Abortion what do you think of it?

Howlin0001

Despite being a right-wing Republican I do believe an abortion should be allowed in certain situations. Especially those of rape, where clearly nobody is going to benefit from that. Everything else like "the mother should have a choice to abort, it's her baby" and "what if it was an accident?" and even "what if I'm just not ready?" all comes down to finding that magical point in time where it is no longer a fetus, but a real baby. That of course is a matter of opinion at the moment (due to the "is it alive??" debates), so it'll probably never be an exact determined point in time.

But if it was an exact point, I believe that once it becomes a baby you should not be allowed to abort, and by that time (around 5 to 6 months) you should damn well know if you're pregnant or not. If you don't know you're pregnant until 6 months after the fact... something's wrong with you... :shame:

And of course it's a mutual decision of the parents, meaning the father has input, but if it's different from what the wife says it gets ignored... after all... the baby isn't coming out of HIS vagina now is it? :roll:

Pasty.png

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I view abortion not by what it is, but why you are doing it.

An abortion that was made because of a victim of rape is fine by me. I don't think anyone wants to be a single mother of a rapist's child.

An abortion that was made because someone had a little too much fun is wrong imo. You don't learn anything that way.

There are three sides to any argument: your side, my side and the right side.

RS BILLYMAYS.png

An abortion that was made because of a victim of rape is fine by me. I don't think anyone wants to be a single mother of a rapist's child.

An abortion that was made because someone had a little too much fun is wrong imo. You don't learn anything that way.

What I find sad is that you don't think people should have abortions because you feel for the "wasted life" (baby) but because you want them to be punished. Having to go through an abortion is "punishment" enough. :roll:

Seriously, it's not like an abortion is a happy thing, and it's not like you'll walk out with a smile on your face either.

This would be the best logic if the punishment wasn't a living person. If a [bleep]ed-ball came out of you, it'll be fitting. But we can't also punish an innocent child into poor living conditions and such.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I'm pretty much against it, not for a religious or life reason, but for something else. Why have sex in the first place, if you can't take responsibility for a kid if it happens? If you didn't want a kid, then don't dance... Kinda the reason for sex anyway.... :shame:

If you got raped... then you have a reason for one then. Otherwise... :shame:

I'm pretty much against it, not for a religious or life reason, but for something else. Why have sex in the first place, if you can't take responsibility for a kid if it happens? If you didn't want a kid, then don't dance... Kinda the reason for sex anyway.... :shame:

If you got raped... then you have a reason for one then. Otherwise... :shame:

Because sex is one of the most awesome things on the planet.

• 3 months later...

It's usually the same old arguments on this topic, but I thought of a new idea the other day.

You guys are so insistent that this human life is sacred, but raising this child is effectively killing tens of thousands.

Say it takes $250,000 to $300,000 to raise a child. You could instead use this money to not only donate 30,000 bed nets to families that live in high risk malaria areas, but to help provide education for their kids.

30,000 families that can potentially be saved, and you want somebody to condemn them to death for a kid they don't even want.

You could also use this money to sponsor a child. You could raise over 30 kids with the same money that you would need to raise 1.

What makes this being that isn't even human yet more important than all these other families and children? They have memories and times together, they take care of each other, play in the yard with each other. This unborn fetus has nothing, it has no memories, nobody has memories of it and it's not even human yet.

What makes the fetus's life more important?

Sure the person having the abortion probably won't donate the extra money, but they also aren't on their high horse spewing [cabbage] about trying to stop deaths.

How much money have you spend on indulgences this week? Lunch? Alcohol? A new tshirt? Say it was $20. You just killed condemned 2 families - you only want to limit the deaths as long as it's convenient. The 3rd world is so far away, so you can pretend it doesn't exist and that you're still a better person because you think unwanted children should be born to unprepared parents.

I'm guessing that if you decide to have a kid, you'll also have your own instead of adopting one from people who didn't have an abortion. Most will anyway. Let the kid live in an orphanage without parents, as long as it's alive you can still feel good about yourself.

The 'it's a life' hypocrisy is sickening.

I read somewhere that abortion is linked to keeping crime rates low because it means less of the people who would grow up to be criminals are being born. However, I'm not certain about that. Anyway I'm in full support of abortion since I don't see a pre-birth organism as being sentient. To me it's the equivalent of killing a plant, only with much more stress.

redarrows-1.png

I don't think it should be used as a form of contraception, but if someone doesn't feel they can cope with a child, I think that it may be better to have an abortion, than maybe abandon the child etc.

But overall I don't think it's very right.

I think it's quite a sad thing, abortion. It's not nice for anybody involved. But I'll tell you that it's more of a sad thing to let that child live and be born to a mother that didn't want it. Is it really fair to force a woman to keep a child she can't pay for, doesn't want and really just doesn't have the determination needed to raise well?

I think it's the lesser of two evils. 'Killing' a foetus is bad, but you're effectively just bringing more poverty, sadness and decay into the world by letting the foetus grow up.

Of course this argument only applies to working class families, when it comes to the middle class it's even more of a difficult discussion. If they can support the child, but want to abort it anyway, I think it becomes more of an issue.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

My views on Abortion is:

1: Why did they have the child if they were not willing to raise it then its their fault they shouldn't punish the child.

2: Instead of aborting the child it should be giving to a foster home and the people,etc. who had it taxed to give it a good home.

3: If they have to abortingthe child than they should be taxed highly for it rather than waste other people's money on it.

I find it ironic that the only people supporting abortion are people who weren't aborted...

I find it even more ironic people who are anti-death are alive. :roll:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I think it's quite a sad thing, abortion. It's not nice for anybody involved. But I'll tell you that it's more of a sad thing to let that child live and be born to a mother that didn't want it. Is it really fair to force a woman to keep a child she can't pay for, doesn't want and really just doesn't have the determination needed to raise well?

I agree with this point. I am pro-choice for this reason.

I find it ironic that the only people supporting abortion are people who weren't aborted...

#-o

j0xPu5R.png

I'm against it.

I'm an adopted child. I have a mom and a dad who are well off financially, and actually care for me and about me, unlike the two people who acted irresponsibly and had to put me up for adoption. My adoptive parents told me that my birth mother was 17, and my birth father was 19, when they had me. I'm so [bleep]ing thankful that they didn't think they could take care of me -- because there's no way in hell they'd have been able to give as much love and care to me as my adoptive parents have. I'm also happy that my birth mother didn't choose the first of the three routes and abort me (the other two routes being giving me up for adoption and keeping me.)

Anyways, that all goes to say that if you aren't responsible (or even if you are, and something doesn't work or you're a rape victim or something), abortion isn't the only option. There are always people who can't have children but are willing to adopt, and you can find them pretty easily, without taking away someone's chance at life.

x52i3b.jpg

I sure-as-hell know that we shouldn't be having to pay our tax money for other people's abortions.

The sour dough of the epitmous pie hungers for another's sweet lips to be dulled into a state of most irreverant humbleness

TUBULAR BELLS!

I'm against it.

I'm an adopted child. I have a mom and a dad who are well off financially, and actually care for me and about me, unlike the two people who acted irresponsibly and had to put me up for adoption. My adoptive parents told me that my birth mother was 17, and my birth father was 19, when they had me. I'm so [bleep]ing thankful that they didn't think they could take care of me -- because there's no way in hell they'd have been able to give as much love and care to me as my adoptive parents have. I'm also happy that my birth mother didn't choose the first of the three routes and abort me (the other two routes being giving me up for adoption and keeping me.)

Anyways, that all goes to say that if you aren't responsible (or even if you are, and something doesn't work or you're a rape victim or something), abortion isn't the only option. There are always people who can't have children but are willing to adopt, and you can find them pretty easily, without taking away someone's chance at life.

That's a depressing way to look at it. Don't you think that if your fetus had been aborted your mind would've just gone to another fetus or something like that not so depressing?

My "mind" (first off, what's a mind? Where is it? :-P) is affected by how I was raised, what's going on in my life, and other things. I wouldn't be me if my "mind" was magically transferred to another baby in some other woman's womb. Anyways, that's kind of silly. If my mind can magically travel to another baby's, what happens to that baby's mind? Everyone is an individual, and your individuality starts at conception. Well, in my opinion.

:rolleyes:

x52i3b.jpg

My problem with opting to put up for adoption is that while there are couples who can't have children but do, is that there are far more children than infertile couples. There are already thousands of children in foster care waiting for a loving family to adopt and adding another won't help anyone. But hey, if you wanna adopt go ahead, if you want to keep or abort the baby, it's you choice.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Alright, my personal feelings on this: First off, my womb is not a ballot box, and I'll thank everyone to keep their laws out of it.

More seriously, I think that legally, abortion should always be an option. I think that restricting access to abortion does more harm than good, and it just leads to more women dying. While there may be a somewhat smaller number of aborted fetuses, I think that it's too high a price to pay for the number of fully grown (or nearly so) women who will be killed instead. I like to call this the anti-coat hanger stance.

Morally, it's murkier. Morality always is. There are some cases where I know that I would flat out get an abortion, and you (generic you, not specific to anyone on this thread) can jump off a cliff if you object: rape and a serious danger to my health. A special mention goes to those people who insist that even women with ectopic pregnancies shouldn't get an abortion. They can go jump off a cliff into lava. Except that would be too quick.(An ectopic pregnancy is one where the egg implants anywhere outside the uterus, most commonly in the uterine tubes. If not aborted, it's basically a death sentence to the mother and the fetus, since the maternal death generally happens long before the fetus is viable.)

If the fetus is far enough along that it would reasonably be considered viable, I don't think it should be aborted - from what I understand, abortions rarely happen that late in pregnancy anyway, except in rare cases where delivery by any means is not an option for some reason.

Saying that fetuses shouldn't be aborted because there are always people waiting to adopt is a flawed argument. Obviously, it worked out for you, SkillingWoo, and I'm glad. It worked for my cousin as well. But the fact is, there are already many children around the world in orphanages and foster care. While some will be lucky enough to be adopted at birth or shortly after, it simply isn't guaranteed.

Also, even if the baby is put up for adoption, the woman still has to go through pregnancy. Do you know what happens to the body during pregnancy, even when there are no complications? Every organ in the abdominal cavity is pushed around and squeezed together. The compression on the bladder causes one of the better known complaints of pregnant women: the need to pee much more frequently. Compression on other organs and vessels can cause other symptoms: heartburn and constipation (GI tract), varicose veins and swelling in the legs (vena cava), and renal hypertension (kidneys and the renal arteries).

Also during pregnancy, blood pressure frequently rises, due to increased blood volume and and heart rate in order to supply the fetus. Breath rate and volume also increases to supply the fetus. Backaches are common, due to changes in weight and where it's carried. Breasts swell, frequently becoming tender and painful towards the end of pregnancy. Fatigue, as the fetus demands more nutrients. Morning sickness, another well-known symptom.

And none of that even begins to talk about childbirth itself! If you've ever had sex, and you've seen a new born baby, picture fitting a baby through there. Go ahead, I'll wait. Oh, and this can last for hours. Have fun.

Also, a woman's activities are restricted during pregnancy. No smoking, sure, you can say that smoking isn't good for you anyway, with or without a baby. No drinking, well, that's a little worse, but still, it's only 9 months. But then consider that many prescription medications can't be taken during pregnancy. Suddenly, any well-managed conditions you have become a lot less well managed. Not only is your body going wacko, you're off your meds. That high blood pressure you inherited? I hope you like your bed, because you're probably going to be stuck in it most of the time by the third trimester, doctor's orders.

And then there are the million and one possible complications! Modern medical techniques allow many of them to be detected earlier on - again, I hope you like bed rest. Others, like preeclampsia sneak up on you, and if it's not properly treated (by which I mean delivering the baby ASAP or aborting it), both mother and fetus can die. It typically presents anywhere from week 32 and six weeks after birth (in the mother), though it can present as early as week 20. Obviously, the early it presents, the less chance of a successful delivery. Even if the baby is delivered, they face the same risks as any pre-term infant.

...I think I got a bit off topic. Anyway, I don't think anyone should be forced to go through pregnancy and childbirth. We don't have the current technology to transfer an already-implanted blastocyst into another womb, which leaves abortion as the only option.

On the subject of the father having a say in the decision: if it was a one-night stand or a brief fling, then no. If it's a long-term, committed relationship, then I think a woman should talk it over with her boyfriend/husband and consider his opinion and make the decision with him, but at the end of the day, it's still her decision and unless the man can grow a womb and take in the embryo, then he has to let her. I'm not saying he shouldn't have his own opinion, or be upset if she gets an abortion when he doesn't want her to, but he shouldn't actually prevent her.

tl;dr version: I'm pro-choice.

ab38dfd9d8.png

bluehooloovo.png

bluehooloovo.png

[hide=]

The light at the end of the tunnel is the demon-infested lava pit.

blue = sad

hoo = who

loo = 100

vo = broken ice cream cone = sad children = sad babies = dead babies

bluehooloovo = sadwho100deadbabies = Who is sad about 100 dead babies?

I've cracked the code!

[/hide]Blog

I'm against it.

That's a depressing way to look at it. Don't you think that if your fetus had been aborted your mind would've just gone to another fetus or something like that not so depressing?

My "mind" (first off, what's a mind? Where is it? :-P) is affected by how I was raised, what's going on in my life, and other things. I wouldn't be me if my "mind" was magically transferred to another baby in some other woman's womb. Anyways, that's kind of silly. If my mind can magically travel to another baby's, what happens to that baby's mind? Everyone is an individual, and your individuality starts at conception. Well, in my opinion.

:rolleyes:

I mean like, don't you think that somewhere "up there" There is some sort of mind (that is, personality, whatever) distribution?

I don't understand your question. :(

---

And while I don't exactly agree with everything bluehooloovo said, she just won this topic. <_<

x52i3b.jpg

And while I don't exactly agree with everything bluehooloovo said, she just won this topic. <_<

What don't you agree with? I'd love to argue back and forth. :)

ab38dfd9d8.png

bluehooloovo.png

bluehooloovo.png

[hide=]

The light at the end of the tunnel is the demon-infested lava pit.

blue = sad

hoo = who

loo = 100

vo = broken ice cream cone = sad children = sad babies = dead babies

bluehooloovo = sadwho100deadbabies = Who is sad about 100 dead babies?

I've cracked the code!

[/hide]Blog

I see it quite simply.

Abortion is ending something. That something is a babies life. To end an innocent human being's life is murder. Therefore abortion is murder.

Murder is wrong. So, abortion is wrong.

You take away every murderer's and rapist's choice to do what they do and you throw them in jail. I'm all for taking away a mother's choice of killing her own baby, just like I am all for taking away a murderer's choice to kill his fellow man.

unorclanpixelsigzu1.png

Thanks to the amazing talent of Jopie211 for the sig!

Finest Fist of Guthix Strategy Guide