Real life help & advice

Abc1230

Her dad is right. Unless the courses are a pre-requisite to her college courses then there is no point in taking advanced classes. People look at your grades, and probably never take into account the level of difficulty of your class, so doing an honours class is not necessarily a good thing. It only works if the system for grading takes into account the grades of the other kids in your class (so a 70 in a class with a 40 class average would actually be really good).

I didn't go into honours in either high school, cegep or university and I've already raked up more than 2,000$ in scholarships alongside a shelf filled with awards. I think it's easier to prove that you're smart by getting top grades rather than doing a lot of extra work in advanced classes.

hiccup.png

In my opinion the ONLY reason to take an AP course is for the boost in your GPA, which is really a transparent boost since colleges take off the GPA from weighted courses, and the boost in class rank. The other reason is only to take it is if you enjoy the subject. Otherwise you'll just be shooting yourself in the foot with the course. Taking the course so you won't have to take it in college is a bad plan, because in high school you'll be taught the course from a teacher who's only had a few days of training on how to teach an AP course. If you take it in college, you'll actually have a professor with a master's degree in the subject they're teaching who knows what they're talking about.

wl7w9j.png

Well, don't you like, learn more in AP classes? Isn't that the whole idea?

Not always, since they still have the same cirriculum standards to meet, they can end up filling the rest of the course with (more) useless activities: ex, AP English, you learn a few more words, and then spend the rest of the year performing plays.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

Yeah, that's the only reason to take the class - college credit.

Of course, if you plan on going into an Honors program like me, you're sorta screwed sideways since they have a different core curriculum. Still helps, all the same. And no matter what, you'll have things like math, and a lot of Honors programs are more liberal-artsy or creative-wise, so some just have you take the regular courses.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

I'm also not seeing any benefits to graduating early seeing as most scholarships are aimed towards college bound seniors. She may as well just stay all 4 years taking AP classes for the GPA boost and the college credits.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Education aside, why would you want to leave behind your friends when you could still meet them regularly for a few more years. Skipping High School to get into college sooner just seems like a pro-longed want of being grown up commonly seen in a child.

Enjoy being young when you can.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Hey guys, not a homework question as I already have the answer, but if anyone can find a more efficient way to get the same answer, help will be appreciated. This answer is in a dubious form itself and I cant find anything ... :thumbsup:

[spoiler=Question]question.png

What do I need to make a latte at home? I googled but I don't understand what cool looking machines I need. How would I make it? Please someone explain it to me like they would to a child, I'll be eternally grateful ;]

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

I love how everyone completely ignores the various AP exams. If you pass the AP exam for whatever subject then you'll earn college credits for that subject, allowing you have more free time and have to pay less for books and whatnot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AP_Exam

My point was that would be a stupid thing to do, in my opinion. Unless I end up really rich, I'll probably only go to college once in my life. I want to make sure that I can learn as much as I can in those four years (or more). Skipping a course would be stupid in my situation, since it would mean that I get a lousy high school teacher to teach me a course that doesn't differ too much from a regular course at the school. I'd much rather have an actual professor teach me.

It's kind of an elitist opinion, but whatever. None of the AP teachers I've had so far have been very good anyways. I've learned nothing so far, and believe me I'm definitely trying to get something out of these classes.

wl7w9j.png

I love how everyone completely ignores the various AP exams. If you pass the AP exam for whatever subject then you'll earn college credits for that subject, allowing you have more free time and have to pay less for books and whatnot.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AP_Exam
My point was that would be a stupid thing to do, in my opinion. Unless I end up really rich, I'll probably only go to college once in my life. I want to make sure that I can learn as much as I can in those four years (or more). Skipping a course would be stupid in my situation, since it would mean that I get a lousy high school teacher to teach me a course that doesn't differ too much from a regular course at the school. I'd much rather have an actual professor teach me.It's kind of an elitist opinion, but whatever. None of the AP teachers I've had so far have been very good anyways. I've learned nothing so far, and believe me I'm definitely trying to get something out of these classes.

I ran into this issue as well as I just graduated high school with 42 college credits done mostly through testing (CLEP and DSST). It was a struggle for me because I felt like I was robbing myself of the knowledge that I would have gained by taking those classes. However, what sold me was the fact that I could then take 42 college credits of classes that I actually wanted to take. So now instead of spending my time taking general education courses I get to spend my time taking really cool classes that I will both enjoy and learn more from.

That is the benefit of taking AP exams and classes is that it allows you to take another class that you really want to take instead of a class that you have to take.

91% percent of the people polled said they were liers. The other 9% lied to us.

What do I need to make a latte at home? I googled but I don't understand what cool looking machines I need. How would I make it? Please someone explain it to me like they would to a child, I'll be eternally grateful ;]

No idea.

But I'm pretty sure store owners who sell these machines could explain best.

Blergh, didn't want to talk to real people but guess it can't be avoided.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

Education aside, why would you want to leave behind your friends when you could still meet them regularly for a few more years. Skipping High School to get into college sooner just seems like a pro-longed want of being grown up commonly seen in a child.

People said this to me before I left high school early, and I don't think they are .001% right at all. College is so much better, theres not even a comparison.

Also, to the guys who said they didn't want to take AP classes because you wanted to take them in college, wouldn't graduating early be a good thing then? Because you get to take those classes, and learn more than in high school.

2s0cxth.png

People said this to me before I left high school early, and I don't think they are .001% right at all. College is so much better, theres not even a comparison.

Also, to the guys who said they didn't want to take AP classes because you wanted to take them in college, wouldn't graduating early be a good thing then? Because you get to take those classes, and learn more than in high school.

Are you being spoonfed by your parents while in college? Did you had lots of friends in high school. There's sure people who prefer to skip high school and all, but I highly doubt that's the real case.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

16 would only make him a year to two years younger than the rest of his class, that's not too bad in my opinion. It's not like th 12 year old my sister had in her calc class or something like that.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Well, there's this place Im supposed to go to tomorrow morning for a "trial employment" (zero pay) for a week. my parents keep saying "oh go for it, give it a try"

I hate it. The job said WEBSITE MANAGEMENT, not BUY AND SELL CHILDRENS FURNITURE VIA EBAY.

How do I tell them politely (both my parents and employer) That I dislike the job and do not want it, since im paying my money, of what little I have left, on fuel for a trial and I dislike children...

EDIT: its 12:20am and I need to wake up at 7am soo.... I kinda need the advice as soon as possible, pref' before they expect me to go in...

Popoto.~<3

As I understand it, you get no pay for one week. What is the salary after that ? And also, you've been unemployed for sometime, so, why don't you just see how it goes, have some cash in hand. You know, beggars can't be choosers. Then again, you said you're shelling out just to go there, so, ... just tell both your parents and your employer that with your current situation, the job is not helpful. Don't say you hate it, because I'm guessing it'll piss your parents off.

EDIT: Just read this.

Regret, applying for this job. Working with stocktaking childrens furniture from ebay. I did it from a spur of the moment and didnt think they'd ring back in 10mins. Plus the job sucks, the pay is $7 an hour and I have to work 8:30am till 5pm every weekday no sick leave. talk about slave driving.

and im on a 1 week no pay trial, which is worse.

Ditch and run man !

Are you being spoonfed by your parents while in college? Did you had lots of friends in high school. There's sure people who prefer to skip high school and all, but I highly doubt that's the real case.

No, actually, I'm not. I had taken every AP class in high school, had a 4.2 GPA, and got offered a scholarship to start college for FREE two years early. The thought, "Oh, I'd rather stay at high school so I don't miss out on the 'high school experience' than save $20,000 a year going to college for free" never crossed my mind. Just because I'm in college doesn't mean I cant see my friends anymore, I still hang out with them every weekend. I actually just went to Prom two Saturdays ago.

2s0cxth.png

Is ~$90 for a tux rental for a whole weekend, plus free pick up and delivery worth it or should I shop around some more?

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Is ~$90 for a tux rental for a whole weekend, plus free pick up and delivery worth it or should I shop around some more?

When I was going to need one for a funeral it was the same free pick and delivery deal, but it was $110. I guess that could just be the place by me's pricing...

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.