BE ADVISED

Dragonlordjl

Until any of you write a program with graphic collisions and complicated calculations, you have basically no right to critisize the devs. I wrote a simple dirextX based vb.net game and I still find wierd glitches every now and then.

Yes it took a longer amount of time to create/release this minigame, but you have to place yourself in their shoes. 10 people can't possiblly find every hick-up.

Yes it is a bad thing that this happened but it something you have to deal with when it comes to new content as big as this.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now here's where it gets interesting. The idea behind Quality Assurance is that you can test every single permutation of a particular piece of content, and 60 people can't cover the possibilities of 10,000 people, let alone 1 million or more. Also consider that this content has been out for almost a day - in the neighborhood of 17 hours - and since we can safely assume that more than 135,000 players have been trying this content out, within just 17 hours, this minigame has had over 2.29 million hours of test time, which equates to roughly 261 years!

I don't see how you got 261 years. You assumed that every player that logged on tried it out and that each one played it all day long. Each person at Jagex is looking for glitches while testing and the players are simply enjoying the game. With that in mind, the chance of players finding glitches becomes less.

To put it in more realistic terms, let's say that 30,000 players tried it for 2 hours each today. It comes out to under 7 years. Still more than Jagex can do, but not some gigantic number either.

This is most likely true. Not every player wants to spend 17 hours at one spot all day, when they could be outside, catching butterfli-I MEAN going to the mall, etc. The numbers are probably way off - it's more realistic that 40 or 50,000 players had tested the content for one or two hours a piece, which puts it between 4 and 11.5 years. But you see the point - it's substantially way more testing than Jagex could do in a two month period.

This is why the game is frequently patched - it fixes issues that they couldn't catch. This is understandable and quite typical of any major project that comes up.

Alex_Ewan 1.png

Goals achieved: lvl 99 Cooking, Fishing and Fletching.

Surrey CC and Liverpool FC fan for life!

This helps the economy.

Someone posting a comment like this was inevitable.

Lets take all your cash, lie to you, and justify it with our inflation problem. Tell me that's fair.

Let's avoid comments like this, try to post some constructive criticism on the topic rather than typing before you think.

Thanks, Promise

and tbh even if 20bil was taken out of the economy that is only 1 days worth of alching, pvp drops etc...

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

Until any of you write a program with graphic collisions and complicated calculations, you have basically no right to critisize the devs. I wrote a simple dirextX based vb.net game and I still find wierd glitches every now and then.

Yes it took a longer amount of time to create/release this minigame, but you have to place yourself in their shoes. 10 people can't possiblly find every hick-up.

Yes it is a bad thing that this happened but it something you have to deal with when it comes to new content as big as this.

There are many other times in the game (Runescape, not MA) that your inventory is emptied or blanked for cutscenes. From what I've read its seems like this is a matter of code not being ran to restore the inventory after the tutorial has ended due to the tutorial being prematurely aborted. A simple, logical way of doing cutscenes would be calling a single method with a parameter of the cutscene data that performs all the pre/post- cutscene operations and then returns the results of any choices made during the cutscene.

public int[] doCutscene(Cutscene current)

{

initScene();

displayScene(current);

deinitScene();

return current.getResults();

}

This would ensure that things such as clearing the inventory always happened before and after a cutscene. While I'm sure its much more complicated in the game, reusable code like this would prevent something like this from ever happening.

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

This helps the economy.

Lets take all your cash, lie to you, and justify it with our inflation problem. Tell me that's fair.

Let's avoid comments like this, try to post some constructive criticism on the topic rather than typing before you think.

Thanks, Promise

and tbh even if 20bil was taken out of the economy that is only 1 days worth of alching, pvp drops etc...

You mean you can make 20 bil a day from alching? What do you alch?

This helps the economy.

Thanks, Promise

You mean you can make 20 bil a day from alching? What do you alch?

He means from the entire RS population #-o

77yLQy8.png

Bugs like this make people quit, tell there friends to never even think about playing RS, and makes honest players wonder just how secure our piles of cash really are.

Your cash piles are secure if you keep them in the bank where they should be.. if players learn anything from updates, it's that there is most likely going to be a bug with it, and that bug could kill you, so only take what's necessary.

Players should not be afraid to take their cash out of the bank due to Jagex glitches. I find it ridiculous that the players have to pay for the mistakes that they make.

I completely agree. The sad part is, the account isn't yours. So if jagex decides they don't want/need to do anything about the problem, its pretty much written in stone.

Is it just me, or are the replies we getting from jmods seem to be more...cocky/rude? What kind of jerks are they hiring? No wonder customer service is horrible...

If I were the J Mod I'll just ban that exile guy for misuse of forum, I've seen way too many threads on the RSOF where J Mods lock the thread and merely give a warning.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

I wasn't calling him a jerk because he locked the thread or whatever. I called him a jerk because of his arrogant attitude. Guys treat jmods like gods, and it probably get to their heads...He should be apologizing that it happened, not because he was a jerk who's always right.

Its no coincidence that jmods seemed be misinformed quite often. There was even a time when a jmod was telling us the use of Swiftkit is illegal because it was a macro or something.

I wasn't calling him a jerk because he locked the thread or whatever. I called him a jerk because of his arrogant attitude. Guys treat jmods like gods, and it probably get to their heads...He should be apologizing that it happened, not because he was a jerk who's always right.

Its no coincidence that jmods seemed be misinformed quite often. There was even a time when a jmod was telling us the use of Swiftkit is illegal because it was a macro or something.

And jmods saying mousekeys are illegal, and jmods saying that programmable keys are illegal, tbh jmods are noobs.

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

Granted, RuneScape is a game that's constantly changing, and with that comes a lot of new issues every now and then, from luring in the past, scamming, to the current age where both of those problems have diminished a lot, and yet we have manipulation of market. You can't expect J Mods to be ALWAYS error-free right? You are treating them like gods if you're asking for that.

My point is, the RuneScape forum rules and regulations did not include bannable offences such as threats aimed at harrassing players, falsifying information to mislead players into selling/buying their items, or like the example, to simply attempt to gain some profit in the midst of trouble. All you see are thread locks, removals, and nice wording to discourage the player from creating more of such threads. And then the cycle goes on and on. The mod's post wasn't to show that his being cocky, but rather, "you're playing with fire with that falsified information, and I know it, that is why I'm giving you a serious warning, because we at Jagex do not ban players for misuse of forums"

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Ah, I see. I seem to have slightly misinterpreted your post. I thought you were only referring to the thread in the pic.

Now I can agree with you. Luring was considered "no in the spirit of the game" but eventually became reportable. I think price manipulation will follow, hopefully we don't loose anything in the process like a free market...Jagex has already stated they will force price changes themselves if they know manipulation is taking place, but this is under the most extreme cases.

I don't expect any jmod to know every aspect of the game...but it doesn't hurt to take 5 minutes of research to even know what your talking about. With so many people treating you like a god, they'll think anything you say is written in stone. I would hate to see a great tool like Swiftkit lost because of a misinformed employee.

They should have a testing server for randomly selected people (Be that people with needed requirements/different variables.) to test updates. Even if its just for the bigger ones and boycott quests to avoid spoilers. Obviously they dont get to keep anything but many people would be more than happy to play content before release. Learn how its done. Even if it changes on actual release. I dont agree with players being the testers but if its the case then they should do it on a testing server that wont cause any damage to players.

As for this player I really dont care about as it really was their own pigheaded fault without pitty. I mean to get that kinda total you learn things over the years. One of them being.. dont take stuff your not willing to lose to new content. If your not willing then wait until its been proven safe.

Even -after- its proven safe its kinda dum to carry that kinda cash around unless your willing to lose it to game bugs. In ANY game that is dum to the level of a newbie who hasnt learnt their lesson yet.

However ofcourse if it did happen then its fine they rant and wotnot but at the end of the day I hope they realise that its their own carelessness that it happened even if it is jagex fault - and there isnt anything reasonable that can be done about it without effecting the whole player base. Jagex cant roll back as it effects too many other players for so few in this case. They cant return items as its too open for abuse. From top of my head both players making false claims could abuse that and even jagex staff cheating/selling stuff.

Jagex has a no item return policy and everyone should know that, if you are stupid enough to carry around your bank when testing a new update then you deserve to lose it, Runescape updates are always full of bugs like this.

Lowgravity, I want to be just like you. But...I never will be as 1337 as you. :(

I feel sorry for the player but I can't understand why he would be carrying 350m to a new update.

Although that Mod's response was rather arrogant and rude. I saw the MA updates using my teacher's laptop in school earlier and was about to log on to try it out. Thank god his laptop didn't have Java or something like this might've happened.

Still, Jagex is partly to blame for this.

00:00:05

00:00:04

00:00:03

00:00:02

00:00:01

00:00:00

Break the Walls down!

Jagex has a no item return policy and everyone should know that, if you are stupid enough to carry around your bank when testing a new update then you deserve to lose it, Runescape updates are always full of bugs like this.

What's next?

New content with bugs that wipes all your stats?

"If you are stupid enough to try new content, you deserve is to lose your exp"

+ Saxon is right :P

Honestly, it's things like this bug that ruins reputations, scares off new and experienced players, and makes Runescape seem like a second class game.

Them also spending months to do this and still having it be this bugged is just :wall:

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

Unlucky guy.

TBH jagex needs to test updates with atleast 500 active/current players.

A lot of bugs would be ironed out instantly, I for one got stuck in the tutorial about 4 times and had to log out each time.

They always stated "well 90k players find bugs faster then we ever could", so why not beta?

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

New f-keys make me want to buy a 100 dollar keyboard so i can program it back to original settings.

you don't need to buy a new keyboard, as people have said.

w4M8t.png

Ouch. Poor guy, really. He won't be seeing those 350M again...

Well, I have always been careful about this kind of stuff. I always keep the most of my money in bank :D

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

I know a few people have said this but this guy who this thread started out about should have known better he has lots of xp which means lots of playing time, which should lead to some general knowledge about runescape... 1 new updates nearly always have some bugs in them. 2 (i haven't heard about them doing it) Jagex never gives items/money back even if its lost due to a bug. 3 they don't do roll backs unless it was a collosal server failure in which all account were wiped out or something similar (when they do it it happens rihgt away minutes after). So i do not in any way feel sorry for him at all its just plain stupid to go to a new update with 350mil in cash on you. Honestly what was he thinking maybe a bug would let him double his money...I mean come on its Darwin's theory at work. (the weak and slow to adapt will take themselves out of the gene pool)

What's next?

New content with bugs that wipes all your stats?

"If you are stupid enough to try new content, you deserve is to lose your exp"

Do you realize that what you said is probably the most outrageous claim in this thread?

It's like telling someone not to withdraw all their cash from the bank and walk around the streets in a high crime area. And you respond with "oh what.. you could get killed there. If you are stupid enough to walk around in a high crime area, you deserve to lose your life."

demonslayer2.png

Retired Tip.It Mod || Admin and Founder of Caesar 3 Mod Squad! All are welcome!