12-Apr-2010 - Dungeoneering Skill!

12pure34

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would the rc thing work with deaths or does it have to be bloods?

More important question if you ask me: Will this be considered as bug abuse?

How much xp/hour in runecrafting are we talking about here?

afaik 1/10th of the original exp.

People hate it because they have to think more than while training FM for example .. or fishing. Its just not boring, that's why they think its not a skill.

This couldn't be more true. LOL. We get a skill that we can actually play and interact with, instead of sit there and do a job that could be done by one of those birds that bobs up and down, and people think that this is MORE boring.

Please make this skill less boring! All the other skills are so much more exciting when I just sit in the bank and turn tons of logs into fire! Or when I sit still at a fishing spot by myself and catch 1000s of the same fish and then throw them in my bank! These things are clearly more exciting!

The people complaining don't play Runescape to actually enjoy the game. They want a new skill to be something that they can mindlessly level up so they can play the game of "Whose is bigger?"

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Does anyone else think that the track 'Born To Do This' is amazingly epic? It's the one you hear at the entrance of Daemonheim.

I quite agree! It sounds like music I'd hear on another game. It's definitely not the usual music you hear on Runescape but I like it a lot. :)

Miss_Death.png

/offtopic

IMHO they should make the new fishing minigame the way you train fishing generally.

Just an example of a better runescape :D The minigames are way better than the original training. I hope D is just the beginning.

works with any runes, but bloods give more exp as usual :D

My rough calculations say I'm sticking with ZMI... :rolleyes:

works with any runes, but bloods give more exp as usual :D

My rough calculations say I'm sticking with ZMI... :rolleyes:

but i can do homework / something else entirely, while not afking of course, so in reality it's rc exp i'd never gain otherwise. each to their own i guess

Does anyone else think that the track 'Born To Do This' is amazingly epic? It's the one you hear at the entrance of Daemonheim.

I quite agree! It sounds like music I'd hear on another game. It's definitely not the usual music you hear on Runescape but I like it a lot. :)

Decided I'd give it a listen.. And woah, the music for this skill is a lot more exciting than the rest of RS :P

'Tis I, 'tis Vindice, 'tis I!

People hate it because they have to think more than while training FM for example .. or fishing. Its just not boring, that's why they think its not a skill.

This couldn't be more true. LOL. We get a skill that we can actually play and interact with, instead of sit there and do a job that could be done by one of those birds that bobs up and down, and people think that this is MORE boring.

Please make this skill less boring! All the other skills are so much more exciting when I just sit in the bank and turn tons of logs into fire! Or when I sit still at a fishing spot by myself and catch 1000s of the same fish and then throw them in my bank! These things are clearly more exciting!

The people complaining don't play Runescape to actually enjoy the game. They want a new skill to be something that they can mindlessly level up so they can play the game of "Whose is bigger?"

You made some valid points earlier, but now you've gone overboard. While what you say may be true in many cases, there *are* valid reasons why some people don't like this skill, and even why they don't consider it to be a skill.

The recent trend in Jagex's updates, and even new skills, has been greater integration and synergy with existing skills and gameplay. This so-called skill goes in the exact *opposite* direction. While you need to use some of your real skills to do it, this is only based on level and nothing else, and there is virtually NOTHING going in the other direction. Aside from the item rewards, your Dungeoneering level has ZERO impact on the rest of the game. And that will remain so until Jagex artificially changes it by putting Dungeoneering requirements on quests.

The issue is not whether or not it is boring -- all RS skills are boring. Certainly this is far less boring than catching 1.5 million chinchompas. But that's not the point.

Where is the overall enhancement to the game here? I don't see it. It's a pocket world where you don't really get to take advantage of anything in RS itself except skill numbers.

Where is the creativity here? I don't see it, except for a few new bosses. Everything has been rehashed and recycled.

This used to be a standalone game, and unfortunately, it shows. Sticking it on an island and making tokens you can trade for items is not integration -- it's the model for an optional minigame. They copped out by not even making an attempt to create a real skill.

A real Dungeoneering skill would allow you to develop abilities that could be used for other skills and other dungeons and other bosses. They could have made it so at a particular Dungeoneering level you got a small combat bonus against certain monsters in dungeons. Or maybe the ability to enter the Lumbridge caves without a lantern. A faster healing ability. A new fishing spot in the dungeon with better fish if you had the Dungeoneering level for it. Underground plants for woodcutting with the right Dungeoneering level. Special types of food. New armor that required adding pieces you got from Dungeoneering bosses.

On and on. The sky's the limit here, but they didn't even get off the ground. They took the easy way out.

And don't even get me started on the gameplay balance issues. There's no excuse whatsoever for an item that has a nominal level of 21 that can't be unlocked until level 74.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Firstly, MMG already said they have "more on the way".

Secondly, creativity? Have you not noticed the puzzles? Something other than HEY DUDE CLICK HERE EIGHT HUNDRED THOUSAND TIMES!

I admit, when I woke up this morning I did think "I'm not really getting anything out of this", but I'm enjoying myself and in the long run I will have a substantial reward that I will be very pleased with.

At first I thought the concept of this being a skill was ridiculous, but then I began to think about it.

Yes, everything about the way this things runs screams "It's a minigame!" but I believe that when Jagex was adapting this into Runescape, but certain things make somewhat sense here. The requirment of levels to buy certain equipments and the like could easily have done through "ranks" or something similar, but having 1-99 available ranks fits into a skill fairly well.

Also, nowhere does it say that Demonheim IS Dungeoneering. Demonheim is simply the only way to Dungeoneer. Have you not considered the possibility of other Instance Areas in the future? Having them all be able to tie each other together through dungeoneering is the best way to do this.

And lastly, I honestly don't give a damn what it's called. It's fun and I like it, so I'm going to play it even if the title seems a might bit off.

I was thinking this exactly.

What if Jagex already made a 2nd batch much like summoning and that we soon get a 2nd dungeon to explore? :o

I wouldn't recommend they release it soon. I'd expect at least a year to pass, possibly more, before we see another dungeon.

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Do you hate Wyverns or Warped Terrorbirds? Think again! Misunderstood Monsters!

Want to become a Champion of Champions like I once was? Champion Scroll Guide!

Feeling Bored? List of Sidequests

Rare Drops: Dragon Sq Half : 1, Dragon Med : 2, Dragon Claws : 2, Dragon Legs : 1, Dragon Boots : 60+, Granite Legs: 8

Firstly, MMG already said they have "more on the way".

Secondly, creativity? Have you not noticed the puzzles? Something other than HEY DUDE CLICK HERE EIGHT HUNDRED THOUSAND TIMES!

I admit, when I woke up this morning I did think "I'm not really getting anything out of this", but I'm enjoying myself and in the long run I will have a substantial reward that I will be very pleased with.

You don't get the point, as long as the skill doesn't give something back to other skills, such as allowing players to smuggle a limited quantity of dungeon resources out for training and use above ground, it doesn't matter if there's 10 more of such dungeons, or an expansion of the 'reward' list.

To use an analogy, let's say smithing is added to the game when it just started. Instead of just using the ores found in the game to smith, gain XP add the products to the game, you get teleported to an instanced smithing dungeon, collect fanciful looking ores, make fanciful looking items, end the trip, and a NPC tells you how your 'performance' earns you tokens, which you trade tons for a single rune berserker shield.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

You made some valid points earlier, but now you've gone overboard. While what you say may be true in many cases, there *are* valid reasons why some people don't like this skill, and even why they don't consider it to be a skill.

*cut*

And don't even get me started on the gameplay balance issues. There's no excuse whatsoever for an item that has a nominal level of 21 that can't be unlocked until level 74.

I disagree wholeheartedly. There is nothing that says a skill needs to become part of the RS world. But this skill is not an isolation from the RS world, though. Even though we dont use Dungeoneering outside of its island, we get the opposite effect. All of your training in other skills pays of for this skill.

Also your new point is also silly. The skill is not integrated into the game? Lets look at some examples.

When you are doing any skill aside from slayer, where does your slayer level mean anything? Is slayer therefore a bad skill also? Slayer is not a part of the RS world any more than dungeoneering. At least Dungeoneering uses all your other skills. Slayer just uses combat. You gain some benefits from having other skills, like the ability to use shortcuts, and overloads, etc. But none of it is really a part of the skill.

Where do I use Hunter aside from when I am training hunter? To train hunter or benefit from hunter, you go to hunter specific zones and use the skill. Where do I use farming aside from when I am farming in farming patches?

You don't get the point, as long as the skill doesn't give something back to other skills, such as allowing players to smuggle a limited quantity of dungeon resources out for training and use above ground, it doesn't matter if there's 10 more of such dungeons, or an expansion of the 'reward' list.

You must have missed the part where there is a list of 20 rewards you can use outside of the game. How is this nothing? How is SOMETHING nothing?

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Why does it have to give back something to Hunter?

Does Construction let you do more Fishing?

Does agility let you do more firemaking?

To be fair, Qeltar's point about reward makes sense. What is the point of putting a level 21 dungeoneering requirement on the bonecrusher when it requires level 74 worth of experience? There is definitely something wrong there.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

I have to agree with Qeltar. Nothing from this skill affects the game outside of itself. Dungeoneering offers nothing to getting high levels other than going further into the skill. That right there puts it as a minigame. This would've been kickass on Funorb, but on RS it blows. You get no rewards from the skill itself only from the tokens you earn while training it. Also, while the rewards are very, very good, they're are very few of them at least as far a skill this size should have. After playing it for a day I have to say the Jagex laid a big goose egg with this thing.

A few other things that I've heard that I thought were funny.

"I'm a Catholic and even I thought this skill should've been aborted."

"This skill is basically like Jagex getting pregant, taking it to full term, then giving birth to a stillborn skill."

"This is the biggest mockery of the British since the movie "King Ralph."

Again, i'm not saying that. Just what I heard and thought were funny.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

To be fair, Qeltar's point about reward makes sense. What is the point of putting a level 21 dungeoneering requirement on the bonecrusher when it requires level 74 worth of experience? There is definitely something wrong there.

I dont think that a short-sight on the cost of the rewards, or perhaps a miscalculation, has anything to do with the actual skill itself. This is a problem with the design of how rewards are obtained, and I am not disagreeing with anyone who would say "Yeah this game is fun, but frankly, the token collection just doesnt make any sense"

Myweponsgood.gif