The F2P General Discussion Thread

lionesshunt

Best f2p ranged set?

I think I might got my hands on it: any comments?

snipped

In terms of range attack bonus, yes.

For training purposes the maple longbow w/sight is still slower than a maple shortbow. The gravite shortbow would be a slightly better choice than the maple shortbow, with regards to xp/hr.

You'd only see the benefit of the high range attack bonus of the maple longbow w/sight during PVP or minigame situations versus metal armoured or high def lvl opponents...

Best f2p ranged set?

snipped

In terms of range attack bonus, yes.

For training purposes the maple longbow w/sight is still slower than a maple shortbow. The gravite shortbow would be a slightly better choice than the maple shortbow, with regards to xp/hr.

You'd only see the benefit of the high range attack bonus of the maple longbow w/sight during PVP or minigame situations versus metal armoured or high def lvl opponents...

So why would a shortbow be better, if has slightly better rate of fire but only +40 att bonus instead of +110 wouldn't that mean a lot more zeros hence less exp.

So why would a shortbow be better, if has slightly better rate of fire but only +40 att bonus instead of +110 wouldn't that mean a lot more zeros hence less exp.

Gravite shortbow has +47 range attack bonus and it's firing rate is equal to the maple shortbow.

Even with the maple longbow w/sight's very high range attack bonus, it does not make up for it's much slower rate of fire.

The high range attack bonus favors lower level'ed rangers (~ under 60) more (if at all), as they would be hitting more 0's anyways. But I don't see higher leveled rangers getting any benefit out of it...

maple long with sight + full rune = hot tank.

i wanted to get 50 raiding before my def lvls up to 56 but thats not going to happen now so im upset. i want all skills except 1(str ending in 1) ending in 5 or 0 so 1k tot will look hot :evil:

Best f2p ranged set?

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8715/ranged.jpg

If you talk about training it's not. As already said the maple short is better. Also the hat is questionable. I won't recommend to recharge it as it's not really worth the small bonus. And a normal coif is better than an uncharged green one. This only applies if you're safespotting. If you face the monster face-to-face I always recommend a rune full helm. It has a huge defense bonus which is more useful than the small range attack bonus. You won't even need that much range attack bonus when you fight low defense monsters like flesh crawlers and with higher range level the bonus gets more irrelevant, too.

[404] Signature not found.

Best f2p ranged set?

ranged.jpg

The gravite shortbow would be better because it's speed is 6 as opposed to a longbows 4.

The much higher attack bonus in the longbow sight doesn't make up for the loss in speed as most F2P monsters have low defence, so you will always hit on them regardless.

Now I just confirmed that the gravite shortbow is indeed what I may be getting :)

Animorph_2.png

Best f2p ranged set?

ranged.jpg

The gravite shortbow would be better because it's speed is 6 as opposed to a longbows 4.

The much higher attack bonus in the longbow sight doesn't make up for the loss in speed as most F2P monsters have low defence, so you will always hit on them regardless.

Now I just confirmed that the gravite shortbow is indeed what I may be getting :)

Well if the hat is out of the question for the cheap recharge price of 15 tokens (like 2 matches in fog) then the gravite shortbow must also be with a 1M cost of rechagre every 10 hours of use. So if we stick to a the coif instead and are choosing bow between maple longbow (sighted) and maple shortbow, i still am not convinced the maple shortbow would be better as it would hit more zeros and waste time and arrows.

Well if the hat is out of the question for the cheap recharge price of 15 tokens (like 2 matches in fog) then the gravite shortbow must also be with a 1M cost of rechagre every 10 hours of use. So if we stick to a the coif instead and are choosing bow between maple longbow (sighted) and maple shortbow, i still am not convinced the maple shortbow would be better as it would hit more zeros and waste time and arrows.

The recharge cost for the coif is quite reasonable. It's up to you if it's worth the minimal effort in FOG.

Recharge cost is 1M gp or 100K gp + 6.5k tokens, for a fully discharged g. shortbow. I'd suspect people would be more inclined to use the gp/token option for recharging.

Rate of degrade has personally been tested at 1% per 15 minutes, in a worst case scenario (non-stop firing and not picking up arrows). This comes out to 25+hours for a fully charged g. shortbow. Much better than Jagex's reported 10 hour usage time.

Anyone can tell you until they're blue in the face that one bow is better/worse than the other. The only thing that really matters is how each works for you.

I'd recommend just spending some time with both. Use each for 30 mins to an hour and keep track of range XP gained. See which one is best for you.

I've done just that, and found that the maple longbow w/sight isn't as pretty as it looks. It's just too darn slow.

Its not the tokens, its the time it takes to get to FoG. The ring conveniently teleports you right to the rewards. There is no easy way to get to the FoG cave on the other hand.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Its not the tokens, its the time it takes to get to FoG. The ring conveniently teleports you right to the rewards. There is no easy way to get to the FoG cave on the other hand.

it's not like FoG is far out of the way. Var tele and run...

Disregard females.

Acquire currency.

FoG might not be too far out, but you also need to consider the distance to your previous training spot.

Plus, 25 hours of training versus an hour at best (FoG items have a nasty habit of degrading regardless of combat style), you'll be interrupted far less frequently. The gain is minimal, and short term.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

FoG might not be too far out, but you also need to consider the distance to your previous training spot.

Plus, 25 hours of training versus an hour at best (FoG items have a nasty habit of degrading regardless of combat style), you'll be interrupted far less frequently. The gain is minimal, and short term.

Probably helps to minimize "travel waste" by buying/charging multiple GD coifs. I have 3 of them.

I only play FOG after all 3 are discharged. And only for enough tokens to recharge all 3.

Is it worth the extra time, back and forth to FOG and actual time spent playing FOG, for a little extra range attack bonus?

Most definetly not.

But we're F2P, what the hell else do we have in our pathetic range arsenal?

I've found the Green Dhide Coif and Rune Berserker (yeah, I use that joker too), are pretty darn consistent with nominal 5 hour (+ or - 5 minute) degrade times.

You certainly can stick with the GD coif and just figure out what bow to use. You'll probably find in (most) cases that; Maple Longbow w/Sight > Maple Shortbow > Gravite Shortbow.

Solution, buy three coifs and keep them in your inventory. If you can afford it then it makes them less of a pain to charge. And stock up on FoG tokens to save time as well. Like 200-300. Its only a day or so of playing.

Edit: Hadn't refreshed the page and got beat to it.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

Distance to training spot lol? What distance? This is f2p. The furthest training spot that I can think of is the wilderness volcano or ice cavern which is a minute or two run from a tele. Having mulple coifs solves this problem and is best for safespotting. I think the small bonus is debatable but for some, every little bit counts.

Disregard females.

Acquire currency.

Wait, why would you be using the FOG coif?

+2 ranged bonus is not that much of a difference, and when it degrades, it has even worse bonus than a regular coif.

Not worth it imo.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I'm betting one of those 5 players had the required Hunter level.

Yeah. Bonus rooms ALWAYS have a level requirement, so one of the players has the hunter level.

Nope all except for me have been members. And I wasn't the one who caught the ferret.

Plus you couldn't do members doors on F2P worlds even if you met the requirements. (Construction, herblore, farming doors) (Or even Agility obstacles)

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Ok, maybe for the ferret thing it's possible.

But ex-mems are able to manage the agility obstacle. That's how some F2Pers have agility exp.

And for some reason a level 205 harlakk the riftsplitter is VERY easy... my 3 deaths from that 5:5 large were all from mobs piling me to no end.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

And for some reason a level 205 harlakk the riftsplitter is VERY easy...

Wish I had your skills.

I find Turdsplitter to be in the top 3 hardest bosses for me, when solo.

I always have to play gatestone heal on him multiple times...

And for some reason a level 205 harlakk the riftsplitter is VERY easy...

Wish I had your skills.

I find Turdsplitter to be in the top 3 hardest bosses for me, when solo.

I always have to play gatestone heal on him multiple times...

when you solo, you had no reason to say any of the boss is hard.

when solo, i find all is the boss is easy if you prepared. and riftsplitter is one of the easiest boss i ever found, which dont even need any preparation(just need run around the boss room), open its room and just directly go in and finish or come out of there if there is still bonus room.

Actually, I just use the Protect from Magic trick. That way, it only does its magic attack (which drains some prayer) and NO other regular attacks.

It can still summon portals though, but those aren't too dangerous even if they are unavoidable.

Oh and also, look what I got today.

iyl8pe.png

(I refused to get 60 pray, because of the combat level issue. Yeah, I'm just that nitpicky. :rolleyes: )

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Actually, I just use the Protect from Magic trick. That way, it only does its magic attack (which drains some prayer) and NO other regular attacks.

It can still summon portals though, but those aren't too dangerous even if they are unavoidable.

Oh and also, look what I got today.

iyl8pe.png

(I refused to get 60 pray, because of the combat level issue. Yeah, I'm just that nitpicky. :rolleyes: )

Well done Sonic :D

Hopefully I can get level 80 in a few weeks :)

Animorph_2.png

my top 3 hated bosses are

stomp the most anoying

then i find riftfailer the hardest boss so far, i always die 2/3 times but he dies fast to. then its the booknerd i always die 1 or 2 times to him

from the looks of things the ranger guy that prays(cant spell names k) is going to be hard seeing as im meleeing

my top 3 hated bosses are

stomp the most anoying

then i find riftfailer the hardest boss so far, i always die 2/3 times but he dies fast to. then its the booknerd i always die 1 or 2 times to him

from the looks of things the ranger guy that prays(cant spell names k) is going to be hard seeing as im meleeing

My worst boss is Shadow forger. But harlaak is a close second.

100% F2P

85 Mining achieved on Dec 4, 2007

85 Smithing achieved on May 28, 2009

anim7.png

The ranger is most easy by meleeing and praying magic protect. Using that setup I don't die at all, though I didn't know about harl being more easy with mage protect

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

"choosing your path is the true trial", "the most honorable dilemma"