slaying Guide[/hide]

Imagine a world were there was no trading, no general stores. The only way of getting it is by doing it yourself. Questing for items, killing for items, skilling for items. The only way of getting weapons and armour is by Smithing them yourself. The only way of getting food and potions is by fishing, cooking and brewing them yourself. How would this have affected the modern day RuneScape community? How would this have affected the way we play? Our skill levels?

Discuss.

BOOORING..

What's the POINT of gathering those stuff then?- I wouldn't play an MMO game if it wasn't centered about the community/sharing stuff.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

You mean DIY not DYI.

:oops: Do Yourself It doesnt seem right now does it?

Bad Typo...

EDIT: Oh Em Gee..... L00k at Mah p0stcount!!!

demonic.png

comment-1.jpg

[hide=Slaytanicc's Achievments]|99Cooking achieved 24Dec 2008|99Strength achieved 17Feb 2009|99Hit Points achieved 8April 2009|

|99Defense achieved 29May 2009|99Attack achieved 2August 2009|99Ranged achieved 14August 2009|[/hide]

Green Dragons Guide

You mean DIY not DYI.

Bad Typo...

1338?

• Like 1

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

You mean DIY not DYI.

Bad Typo...

1338?

It was 1337, but i just posted a reply on another thread...

demonic.png

comment-1.jpg

Green Dragons Guide

You mean DIY not DYI.

Bad Typo...

1338?

It was 1337, but i just posted a reply on another thread...

Fail

OT: Ye, we could do everything ourself, but why would a G.E. and trading exist?

ib7rVm.png

The point of market is the freedom of playing. If you want to train herblore, you are not forced to kill monsters that drop herbs. You can also hunt chinchompas for the herbs or kill monsters that don't drop herbs but drop other valuable items.

Summoning is a skill that forces you to grind on charm dropping monsters.

Discuss.

RSC beta but with rs2 features etc we have today then basically....

AKA: Sir Beachy

It would be single player.

That is what [Caution: Jagex Rule Violation]isfor

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

if this was somthing happened to runescape the community will only be excisting for a few hundred players. All other players will eventually quit playing because it does niet have anything to look forward to like;

Gs

God armours

barrows

these things make people play the game somthing to strife towards

Calm_Koala.png

Hai Guiz, wut if runscap wuznt runsacp, but wuz akshuly a chikin sammich? Wud u eet et?

These "What if we took all this stuff that makes Runescape fun and removed it. What u do then?" threads are old and uninspired.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Oh god... :wall:

I wonder if Runescape would even be classified as a mmorpg then. :roll:

People play online games because of the multiplayer bit. In an MMO you can interact with other players around the world, make friends, have fun together and do whatever the gameplay requires. If you had to produce the items you use on your own, and not be able to buy/sell anything, not even to a simple storekeeper, you'll essentially turn into a packrat. What you make is what you keep. Now, in that utopian RS, you're somehow able to smith 100 adamant platebodys. With no place to sell them, you're forced to either: A) Alch them or B) drop them. Ok. I suspect no one will select B. Let's assume you'd alch the bodies. You'd get a little under a million coins. Now, what would those coins be used for... if there are no stores to buy items from, no trading whatsoever, no grand exchange??? ...Absolutely nothing! It would just be a pile of coins then, with zero value. In fact, nothing would have value anymore, because you wouldn't be able to trade anything. The simple fact that you're stuck with whatever you produce on your own is enough to scare most players off, and the few who remain will eventually follow them.

Runescape - the massive online single player adventure game, by Jagex Ltd.

dontfearthereaper2.png

DIY is dead.

Killed by Jagex's desire to turn a uniqure single player game set in a multiplayer world into a run of the mill multiplayer game like every other game on the internet except with very subpar graphics...

Raw materials are near worthless now compared to team oriented drops.

DIY is now just for those diehards that want some kind of bragging rights by saying "hey I got my own ores and it took me 2 years to get 99 smithing when you got it in a month at godwards.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

DIY is dead.

Killed by Jagex's desire to turn a uniqure single player game set in a multiplayer world into a run of the mill multiplayer game like every other game on the internet except with very subpar graphics...

DIY is now just for those diehards that want some kind of bragging rights by saying "hey I got my own ores and it took me 2 years to get 99 smithing when you got it in a month at godwards.

Since when was RuneScape ever meant to be a single player game?

Anyway, to answer the question, the amount of time required to level in this game without the aid of another player would go up probably six or seven orders of magnitude. Group questing, such as Mort'ton would be impossible. Probably no one would be maxed, or approaching the 1,800 mark. In short, playing RuneScape would be significantly less "play" and a helluva lot more "work".

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

DIY is dead.

Since when was RuneScape ever meant to be a single player game?

Anyway, to answer the question, the amount of time required to level in this game without the aid of another player would go up probably six or seven orders of magnitude. Group questing, such as Mort'ton would be impossible. Probably no one would be maxed, or approaching the 1,800 mark. In short, playing RuneScape would be significantly less "play" and a helluva lot more "work".

I like the analogy, although it seems as if runescape already requires quite a bit more work. As everyone has touched on, the game would most likely cease to exist, especially removing NPC trade. There are a lot of things that make a game like runescape compete with games like WoW such as (in order of importance IMO):

1.Massive amount of free content. Even though Jagex over-exagerates this a tad bit, the truth is you could play this game for hours without ever paying a cent(although I think it would get boring).

2. Player to player interaction. WoW excels in this as well, but games like Fable 1, Oblivion, Baldurs Gate are very fun games, but lack this content.

3. Afordability. The game doesn't have amazing graphics and started out on very poor graphics. This allowed the game to be cheap and stay cheap...

There are more, but you get the picture. Take out one of those, and you pretty much have a failed game.(Although I bet that they could remove number 1 at this point due to the amount of time invested into the game by it's member base, but it would surely lead to an earlier downfall)

w4M8t.png

The fact that we have player interaction seems to be what keeps runescape going. I imagine it'd be very boring and it would takes 100 times as long to get anywhere.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012