Combating RWT

dragon246665

First off, this is not a rant thread at all, sorry trolls if I lead you on by the thread title. Second, if this should be moved to the suggestions part of the forum I understand, but I would like it to stay here if possible. Alright onto the topic now.

Recently I have taken a break from Runescape, as many others have before me. To fill the gap of Runescape I went over to Eve. For those of you who don't know, Eve is a MMO, except sci-fi. Now, I'm not going to go into detail about my thoughts on the gameplay of Eve versus Runescape, I'm just going to talk about one very clever RWT fighting aspect of Eve.

Eve, just like almost all of the other MMOs out there, suffers from sites selling in game currency for real life cash. Needless to say, many MMO companies try and find solutions to this problem. Some do mass bannings, some restrict in-game freedoms, some do this that and the other thing, whatever, the bottom line is usually more rules and less fun for all of the "law abiding" players. Now, in Eve, to prevent RWTing, CCP (makers of Eve) have instituted a system called "PLEX trading". All in all its like RWTing, except through the company, I'll explain.

Have you ever seen those prepaid Runescape time cards at Target or Walgreens? In some stores there are Eve cards. Now, if you have a Runescape card, you can only activate it then go and play members. In Eve however, you can use the timecard to create an in-game item, called a PLEX. When activated, a PLEX gives you 30 days of membership. Now, here is where Eve starts to battle RWT. Instead of using your PLEX, you can put it on the market for others to buy.

By placing the PLEX on the market, you no longer have the ability to activate the 30 days of membership, but you have just recieved some in-game currency. So all in all you spent real money to get in-game currency, but all of the profits went to the game, and not some RWT website.

I think that Runescape should impliment some sort of PLEX like system, because it would help fight RWT, bring more money to Jagex, and give membership to people who are either too lazy to buy membership in real life or against spending their money on Runescape. I just think that its an ingenious system overall.

Okay there you have it, discuss.

Rejected.jpg

I'd go for this, but most people will have this reaction:

fuuuuuuu.png

People have been taught that RWT is bad, and they in general don't care to take action to minimize its negative aspects, which institutionalizing it would do.

EDIT: There's already a similar discussion here, if you are interested.

I'm pretty sure Jagex has taken a company policy to never sell gold for real money in Runescape (not other games).

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Yeah, the only downside I can see is EVERYTHING crashing. You have those snobby 9 year old kids who will slam their little heads into the floor until their parents buy 10 of these cards. they will in return buy rare items, which will crash the price.

Imo, NO

FEARLESStag.jpg
stuff.png

what i'm doing now:

soundcloud.com/student1

Wasn't there a Tip.it article about something similar not to long ago?

IMO though, I would never ever be ok with this happening unless the 'buyable' items were unique and gave NO bonuses.

Edit: I didn't understand what you meant until I read it again. I still highly disagree with the ability to buy in game currency though.

2czeqeh.jpg

IMO though, I would never ever be ok with this happening unless the 'buyable' items were unique and gave NO bonuses.

Theres already a topic similar to this in debate club

Here

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

Here

Oh cool, this is the article I was talking about though,

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?times=390

And here is the quote,

“We did once consider selling Runescape money and items in an online shop on our own site for real cash. However we decided to sacrifice that extra revenue for the good of the game, since we felt it would devalue hard-working players achievements if another player could then just buy their way past them. We don't want rich players to be able to simply buy their way to the top. This is clearly not how the game is meant to be played.”
2czeqeh.jpg

Here

Dang, I guess thats what I get for not doing my research.

Rejected.jpg

We don't want rich players to be able to simply buy their way to the top. This is clearly not how the game is meant to be played.”

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!

It's a bit late for that now Jagex.

Popoto.~<3

One of two things will happen.

1. Jagex sells gold, huge money influx, item prices skyrocket due to massive inflation (We already know there are plenty of people willing to spend massive amount of real life money for in game money)

2. Jagex sells items and gold, confidence in the entire economy collapse as people refuse to buy items such as GS/Sp shields due to fear of price crash. These items however wont even come close to the devastating impact it will have on the rares market as the only leverage rares have over regular items is lost. Phats and Santas along with other discontinues literally becomes useless.

Either way, the players loses. Those who buys in game gold will find that by the time they have the gold, the real value of money in game have plummeted greatly. Those who does not participate in this will also lose as the entire economy crumbles.

120dgl.jpg

Scenario:

Little timmy asked all his family to give him runescape plex cards for christmas

All his friends ask him for advice, he's really pro.

Little timmy foolishly gives his password to a phising site

Someone steals all little timmys money (or drops it on the floor/party room)

Now little timmy player hasnt just lost a bunch of worthless pixels but potentially lots and lots of real money too.

I hope this never happens. I like being on a semi-level playing field with everyone else in the game.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Scenario:

Little timmy asked all his family to give him runescape plex cards for christmas

All his friends ask him for advice, he's really pro.

Little timmy foolishly gives his password to a phising site

Someone steals all little timmys money (or drops it on the floor/party room)

Now little timmy player hasnt just lost a bunch of worthless pixels but potentially lots and lots of real money too.

I hope this never happens. I like being on a semi-level playing field with everyone else in the game.

Here's the link for this story:

Rinoa_tilly.png

STATS

[hide]Rinoa_tilly.png[/hide]

I believe the creators of RS were informed about the method in Eve in an interview before, and replied that the game's mechanics as they are now, can't cope with such a thing.

The concept's fair enough though. Bit overcomplicated for my taste, personally. I think that the trade limit in RS is doing a pretty good job.

zj7y4z.gif

DeeKay.png

1. Jagex sells gold, huge money influx, item prices skyrocket due to massive inflation (We already know there are plenty of people willing to spend massive amount of real life money for in game money)

I think this sums up my opinion on what will happen quite nicely, and god knows we don't need MORE inflation.

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew

To be honest, Jagex stomped out a vast majority of RWT leaving only a few kinds left. Those kinds that are left have very little impact on the community compared to the RWT of old.

The trade limit is inconvenient, but not bad in the grand scheme of things. But allowing things to be purchased in one way or another for real money from Jagex would destroy the game.

I don't know about you but I bet most people would be willing, if it was allowed, to do 10 hours of real life work to get an item for a game instead of spending 100+ game hours to get it (EG. Spirit Shields).

The EVE strategy might work for other games but Runescape would never be able to apply that method. It would change the game to a point where it wouldn't be enjoyable long-term for anyone.

All economic issues asside (and the effect would be disasterous), if Jagex changed their stance on RL effecting RS, then RWTers would take this as an invitation to come back. In order for Jagex to make any money they would have to charge say, $5 per mill. All the RWTers have to do is offer GP at $4 per mill. Then there goes all of Jagex's GP customers and the RWTers just have to put on their sites; "Cheaper then Jagex, and if they're selling GP why can't we?".

Great idea IMO. Of course the idealists will scream that Jagex is no longer living up to the ideal of people not being able to buy their way to the top, and in a perfect world that would be possible. Unfortunately to achieve even remotely close to that we have had to make some pretty huge sacrifices, one of those being a free market, and the full loot PvP system. That is what happens when you chase ideals in the real world.

Here's one scenario for you: Jagex implements this, opens up free trade, gives us back the full loot PvP system, BUT they still make alternative methods of RWT against the rules. So, who do you think the little bratty kids are going to buy gold from? Jagex, which would be perfectly legal, or from Chinese gold sites, who of course sell it for cheaper, but they run the risk of their accounts being banned? Jagex of course. Brats like that don't care how much money their parents are spending, all they care about is getting their precious in game pixels.

Oh for the love of Guthix, I don't think anybody here wants to hear about this any more. RWT has been fixed. Sure, we've lost some aspects of the game, but evidently not the aspects that made this game popular or fair. The job is finished.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

A lot of you don't seem to understand the concept, NO money would enter the game from a Runescape PLEX, money would just go from the player buying the PLEX to the player selling the PLEX.

In my mind, a Runescape PLEX would be an item in Runescape, when you activate a real life time-code you have the option of getting 30 days of membership, or getting an in-game item. If you decide to take the item, the next time you log in, there will be a little message, sort of like the "One or more of your grade exchange offers has been updated" except this one will be like "Talk to a banker to recieve your PLEX". After talking to a banker you would get an item in your inventory, it would be sort of like a tele-tab, once you click it a little window appears and it asks you to confirm wether or not you want to activate 30 days of membership. If you decide to take the membership, the tab will disappear and you will be a member.

All in all no money would enter the game.

Rejected.jpg

If jagex implemented this system, or one similar to it, I would quit.

Ever consider the reason why RuneScape is so large is because its different than Eve, WoW, or all the other MMORPGs. Not necessarily the content, but the business model.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪