22-Mar-2010 - Fish Flingers

Melencholy

First off, let me say I don't expect high level content every week.

However, many of us were led to believe that 2010 would up the share of high level content more so than in years past. So far it really hasn't. I would say it feels like even less, but that's just me.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been lots of high level updates over the last 12 months.

Very high level players are a tiny percentage of Jagex's customer base. They already get a disproportionate share of updates. It is bad business to spend 50% of your time making content that is used by 1% of your customers.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Well to be honest we have gotten TONS of high leveled content over the last 6 months (which became very obvious when I came back after not playing for 6 months). I mean we were giving herblore things up to level 96 which changed the whole way herblore was looked at, also as a good side effect it bumped up herb prices making many low-leveled monsters very profitable. We were given a whole new prayer book (which I haven't gotten yet, but will soon) which made prayer useful up to 95, shot dragon bones through the roof and gave both high and low-leveled players a huge profit boost from their dragon trips. There have been TONS of small updates to improve game play for everyone, there has been the addition of a new skilling miningame (Shattered Heart) which is obviously more used by higher players than lower players. Mining and fishing were upgraded with the addition of Living Rock Caverns, giving us the new most efficient ways to train both. Strykewyrms brought an amazing new staff, and hexcrest/focus sight which gave range and mage a fighting chance in slayer now, also made a new highest slayer monster in the game at 93 slayer required. Runecrafting got a big update making it more profitable for everyone with the addition of extra runes without having the "double level" as previously needed. Fishing, thieving and fishing were all affected by the update which allows agility to help you in the other two.

Overall there has been a lot of big updates in the last 6-8 months, I am very happy with the amount and quality of content we have been given and I will be happy with all of it until the new skill comes out, that is the only update I am looking forward to.

With RS being a MMO high level updates aren't just there for the minority that has access to the them the day the update gets released. Many lowbies (or high levels who just happen to have a low skill X) will start to train to achieve their goal of gaining access to that piece of high level content. Even if it only takes a day on average for most people to achieve that goal it is still much more time than most people will spend on a nooby quest or skill update with lvl 30 reqs and hardly any benefit. After all, improving yourself and achieving goals are what this game is all about. High level updates have a much bigger impact on the game than most low level updates.

Of course not every update needs 90+ reqs and lowbie quests and the like are a welcome addition to the game. But a level 93 Slayer monster can't keep everyone with a decent total level entertained for 2 months :rolleyes: .

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

The kind of whining thtt annoys me is the kind that fails to take perspective.

Eg Blood Pact is rubbish and too easy because it only takes 2 minutes and u can 1 hit everything etc etc etc. Yes that may all be true but thats because its a quest aimed at new players and ur lvl 138.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

People still complaining about lack of High-level content?

Excuse me. I'm still trying to catch up to the extreme Fishing, extreme Herblore, extreme Prayer, extreme Slayer and (sorta) extreme Hunter updates we've been given the past few months. Granted, YOU may already have achieved those levels, but I haven't. I don't need to be blown away with epic content every week. For one, it ruins the feeling you get when you actually do get such an update. For the other, I don't like being forced subconciously to grind levels to enjoy new content.

As for this week, I can't say I mind at all. I'm usually busy throughout the week, so D&D's are a perfect way for a casual approach to your every day stuff. If not for them, I would've never been able to get the Woodcutting, Mining - and to lesser extends: Runecrafting, Agility and Summoning levels I have today.

I've been wanting to up Fishing for a long time (to 80 at least, for SC) and I was REALLY dreading the mindless grinding involved. Free fun XP every 90 minutes for a total of 10 times a week? Can't complain with that one. Why should you? Quests, though fun and enriching, are contemporary. Skill content is just another way to grind x skill, just being faster/slower/more expensive/more profitable than grinding the y-method.

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

dont forget about ardy elite diary, which few can complete.

and the enroute elite section for all the others (hard for lumby) that equally most probably wont be able to complete

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

and the enroute elite section for all the others (hard for lumby) that equally most probably wont be able to complete

Enroute elite? What does that mean?

Exactly. For being out for several months, I have only one of its tasks completed, whereas I completed all other diaries within the first 3 days they got released post-Varrock. Granted, if I set my mind to it (read: few stews and boosts) I could propably complete a few more, but I'd still not be able to complete the entire diary.

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png

[/hide]

Enroute elite? What does that mean?

They annoucned mod maz is working on elite sections for all the other diaries (hard for lumby) in wake of ardy.

Mod Maz almsot dropped vague comments lately tht suggest they will be in-game soon

Hence they are enroute.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

They annoucned mod maz is working on elite sections for all the other diaries (hard for lumby) in wake of ardy.

Mod Maz almsot dropped vague comments lately tht suggest they will be in-game soon

Hence they are enroute.

QFCpl0x<3

Naaxi.png

Very high level players are a tiny percentage of Jagex's customer base. They already get a disproportionate share of updates. It is bad business to spend 50% of your time making content that is used by 1% of your customers.

Not when lower levels already have all of the (quests, especially!) content they need. Usually it is the higher levels who complete these lower leveled quests and activities upon release. So yes, for just this year, it would make perfect sense to release content that is split 50/50.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Can anyone find proof of this? If so thats sooooo badass =P

Elite

So, seven diaries later and what has changed? Well, we give far greater rewards for the newer diaries than we gave to Karamja; we’ve added a special beginner diary to Lumbridge to introduce new players to the concept; and, of course, we recently released the Ardougne diary with a hidden elite section.

We were a little wary about how this elite section would go down considering how few players could actually complete it. Overall, the feedback appears to have been positive, with many players using it as a goal, rather than seeing it as a disappointment that they’ll never reach.

So, I’m now starting to design the elite sections for all of the diaries (hard for Lumbridge). What does this involve? It’s generally split into two parts: coming up with tasks and coming up with rewards.

By far the easier part is coming up with the tasks, which is in no small part due to you, the players. I cannot begin to count the number of good tasks that have been suggested for previous diaries on the forums. Being a player of RuneScape as well as a developer, I’ll also use my own game knowledge of the area to come up with some tasks, as well as walking around the area to get a feel for it.

In the case of elite tasks, I will also be talking to the curators of the other diaries that I didn’t develop or do not curate - that’s Mod Roderick (Lumbridge and Varrock), Mod Trick (Falador) and Mod Hew (Fremennik) - to see what they’d want. Oh, and listening to the squirrels’ instructions for world domination... Wait, what?

Link to DevBlog

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png

[/hide]

Don't forget that high-level content is in a way also for low levels. It's a goal for people who can't partake and it will somewhat motivate them into training their skills. There should always be something left to do even for high leveled players. Low levels already have so much to do and look forward to.

Click here to check out my Youtube channel!

In terms of proof for these Elite diaries:

Dev Blog that Announces they are being done

Dev Blog, last line Maz says I'm still working on me

RSOF Forum post where Max again confirms them

There#s probs more but i cant be assed to find em. TBH the first dev blog alone shows it

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I guess im not a high level since i like most updates. :P

No, you're just not an elitist. ;)

@Blood Pact ranting:

Aww, you can't just enjoy the quest because low levels can do it too?

Were you ever promised that those hours you spent (or it seems wasted, in light of your pessimism) gaining higher levels would be rewarded?

- Nope. But you trained anyway. You trained in light of knowing that you weren't really able to do anything useful at the levels you were gaining.

So why complain now? Every single new update that brings content into the game isn't hurting you. It isn't TAKING AWAY from what you had before.

- Weren't you content with what you had before? Surely you were, or you wouldn't have been training.

Anyone who trained to high skill levels has no right to complain that they aren't getting updates to make use of those skill levels, because they knew what they were getting into.

JaGEx doesn't release content right, really. Understandably, when they began making skills, they only made things up to perhaps 70 or 80, probably thinking they'd have enough time to extend the skills before many people reached those levels. But then they just didn't, which is odd in itself.

Instead of releasing two new fish to catch and cook they should really work on filling all gaps and creating good BALANCE - you know, that stuff they're always seeming to fret about? - for each product or resource. I'd rather see sharks or magic logs be worth collecting (time / XP -wise) rather than new fish that are just plain better in every way or vines that are way better but just for XP.

If we wanted to get mathematical about this we could say that each level is 10% more difficult to get than the last one, right? I think it's around there, at least. I don't know how to do the math. But they could make the benefit given at each level clearly visible and on a sliding scale as well, rather than randomly strewn out as they have it now.

So if we had crayfish at level 1 that healed 1HP we should have steamed whales at level 98 that heal... Someone help me here?

Oh, more on topic:

Someone sell me some Infinity Robes. :(

2dgucz6.png

^ HAWT.

Mod Maz posted in the Shattered Heart topic that whilst they were going to make small changes to the D&D (e.g. the Agility Rock and RC Change), nothing major will be done because she is now working on the Elite Diaries.

Can't be arsed to give you a QFC.

asrhasrh.jpg