What movie(s) did you last see?

How2PK

What?

I saw Cloverfield when it came out in theaters and loved it. Got it for Christmas and re-watched it. Memories of awesomeness ensued.

Actually I can see how what I said could be confusing. My bad :lol:

Sounded like you just watched it in theaters, I was a little confused and jealous.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

the Day the Earth Stood Still I thought it was pretty good. To cast Kaenu Reeves was a brilliant move. His limited abilities as an actor fit the role of an alien perfectly. You can compare to the way they used Gary Cooper's limitations in the Fountainhead So that was a good start. The movie didn't have the charm that the Robert Wise movie has, but it has a lot of modern clumsyness in it, which makes it very funny. The only thing I disliked was Jaden Smith. Good God, when Connely bend over to speak to him I hoped she would give him a good slap in the face, but that's impossible these days, so she said something sentimental about his dead father. A shame they had to put that kid in it.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

the Day the Earth Stood Still I thought it was pretty good. To cast Kaenu Reeves was a brilliant move. His limited abilities as an actor fit the role of an alien perfectly. You can compare to the way they used Gary Cooper's limitations in the Fountainhead So that was a good start. The movie didn't have the charm that the Robert Wise movie has, but it has a lot of modern clumsyness in it, which makes it very funny. The only thing I disliked was Jaden Smith. Good God, when Connely bend over to speak to him I hoped she would give him a good slap in the face, but that's impossible these days, so she said something sentimental about his dead father. A shame they had to put that kid in it.

I think that's the first review I've heard that said it's good :) . Makes me want to see it now, for a while I was just thinking about waiting for the DVD.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

I think that's the first review I've heard that said it's good :) . Makes me want to see it now, for a while I was just thinking about waiting for the DVD.

I understand that a lot of people aren't very positive about this movie. I wonder why. It stays pretty close to the original movie. It's got an easy pace, instead of being based on action this movie focuses more on the human side of it all, also they didn't directly try to recreate the charm of fifties science-fiction (since that is impossible) but made an own kind of charm...and most important: no seventy shots per minute. Obviously this movie has got it's flaws, but in general it's not that bad as everybody says it is. I gave it a 6.7

21o4pav.jpg

War of the worlds

WAS SO BAD. Heaps of flaws. -.-

At least I can freak out my sister now, she was actually quite scared by it xD

Garden State IS good (y)

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

They Live by Night I don't think there is a Nicholas Ray film that doesn't make me cry. His movies involve you so much with it's characters, and they look so good. It's the case with all his movies, even this low budget debut. You start to like them more and more, love them even, and they are so innocent, but it's noir so you know that there is something going to happen, so you're in a constant fear at the same time. Damn you Ray!

21o4pav.jpg

Month total:

December

Films

1. dvd.gifFanfan la Tulipe (Christian-Jaque, 1952) :: 8.0

2. dvd.gifThe Reckless Moment (Max Ophüls, 1949) :: 9.0

3. dvd.gifThe Savage Innocents (Nicholas Ray, 1960) eye.gif :: 8.5

4. dvd.gifTabu: A Story of the South Seas (F.W. Murnau, 1931) eye.gif :: 9.5 recensie.gif

5. dvd.gifPhenomena (Dario Argento, 1985) :: 7.5

6. dvd.gifWhite Dog (Samuel Fuller, 1982) :: 9.5

7. dvd.gifAnna, quel particolare piacere (Giuliano Carnimeo, 1973) :: 7.0

8. dvd.gif Audition (Frans Zwartjes, 1973) eye.gif :: 9.0

9. dvd.gifLiving (Frans Zwartjes, 1971) eye.gif :: 9.0

10. dvd.gif Sorbet 3 (Frans Zwartjes, 1968) :: 8.0

11. dvd.gif Bedsitters (Frans Zwartjes, 1974) eye.gif :: 9.5

12. dvd.gifShoot 'Em Up (Michael Davis, 2007) :: 7.0

13. dvd.gifThe Naked City (Jules Dassin, 1948) :: 8.5

14. dvd.gifBrute Force (Jules Dassin, 1947) :: 8.5

15. dvd.gifOpen Water (Chris Kentis, 2003) :: 1.0

16. dvd.gifAcross the Pacific (John Huston, 1942) :: 8.0 recensie.gif

17. bios.gifVicky Cristina Barcelona (Woody Allen, 2008) :: 8.0

18. dvd.gifWords and Music (Norman Taurog, 1948) :: 7.5

19. dvd.gifKomsomolsk (Joris Ivens, 1932) :: 6.0

20. dvd.gifÉtudes de mouvements (Joris Ivens, 1928) :: 7.0

21. dvd.gifPhilips-Radio (Joris Ivens, 1931) :: 6.8

22. dvd.gifDe Brug (Joris Ivens, 1928) :: 8.0

23. dvd.gifDe Wigwam (Joris Ivens, 1911) :: 6.0

24. dvd.gifRegen (Mannus Franken, Joris Ivens, 1929) eye.gif :: 8.5

25. dvd.gifNieuwe Gronden (Joris Ivens, 1934) :: 8.8

26. dvd.gifDesistfilm (Stan Brakhage, 1954) :: 8.0

27. dvd.gifWedlock House: An Intercourse (Stan Brakhage, 1959) :: 8.3

28. dvd.gifGoldfinger (Guy Hamilton, 1964) :: 7.7

29. bios.gifThe Day the Earth Stood Still (Scott Derrickson, 2008) :: 6.7

30. dvd.gifThunderball (Terence Young, 1965) eye.gif :: 6.7

31. dvd.gifCrank (Mark Neveldine, Brian Taylor, 2006) :: 3.0

32. dvd.gifYou Only Live Twice (Lewis Gilbert, 1967) eye.gif :: 8.3

33. dvd.gifOn Her Majesty's Secret Service (Peter R. Hunt, 1969) eye.gif :: 8.5

34. dvd.gifThey Live by Night (Nicholas Ray, 1948) eye.gif :: 9.5

Statistics

In total I saw 34 films:

- Short (till 20 min.): 9.

- Medium (21 till 75 min.): 4.

- Long (Over 75 min.): 21.

Total playtime: 2384 min.

Movies rewatched: 10.

Best score: Tabu: A Story of the South Seas, White Dog, Bedsitters, They Live by Night (All 9.5)

Slechtst beoordeeld: Open Water (1.0).

How I saw them

bios.gif 2.

dvd.gif 32.

21o4pav.jpg

I am Cuba (Soy Cuba) (1964) - I didn't have much of an idea about this film before it was advertised as part of Film 4's 'Films To See Before You Die' season but I'm so glad I did. It's a propaganda film that shows some of the events in the build up to the Cuban revolution through 4 separate stories. The cinematography is absolutely astounding, it's hard to do it justice with words if you haven't seen it. It is a propaganda film in the tradition of the Soviet films of the era(it was directed by Mikhail Kalatozov and a Russian crew) so of course there is a clear message behind the film but that really doesn't take away from the film at all. It is a tragedy that this wasn't seen by many people for almost 30 years until it was rediscovered during the 90's.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

How2, how long does it take you to finalize your little tallies? That must be one long post. Also, you like to see older movies, dontcha?

Daan, did you format it like that yourself or do you have a website that keeps track of the movies you watch?

No, I don't have to do that myself, haha. That would be too much effort. :D It's a dutch website, WhatIWatch :)Everytime I watch a movie I rate it on the website, and at the end of the month I can export it and it looks like that. :)

21o4pav.jpg

Ah, ok. I knew you took your movies seriously, but, damn, that would be insane.

I saw Yes Man. Really good, actually. I might have been entranced away from the actual film, though. The girl from Elf was in it (I love her >:l), Murray from Flight of the Conchords was in it (very similarly acting), Hyde from That 70's show, and some other guy, probably from a funny movie. He played the antagonist in that one, I believe...

Anyways, had a lot of good jokes. And motorcycles. And massive group songs to save people - that one always gets me.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

I went and saw Bedtime Stories. Pretty cool, but they overshowed that freakin' Guinea Pig, and tried to get laughs every time it was mentioned - Funny first time, getting really lame the 50th freakin' time! :wall:

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

Naked City was the movie I saw after Brute Force, I am a bit mixed about this. It felt pretty realistic, and the last thirty or fourty minutes were brilliant. But that freaking narrator spoiled a lot of my pleasures. Still, powerfull black and white images in these Dassin movies.

I just caught this on tv last night, I only watched on the basis of a vague memory of your post. I enjoyed the film although it does go off on a tangent at times and there is a bit too much narration. The plot was enough to keep me interested throughout and the b&w visuals are pretty good. My real problem in appreciating this was my tiredness, it started at 2:30am and ended at 4am this morning so I was pretty exhausted, I think if it had been on earlier I would have been a much sharper viewer.

Also, was it just me or is that last line of narration (the "8 million stories in The Naked City, this is just one of them." line) homaged in Summer of Sam (Jimmy Breslin's bit).

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)