The slightest of advantages.

gorgoroth

Well the past few days i've been doing some Runecrafting. I've also been playing around with the quality settings. I've been playing around with Full Screen and Normal Screen. I noticed that while playing in wide screen i was able to view a larger area of the map than i would be able to whilst playing in Standard Detail. The thought came to me that even though the advantage is only a few inches, it might just be those few inches that really matters. I find this a bit unfair to people who are unable to use High Detail while playing. I managed to cut down the time of my Runecrafting runs, i managed to click on a NPC faster than the person standing next to me. This could also be very helpfull if i plan on Rushing people and they just happen to play in Standard Detail. I'll be able to attack someone on the edge of my view, yet to them i won't even be in view. Are weaker computers at a disadvantage? Is this really fair?

I just thought this might have some discussion vallue as i found it quite interresting.

demonic.png

comment-1.jpg

**Thanks to Boo_Boy666 for my amazing Singnature**

[hide=Slaytanicc's Achievments]|99Cooking achieved 24Dec 2008|99Strength achieved 17Feb 2009|99Hit Points achieved 8April 2009|

|99Defense achieved 29May 2009|99Attack achieved 2August 2009|99Ranged achieved 14August 2009|[/hide]

[hide=Guides by Slaytanicc]Aviansie Maging + Ranging Guide (Must Read!!)

Iron Mining + Banking Guide

Green Dragons Guide

Ankou Slaying Guide[/hide]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The amount of people unable to play with HD is quite minimal I think. Computer specs have improved lots with years so I'm sure most people have computers that aren't older than 5-6 years. My 4 year old PC ran HD easily.

It's not always about age, my laptop is only 2 or so years old but it needed an upgrade before it could run HD.

The number of people ABLE to play HD is lower than you think.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

It's nowhere near the disadvantage that people with bad connections that suffer lots of lag will have.

Or lame frames per second people will get on worse machines.

Bad computer equals slight disadvantages. In my opinion that's pretty much always going to be the way of things, matters in Runescape less than in most games.

I always rush doing this, if your so far off the screen that you cant see them then timer back in so you can see them, they still will not see you until the claw hit (you can even blitz).

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

I can run HD but normally just go with standard detail as i'm used to the screen size and layout of all the buttons and tabs. Only really use HD for important level-ups or if i'm just hanging around.

Also, just realised i saw you runecrafting yesterday, never knew you were a Tif member. ::'

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

Some people can run HD but choose not too.

That's me! I hate lag, so I don't play on hd.. but my computer dosen't lag, so I must be old-fashioned.

Oh well.

cwsiggyfinal.jpg

Sig by me, in MS paint, but I'm still working on it.

Suggestions appreciated

This guide is as concise as a gourmet's handbook with the guidelines of "Pick up fork, stab food, insert into your mouth, then chew".

I know a lot of rushers use this to their advantage, and from what I've heard it's quite helpful killing Jad as well.

I wouldn't call it a major advantage though, if you pay attention you should be able to protect yourself from rushers regardless of the size of your screen.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

My new laptop can't handle HD, even on it's lowest settings I still lag horrendously, which is quite annoying seeing as I bought it aobut 2 months ago. My last laptop I bought 4 years ago and it was running HD on full detail and fullscreen with no lag until it broke.. *sigh*

I like SD now anyway. Less lag, simpler.

asrhasrh.jpg

My desktop handles HD wonderfully, so whenever I am on that, I am playing in HD. However, my brand new laptop (4 days old) can only handle HD on it's highest battery draining setting. So I tend to play on SD.

You have to have a pretty poor computer (Desktop, laptops tend to drain batteries fast and only high end laptops are good for gaming) to not be able to handle HD, full screen or not. When it comes to MMOs, Everquest has higher requirements than Runescape, and that game is from 1999. As it turns out, computers need to be upgraded every few years.

High Detail: 256 MB RAM, 1.5 GHz CPU, Nvidia GeForce3 or equivalent graphics card

And those few inches don't really matter.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

All this talk of new (or newish) laptops not being able to play HD is just crazy.

I have a AAO (acer aspire one) netbook which can run HD without much hassle, its got a 1.6ghz single core Atom and 512mb of ram. My 5+ year old Dell Dimension 2400 (celeron cpu and <1gb of ram) will play HD fine as well.

Having said that I prefer SD for some reason (call me a purist if you want).

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Those few inches help you when doing an activity like the blast furnace. Not that you need to with themed worlds, but HD allows one to solo it much easier because you can see when the bars are done and you can stop running the bike. Even if you aren't soloing, it's handy because someone doesn't have to yell stop.

Flyingjj.png

Some people can run HD but choose not too.

Thats what I do. Less lag, but more importantly everything is closer together, so I don't have to go moving my mouse all the way across the screen all the time.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

All this talk of new (or newish) laptops not being able to play HD is just crazy.

I have a AAO (acer aspire one) netbook which can run HD without much hassle, its got a 1.6ghz single core Atom and 512mb of ram. My 5+ year old Dell Dimension 2400 (celeron cpu and <1gb of ram) will play HD fine as well.

Having said that I prefer SD for some reason (call me a purist if you want).

Every laptop is different, some people may not be able to play due to their internet connection.

I have recently got a new desktop, but my old laptop had the right specs for HD and couldnt run it atall, i was gutted! :(

Warrierlord9.png

My Stats Suck :(

warrierlord9.png

Everyone knows runescape isn't about the graphics. :P

Even though I can play HD I still play standard mode because I grew up judging games on their gameplay, not their graphics. Xbox ftw. \'

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

I could use fullscreen HD or windowed standard with no difference in lag. I personally use a mixture with windowed HD. I can't seem to adjust to the fullscreen mode. Actually, it may just be that I don't want to take time to attempt to adjust. :lol:

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

The thought came to me that even though the advantage is only a few inches, it might just be those few inches that really matters.

The jokes write themselves, don't they?

Innuendo aside, I suggest you set a timer while doing Runecrafting. One hour, do it with standard detail. The other hour, do it with high detail. My guess is that the two will be about the same. Maybe the HD will have 1-2 more loads of runes per hour, just maybe. My own experience with runecrafting tells me otherwise, though. Don't sweat it.

Now PKing, on the other hand, I wouldn't wanna have a bad computer period.

Astaroth51.png

signc6.png