Literature

Mr_Adam

In my English class we have to read To Kill a Mockingbird. I already read it in 7th grade, but I don't remember much from it. Pretty neutral on the book, I guess.

I also just purchased Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert.

Crazy, we have to read To Kill a Mockingbird in my class as well... But I haven't read it before. It's a pretty easy read though.

In Soviet Russia, glass eats OTers.

Alansson Alansson, woo woo woo!

Pink owns yes, just like you!

GOOOOOOOOOO ALAN! WOO!

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my English class we have to read To Kill a Mockingbird. I already read it in 7th grade, but I don't remember much from it. Pretty neutral on the book, I guess.

I also just purchased Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert.

Crazy, we have to read To Kill a Mockingbird in my class as well... But I haven't read it before. It's a pretty easy read though.

Yeah, TKAM and Romeo & Juliet are pretty standard freshmen reading requirements. I hated Romeo and Juliet though. TKAM seems pretty good.

I'm in 10th (Sophomore year) and the only thing that I've really enjoyed reading this year is Dante's Inferno.

So, basically Earthysun is Jesus's only son.

earthysig3.jpg

earthynorris.jpg

awwwwuo6.jpg

wootsiggiedagainhw5.jpg

algftw.jpg

I just thought about making a topic for this, but here is my review of my book taken off it!

For me- it has to be "The Hunger Games" books- I have read the first two, and am going to get the 3rd whenever I can, if you want an explanation, its basically a book about a girl who takes her sisters place in a TV show, The Hunger Games, where 12 boys and 12 girls are put into an arena, where they must fight to the death, until there is one left, they will be crowned the victor! (its a 13+ book, just to say! :ohnoes: ) its brilliant, if you get the chance, read it! (By Suzanne Collins)

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

I've just recently finished reading Dexter In the Dark, after having watched the series and I must say - the book was an amazing read, far more insightful than the series and such a great read. (How often that's the case. ;)) Will definitely be getting the other two.

I thought I should throw a few other books out there that I'd read and see if others had / recommend them. Two previous series that I've read not too long ago have been :-

• Tales of the Otori - Lian Hearn.
  • The Old Kingdom Trilogy - Garth Nix.

These two were fantastic, the Tales of the Otori was a lovely read, very well written and a fantastic story-line. I particularly enjoyed the first part, Across the Nightingale Floor. The Old Kingdom Trilogy is an intriguing fantasy series set around a magical concept. A very interesting plot as well as some great characters in it - would recommend it to any fantasy lovers. (Although of-course fantasy is a huge genre, very subjective even in itself!)

^ Lol, I looked up The Old Kingdom, and I've already read them, just under a different name.

I'm currently reading S.M. Stirling's work. It's interesting, with characters that I find profoundly unique, although I think that his writing has yet to really come of age: no enough compeition or comparasion in the genre of "post-apocalyptic-ASB-epic-tolkienized-post-modern-pseudo-medieval-fantasy.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

Right now I'm reading A Game of Thrones.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Just started rereading it yesterday myself. Hoping that Dance With Dragons FINALLY comes out soon.

p2gq.jpg

I have indeed been reading a fair bit of literature recently, currently I've been read the National Cooperative Approach to Integrated Coastal Zone Management, Framework and Implementation Plan. If anyone is interested in reading, here is the link. Truely amazing stuff.

rosssigfinal.jpg

Right now I'm reading The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. It's one of the better books I've read recently.

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

Right now I'm reading The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. It's one of the better books I've read recently.

The fountainhead was an excellent book, but I preferred her most famous book, Atlas Shrugged, which I just finished last week. Currently I'm about halfway through War and Peace, and next up is either the Koran or Torah, I'm not sure.

i'm reading a book by Camilo Jose Cela called Christ Versus Arizona. i'm in arizona and i enjoy theology but thats not the reason i picked it up. Cela is known for his experimental writing, Christ Versus Arizona is written entirely in one sentence! over 200 pages of no periods, no paragraphs, just one sentence. and it makes sense. there are literally hundreds of characters and amazing stories behind them. its easily becoming one of my favorite novels

monoclesmilecopy.jpg

i'm reading a book by Camilo Jose Cela called Christ Versus Arizona. i'm in arizona and i enjoy theology but thats not the reason i picked it up. Cela is known for his experimental writing, Christ Versus Arizona is written entirely in one sentence! over 200 pages of no periods, no paragraphs, just one sentence. and it makes sense. there are literally hundreds of characters and amazing stories behind them. its easily becoming one of my favorite novels

I think you might like Vikram Seth's "The golden gate" which is a novel entirely in verse.

I started the complete short stories of Ernest Hemingway recently. The classics are underrated by those with a taste for modern literature in my opinion. they have withstood the test of time, and i have yet to read a classic and not thoroughly enjoy it, also for what they're worth: a window into the attitudes of the past.

Currently reading Frederic Forsyth's "Fist Of God" novel. Great book following the story of a spy and his associates in the Gulf War.

I'm be reading "Apache" by Ed Macy next, it's more or less the story of an Apache helicopter pilot.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

I started the complete short stories of Ernest Hemingway recently. The classics are underrated by those with a taste for modern literature in my opinion. they have withstood the test of time, and i have yet to read a classic and not thoroughly enjoy it, also for what they're worth: a window into the attitudes of the past.

like an epic poem?

i looove anything from the lost generation. before this, i was reading ezra pound, amazing poetry and he made essays worthwhile

monoclesmilecopy.jpg

GGS.jpg

Just bought this, its pretty interesting, but his word choice/sentence structure is obnoxious tbh.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

like an epic poem?

i looove anything from the lost generation. before this, i was reading ezra pound, amazing poetry and he made essays worthwhile

The golden gate is written entirely in "Onegin sonnets" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onegin_stanza. the content is contemporary though, featuring the golden gate (bridge) etc. It's apparently the longest poem ever written, or at least was when it was published.

The book I'm reading has actually made me change my mindset about the creation of the world. Though I still don't believe in Evolution, I've realized that after all this time, saying that the world is only 10,000 years old IS ridiculous.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Teacher made us decide on a book to read for our book report yesterday. I have played the Hobbit video game but never read the book, so i chose that. gonna get started soon.

I seems to really only like fantasy (of basically any sort) and Sci-Fi. Favorite series are Redwall series, Inheritance Cycle, Inkheart series, and Harry Potter (i know it's clichéd but they're good and interesting, i red the whole series twice a year, around june and october )

Oh yeah and i forgot i love the Gregor the Overlander series, just read it last september. Good read.

The ending of the last Gregor book made me cry :(

GGS.jpg

Just bought this, its pretty interesting, but his word choice/sentence structure is obnoxious tbh.

I had to read that book in 2 weeks so I could do a presentation about china vs western europe. It was rough.

I agree that his wording is a bit strange, but after reading The Third Chimpanzee and GG&S, I find I can "scan" his sentences in his book Collapse and know what he's talking about even though I don't actually read the phrase. It's fun when you have thick books to read.

hiccup.png

I've been reading a historical thriller, by S.J. Parris Heresy. I've never read one worth finishing before, but it actually is fairly well written, and the characters are quite compelling. What I lack certainty about though, is whether my tastes have changed, or if it's actually better than those that I've read before.

Onto some Sci-fi... sorry, SF that a friend of mine insists on me trying. Apparently, I can't just stop at Starship Troopers. Next up, Ringworld.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

I'm reading Homage to Catalonia by Orwell at the moment, his experiences during the Spanish Civil War. Very good after just finishing Down and Out in Paris and London.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.