Real life help & advice

Abc1230

If it changes the way you act, to the point of making you irritable, I'd say it's paranoia. If you simply acknowledge the elements in the space you are in and go on with your life, without actually feeling threatened, then I'd say it's just being imaginative.

16185_s.gif

I'm not paranoid, but I'm always aware of all possible escapes or weapons I can use to defend myself if trouble ever happens.

You don't think that qualifies as paranoia?

I myself have recently become obsessed with hand washing. I've been washing my hands several times an hour. It's really frustrating because I can't focus on anything for too long. I'll just get an urge to go wash my hands. Does that make me paranoid of being sick?

No, because I don't actually believe anything is going to happen, I just like to be prepared.

But that's paranoia; you fear something going wrong and hence are paranoid.

Not really. If it's consuming him so much that he's just constantly expecting somebody to come kill him and he has a gun in his hand at all times, that might be paranoia. If he's just aware of the fact that he can defend himself with object X, he's just prepared.

Prepared for what? Some to jump out the cupboard in a yeti costume and shout boo?

I'm not paranoid, but I'm always aware of all possible escapes or weapons I can use to defend myself if trouble ever happens.

You don't think that qualifies as paranoia?

I myself have recently become obsessed with hand washing. I've been washing my hands several times an hour. It's really frustrating because I can't focus on anything for too long. I'll just get an urge to go wash my hands. Does that make me paranoid of being sick?

Isn't that one of the most common OCD attacks?

Yes, it is one of the most common OCD behaviors and the bit about not being able to focus on anything for too long worries me. You should seriously consider seeing a psychologist about that before it gets any worse.

Paranoia is defined by an unreasonable amount of expectation or fear that something will happen. Just because he plans for something to happen doesn't make him paranoid. Paranoid would be expecting it to happen all the time, constantly doing something active to prevent it from happening or to react to it happening.

Flyingjj.png

• 2 weeks later...

I sort of want to get into photography. Can someone recommend me a good camera for a beginner that isn't too expensive? I don't know much about cameras, so I don't know how much a good camera is. I'd like to spend as little as possible, less than $100 would be cool, but I'd be willing to spend around $200 if that's impossible.

I sort of want to get into photography. Can someone recommend me a good camera for a beginner that isn't too expensive? I don't know much about cameras, so I don't know how much a good camera is. I'd like to spend as little as possible, less than $100 would be cool, but I'd be willing to spend around $200 if that's impossible.

You're better of asking in The Gallery, than here. You will get a much better response there. I can't recommend any cameras right not, but basically what you are looking at getting is a point and shoot camera.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Canon power shots are kewl for instantness.

What genre of music would you say this is?

Nitin Sawhney - The Devil and Midnight

I really like it, I wanna look for moar.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

Roots rock/pop? You're probably not going to find anything similar, but you'd do well to grab the album.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

Haha figured this is the best place to post it; I've recently quit runescape because it was taking over my real life to the extent that my grades at school were suffering and I needed a change. Now I just feel empty... nothing really seems worth it anymore. Everything I do just seems pointless and a waste of time. I've taken up watching runescape videos and listning to Adele haha, because if I do anything eles, like watch youtube videos or play other games it seems so pointless. Because in the back of my mind I'm craving the scape. I mean I gusse I should learn to play guitar for CAS - (Which is a school thing where you have to do creative things like that. ) or study, but really I just can't motivate myself. I've been staying at school later than normal so I can get study done there. But as soon as I get home I just don't want to do anything. I've even tried sleeping at 6 o'clock just because Id rather not be conscious, but really theres only so much sleep you can get. Surley quite a few people here have gone through the same thing?

Yeah, I went through a similar ordeal as well, Mighty. What I did however, was find a new hobby to do on the computer. I got into making signatures and what not, using photoshop. Not only does it pass time, you learn a new skill which opens up the doors to so many options in life that you wouldn't have been able to do otherwise. :thumbup:

Also, you might also want to try to photography, it is another good hobby to start.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

I used to be pretty addicted, and I had loads of friends/interesting people that I'd talk to all the time (so it wasn't just the content that I was addicted to). I ultimately found that letting my membership run out was a good way to start. When you have a ton of membership items but you can't use them, the game doesn't sound very appealing.

You just have to find other things that will serve a greater purpose than Runescape. For me, I found that longboarding did the job. I also started reading a lot more. Eventually you lose the urge to play. It is tough at first, and you have to be determined to ignore the urge to play, but in the end, you'll have a new hobby to preoccupy yourself.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

Make time to hang out with your friends, stay away from computers, take your mind off RS, or take up a hobby.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

a. Anybody have some good videos/resources for teaching yourself to play the bass? I've got books and stuff but am lacking in the 'official' hand position learning especially.

b. How can I be more motivated to do school-related things when I have no particular reason to? I've got to write a bunch of essays to test out of Econ, but I just don't feel like it.

My substitute for RS was Wikipedia. Same amount of work but at least somebody somewhere will read what I'm writing. Around 100 people a day read the article I'm currently working on. Only Wikipedia is much easier to go in to and pull out of as time demands, so it doesn't have that same life-ruining effect that RS does.

I'm not suggesting you become a Wikipedian, just that you find something else that keeps you occupied and find something that gives you that personal gratification. Because once you've found that, you'll find RS becomes less of a "need", definitely.

The human mind loves being occupied, so find something to replace RS, like some sort of hobby. Whether it be other games, photoshop, model painting, etc etc.

When I quit I ended up getting into TF2, and from there other PC games.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

Even better if you find multiple things. For me, I can't longboard during college because 90% of the time, there's snow and rain on the ground. So, during those weeks I'll play Halo: Reach or some other fun xbox360 games. I know for a fact I won't get addicted to those cause I've had the xbox all summer and haven't played it much at all.

Either find something you can do all the time (instruments are good, photography, etc), or find multiple things that you can alternate with.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

My substitute for RS was Wikipedia. Same amount of work but at least somebody somewhere will read what I'm writing. Around 100 people a day read the article I'm currently working on. Only Wikipedia is much easier to go in to and pull out of as time demands, so it doesn't have that same life-ruining effect that RS does.

I'm not suggesting you become a Wikipedian, just that you find something else that keeps you occupied and find something that gives you that personal gratification. Because once you've found that, you'll find RS becomes less of a "need", definitely.

What the heck does a "Wikipedian" do?

ojdv.jpg

If I wanted to join a group outside of school to meet new people and what not, what would be some good ideas of groups to join? Haven't really done something like this before so I'm open to try it. I'm 17, if that helps at all.

ojdv.jpg

What the heck does a "Wikipedian" do?

A Wikipedian strictly speaking is anyone who makes an edit to any language version of the Wikipedia project, mostly commonly the English version. In reality, people edit Wikipedia for different reasonsto fight vandalism, to improve or create articles, to help organise files such as images and audio recordings, and much more. The only thing that's common amongst all Wikipedians is what they refer to as 'knowledge-sharing behaviour', so in that sense, it's much like the Crew work on here.

If I wanted to join a group outside of school to meet new people and what not, what would be some good ideas of groups to join? Haven't really done something like this before so I'm open to try it. I'm 17, if that helps at all.

Try night schooling if you got the time. You could pick up some cool and interesting skills like pottery, or another language.

lampost_sig_stark.png

Try night schooling if you got the time. You could pick up some cool and interesting skills like pottery, or another language.

Not a chance with rowing Shiny. :(

ojdv.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Would you guys recommend pulling an all nighter for study? Kinda just realised how much I've still got to go over for mocks and I'm fretting about time.

ojdv.jpg

No I wouldn't. Find out when your optimum study time for your body is. I work well 9-11 in the morning and evening, and do the bulk of your study then. All nighters seldom work, and they stress your brain. Furthermore, the fatigue and lack of sleep is detrimental to memory recall. An all-nighter is fine for an assignment, but for study and revision the answer is no.

lampost_sig_stark.png