Real life help & advice

Abc1230

Alright, here's the deal.

I do AMAZINGLY in pretty much everything at school, but the two things I fall flat in are ASL (American Sign Language), and Math.

It's always been this way, and it's really ruining everything. At first I didn't know how I could be doing so good in everything BUT those two things. But I think I figured it out:

Both of these things are based on memorization. ASL you memorize the signs and grammar, Math you memorize a few dozen different formulas and rules at the same time. I have absolutely no ability to memorize. Anything. Ever. Tried increased studying and going to extra help, but no good, I just cannot memorize, no matter what extra things or tricks I try.

Write all the formulas down. If you cant use notes on a test, program all the formulas into your calculator. If you don't have a calculator that can do that, buy one.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Some people are good at math and some people aren't, that's usually how things go. I personally love math (don't love all the work involved but that's not the point) because it either is or isn't, it's not some abstract guess work at what Mark Twain meant in his sentence. However, I do bull [cabbage] like a pro, and you can't do that in math.

I wish I could actually help, but I'm not sure how I could do that. And the only signs I know are a few letters and a line from a barney song we learned back in kindergarten in sign language I remember some how.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Alright, here's the deal.

I do AMAZINGLY in pretty much everything at school, but the two things I fall flat in are ASL (American Sign Language), and Math.

It's always been this way, and it's really ruining everything. At first I didn't know how I could be doing so good in everything BUT those two things. But I think I figured it out:

Both of these things are based on memorization. ASL you memorize the signs and grammar, Math you memorize a few dozen different formulas and rules at the same time. I have absolutely no ability to memorize. Anything. Ever. Tried increased studying and going to extra help, but no good, I just cannot memorize, no matter what extra things or tricks I try.

Write all the formulas down. If you cant use notes on a test, program all the formulas into your calculator. If you don't have a calculator that can do that, buy one.

Well there are probably less expensive ways to cheat... But it's not going to help you learn anything.

I'm positive there is nothing wrong with your memory skills, or you would have struggled with learning across the board from an early age. I never liked maths much either and never really tried, but most of it is just practice. The more you practice using rules and formulas, the more likely you are to retain that information.

Out of interest, why do you have to learn ASL?

rosssigfinal.jpg

Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate it :thumbup:

To answer your question Jeff, I don't think I do. You're just required to learn a language, presumably to keep us off the streets for an extra 42 minutes a day.

Someone before said to use a calc, and thats a damn good point that I believe the government is actually considering. Math is obsolete. You need to know basic math, adding, subtracting, dividing, multiplying. After that though, unless you seek special training for a job that will teach you that stuff anyway, all you really need to know is how to string these together into something a calculator can read. Replace Math with that, really. I'm not spending summer in a 90 degree room because I don't know how to do things a calculator can do in the blink of an eye.

They say it's because they don't want us getting too dependent on a calculator. Screw that, the only way something like that would be completely unavailable would be in an emergency situation, and in an emergency situation, the last thing I'm going to do is start adding or subtracting. Or signing, for that matter.

10 years ago, when I started school, teachers would say that not everything can be solved by a calc. Well, time goes on, technology advances, I can get my vaccines sucked up my nose now rather than a painful injection, and they have calculators for everything.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Most scientific calculators can get you through most of uni and definitley highschool.. Basic mental arithmetic actually helps in exams. Adding, subtracting, multiplication. No need to punch in xyz. Saves time. We were allowed to use calculators, but unless it's absolutley required it slows you down.

Remembering math forumulas and etc... learn from first principles. Instead of just trying to learn it by rote [which some people can do], instead know how to derive it, if and when you need it. You get a better understanding, and if you forget you can get "back". [Though some formulas are paticularly longwinded, etc... like the quadratic, perpendicular distance, product of roots, most trigonometric identities]

Well, let me put it more this way. Think of what I can do, and what we've been at for the past week or so, as my RAM. The rest of the Math I've learned is my stupid Windows 95 hardrive.

We'll learn about something for a week, it'll all be fresh in my RAM, a test or quiz comes, and they'll pull a [bleep] move extraordinaire and bring something up from the inaccessible hardrive.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

I always just made programs for all the formulas in high school math, personally. That way all I had to do was enter in my numbers and get an answer. :thumbup:

And as far as it went to I will say that actually sitting down and programing a math problem (a formula) helped me learn it more so than any simple memorization. At that point by the test I was just saving time.

I am not a math wiz or anything. I'm a lot like you, I can't memorize a thing, ever, unless I'm really interested in it. I could never learn my lines for a play, I just read through the script once and BSed my way through the entire play. I got so pro I always got the lead parts :P

anyways do what I did. Look at each question as a puzzle. They always tell you exactly what you want. So just take the information you need, and try and figure out how you can put all the pieces together to get what you want. Admittedly it might take some practice. but it got me through basic algebra and as soon as I did what was required I never thought about algebra again lol

I had never heard anyone complaining about maths needing too much memory. Usually there are problems when the student learns formulas without really understanding them.

What grade are you in and what gives you trouble?

This signature is intentionally left blank.

Well, my memory is like a shaky straw skyscraper built on a windy seaside swamp and yet I've always been good at maths, so I just doubt you are taking the right approach to it if you say it's too difficult because of the memorisation.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

Well, my memory is like a shaky straw skyscraper built on a windy seaside swamp and yet I've always been good at maths, so I just doubt you are taking the right approach to it if you say it's too difficult because of the memorisation.

I'm the same my memory's horrible but i'm good at math, I can't spell to well though.

Pit_Guardian.png

Gamertag: EFs Predator.

Games I play: Halo 3, Halo wars.

• 1 month later...

Shameless bump:

To the women of tip.it; I'm trying to find out what kind of earrings you like seeing guys wearing. Big flashy bling-bling, large/small plugs or how about tribal stuff? I am aware some women hate earrings on guys... I'm only interested in the ones who are.

hiccup.png

A lot of girls I know really dig gauges - tiny ones. I wouldn't say go with anything big or "blingy" unless that's your usual style. Small, black - I've been looking at those kinds.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

I guess a single plain-ish sud would be acceptable, I have a friend who pulls off that look quite well, but I think it just comes down to a case by case basis as to whether it would look good or not.

rosssigfinal.jpg

If you go to a 00 on barrels it won't stretch them enough for them not to go back to a normal shape, and 00 barrels look good IMO. I've got some 16's that I need to put in, but I haven't pierced my ears yet, I need to do it soon.

Shameless bump:

To the women of tip.it; I'm trying to find out what kind of earrings you like seeing guys wearing. Big flashy bling-bling, large/small plugs or how about tribal stuff? I am aware some women hate earrings on guys... I'm only interested in the ones who are.

From (a lot) of personal experience, I can tell you that you shouldn't try too hard when it comes to girls. We just don't appriciate this kind of things for some bizzare reason.

What I'm trying to say is, that you shouldn't be wearing something because you think it would impress some girl, but rather because you want to. If it's the "big flashy bling-bling"s you like, go ahead with those, if it's something else, go with that.

(If you still would like to hear my opinion though... For some reason I like earrings that look kind of tribal, but only when they're very small.)

Shameless bump:

From (a lot) of personal experience, I can tell you that you shouldn't try too hard when it comes to girls. We just don't appriciate this kind of things for some bizzare reason.

What I'm trying to say is, that you shouldn't be wearing something because you think it would impress some girl, but rather because you want to. If it's the "big flashy bling-bling"s you like, go ahead with those, if it's something else, go with that.

(If you still would like to hear my opinion though... For some reason I like earrings that look kind of tribal, but only when they're very small.)

Uhhhh I don't wear or plan on wearing earrings. My self confidence is already through the roof and I don't need to push it. Thanks for the "be yourself" speech though.

I ask because I already know guys for the most part wear huge diamonds and I'm wondering if girls actually like them, or if they don't, what they really do like.

hiccup.png

Me and a pal are going to go to a restaruant and eat this big [wagon] pizza they have. Its huge and we have a time limit. It's like man vs. food, but it's team doubles becase you get a partner. Plus you have to have 2 toppings of your choice. (we are doing bacon or ham and green peppers).

SO anyway, it is going down Friday night, today is Wednesday night. I would like advice on what to eat before and how to train.

Today has already happened and I didn't eat much (cereal, chicken+fries and apple juice). Tomorrow I am going to eat very lightly and then on Friday I am going to eat nothing at all, only drink water. Is this respectable?

P.S. I also run track so I run a lot every day after school.

Uhhhh I don't wear or plan on wearing earrings. My self confidence is already through the roof and I don't need to push it. Thanks for the "be yourself" speech though.

I ask because I already know guys for the most part wear huge diamonds and I'm wondering if girls actually like them, or if they don't, what they really do like.

I don't think the girls you'd be interested are that interested in the huge diamonds. Those usually attract girls that get all annoying with their want for money, or ghetto-[wagon] girls.

That's why I go for classy, [bleep]ty girls.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

That's why I go for classy, [bleep]ty girls.

I heard lip rings are good for that?

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Me and a pal are going to go to a restaruant and eat this big [wagon] pizza they have. Its huge and we have a time limit. It's like man vs. food, but it's team doubles becase you get a partner. Plus you have to have 2 toppings of your choice. (we are doing bacon or ham and green peppers).

SO anyway, it is going down Friday night, today is Wednesday night. I would like advice on what to eat before and how to train.

Today has already happened and I didn't eat much (cereal, chicken+fries and apple juice). Tomorrow I am going to eat very lightly and then on Friday I am going to eat nothing at all, only drink water. Is this respectable?

TBH you should eat a medium breakfast I think. If you eat nothing all day, you will get full fairly fast. How long is the time limit?

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

TBH you should eat a medium breakfast I think. If you eat nothing all day, you will get full fairly fast. How long is the time limit?

Mmm 30 minutes. It's not a behemoth pizza but it is respectable size. And on Friday do a medium breakfast? Cereal?