What movie(s) did you last see?

How2PK

Cinema: The Golden Compass and Sweeney Todd (both excellent movies!!); I Am Legend (it was alright - kind of slow at the beginning, but interesting nonetheless)

Home: Beauty and the Beast <3:

I watched the Sweeny Todd trailer the other day... is it really a musical? I hate musicals lol.

Yeah a musical with songs and everything lol :D .

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

Cinema: The Golden Compass and Sweeney Todd (both excellent movies!!); I Am Legend (it was alright - kind of slow at the beginning, but interesting nonetheless)

I watched the Sweeny Todd trailer the other day... is it really a musical? I hate musicals lol.

Yeah a musical with songs and everything lol :D .

Oh well, I'll be skipping that one then :( It looked ok apart from the singing lol.

Only musical I ever enjoyed was Blues Brothers :thumbsup:

Harrington.gif

Ride with the Devil - What you would expect from a Civil War movie. Nothing new here.

Dial M for Murder - It's Hitchcock, of course it is going to be awesome. First time I've seen this one also. Plus it has Grace Kelly in it, one of the most beautiful women ever.

The Apartment - Was planning on watching this on New Years. I know only about 5 minutes of the movie is about New Years, still it's the only one I could think of. Doesn't matter anyhow, since I forgot to watch it then. I decided to watch it today just because it is a great movie.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Silence of the Lambs - A good movie that's been given way to many accolades. It was amazingly well acted (Anthony Hopkins...just, wow). I even thought Jody Foster did an amazing job even though I don't especially like her as an actress. Both deserved their Oscars. However, I don't know why the film as a whole has had so much acclaim with the Oscar committee/American Film Institute/critics/IMDB rating. It's a good movie, yes. But it's teeming with plot holes. The first half is excellent, but then it essentially turns into a prolonged episode of 'Criminal Minds'. One of my favorite TV shows, yes, but its episodes aren't fit to win prestigious awards and have widespread acclaim as things considered among the best of all time. I just don't get it.

Independance Day - I really dig this movie. So much fun to watch.

Deliverance - Mixed feelings here. On one side, I enjoyed the feel of the third act and the ideas surrounding it. On the other hand, this movie seems to suggest that hillbillys are all terrible creatures, and that reconnecting with nature with your friends will mean something terrible will happen. Overall, not very impressive.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Decoy (1946) A short (76 minutes) noir before going to sleep. It's bit of a weird film, a pretty ambitious B-film for poverty row studio Monogram. Margot Shelby (Jean Gillie) is the girlfriend of criminal Frankie Olins. He's in jail, and he doesn't have much time before he's thrown into the gas chamber. Thing is that he has got 4 ton hiddne somewhere, but he doesn't want to tell anybody where it is hid. To get this information Margot contacts a doctor that takes care of the bodies after execution and asks him to 'revive' the recentely executed Olins, using a special medicine called methylene blue (which actually existed), so that she can find out where the money is hid.

This movie is all about Jean Gillie. With this movie she gets her American debut, and boy does she shine. It's such a shame that she died three years after this production. She plays one of the most wicked characters that I have ever seen. And in her playing she doesn't settle for any compromises. She wants money, and she will do everything to get it. Of course this isn't a rare thing in film-noir. But in most movies the leading ladies get some] sympathy for some reason. Well, this lady doesn't. It's quiete exceptional. One of the best scenes from the movie is where she has her 'boyfriend' (Jim Vincent, a man that means nothing to her, she just uses him for money and to get to her goal) change a flat tire (which she sabotaged herself), when he has done that and is finishing up his work, she kills him in cold blood by hitting him with the car so that he is dead and she will have all the money for herself. There are a lot of other very violent scenes, but this one was great. It brilliantly gave us a real look at her character. What a femme-fatale. :thumbsup:

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

I usually hate musicals too. What it really comes down to is whether or not you like the songs, storyline and actors. If you're watching a musical with only a so-so storyline and you're not a huge fan of musicals to begin with, you're going to hate it. But as for me, I loved the plotline in Sweeney Todd and am a big fan of most of the actors in the movie. In addition, I thought the songs were fantastic. So in the end, I ended up loving the movie even though I usually hate musicals :lol:

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

National Treasure: Book of Secrets

Is that the 2nd one? I only seen the first one, I might go see that.

I watched John Tucker Must Die, it was pretty good.

28u7f5g.jpg

danke Schon Sam!^^

"Blood runs thicker, oh were thick as thieves you know"

-Carl Barât

The Ten - I first heard of this movie a while ago, probably while looking at Jessica Alba's IMDb page. Just got around to seeing it though. It is ten stories each about one of the Ten Commandments. For some reason I thought it was going to be a serious movie, even after seeing who was acting in it. Anyways it was definitely a comedy. A few funny parts but the movie is pretty bad. It's really weird, which is why I liked it so much.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

The Machinist: A good, satisfying movie. But in a depressing sort of way.

I loved that movie. I just think that Christian Bale is such an incredible actor. He really gets into his method acting and we unbelievably skinny in that movie. I really looked ill and it made his performance all the more enjoyable.

Harrington.gif

Blood Diamond

I came out of this film feeling slightly world weary, slightly disillusioned with western pretences and even slightly nihilistic about the situation in Africa. A very powerful film, good action but the real power lies in the reality of the whole thing.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

The Scanner Darkly - Awesome movie, though I did like the novel better. Hard to follow at some points, but the humour was great and the drawing style was really cool.

4/5

Yeah I like the rotoscoping effect. Renaissance came out last year or the year before and it uses the same effect, just everything is in black and white. Haven't got to see it yet.

Juno - I like Ellen Page, Michael Cera, and Jason Bateman a lot. I've also heard that this was one of the best movies of the year. So I had really really high hopes for this movie, which may have been why after seeing it I was a little disappointed. Of course it was great, it just wasn't really great.

No Country for Old Men - I have no idea why but I didn't know this was a Coen brother's film. Found out when I saw the credits. It makes sense now though, a lot of people really like Coens' films and I generally think they are good but nothing great. I don't know why this is #21 on IMDb, it just doesn't seem like it would be among those other movies. Yesterday when I checked it was #19 though, so I guess it might go down a bit.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

You know how IMDB is, newer films always tend to get over-inflated scores.

It probably has to do with the average age of an IMDB user and internet users in general. Thats not to say that younger people (lets say under 18s for the sake of the argument) have poor taste, it's just that they tend to not have seen as wide a variety of film to make decent comparisons.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

Blood Diamond

I came out of this film feeling slightly world weary, slightly disillusioned with western pretences and even slightly nihilistic about the situation in Africa. A very powerful film, good action but the real power lies in the reality of the whole thing.

I watched that in 10th grade Civics class in school, then I had to do a report on it, so I missed out on having an experience to do with the film. Spent the whole time writing notes.

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

You know how IMDB is, newer films always tend to get over-inflated scores.

It probably has to do with the average age of an IMDB user and internet users in general. Thats not to say that younger people (lets say under 18s for the sake of the argument) have poor taste, it's just that they tend to not have seen as wide a variety of film to make decent comparisons.

I love the fact that the votes are broken down demographically... so you can figure out what the average score was given by your own sex and age group. That's a big help.

Harrington.gif

Death Sentence

One word: Wow.

(For those who have seen it:)

I have never had such a feeling of 'no, no dont kill the boy' when the gangmember, Joey, was aiming at the boy's head, while the boss whispers in his ear: 'Do it, this is your chance, you have to get him, he's the one'.

Great movie, the 7/10 from IMDB is too low for this movie.

carsignatureis3.jpg

[http://woopidoo2.deviantart.com]

[Tip.it Moderator from Dec 10, 2006 to 03 Sep, 2008]